• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

cdyhybrid

So with the Raiders moving to Vegas and the new stadium getting built, there's chatter starting about moving the Pac-12 title game to Vegas since the basketball tournament is already there.

And some additional chatter about potential expansion including UNLV further down the road...

So with the Raiders moving to Vegas and the new stadium getting built, there's chatter starting about moving the Pac-12 title game to Vegas since the basketball tournament is already there.

And some additional chatter about potential expansion including UNLV further down the road...

They need to get their ACKademics up

impirius

The Spring Game time got moved up in order to accommodate the men's Final Four game and all of the sports articles are still about basketball and what universe am I in right now

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I didn't realize Harbaugh was just randomly hiring folks on his staff back in his Stanford days, lol:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356101

Kawata had thought about what he was going to say to Harbaugh before he entered his office. He told Harbaugh that he was a major influence in his football education, and that he remembered him as "Captain Comeback" from watching his games in Japan on grainy television broadcasts.

"I told him that story to make his mood better," Kawata said with a laugh.

"Do you love football?" Harbaugh asked.

"Yes, Coach, absolutely," Kawata replied.

"Come and join us," Harbaugh said.

And so, with an invitation to a spring practice and a knock on Harbaugh's door, Kawata embarked on his college-football-coaching odyssey.
He's one of only three members from Harbaugh's original staff still at Stanford, alongside defensive coordinator Lance Anderson and current head coach David Shaw, who remembers when he first saw "TK" on the practice field.

"It was one of those deals where, all of a sudden, Jim hired him and didn't tell anybody," said Shaw, who was Stanford's offensive coordinator at the time. "So [Kawata] walked out onto the field, and it was like, 'Who is this guy? He's on the field? He's got a clipboard?'"

He's still there so he just have been an ok hire.

The beauty is in the hire and then Harbaugh not telling anyone. I can imagine him asking about his first paycheck and being sent to payroll.

vZVdXts.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think this 1939 NFL footage in color showing players playing with limited pads and no facemask proves that even with less padding and protection, the players still hit just as hard as they would with all the protection they wear in the modern game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyD3XKhgHd8&feature=youtu.be

Today's issues are at least as much about the types of hits than the hardness of the hits, though. I doubt you'll see many shots in that link of someone driving their forehead into another guy's temple.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Penn State trustee believes the multi million dollar settlements were too much compensation for the abuse victims. Says hes "losing sympathy" for the victims because of all the money they have now. But no, Penn State learned their lesson and deserved to have a reduced football ban!!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rustee-little-sympathy-jerry-sandusky-victims

Should have gotten the death penalty.

The fact that the school got off with a slap on the wrist just emboldened the fanbase.

Friggin Notre Dame
Alabama

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rmer-clemson-quarterback-deshaun-watson-leave

After video circulated on social media of former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson allegedly being asked to leave a bar in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, on Friday, the establishment posted an apology to its customers and denied its employees were involved.

The incident, caught on cellphone video and distributed on social media, showed Watson leaving the Innisfree Irish Pub after a conversation with other patrons.

"Over the years we have had thousands of visitors from rival schools and have always treated them fairly. Today was not any different," the bar posted on Facebook. "The unfolding of (Friday's) events were not led by our staff or anyone employed by Innisfree Irish Pubs.

"Unfortunately a customer attempted to invoke the right to refuse service on our behalf and after being identified, was immediately asked to leave the premises following the incident."

Watson, who led Clemson to a 35-31 victory over Alabama in the College Football Playoff National Championship game in January, has not commented publicly on the incident.

Ohio State just got a big time 5 star DT out of Flordia, Taron vincent. Cant remember the last time we had a hyped DT coming in.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Ohio State just got a big time 5 star DT out of Flordia, Taron vincent. Cant remember the last time we had a hyped DT coming in.

Great example of the difference between the haves and have nots; an Ohio State fan acting like this guy that signed only two months ago doesn't exist when he would be the bell cow of most CFB signing classes. :jnc

El_Chino

I could never get excited about a commitment this far out from NSD.

Nothing to get excited about until that commit gets signed.

I always just kinda assume Saban is gonna get who he wants or else steal someone else's 5*, so I haven't followed recruiting since the 2008 class for real.

Vanillalite

I start paying attention in November/December when things start to heat up

This. Not that GT is exactly getting a ton of top recruits, but I'll peruse who we got after the regular season is over and it's bowl season.

I'm not checking that shit everyday though.

andycapps

I follow recruiting, at least to an extent. I know who's committed and such, but don't subscribe to any $9.95's or anything. I follow the beat guys as well as Bud Elliott. That's about it.

jfkgoblue

Great example of the difference between the haves and have nots; an Ohio State fan acting like this guy that signed only two months ago doesn't exist when he would be the bell cow of most CFB signing classes. :jnc
More like the difference between blue bloods and non-blue bloods with a few exceptions such as FSU.
I follow recruiting, at least to an extent. I know who's committed and such, but don't subscribe to any $9.95's or anything. I follow the beat guys as well as Bud Elliott. That's about it.
I never subscribed to a paywall site, but I used to follow it closely, now I will pay attention close to NSD, but IMO it's not worth it to worry year round about what 17 year old HS kids are doing about college choice.

Also shout out to the B1G corner on r/place!
PHSRNZL.png

cdyhybrid

I have a $9.95 subscription because they do a great job covering the team. The local newspaper is alright but the Scout guys do a lot more.

I follow recruiting but don't bother getting too into it until they sign.

Vanillalite

Gosh damn weather was bad here. Think there was a tornado this afternoon. Bad weather across the south east.

andycapps

Brian Kelly, y'all. Let's put aside the fact that he might be right and realize that he's hurting his player's draft odds and potentially souring other players or potential recruits.

Even if you think it's a bad idea, you don't say that.

"He should still be in college. ... He needs more time to grow in so many areas, not just on the field but off the field," Kelly told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Monday.

Several schools have already had them

I'm aware, though I'm unsure who they are. Really just meant everyone's teams here on GAF. I think FSU's is this weekend. There's and Bama's are the only two that'll be on ESPN. They're getting that marketing in early for the opener.

Brian Kelly, y'all. Let's put aside the fact that he might be right and realize that he's hurting his player's draft odds and potentially souring other players or potential recruits.

Even if you think it's a bad idea, you don't say that.

Brian Kelly killed a kid, I can't even feign shock here. He's the worst.

Florida is Friday night.

Bet. I'm (foolishly, since my team is in his conference) hoping McElwain can field any offense at all this year. Hard for me to wish the worst on him after his time in Tuscaloosa. And they open opposite Harbaugh this season, so, pls Jim.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
More like the difference between blue bloods and non-blue bloods with a few exceptions such as FSU.
Don't see any real difference between this and what I said.

I'm aware, though I'm unsure who they are. Really just meant everyone's teams here on GAF.

Tech had their spring game in Frisco this past weekend, though they have another open scrimmage in Lubbock this coming weekend that is for all intents and purposes a second Spring Game (open to the public, lot of recruits in town, a few surrounding events, etc.).

Also had a public remote scrimmage in Midland a few weeks ago but I don't think the production was big enough to really call a Spring Game.

Karl2177

Iowa State's is Saturday. There's nothing better to do and it's supposed to be 70 degrees again. Should be a good time.

jfkgoblue

I'm aware, though I'm unsure who they are. Really just meant everyone's teams here on GAF. I think FSU's is this weekend. There's and Bama's are the only two that'll be on ESPN. They're getting that marketing in early for the opener.

Brian Kelly killed a kid, I can't even feign shock here. He's the worst.

Bet. I'm (foolishly, since my team is in his conference) hoping McElwain can field any offense at all this year. Hard for me to wish the worst on him after his time in Tuscaloosa. And they open opposite Harbaugh this season, so, pls Jim.
Oh ok, we aren't having a spring game this year. And now I am sad.

And yeah Kelly is a giant POS, that is going to completely destroy a blueblood if ND doesn't fire him soon.
It is just a more specific way of saying it to help someone understand it a little better I guess.

Tech had their spring game in Frisco this past weekend, though they have another open scrimmage in Lubbock this coming weekend that is for all intents and purposes a second Spring Game (open to the public, lot of recruits in town, a few surrounding events, etc.).

Also had a public remote scrimmage in Midland a few weeks ago but I don't think the production was big enough to really call a Spring Game.

I didn't know you could have satellite spring games. How many is Jim Harbaugh hosting?

They didn't get good until Bobby Bowden in the 80's, blue bloods are the schools that have long histories, and FSU just doesn't have that.

Interesting. I knew that, but figured since they had an argument for one of the better dynasties in the sport, and have somewhat consistently been good since then, they'd joined the club.

Top Bottom