• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
He'd be called upon a lot for the fake punt. Teams will have to prepare on defense every time. Could be a weapon even if he's a below average NFL punter, the passing threat could make him valuable

Would be a tough row to hoe for the passing threat to make him valuable enough to make a 53 man roster IMO, especially if he's "below average" as a punter.

Hasn't been a punter since high school 7 years ago, hasn't been in football at ALL for about 2.5 years, and has in the past retired due to major concussion issues. That's a lot of baggage to bring along just so you can avoid a few punt block attempts and hit maybe 1 or 2 trick plays a year. I'd take stronger/more accurate kicking ability over keeping a punt coverage team "honest" when so many punts are just fair caught anyway.

I'm sure he'll manage to make a camp somewhere but those 53 roster spots are like gold.

Would be a tough row to hoe for the passing threat to make him valuable enough to make a 53 man roster IMO, especially if he's "below average" as a punter.

Hasn't been a punter since high school 7 years ago, hasn't been in football at ALL for about 2.5 years, and has in the past retired due to major concussion issues. That's a lot of baggage to bring along just so you can avoid a few punt block attempts and hit maybe 1 or 2 trick plays a year. I'd take stronger/more accurate kicking ability over keeping a punt coverage team "honest" when so many punts are just fair caught anyway.

I'm sure he'll manage to make a camp somewhere but those 53 roster spots are like gold.

I'm sure thats his ultimate goal anyway. You can still make 6 figures/yr on the practice squad, which is more than what he would make selling insurance

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure thats his ultimate goal anyway. You can still make 6 figures/yr on the practice squad, which is more than what he would make selling insurance

Not a lot of faith in that Texas degree, eh? ;)

I don't follow it too closely but I don't think there are many punters on practice squads. There are only 10 practice squad slots per team so those are pretty exclusive even if not as exclusive as the main roster. I think 6 figures is only guaranteed for a practice squad player if you're on it the whole season, at which point it ends up being something just barely over $100k. You can make more, but a guy like Ash isn't likely to sign more than a minimum contract.

I'd guess he'll be more in the maybe $10-20k range after signing to go to a camp and then getting released. IIRC the signing bonus for camp tryout guys is in the $5-10k range and then it's about $1k per week as long as you last.

::edit::
Some menial google searching shows I remembered pretty close to the right number. Practice squad pay for 2016 was $6,900 per week minimum, which is $117,300 for a full season. 2016 camp tryouts paid $925 per week for rookies and the UDFA they followed in that article got a $5k signing bonus.

Not a lot of faith in that Texas degree, eh? ;)

I don't follow it too closely but I don't think there are many punters on practice squads. There are only 10 practice squad slots per team so those are pretty exclusive even if not as exclusive as the main roster. I think 6 figures is only guaranteed for a practice squad player if you're on it the whole season, at which point it ends up being something just barely over $100k. You can make more, but a guy like Ash isn't likely to sign more than a minimum contract.

I'd guess he'll be more in the maybe $10-20k range after signing to go to a camp and then getting released. IIRC the signing bonus for camp tryout guys is in the $5-10k range and then it's about $1k per week as long as you last.

::edit::
Some menial google searching shows I remembered pretty close to the right number. Practice squad pay for 2016 was $6,900 per week minimum, which is $117,300 for a full season. 2016 camp tryouts paid $925 per week for rookies and the UDFA they followed in that article got a $5k signing bonus.

interesting insight. I thought Practice Squad players got more $ but I was wrong. Thats what I get for basing my knowledge of NFL practice squads off a Daniel Tosh joke about Brett Favre.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
interesting insight. I thought Practice Squad players got more $ but I was wrong. Thats what I get for basing my knowledge of NFL practice squads off a Daniel Tosh joke about Brett Favre.

Favre wouldn't have been eligible for the practice squad. Too much game experience. 53-man roster players have a different minimum than practice squad players.

Practice squad players are also basically free to negotiate with any team that wants to sign them to their main roster, so oftentimes (most of the time?) teams do pay more than the minimum practice squad contract just to keep their guys from getting poached; I just don't think Ash would be one of those guys.

Piggus

We decided to get back the two season tickets that we had let go of and will just sell them when they aren't needed. Yay!

Nick Saban is already in midseason form. Rips into a reporter for asking whether they're going more "ball control" on offense now. Hilarious. I find it funny how he answers the question and then it immediately turns into a rant about the question itself.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/03/nick_saban_rants_says_alabama.html

Nick is fucking hilarious lol

I was one of the people a bit confused on the media assuming Alabama was about to completely abandon the spread. I still think Nick has a hybrid of the two systems in mind, he just needs his QB to be able to throw it well. All depends on how well Jalen develops, I guess.

Anyone got a mock top 25 for the next season?

Karl2177

I was one of the people a bit confused on the media assuming Alabama was about to completely abandon the spread. I still think Nick has a hybrid of the two systems in mind, he just needs his QB to be able to throw it well. All depends on how well Jalen develops, I guess.

1. Kansas
2. Beat
3. Texas;
4. Next
5. Up
6. Bama

Bruh, Jalens old news he'll never see a snap again. Its Tua time.

andycapps

1. Bama
2-25. Everyone else

Leach is also in midseason form.
v55gZev.jpg

Never joke about corn dogs when Cyan is around.

#1 in the preseason -- and in everybody's hearts -- is Rutgers. #2 can be Alabama, if you're into that whole charity thing.

Nick is gonna run whatever offense and defense he needs to run in order to win. He's adjusted both schemes multiple times during his run at Alabama, it's part of why he stays on top.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bruh, Jalens old news he'll never see a snap again. Its Tua time.

It's funny how many people actually think this. So many who were hyped up for him and praying he would start during the offseason are now saying he's trash and Tua should start.

I'd rather be stuck in a cycle of starting a new senior QB every year than start a true freshman every season.

andycapps

It's funny how many people actually think this. So many who were hyped up for him and praying he would start during the offseason are now saying he's trash and Tua should start.

I'd rather be stuck in a cycle of starting a new senior QB every year than start a true freshman every season.

Edit: oops dp

If he can learn how to complete a pass further than 10-15 yards he'd be great. The jump from a freshman year to sophomore year is usually pretty huge, so we'll see.

I actually think Bama and FSU should end up 1 & 2 preseason, with Ohio State at 3. Clemson should land somewhere in the top 6, but I think people are overrating Michigan a bit right now. They lose a ton of production this year.

I try not to react to all the Tua hype lol. Jalen could end up being the next Brandon Harris, but after going 13-1 as a starter, he should probably be getting the benefit of the doubt. He didn't get the benefit of a redshirt year coming in, and still looked mostly great. Here's hoping he makes the kind of leap Lamar Jackson did.

andycapps

I actually think Bama and FSU should end up 1 & 2 preseason, with Ohio State at 3. Clemson should land somewhere in the top 6, but I think people are overrating Michigan a bit right now. They lose a ton of production this year.

I try not to react to all the Tua hype lol. Jalen could end up being the next Brandon Harris, but after going 13-1 as a starter, he should probably be getting the benefit of the doubt. He didn't get the benefit of a redshirt year coming in, and still looked mostly great. Here's hoping he makes the kind of leap Lamar Jackson did.
Did he look mostly great, though? I don't think he did. I think there were many games they won in spite of his play because they were able to score NOT's or give the ball back with a short field.

Did he look mostly great, though? I don't think he did. I think there were many games they won in spite of his play because they were able to score NOT's or give the ball back with a short field.

He looked better passing the ball early in the season. He just…hit a wall. And I mean, you expect that to happen with true freshmen QB's. We also won a few games because of him, and despite the fact his limitations played a part in costing us a natty, the last time the nigga touched the rock was in the most stressful situation you can put a collegiate QB in. And he scored to give us the lead.

He could be the next Brandon Harris for sure, but I seriously doubt it. He's gonna be fine. Especially if we improve our interior line play, cause it was pretty laughable last season. Hard to get a kid comfortable passing in the pocket when you've got a turnstile for a guard.

I mean even with his struggles Alabama was 19th in adjusted offensive efficiency:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

S&P has them as the 9th best offense: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff

2nd in rushing and 25th in passing, they're basically identical to Louisville in both categories.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Tua is going to win five Heismans.

Tua isn't going to win any Heismans

Tua's going to win 5 Tua Awards, a name correction of the useless Heisman name. A fucking Auburn Coach from 100 years ago, he ain't no athlete pawwwl

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/new-arkansas-law-guns-razorbacks-games-article-1.3006565

The most intimidating place to play in the SEC may soon belong to Arkansas.

A law may allow fans to bring their guns in with them when they go to University of Arkansas football and basketball games.

Governor Asa Hutchinson signed a bill Wednesday that will allow people with concealed handgun licenses to carry in places like colleges, bars, government buildings and even the Capitol. Those with licenses would have to undergo up to eight hours of active-shooter training in order to do so.

“This bill, in my view, reflects the will of the General Assembly and is constitutional and will balance public safety and the Second Amendment,” Hutchinson said about signing the law.

The law will go into effect on Sept. 1, but it’s likely Arkansas residents won’t be able to carry weapons into the newly approved locations until 2018.

Democratic Rep. Greg Leding, whose district includes the University of Arkansas, said the new law is “horrifying” since it could allow people to bring weapons into sporting events.

“People like to have a good time before the game, during the game, people get emotional and angry during the game,” Leding said. “I think the idea of introducing loaded weapons into those situations is just ridiculous."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh god

I can see the headline now where drunk fans start to heckle each other which turns into a fight and someone whips out their pistol.

:(

Lonestar

Would have loved to see the SEC/NCAA's reaction to that idea. Like, force a team to play all home games out of state :jnc

Lonestar

David Crary‏Verified account
@CraryAP

Follow
More
Breaking from @AP: Penn State ex-president convicted of one count of child endangerment over handling of Jerry Sandusky molestation scandal

giphy.gif

Top Bottom