• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

bpfd

This.. I think the two of them knew that Braxton being hurt and possibly switching made it an easier sell.

Cardale had actually beaten JT for the number 2 spot before Braxton got hurt and then the coaches reset the competition to decide who was starting and then JT won. Before the season, Cardale was debating on transferring before Herman got a hold of him and convinced him to stick it out.

Obviously, we're glad he did.

It all worked out, JT was the better QB for the offense. Cardale was the perfect fit for the 3 game run since there was no real game footage of him, I dont think we beat Bama if JT plays in that game. We beat Oregon regardless.

Who would y'all say are your teams most underrappreciated players among the fanbase?

I think Damien Harris is easily ours. Hell, he may be among the most underappreciated in the Saban era.

Texas just landed the #1 DT in the state for 2018. Back up to #3 in the 247 ranks. We coming for you Miami!

36058079250_14c913fa76_z.jpg

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

Come February we'll be outside the top 10 but this is pretty sweet.

He's one of the best punters in CFB and people truly don't appreciate the value of a good punt.

Shoot, we love Scott over here lmao

People don't appreciate Tua Tagovailoa.

I appreciate him backing up the greatest true freshman QB ever, thank you very much.

Still weird not to see Alabama there.

It's August. Texas will fall, Alabama will get theirs, and all will be as it was on January 7, 2010.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Sorry, Michael Eugene Stallings, we can't talk about your time at the Capstone.

Currently.

Punter, huh? Can't relate. God, I'm gonna miss JK Scott after this season.
To me, he would have been the MVP of the Sugar Bowl if y'all would have came back and won against us.

So infuriating that even if we'd get a stop, he'd basically flip the field and put us in no man's land. He was lights out in that game and showed he could make every type of punt in that game.

Nialrot

Here's my annual reminder that UCF leads the all time series against Alabama 1-0.

God Bless Mike DuBose

Yo!

Looking forward to UCF football this year. Team and schedule have the potential for some fun surprises.

Question marks going into 2017 would be Milton in Year 2, OL consistency and young secondary.

However, Frost in Year 3 with what he has recruited should be pretty legit. Some of those transfers are going to be good next year as well.

Thoughts?

ryseing

Look, we all know that Duke has a superior football program to UNC and NC State. It is historically, the top football program in North Carolina. Coach Cutcliffe is an amazing head coach who is a Duke institution.

Wake Forest is the best program in the state. Which school has the most recent ACC championship? Exactly.

Please God give us one before I die.

ryseing

1989 Steve Spurrier. All time, folks.

Though my favorite ACC stat is from the round ball, and this is for thread newcomers as I'm sure I've said this before, where despite being in the conference from day 1, 1953, Clemson has never won the ACC tournament. They're the only program to have never accomplished it that has been around that long. The only remaining teams not to have won all entered the conference over the past however long expansion has been happening. (Those would be Boston College and Virginia Tech from the earlier expansion, Louisville, Syracuse, and Pitt from the most recent round.) And, yes, South Carolina has more ACC tournament championships (1).

Miami, Notre Dame, and the earlier entrant Florida State have crossed that particular accomplishment off the list.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Also, I continue to struggle to remember if this is Tom Herman's first year at Texas or not.

is it?

He's been in and around the state. He was the OC at Rice a couple of years before I got there, so I imagine he's got strong recruiting ties to the city of Houston in general by now after his successful stint at UH.

I really do think he's a slam dunk hire for Texas (ugh).

Yo!

Looking forward to UCF football this year. Team and schedule have the potential for some fun surprises.

Question marks going into 2017 would be Milton in Year 2, OL consistency and young secondary.

However, Frost in Year 3 with what he has recruited should be pretty legit. Some of those transfers are going to be good next year as well.

Thoughts?

So it's hard because I haven't been able to see much practice/camp information. I do know Tyler Hudanick is apparently still going to be out for some extended time, so that's a blow to the OL. The RB corps and really all of the skill positions outside of QB look to be insane even this year. I've heard that QB Verdal has made some strides and has a good shot at playing time. Not sure what that says about MM, though. Defense seems like it'll be just as strong, if not stronger, than last year. Secondary of course is a concern, but the LB and line are so experienced and skilled, it may make up for some of the more green players in the secondary.

You're right, some of the early matchups will be interesting tests. I don't know how I feel about having a conference game so early, though. This could be the year Memphis ends their losing streak against us.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
He was a Grad Assistant at Texas under Mack Brown like 17 years ago. Its why Mack Brown attended Tom Hermans introductory press conference several months ago.

He's been in and around the state. He was the OC at Rice a couple of years before I got there, so I imagine he's got strong recruiting ties to the city of Houston in general by now after his successful stint at UH.

I really do think he's a slam dunk hire for Texas (ugh).

neither of these kind of answer me.

I have to assume the statement of "introductory" and "months ago" tell me that this is in fact his 1st year at Texas.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got a feeling this year GT is gonna win some games they shouldn't, but gonna lose some games they should win. Got playmakers, but I'm worried about the dropsies no matter who ends up being QB. :/

andycapps

Episode 26 - Not Quitting and Seeing Things Through

We discuss the consensus preseason rankings, an anonymous poll of FBS coaches voting on who is overrated and underrated, and we preview the Big 12 and Big 10.

Send in comments and questions to podcast@the-cog.com and rate us on iTunes and we will read the review if it's 5 star.

Subscribe here

Top Bottom