• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ComicGAF, who are your favorite underused characters? Mine's Taskmaster. [Long Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
TEXT WALL WARNING. This is a topic I'm enthusiastic about! I'm really excited to hear about any of ComicGAF's favorited underrated characters, so I figure I should go all out with mine.

Mine is Taskmaster, as my avatar reveals. I think he's the most brilliant character Marvel's ever come up with, and the fact that he's usually relegated to a cameo role or jobs for comedy's sake is an absolute tragedy.

For those of you who don't follow comics heavily or just haven't seen Taskmaster [very possible; despite being around for 36 years, he's only been in about 175 issues of comics total], his basic concept is pretty simple: much like some people have a photographic memory, The Taskmaster, AKA Tony Masters, has what he calls 'photographic reflexes', the ability to perfectly copy any physical action that he sees once. This includes not only combat skills, such as Captain America's shield-throwing, Hawkeye's archery, or Daredevil's acrobatics, but also other talents like cooking, driving, voice mimickry, and magic tricks. The limitation is that he can't do anything that a peak human couldn't do; watching Hulk pick up a car doesn't mean he can pick one up because he doesn't have the super strength, watching Captain Marvel fly doesn't mean he can fly, etc.

It's a pretty interesting kit that makes him a serious threat in the right hands, but what really sets Taskmaster apart is his mindset, personality, and attitude. Introduced as an Avengers villain in May of 1980, Taskmaster was a mercenary operative, but he was distinct from characters like Bullseye who just killed for money. You know all those henchmen and mooks that superheroes wiped out by the dozens? Taskmaster was established as the guy who trains and hires them out. His original backstory was that he was a mutant who decided to use his powers for training henchmen to avoid taking personal risks. They got the beatdowns, they got the jailtime, he got paid. What immediately stood out about Taskmaster was his sense of humor and pragmatic villainy in a time where most bad guys were either scheming masterminds or thuggish idiots. For quite a long time, Taskmaster was one of the only villains who never got arrested or captured; when things went wrong, he'd recognize he was out of depth and get the hell out of Dodge. When he did get into a fight, he always made it clear that it was nothing personal. Just business.

In a lot of ways, Taskmaster was the original Deadpool [in fact, the character that Deadpool's based off of, Deathstroke, is in turn based off Taskmaster, who was created six months earlier by the same person].Throughout the 1980s and early 90s, Taskmaster seemed to be on his way to becoming a street-level Marvel heavyweight, holding his own against the likes of Hawkeye, Spider-Man, Captain America, and on one occasion, even the entire Avengers roster. He was popular, he was deadly, and he was strangely likable.

Unfortunately -- well, speaking of Deadpool, Deadpool happened. 1997 is pretty much where things started going wrong for ol' Tasky. In an issue of Deadpool's ongoing at the time, he encounters Taskmaster, who has kidnapped and subsequently hired Wade's buddy Weasel to work for him. In their first fight, Taskmaster easily kicks Deadpool's ass with his photographic reflexes, but after Deadpool escapes from the cell that Taskmaster stuck him in, he manages to counter Tasky's reflexes by being so crazy and random that Task couldn't keep up. It was a creative, if strange way to beat the veteran mercenary, and that was that.

The problem is, subsequent writers took this idea and ran with it. A character that used to go toe-to-toe with The Avengers gradually became a joke, getting foiled comically by 'unpredictable' attacks that a few years before, he would have easily countered and turned against people. A promising self-titled miniseries in 2002 that tried to re-establish Tasky as a bon vivant mercenary with a culture streak a mile wide saw some success, but was almost immediately subverted by the 'Agent X' series of the same year, in which a character who shared some of Deadpool's traits essentially managed to humiliate Taskmaster and turn him into the 'sullen jerk best friend' archetype.

This streak of embarrassments largely continued until 2007, and after ten years of being treated like a punchline, the end pretty much seemed nigh for Taskmaster. This all changed when he was introduced as the new drill instructor in the Avengers: Secret Initiative run. Everything that made Taskmaster great was emphasized on: his drill sergeant personality, his wry sense of humor, his amoral pragmatism, his knowing when to quit, and his versatile skillset. We saw him try his hand at being a major villain and get dunked for it, but also hold his own against serious threats and prove himself a capable leader.

When the series concluded in 2009, Taskmaster had become a Marvel fan favorite. He got another miniseries in early 2010, which retconned his origin significantly. No longer a mutant, he instead became an amnesiac SHIELD agent who took an experiment mnemonic primer in an attempt to be the best soldier to ever live, and while he gained photographic reflexes, he forgot everything else; his name, his past, and even his wife, fellow agent Mercedes Merced. The series sold alright and was critically praised; it seemed like Taskmaster was about to become a breakout hit. He soon became a character in Capcom's Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Fox was even in early stages of making a Taskmaster movie [for some reason, his rights were tied into Daredevil's]. Hell, he even beat Deadpool a couple of times, finally getting past his apparent kryptonite.

The thing is, Marvel didn't capitalize. From 2011-2013, Taskmaster pretty much dropped off the radar. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it was his costume, an undies-on-the-outside set of tights with a giant cape and skull mask, that firmly planted him in the Silver Age. Maybe it was because Fox had his movie rights, and Marvel didn't get them back until early 2015. Maybe it was the fact that he made a useful 'one-shot' villain meant that it was risky to give him too much character development spotlight. Whatever their reasons, Marvel just stopped using him. He had an excellent appearance in 2013's Secret Avengers, brought to life by the tremendously talented Rick Remender, but since then, he's pretty much gone back to cameo status, especially post-Secret Wars in the All-New universe.

For all of the mercenaries and anti-villains in Marvel, Taskmaster remains a unique character to this day. Despite being barely featured in the comics, he pops up frequently in other media. He's the most-purchased hero on Marvel Heroes, was a major villain on the [admittedly terrible] Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and gets a surprising number of his own toys and merchandise. When written well, he's a rare blend of practicality and swagger, a likable example of a not-so-bad guy who knows his limits and just wants to get rich like a lot of us.

If you'd like to learn more about Tasky or see him in action, check out his awesome respect thread here.

I've rambled enough, GAF. Tell me about the comic book characters you think deserve more love!

He showed up recently Steve Roger's book.

He did, but it was another example of him being a one-off appearance that pretty much treated him like a joke. He made a flashy entrance, talked some shit, then got beaned in the head by Cap's new shield and got his lights punched out. It's pretty much a perfect example of how he went from teambuster to a running joke.

Prometheus!

As in Grant Morrison's DC "homage" to Taskmaster.
I haven't seen him much outside of his JLA run but I think he has a ton of potential, just like Taskmaster. They both strike me as characters that could sustain their own books with the right creative team so I'm surprised it hasn't really happened yet (that I know of). But we do have Christopher Priest's Deathstroke right now, that's close enough.

Prometheus!

I haven't seen him much outside of his JLA run but I think he has a ton of potential, just like Taskmaster. They both strike me as characters that could sustain their own books with the right creative team so I'm surprised it hasn't really happened yet (that I know of). But we do have Christopher Priest's Deathstroke right now, that's close enough.

I'm mostly a Marvel guy, but I did see one fight of Prometheus' that made him appear pretty badass. He has some kind of helmet that lets him download all the data he needs to beat his opponents, right?

Nether!

I liked his appearances in Agent X and I was dissapointed they got rid of his Udon outfit after the series ended, putting him back in his spooky pirate costume.

kswiston

I'm mostly a Marvel guy, but I did see one fight of Prometheus' that made him appear pretty badass. He has some kind of helmet that lets him download all the data he needs to beat his opponents, right?

Yes. Prometheus was immediately made lame after that initial story arc though. Cry for Justice was billed as building the character up as a credible threat again, but that was just an excuse to do more dumb shit.

Yep, he can learn anything on the fly Matrix-style. Batman hacked into his helmet and uploaded Stephen Hawking's physical profile in order to defeat Prometheus. Yes, that actually happened and it was glorious.

Alienous

I think Taskmaster's design holds him back.

I saw an animated Marvel movie that had him as the main antagonist and he held his own as a cool character while facing down Iron Man and Captain America. But in that movie they gave him a sleeker design that I think legitimized him somewhat.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
In a perfect and just world, Mr. Terrific (Holt) would receiving the push that Cyborg is. So much potential for great stories to be told with the character.

Sou Da

In a perfect and just world, Mr. Terrific would receiving the push that Cyborg is. So much potential for great stories to be told with the character.

I'll say it in every thread if I have to: Terrific and Blue Beetle can serve any purpose Cyborg does for the league and still be interesting.

kswiston

In a perfect and just world, Mr. Terrific would receiving the push that Cyborg is. So much potential for great stories to be told with the character.

Before they rebooted the DCU after Flashpoint, I liked the JSA crowd a lot more than I did the JLA.

Yes. Prometheus was immediately made lame after that initial story arc though. Cry for Justice was billed as building the character up as a credible threat again, but that was just an excuse to do more dumb shit.

So basically, he got the same nerfbat Tasky did. In that case, he has my sympathies.

I liked his appearances in Agent X and I was dissapointed they got rid of his Udon outfit after the series ended, putting him back in his spooky pirate costume.

Y'know, for a long time, I was a HUGE fan of the Udon costume, but the more I got into Taskmaster, the more I don't think it suits him. It looks cool on his own, but it's very...grim? And I think a big part of what makes Tony special is his flash, pizzazz, how he's clearly a businessman. His normal costume is absolutely butt-ugly a lot of the time, but it's also VERY recognizable. The dude has a silhouette, and if you line him up in a room full of villains he stands out. He's the king of brand recognition.

I also think that sometimes, his normal costume works -very- well. One example is during The Initiative; Humberto Ramos turned his mask into this kind of crazy-as-shit horse thing, and gave him a leaner, more nimble build that I think worked great:

ab2c52fb117afe48bbe574eaf19f1667.jpg

I think he looked INCREDIBLE there, and it made me realize I love his classic costume.

His Udon look is definitely 'cooler', but I'm not convinced Taskmaster -should- be cool. He's kind of a hilarious sore thumb, and I think it's part of his appeal.

He's really cool and he would be a better fit for the Justice League than Cyborg but it's tough for me to get over his damn T mask. Isn't he supposed to show up on Arrow? I don't watch that show anymore but I wonder if they'll actually try to replicate the mask.

Fury451

Banned
Jubilee

One of the more perplexing character developments in recent memory, and they basically squandered doing anything consistently cool with her

Jubilee

One of the more perplexing character developments in recent memory, and they basically squandered doing anything consistently cool with her

Jubilee's a good pick. Her whole vampire thing was super weird, but I really liked it when her and Laura Kinney became best friends. I wouldn't go so far as to say I ship them, but I sure feel like they had a lot more chemistry than Laura's ever had with anyone else, especially this [imo] terrible Angel romance arc she's being forced through.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
He's really cool and he would be a better fit for the Justice League than Cyborg but it's tough for me to get over his damn T mask. Isn't he supposed to show up on Arrow? I don't watch that show anymore but I wonder if they'll actually try to replicate the mask.

I think the T mask is totally awesome. The design really makes the character stand out. In fact his costume design is one of my favorites next to Nightwing and Red Hood. Dunno about Arrow, as I just dropped that trash long ago but I wouldn't be shocked if they watered down the character.

Before they rebooted the DCU after Flashpoint, I liked the JSA crowd a lot more than I did the JLA.

I'll say it in every thread if I have to: Terrific and Blue Beetle can serve any purpose Cyborg does for the league and still be interesting.
Yes, especially in regards to Blue Beetle. If they want a younger character on the JL team, Reyes is the way to go.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Sandman (Sandy Hawkins)

Sandman_(DC_Comics).jpg

In fact I'm just changing my avatar to him, straight up badass, he might get some comparisons with Batman due to the detective side they share but this guy just oozes style.

fushi

Shout out to OP for choosing Taskmaster. He would have been my pick as well. I really enjoyed his self-titled miniseries.

Sandman (Sandy Hawkins)

In fact I'm just changing my avatar to him, straight up badass, he might get some comparisons with Batman due to the detective side they share but this guy just oozes style.

It's not Sandy Hawkins but your post reminded me that Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of my favorite comics from the 90s. It got overshadowed by Neil Gaiman's Sandman but it's just as good in its own way.

And I second the posts about Jubilee. I started reading american comics when she was created and her and Wolverine were just like the Batman and Robin of Marvel to me. I'd like a team-up book with her and Logan going on adventures across the world but that'll never happen.

mjc

Rune, he was a weird cosmic vampire dude that I don't think Marvel has the rights to use presently. He's a bit of a dork, definitely a product of the 90s. I'm only really posting him to rep the supernatural side of the MU..I think it's criminally left on the fringes much like the cosmic side was before Abnett/Lanning came along.

tim1138

Prometheus!

Prometheus appeared in the recent Midnighter solo comic, and was used wonderfully.

My vote goes to Klarion the Witch Boy. Outside of his appearances in Kirby's Demon series and then in Morrison's Seven Soldiers, he's been vastly underutilized. Morrison came up with a brilliant backstory for Klarion and his people and it's a shame nothing more has ever been done with him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

In a perfect and just world, Mr. Terrific (Holt) would receiving the push that Cyborg is. So much potential for great stories to be told with the character.

Y'all better preach. Cyborg being a founding member of the Justice League never sits right with me. Mr. Terrific makes so much more sense. If you want to go younger, use Blue Beetle.

Plastic Man. Every appearance I've read of him has been great (Cole, Baker, bits in Morrison's JLA). But it looks like no writer wants to use such a versatile and funny character.

dangeROSS

Taskmaster is indeed a great character. His unique skillset and background make for some compeling stuff. Stumbled upon him via his original Marvel Legends release that came with his debut comic and have been a fan since. Cool to see him getting some love. He did seem to be getting a bit more attention too with his appearance in MvC 3, and with that animated Iron Man/Captain America movie and Ultimate Spider-Man show. So hopefully thats a good sign of more to come? I havent kept up with comics recently, so that sucks to hear his hasnt been around as much lately. They should give him more time to shine.

Loved the sense of humor given at times as well.

sl3EjmCl.jpg

C4pzt6ll.jpg

i recently got his new Marvel Legends figure too and its great. Combining the more Udon styled headsculpt with the more animated style costume looks slick.

qBDg1eMl.jpg

Veedot

Jubilee's a good pick. Her whole vampire thing was super weird, but I really liked it when her and Laura Kinney became best friends. I wouldn't go so far as to say I ship them, but I sure feel like they had a lot more chemistry than Laura's ever had with anyone else, especially this [imo] terrible Angel romance arc she's being forced through.
Omg thank you I hate the angel X23 ship I feel he doesn't suit her at all. Also Op was wondering how you felt about Finesse and her ties with Taskmaster

NEO0MJ

It really did feel like he was going to be a major character for a while.

I guess I'd like to see more Etrigan. I like the character and the semi-hulk relationship he has with his host Jason.

Platy

Does Squirrel Girl is still considered underused ? xD

If not than Plastic Man ! Dude is hilarious and overpower in all the right ways =D

if not than Lobo ... the main man works awesome in closed stories.

If not than Slapstick because Toon Force is an awesome power.

If not than ....what the fuck do you want from me ? =P

Also, Taskmaster is awesome ! His Udon solo comic could EASILY be turned into a MCU movie page by page. His powers are the easily to do on camera

Prometheus appeared in the recent Midnighter solo comic, and was used wonderfully.

My vote goes to Klarion the Witch Boy. Outside of his appearances in Kirby's Demon series and then in Morrison's Seven Soldiers, he's been vastly underutilized. Morrison came up with a brilliant backstory for Klarion and his people and it's a shame nothing more has ever been done with him.

He was great in that issue of Batgirl

Wouldn't mind a good new series or something with him

NEO0MJ

if not than Lobo ... the main man works awesome in closed stories.

Eh, I was really soured on Lobo after reading Unbound. I guess it's more the writer's and editors fault than the character but still it didn't leave the most positive impression on me.

review_lobounbound_2.jpg

Or maybe I'm too sensitive *shrug*

BigDes

The Initiative did a really good job at making even lame charactres interesting. Hell even Constrictor was interesting with his conscience pulling at him and his weariness of being a dick.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

a legacy character with an interesting power set who even got his own rogues gallery and had the potential to be a decent player in the hero game, and poor sales ended all that. he ends up roaming the streets in various books being tortured by underground groups. he finally ends up on a team book, and its this one

all because dc wanted to throw a specific character in the trash

Omg thank you I hate the angel X23 ship I feel he doesn't suit her at all. Also Op was wondering how you felt about Finesse and her ties with Taskmaster

I'm a big fan of it, personally! I love the idea that Finesse is his daughter. Part of what made Taskmaster's appearance in All-New Wolverine so disappointing to me [besides the fact that Tony was written way out-of-character, and really weirdly drawn] was that Finesse and Laura go way back, and I was hoping there'd be some reference to that. In fact, the writer, Tom Taylor, kept alluding there would be, so I was pretty pissed off when he turned out to just be a five-page jobber.

Fury451

Banned
Sandman (Sandy Hawkins)

Sandman_(DC_Comics).jpg

This is such a great choice. Such potential essentially shelved, and a top tier design too.

And the Dodd character in Sandman Mystery Theater was a lot of fun too.

sirap

Captain Marvel (Shazam)

Shoved to the corner for taking Superman's spotlight :( They only bring him out to explain why he can't stay around anymore.

Makonero

I'd say Booster Gold since he's my fave of all time. I can't stand that they haven't done much with him since the New 52 (and the JLI book with him wasn't super great) but I fell in love with the character during 52 and Geoff Johns' run right after that series. I'm not as big a fan of Keith Giffen's take on the character (where instead of just accidentally being a dunderhead he is just a moron, mostly) and I prefer the earnest, time-traveling, quippy version who also happens to be a bit avaricious.

The Booster Gold movie is hopefully happening though and I couldn't be more excited.

Platy

Eh, I was really soured on Lobo after reading Unbound. I guess it's more the writer's and editors fault than the character but still it didn't leave the most positive impression on me.

review_lobounbound_2.jpg

Or maybe I'm too sensitive *shrug*

Yeah that was ... awkward.

Lobo Paramilitary Christmas is the high marks on awesome Lobo. If you want to go more basic, Superman TAS also had a cool Lobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom