• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ComicGAF, who are your favorite underused characters? Mine's Taskmaster. [Long Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I guess I'd like to see more Etrigan. I like the character and the semi-hulk relationship he has with his host Jason.
Yeah, Etrigan's a favorite. If you haven't, check out Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, he's used to great effect in that.

I always hoped the Question would take off more than he did, especially after his scene-stealing role in Justice League Unlimited.

Prometheus appeared in the recent Midnighter solo comic, and was used wonderfully.

My vote goes to Klarion the Witch Boy. Outside of his appearances in Kirby's Demon series and then in Morrison's Seven Soldiers, he's been vastly underutilized. Morrison came up with a brilliant backstory for Klarion and his people and it's a shame nothing more has ever been done with him.
Bruh don't you remember Klarion's solo series just about a year ago?
tumblr_nam29w6Wyi1qdv42bo1_500.png
Perfect
That IS amazing

mcz117chief

92c59f28fb11e697f1dbbb87525979a7.jpg

Deathblow from DC comics. Michael Cray is

1) Badass mofo

2) incredible fighter

3) unstoppable death machine

4) Catholic

Fuckin' hell! Has there ever been a more badass catholic in a comic book?

With the big boom in Inhumans, the fact that the Young Inhumans and Luna haven't shown back up yet is a major crime. Luna was a badass and the Young Inhumans were dope characters. Last time any of them showed up was Silent War, and that was at the same time as Civil War. So it's been awhile.

With the big boom in Inhumans, the fact that the Young Inhumans and Luna haven't shown back up yet is a major crime. Luna was a badass and the Young Inhumans were dope characters. Last time any of them showed up was Silent War, and that was at the same time as Civil War. So it's been awhile.

It's kind of a shame, really. They're so intent on forcing this CWII stuff that a lot of the actually cool Inhumans are being ignored. Hell, even in Uncanny Avengers, a series she's ostensibly supposed to be a main character of, we barely see Synapse.

Crime Master Jack O' Lantern

J8wRpDS.jpg

He was incredible in Remender Venom and that series catapulted him from a Z-villain to one of my favorites that I've ever seen in comics. He's a wisecracker, and there's a lot of those, but unlike Spidey or Deadpool, his cracks are dry, sarcastic, and sinister with a touch of genuinely psychotic anger. You can tell this guy lives in his own fucked-up fantasy world, and it's a gory evil place.

Shadow Man

SXZDfNf.jpg

What is basically an underrated and underused mix of Blade, New Orleans voodoo, and Hellraiser/Clive Barker horror produces a hero and comic unlike anything else out there. This character and world has so much potential, but has been relegated to Z status. Shadow Man deserves better.

It's kind of a shame, really. They're so intent on forcing this CWII stuff that a lot of the actually cool Inhumans are being ignored. Hell, even in Uncanny Avengers, a series she's ostensibly supposed to be a main character of, we barely see Synapse.

The thing is that those Inhumans have been ignored since Silent War, though. The Inhumans had several series and storylines focusing on them since and not a single one has brought back Luna, Dewoz, Tonaja, Nahrees, Alaris, San, and Jolen. I have no idea why. ESPECIALLY Luna. She's part of the Royal Family for fuck's sake.

Apt101

Black Adam. He had an illustrious run in 52 and The Dark Age, then became a two-bit villain who is hardly used (and poorly) outside of that fighting game.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Taskmaster : Unthinkable (which retconned his origin) was the BOMB. Secret best Marvel book of 2011.

I guess I'd like to see more Etrigan. I like the character and the semi-hulk relationship he has with his host Jason.
Yeah, Etrigan is damn cool. Loved what little we saw of his Super Demon version in Multiversity.

mcz117chief

Daredevil.
And I think the Punisher is also catholic?
I haven't read a single Deathblow comic.

Wow, that's cool. I didn't know either of them were catholic. I guess I should read more about those.

Also, how popular is Hitman? He is one of my favourite characters too.

hitman_dc-comics_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

Wow, that's cool. I didn't know either of them were catholic. I guess I should read more about those.

Daredevil being catholic is a huge part of his stories. He does dress as a demon every night after all.
If that angle interests you, you should read Daredevil: Born Again and Elektra Lives Again.

And I haven't read Hitman yet (I'll get to it in a decade or two when I'm finally done with Preacher) but I don't think we've really seen that character in anything else since his series ended.

Now that Tasky has been more than mentioned (Taskmaster is among my favorites, good work OP).

I'll nominate the always under used Cloak and Dagger.
They have an interesting back story together; also, design wise, they really stand out among the super hero crowd; and given the current political climate, they could tell really good stories about tolerance and being there for your friends.

c5e62a9e4d7feda0bccebad492fd0d45.jpg

Slayven

Now that Tasky has been more than mentioned (Taskmaster is among my favorites, good work OP).

I'll nominate the always under used Cloak and Dagger.
They have an interesting back story together; also, design wise, they really stand out among the super hero crowd; and given the current political climate, they could tell really good stories about tolerance and being there for your friends.

c5e62a9e4d7feda0bccebad492fd0d45.jpg

Well they are getting their own show

Pickman

I want a version of Red Wolf that treats the culture with respect and brings it into a modern focus. A disillusioned young man living on his tribe's reservation, feeling like he's destined for more and still carrying some of the bitterness in response to the way his people were marginalized and treated. Can end up with a kind of Black Panther vibe, albeit with a more shamanistic approach to the character (the Wolf spirit lends him strength only in situations where he has something to learn or his actions would serve the people of his tribe).

I want a version of Red Wolf that treats the culture with respect and brings it into a modern focus. A disillusioned young man living on his tribe's reservation, feeling like he's destined for more and still carrying some of the bitterness in response to the way his people were marginalized and treated. Can end up with a kind of Black Panther vibe, albeit with a more shamanistic approach to the character (the Wolf spirit lends him strength only in situations where he has something to learn or his actions would serve the people of his tribe).

Maaaaaaan... This sounds too good. I thought we would have a positive second coming of Red Wolf after Secret Wars, but nothing has happened yet.

All of the best characters have been named already. Sandman, Red Wolf, freaking Frog Man...

I know they're getting another series soon, but I'll go with the Great Lakes Avengers. Here you have a super team with a bunch of B or even C-list heroes that are hilarious and well executed. You have Mr. Immortal, who can't die, Big Bertha, who is a fashion model by day and capable of increasing her mass infinitely, Flatman, who is flat and stretchy (like Mr. Fantastic), Doorman, who is connected to the Darkforce (like Cloak, the Spot, and others), and a hand full of other characters along the way.

Squirrel Girl pretty much got super famous for her stories in GLA and left the team because they relied on her too much. Grasshopper is one hilarious joke as he keeps dying and another one takes his place.

They have also changed their name several times because of hilarious circumstances. They've been called The Great Lakes Avengers, Great Lakes Champions, Lightning Rods (in response to the Thunderbolts), Great Lakes X-Men (after they realized that they're all actually mutants), Great Lakes Initiative (during Civil War), and finally back to Great Lakes Avengers.

I can't wait for their new ongoing.

I'll throw in Blade as well.
I was 12 when the first movie was released and that was the perfect age to be completely blown away by it. And I lost my mind when I saw in the credits that it was based on a Marvel comic.
Finally, a good Marvel film and somehow it's based on a character I've never heard of? Surely, there must be hundreds of back-issues for me to find and read. But alas...

All we got in the last decade was a terrible 12 issue series drawn by Howard Chaykin's feet where Blade was fighting a vampire Spider-Man. I want a full horror ongoing series and a Netflix show. Come on, Marvel.

Slayven

I'll throw in Blade as well.
I was 12 when the first movie was released and that was the perfect age to be completely blown away by it. And I lost my mind when I saw in the credits that it was based on a Marvel comic.
Finally, a good Marvel film and somehow it's based on a character I've never heard of? Surely, there must be hundreds of back-issues for me to find and read. But alas...

All we got in the last decade was a terrible 12 issue series drawn by Howard Chaykin's feet where Blade was fighting a vampire Spider-Man. I want a full horror ongoing series and a Netflix show. Come on, Marvel.

he was in m13 and Mighty Avengers

dangeROSS

Crime Master Jack O' Lantern

J8wRpDS.jpg

He was incredible in Remender Venom and that series catapulted him from a Z-villain to one of my favorites that I've ever seen in comics. He's a wisecracker, and there's a lot of those, but unlike Spidey or Deadpool, his cracks are dry, sarcastic, and sinister with a touch of genuinely psychotic anger. You can tell this guy lives in his own fucked-up fantasy world, and it's a gory evil place.

This is also a good choice. I really thought they did some good stuff with him. Cool way to sort of update the old Jack O' Lantern namesake/persona and make it something different.

With that said, I wonder how difficult it is to market someone like him with the standard Generic name of Jack O' Lantern. That might prove troublesome if they do push him out more on his own.
But I certainly hope he stays relevant and is used more for things.

Plus, even though he's a villain, he makes sure to tip people.

DcBYAZOl.jpg

And now I'm digging through some old saved Taskmaster stuff too.

1GVuZhOl.jpg

swrlXLTl.jpg

dVnaNOzl.jpg

KLBo9xDl.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Did they survive their first mission?

They never got past the training mission before the whole team was fridged. Comas for lagoon, anima and Vulcan. And the others got fucked up. Just to kill power boy

He was the piece of gold mined from a mountain of shit, and one of the few parasite survivors actually remembered

Weiss

Banned
Skin from Generation X.

Skin(Comics).jpg

Lasted 75 issues of one of the best X-Men titles of all time. Got crucified by Chuck Austen.

Juston Seyfert.

202289-13904-juston-seyfert.jpg

Sentinel was basically Iron Giant in the Marvel Universe and was super freaking awesome, and after it ended Juston dropped off the map for years until resurfacing in Avengers Academy.

And then he was tossed into Avengers Arena, one of the trashiest comics Marvel ever produced, and died pointlessly.

I'm still not over both of these.

Ok OP, after today's issue it's clear Taskmaster isn't a throwaway character in the newest Steve Rogers.

Yeah, I was really excited about that! I hope they follow up.

For anyone curious, it looks like Taskmaster is the Sheriff of Bagalia, the Red Light nation, and he's investigating what Hydra-Steve has been up to:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom