• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! March |OT| Girls, Girls, Girls of Spring Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Co-signed! I love it so much I bought it three times (singles, HCs, Absolute). I gave my hardcovers to a little 5 year-old that I know and he loves them to death, according to his mum he carries them everywhere, even took them to school for show and tell all dressed up as supes. He loves Nasty and the bizarros, it's so sweet. And now he calls me his Superman friend.

When a comic can spread joy like that, it's a special thing.
Wow that's great!

As for the indie/cape argument, I always stand on the side of quality and artistic integrity. There are many many fucking awful indie books out there, just as many as there are shitty cape books too. If it's good it's good.

I agree with that, to me if the writing's good then it doesn't matter if it's indie or cape/mainstream, good writing's good writing.

And if it's bad, it's Justice League :p
Giffen's JL and Morrison's JL tie as the best JL comic series IMO.
DARKSEID IS!

didn't they just announce an iPad3 or whatever? Shouldn't the first one be in the bargain bin by now?

Fuck you Apple

Fuck you Bioware

Fuck you Capcom

notworksafe

Yeah man, only $350. The Apple version of the bargain bin.

That being said, a friend got an Amazon tablet thingy and it was pretty good for reading the sample comics on their store. Not as good as paper, but good if you want an overpriced comic reader.

Yeah man, only $350. The Apple version of the bargain bin.

That being said, a friend got an Amazon tablet thingy and it was pretty good for reading the sample comics on their store. Not as good as paper, but good if you want an overpriced comic reader.

I don't believe this!

You have friends?! >:D

From CBR's interview with Quesada about Infinite Comics:

One thing we've heard from folks like Dan Buckley is that Marvel comics these days are meant to live in as many formats as possible. Since Infinite Comics are made to synch so strongly with the tablet reading experience, does that make an eventual transition to print tougher or even impossible?

It could, but it all depends on the story and the creative team. But I think that’s where you can get into trouble. We gave Stuart very few parameters with this first story with one exception, we told him not to worry about print. Draw the story and only concern yourself with how it’ll work on a tablet. If we can translate it to print later, great, but let us worry about that. This is where I think many attempts at digital comics fail. Either they’re a print comic that is reconfigured to work in digital, or it’s a comic that is designed for digital, while also keeping how to build the inevitable print version firmly in mind. What happens is that, when it’s all said and done, you end up with something that is neither fish nor fowl.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear about the Infinite Comics initiative. I strongly believe that digital is the only future serialized comics have, so it's heartening to see one of the big publishers trying something that isn't constrained by the Direct Market Uber Alles business model.

...and for an example of some of the techniques Waid/Immonen will be using, done by an artist who will be involved with future Infinite Comics, check this out.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wow that's great!

I agree with that, to me if the writing's good then it doesn't matter if it's indie or cape/mainstream, good writing's good writing.

Giffen's JL and Morrison's JL tie as the best JL comic series IMO.
DARKSEID IS!

Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong. Some Justice League is amazing, Morrison's run is literally my favourite pure superhero punchy punchy comic ever, the scale of it is insane. But then there is new Justice League :p

Nesotenso

Which Nova is it? Ryder or dumb neoNova?

Sam Alexander. I think Loeb named him after his son Sam Loeb. New Nova is also in the USM cartoon. I don't remember Richard dying off in the Thanos Imperative though. There was a memorial and all but don't think it was definitive.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sam Alexander. I think Loeb named him after his son Sam Loeb. New Nova is also in the USM cartoon. I don't remember Richard dying off in the Thanos Imperative though. There was a memorial and all but don't think it was definitive.
He and starlord were killed in the same way as johnny. Off screen. its a good way the bring the two back if they need to.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The entire "Imperius Sex" page from UXM 8... I can't believe what I'm reading...

Slizz

I have a question for you guys.

I think it was last week I caught a segment on Attack of the Show about this new comic(I think Image is the publisher).

It seemed like it was a noir-esque/drama comic about a detective or cop or something and they interviewed the writer about it and he was talking about how he wants comics to step away from the basic superhero arcs and do more drama type stuff.

Anyone have a clue about what comic I'm talking about? I'm sure it's fairly new and I think it's a series not a graphic novel... I'd like to read a few issues see how it is.

Slizz

I would say Fatale but super heroes are Brubaker's money makers.

Nah, no monsters in it.

I recall it seemed to just follow 1 guy around the whole comic, wears a suit the whole time.

I know I'm giving terrible hints but thanks for the help.

The G4tv website is fucking atrocious and impossible to scroll on, I'm looking at the episode guide with little to no luck.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nah, no monsters in it.

I recall it seemed to just follow 1 guy around the whole comic, wears a suit the whole time.

I know I'm giving terrible hints but thanks for the help.

The G4tv website is fucking atrocious and impossible to scroll on, I'm looking at the episode guide with little to no luck.

Thief of Theives by Robert Kirkman? Was the writer fat and kinda stubbly? That book had a dude in a cool suit and the editorial at the end was talking about how the industry needs to branch out a lot. Even though I enjoy a lot of cape books I agree with his statement a lot. Comics exist in this manchild ghetto, the industry needs to be more like Japan, where the market can sustain all kinds of crazy books about all kinds of crap. But as it is we get guys in nudie suits hitting each other. :\

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Uh i thought He did get stuck with star lord at the end....

Slizz

Thief of Theives by Robert Kirkman? Was the writer fat and kinda stubbly? That book had a dude in a cool suit and the editorial at the end was talking about how the industry needs to branch out a lot. Even though I enjoy a lot of cape books I agree with his statement a lot. Comics exist in this manchild ghetto, the industry needs to be more like Japan, where the market can sustain all kinds of crazy books about all kinds of crap. But as it is we get guys in nudie suits hitting each other. :\

Yes this is it, it came to me as soon as I saw the title. Thank you very much!

Owzers

*notes the 3.99/32pg pricing on all Watchmen books*

As long as the pricing stays 2.99/32 pgs for regular DC books i'm okay with this, but now i'll probably only buy Minute Men and sell it on ebay when finished ( though i was leaning that way anyways).

Although bleedingcool speculates it MIGHT have more than 20 pages of story content in those 32pg books.

Ha ha I was serious. That's their Event? I thought maybe they were doing some crossover. I'm so INDOCTRINATED that I can't imagine an "Event" as something that's completely self contained.
Well, you'll note that I did say summer event. ;)

It's probable (hell, it's certain) that they're cooking up the usual company-wide crossover as well, but I don't think they're far enough along in their new clusterf*ck of a universe to chance one just yet. So in the meantime, we're getting an event that's not an "event".

ElNarez

Banned
Ha ha I was serious. That's their Event? I thought maybe they were doing some crossover. I'm so INDOCTRINATED that I can't imagine an "Event" as something that's completely self contained.

Night of The Owls (Every Batman title under the sun), Rise of the Vampires (I, Vampire and JLD), The Culling (Legion Lost, Teen Titans and Superboy) and that upcoming Swamp Thing/Animal Man thing.

My point is, DC is doing plenty of crossovers, and I'm forgetting some.

My other point is, it's a good thing. Don't make a huge fucking event within six months of introducing a new continuity *cough*X-Men*cough*. Let the dust settle. You can have some crossovers to show this is just one big world and all that, but let people get used to the new thing before changing it completely.

e: BAM, the Suicide Squad/Resurrection Man crossover. Knew I forgot some.

Night of The Owls (Every Batman title under the sun), Rise of the Vampires (I, Vampire and JLD), The Culling (Legion Lost, Teen Titans and Superboy) and that upcoming Swamp Thing/Animal Man thing.

My point is, DC is doing plenty of crossovers, and I'm forgetting some.

My other point is, it's a good thing. Don't make a huge fucking event within six months of introducing a new continuity *cough*X-Men*cough*. Let the dust settle. You can have some crossovers to show this is just one big world and all that, but let people get used to the new thing before changing it completely.

e: BAM, the Suicide Squad/Resurrection Man crossover. Knew I forgot some.

I agree.

Well, in theory. Marvel's crossovers keep being so amazing. Schism and Fear Itself rekindled the childhood glee I had for Inferno and The Evolutionary War.

Fear Itself...amazing...

RSQcC.gif

in other teaser news...

CM_Teaser.jpeg

Yeah, IDK either, but we'll find out more info at WonderCon this weekend

Satch

Banned
guys i'm really excited for convention season

SDCC, E3, and all the smaller conventions surrounding those

and EVO2012 tourney too

Status
Not open for further replies.