• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Cash sings "Barbie Girl"

badblue

This is incredible

this is blasphemy
both GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These Johnny Cash and Elvis videos are pretty good. Not perfect as you can notice some abrupt cutting off of words and in the Elvis video one sentence sung already starts when it hasnt ended the first one.

But overall, decent AI clips.

Some celebs are going to make a shit load of money selling off their likeness and voice to do stuff without even needing to do it. I'm sure all the big singers and actors are already working with their agent to prep deals with companies do AI stuff. Might not be ready yet, but maybe in a few years more when it can be fine tuned with better quality.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It’s weird AI or robots were meant to take over the labour jobs but they have come for the one thing humans take solace in, creativity. this is some crazy existential hell

How long before the develop robots that can sculpt ? Construct from Lego ?

happy Friday everyone.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One thing that I can see AI doing these likeness videos and recording are companies trying handle coordinating people doing it for themselves or loved ones. So after they die, you can still see or hear them. Might be creepy for some, but I can see some using it as a reminder of loved ones. Even if the program simply churns out a 5 second clip of someone who passed saying Hello or I Love You I can see it taking off for many people.

So instead of a physical photo or digital photo, it'll be a short clip of AI generated content.

Or perhaps a book can be narrated by AI using a family member's voice.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

it's good, you can still hear the AI issues however, but if it was playing softly somewhere in the background somewhere and there was lots of noise pollution you could easily believe this was a real thing

jason10mm

Gold Member
What this shows is not that AI can replace humans, but that it can EXTEND an artist with talent. If Cash, Sinatra, or Elvis didn't have a distinct, unique, and marketable style BASED on success as a human, this tech would be worthless. Artists that just ape others aren't distinct and won't benefit from this.

My main worry is that this tech will just let us eternally mine the past and instead of bolstering creativity because it removes limits and barriers for artists, it just rewards "more of the same". Granted, most creative things move in cycles naturally and borrow from what has gone before but AI might disrupt that flow.

What I'd like to see is someone taking a FLAWED human work, like the aforementioned final seasons of GoT, and using AI to reconstruct it properly. I don't necessarily want MORE LOTR, I want Willow to be elevated to the level of LOTR, or fan edits to be able to create more connective tissue between cuts. This, I think, is a more legit use of AI.

Spaceman292

Banned
Nah this stuff needs to be under control. You can't have people hijacking voices.
Yes you can actuallyyyy people already have and it's really cool. What's the problem? They're already long dead anyway. If Frank Sinatra's computer ghost wants to sing the Evangelion theme, what's the harm?

Last edited:
I think that eventually AI will crack the riddle of faster than light flight. (tell us what to do/build). Then, people will say “omg its so obvious”

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yes you can actuallyyyy people already have and it's really cool. What's the problem? They're already long dead anyway. If Frank Sinatra's computer ghost wants to sing the Evangelion theme, what's the harm?
Because it's never going to stop with just people that are deceased first of all and second of all the families of the deceased still own the rights to their image and likeness. So any of the monetization that is going on with these videos rightfully belongs to the families of the people involved.

It needs to be heavily regulated as soon as possible before the genie is all the way out of the bottle.

Spaceman292

Banned
Because it's never going to stop with just people that are deceased first of all and second of all the families of the deceased still own the rights to their image and likeness. So any of the monetization that is going on with these videos rightfully belongs to the families of the people involved.

It needs to be heavily regulated as soon as possible before the genie is all the way out of the bottle.
Fair points made but the genie is already out of the bottle. Johnny Cash is already singing Barbie Girl. You're right, it's never going to stop.

Nobody_Important

Fair points made but the genie is already out of the bottle. Johnny Cash is already singing Barbie Girl. You're right, it's never going to stop.
Which is why we need regulations and laws passed that help curb the abuse of it and to give those who fall victim to it the ability to fight back and remove it.

One thing that I can see AI doing these likeness videos and recording are companies trying handle coordinating people doing it for themselves or loved ones. So after they die, you can still see or hear them. Might be creepy for some, but I can see some using it as a reminder of loved ones. Even if the program simply churns out a 5 second clip of someone who passed saying Hello or I Love You I can see it taking off for many people.

So instead of a physical photo or digital photo, it'll be a short clip of AI generated content.

Or perhaps a book can be narrated by AI using a family member's voice.

AI imitation and data crawling will create a half-life like in Ubik. 200 years from now, people might even buy it as real.

Tams

The genie is already out of the bottle.

In fact, the genie has smashed the bottle.

Nobody_Important

The genie is already out of the bottle.

In fact, the genie has smashed the bottle.
No genie out of the bottle is when we get widespread use of AI videos showing people committing crimes showing up and them being used as leverage.

Top Bottom