• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! March |OT| Girls, Girls, Girls of Spring Break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
ww_cv10_02.jpg

Diana is a ride or die chick

dem gats!

Bummer about Reeder. Really enjoyed her art on Xanadu and even liked it on Batwoman, but following Williams seems really tough to do. I would be excited for McCarthy to take over, I like his style in Gates of Gotham and think it would contrast better with Williams.

more like ride AND die amirite ehhehehehehehehehehheehe

that cover is fierce but it would be even more fierce if cliff would learn perspective and how lats, deltoids, and pecs work

but other than that <3 <3 <3 <3

Yo biatch!

Artistic license and shit!

Yeah her boots are gonna be the Super Mario 3 shoe soon. Just hopping along in a Wonder Boot and stomping the Greek Pantheon. LOL LOL LOL

This reminds me. Need to read last week's Spaceman.

So just reading subtext here is it safe to say someone on Batwoman editorial (or JHW3 himself) wasn't pleased with her work and gave her the boot? It clearly wasn't her choice to leave.

It's not batwoman editorial its DC's editors as a whole. They keep fucking around with everything and are not willing to let writers create long term plans for their books. Unless your name is Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison DC reserves the right to abruptly throw you off a book. I also think theres a big political game in the DC offices and thats why people like tony daniel and liefield keep getting work and Gail Simone and Amy Reeder are getting thrown under the bus.

Nesotenso

It's not batwoman editorial its DC's editors as a whole. They keep fucking around with everything and are not willing to let writers create long term plans for their books. Unless your name is Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison DC reserves the right to abruptly throw you off a book. I also think theres a big political game in the DC offices and thats why people like tony daniel and liefield keep getting work and Gail Simone and Amy Reeder are getting thrown under the bus.

Mark Waid was on Word balloon telling how he feels DC is very editorial driven. But then again, he is known to have parted with DC on bad terms.

jim shooter said when he was writing losh a few years ago they told him he couldnt use one of the characters at the last second because johns wanted it even though shooter was ahead of schedule and johns was months behind and when shooter asked why johns got to use the character over him didio gave him some crap about how johns is a "big name". that kind of thing is probably still going on

Mark Waid was on Word balloon telling how he feels DC is very editorial driven. But then again, he is known to have parted with DC on bad terms.

Yet you can't really say there's not truth to his observations as he works in the industry and the carriage leads the horse at DC. Be it 52, Countdown, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, New 52. DC makes up it's mind to crap out product and talent be damned the books will come out.

Marvel at least seems to be doing it sensibly by getting consistent teams to rotate in and out on arcs.

Still they can both eat a big veiny dick with their sorry ass rehashes and I'll keep making sweet, sweet love to my independent comics. INTEGRITY! ^_^

Just when those assholes cut Alan Davis, Arthur Adams, Ivan Reis, or some other artist I like a check - then I'll read their sorry ass rehashes of old ass characters. :D

Waid also says he loves Nightwing and he's been trying to do the book for years but he can't because the higher ups at DC don't like Nightwing as a character and think that Waid is too big of a writer to be on such a "low level" book.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Waid also says he loves Nightwing and he's been trying to do the book for years but he can't because the higher ups at DC don't like Nightwing as a character and think that Waid is too big of a writer to be on such a "low level" book.

Doesn't surprise me considering the infamous case during Infinite Crisis where DiDio wanted to kill him for the drama (and disposing the character from the DC universe)

Yet you can't really say there's not truth to his observations as he works in the industry and the carriage leads the horse at DC. Be it 52, Countdown, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, New 52. DC makes up it's mind to crap out product and talent be damned the books will come out.

Marvel at least seems to be doing it sensibly by getting consistent teams to rotate in and out on arcs.

Still they can both eat a big veiny dick with their sorry ass rehashes and I'll keep making sweet, sweet love to my independent comics. INTEGRITY! ^_^

Just when those assholes cut Alan Davis, Arthur Adams, Ivan Reis, or some other artist I like a check - then I'll read their sorry ass rehashes of old ass characters. :D

I don't think independent is any better. Look at the shit Todd Mcfarlane has pulled in his time and there are creative fights all the time. Even recently a lawsuit started between Kirkman and the artist who did the first few issues of Walking Dead. People are just people but DC seems to have the worst of the bunch.

I don't think independent is any better. Look at the shit Todd Mcfarlane has pulled in his time and there are creative fights all the time. Even recently a lawsuit started between Kirkman and the artist who did the first few issues of Walking Dead. People are just people but DC seems to have the worst of the bunch.

It is better.

You are wrong.

Herp derp! McFarlane! Herp derp! Kirkman!

Never mind fucking the Kirby estate. Fucking Joe Simon. Fucking the Siegel and Schusters. Fucking Gary Friedrich. Just wholesale fucking of talent. Yeah, the umbrella of "work for hire" is great.

I hope you enjoy an asshole full of Spiderman, Batman, and Superman from now until the end of time; because that's what you're going to get.

Good day sir.

It is better.

You are wrong.

Herp derp! McFarlane! Herp derp! Kirkman!

Never mind fucking the Kirby estate. Fucking Joe Simon. Fucking the Siegel and Schusters. Fucking Gary Friedrich. Just wholesale fucking of talent. Yeah, the umbrella of "work for hire" is great.

I hope you enjoy an asshole full of Spiderman, Batman, and Superman from now until the end of time; because that's what you're going to get.

Good day sir.

Yeah but really, Todd Mcfarlane

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I always thought Todd McFarlane was shitty but try telling any of my friends ca. 1994 that. Those holier-than-thou assholes.

LiQuid!

I just got a Kindle so I've been slacking hard on my stack of comics this week.

Gotta find a way to psych myself up enough to make it through yet another Greg Land issue so I can finally finish that stupid UXM arc.

I love TTOB. Sometimes I want to punch my sister in the ovaries, but I still love her. ;)

I admire his consistency and passion about a topic that is very dear to my heart. Back in the Vertigo days, when I swore off all the mainstream superhero titles, and only bought indies, ashcans, and art books, I was him. I just decided that I do love comics in all it's forms and came back home to the editorialy driven, soulless evil that is corporate comics, and have loved everything from the books in Artist Alley to the most overhyped Event books that the big two can shit out.

I believe that there is merit that can be found in all of that. However, I dont think that the individualism and pureness that can be found in an issue of a super-indie issue of the latest hidden gem is in any way less or more to the genre tradition and hyper-Mythology that can be found in the latest sellout chapter of Amazing Spider-Man.

I fell the exact same way about movies, TV and especially music. I believe in going into everything I do wanting to find enjoyment.

Lady Gaga = Mumford and Sons. John Carter = The Artist. The Wire = Charmed. The worth of entertainment is directly related to the work's ability to accomplish what its creator set out to do. If that's to be a popcorn film, or to win Best Picture, no product is inherently on a pedestal to me. If it accomplished it's intended goal, it was a successful work for me.

I wish more people saw things like this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I love TTOB. Sometimes I want to punch my sister in the ovaries, but I still love her. ;)

I admire his consistency and passion about a topic that is very dear to my heart. Back in the Vertigo days, when I swore off all the mainstream superhero titles, and only bought indies, ashcans, and art books, I was him. I just decided that I do love comics in all it's forms and came back home to the editorialy driven, soulless evil that is corporate comics, and have loved everything from the books in Artist Alley to the most overhyped Event books that the big two can shit out.

I believe that there is merit that can be found in all of that. However, I dont think that the individualism and pureness that can be found in an issue of a super-indie issue of the latest hidden gem is in any way less or more to the genre tradition and hyper-Mythology that can be found in the latest sellout chapter of Amazing Spider-Man.

I fell the exact same way about movies, TV and especially music. I believe in going into everything I do wanting to find enjoyment.

Lady Gaga = Mumford and Sons. John Carter = The Artist. The Wire = Charmed. The worth of entertainment is directly related to the work's ability to accomplish what its creator set out to do. If that's to be a popcorn film, or to win Best Picture, no product is inherently on a pedestal to me. If it accomplished it's intended goal, it was a successful work for me.

I wish more people saw things like this.

I agree with this. :)

Otherwise it's hard to rationalize not going indie-only in every single other medium. I mean if you're prepared to do that, great, but you'll miss a lot of great stuff.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Really? Were doing the indies vs capes thing again? How many times is this now?

Nesotenso

Creator and financial disputes will always crop up when you have lot of money involved, doesn't matter if it's an independent publisher or the big corporations.

I just read comics I like and enjoy, the publisher doesn't matter.

Really? Were doing the indies vs capes thing again? How many times is this now?

My stance is primarily that of the creator rights angle and creators profiting from their creations.

I still buy plenty of shitty Marvel/DC comics. However it's limited to following creators whose work I enjoy from them. I'm not going to follow Spiderman because I have some emotional attachment to the character, that ended two decades ago.

There will always be corporate intellectual properties I enjoy in the right hands - Superman, Punisher, Captain America, Black Adam, etc. The problem for the corporations is finding the right hands.

It's nice to be taken completely out of context and to have morons to come bat with minor offenses perpetrated by a handful of shady businessmen on the indie ignoring the long history of offenses perpetrated by the corporations and their lawyers.

This is why you're not seeing new characters out of Marvel. This is why DC is warming over old characters with the "New 52". For the most part creators seem to have gotten wise to the anti-creator core of Marvel/DC and they're not turning over their best ideas to these companies.

Kryptonian, you can suck it! :p

And the end of the day, you like what you like. Everybody's in this thread because they like comics. Period. Whether they're Amazing Spider-Man or Duncan the Wonder Dog. Why the elitism and lines in the sand?

Tizoc

All-Star Superman is IMHO the best Superman book of all time, anyone who wants to read a good Superman story needs to read that book.
I own both hardcovers of Vol. 1 and 2 myself ^_^v.

Just my 2 cents~

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My stance is primarily that of the creator rights angle and creators profiting from their creations.

I still buy plenty of shitty Marvel/DC comics. However it's limited to following creators whose work I enjoy from them. I'm not going to follow Spiderman because I have some emotional attachment to the character, that ended two decades ago.

There will always be corporate intellectual properties I enjoy in the right hands - Superman, Punisher, Captain America, Black Adam, etc. The problem for the corporations is finding the right hands.

It's nice to be taken completely out of context and to have morons to come bat with minor offenses perpetrated by a handful of shady businessmen on the indie ignoring the long history of offenses perpetrated by the corporations and their lawyers.

This is why you're not seeing new characters out of Marvel. This is why DC is warming over old characters with the "New 52". For the most part creators seem to have gotten wise to the anti-creator core of Marvel/DC and they're not turning over their best ideas to these companies.

Kryptonian, you can suck it! :p
I would agree about original characters but seeing how robert "kill em all" kirkman deals with his characters makes me want to pass on many original titles that don't have writers that I'm aware of.

All-Star Superman is IMHO the best Superman book of all time, anyone who wants to read a good Superman story needs to read that book.

Just my 2 cents~

It's a good thing it abbreviates as ASS. >:D

Oh wait. I forgot. NO YOU CAN'T SUCK IT! >:O

I would agree about original characters but seeing how robert "kill em all" kirkman deals with his characters makes me want to pass on many original titles that don't have writers that I'm aware of.

Kirkman is the most Emperor Has No Clothes of modern comic writers I can think of. I've read numerous things he's written by chance or because some moran here plugged it. Battle Pope - shit. Walking Dead - meh. Invincible - liked it better when it was called Spiderman. Marvel Team-Up - BARF!

Ah well. He's getting paid and making money. I guess he's like Jim Balent with fewer haunted vaginas. :\

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Just my 2 cents~

Co-signed! I love it so much I bought it three times (singles, HCs, Absolute). I gave my hardcovers to a little 5 year-old that I know and he loves them to death, according to his mum he carries them everywhere, even took them to school for show and tell all dressed up as supes. He loves Nasty and the bizarros, it's so sweet. And now he calls me his Superman friend.

When a comic can spread joy like that, it's a special thing.

As for the indie/cape argument, I always stand on the side of quality and artistic integrity. There are many many fucking awful indie books out there, just as many as there are shitty cape books too. If it's good it's good. And if it's bad, it's Justice League :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom