• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Archer & Armstrong #10-#17, #0: I love how the world keeps changing so quickly. Never feels like the series is treading water. But that also doesn't mean the plot twists feel like they were pulled from nowhere. The whole thing feels very well planned. Enjoying this immensely.

Did the Eternal Warrior and Ivar, Timewalker spin-off from this series or were they running parallely?

Ivar is almost a sequel in that you see some of the elements Van Lente introduced in A&A in it, and Gilad and Armstrong are key characters in the second arc. Personally, Ivar and A&A are at the same level of quality and I highly recommend reading that. Eternal Warrior hasn't really been good until the latest series, Wrath of, and that spun out of Book of Death. The Pak and Milligan stuff is boring as fuck. It didn't really carry over those elements.

The major thing that did spin out of A&A is The Valiant, which features Eternal Warrior and Geomancer in big roles. Highly recommend that one.

It isn't considered the best. I've seen a lot of people who think the Snyder/Capullo run is overrated.

Fair enough. The owl stuff is superb, in my opinion. Moving on to the Joker arc next. That's the last part I read when it released and I thought it was solid. I've never touched the origin story stuff, mainly because why the hell am I reading a Batman origin story in the year 2016. Will give it an honest try, though.

I got tired of it, kids. RIP The Flash. You are a bad TV show and can go fuck yourself.

My wife has an incredibly high threshold for garbage TV. She has stuck with stuff like Bones, Castle, and Sleepy Hollow when I jumped ship after a season or two.

I cannot get her to watch The Flash with me. She says it's too incredibly stupid to watch. I'm midway through the first season and she's not wrong, although I do feel a certain pull to keep watching. I can't explain it. Show is trash. CW relationship teenage drama seeping through its core. The correct answer to everything, from a gunshot wound to a dude electrocuting cops in the genitalia is...FRIENDSHIP.

Do we know from which universe Gwenpool is from? Like in was she In SW?

She said she is from "the real world", so it might be like Superboy Prime. In her world the Marvel characters exist as comic books.

She's also batshit crazy so YMMV. But I enjoyed the first issue. I need to go back for the Holiday Special. Feels weird reading stuff like that end of April/early May though.

Messi

She said she is from "the real world", so it might be like Superboy Prime. In her world the Marvel characters exist as comic books.

She's also batshit crazy so YMMV. But I enjoyed the first issue. I need to go back for the Holiday Special. Feels weird reading stuff like that end of April/early May though.

This is it.

Gwen and Kamala have a really sweet moment in the holiday special

1FvWt4h.jpg

Gwenpool just wants friends :(

Ivar is almost a sequel in that you see some of the elements Van Lente introduced in A&A in it, and Gilad and Armstrong are key characters in the second arc. Personally, Ivar and A&A are at the same level of quality and I highly recommend reading that. Eternal Warrior hasn't really been good until the latest series, Wrath of, and that spun out of Book of Death. The Pak and Milligan stuff is boring as fuck. It didn't really carry over those elements.

The major thing that did spin out of A&A is The Valiant, which features Eternal Warrior and Geomancer in big roles. Highly recommend that one.

Thanks!

I've read The Valiant and didn't really enjoy it much. The first two issues were decent but as a whole, it was a bit of a let down. Felt like a 4 issue trailer for the universe instead of a story by itself. Maybe I would have felt differently if I read it after reading some of the other Valiant runs.

Thanks!

I've read The Valiant and didn't really enjoy it much. The first two issues were decent but as a whole, it was a bit of a let down. Felt like a 4 issue trailer for the universe instead of a story by itself. Maybe I would have felt differently if I read it after reading some of the other Valiant runs.

Oh, yeah, I remember.

Anyway, Ivar is more of the same, even better in some ways. I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I have the unfortunate problem of single issues collecting dust and me not having enough time to read everything. I love collecting single issue, but I think it's taking up too much space and money.

Would anyone have any suggestions on other ways of reading comics? Trades? Comixology? Digital service? What's the best way to get the most bang for my buck?

I think I'm only going to collect single, important issues to me (that way I can still get signatures and whatnot at events but also maximize space).

They should turn her into what Superboy Prime became. I'd read that.

I have enjoyed what little I've seen of them. (Mainly the Annihilation stuff and Hickman's FF). So lets see how it goes.

Which reading order are you using?
I've been using that. Although it fails to mention the Origin of the Inhumans trade Marvel has out, which collects all of their silver-age FF stuff.
That's cool. That's why they're called opinions.
Unheard of
My wife has an incredibly high threshold for garbage TV. She has stuck with stuff like Bones, Castle, and Sleepy Hollow when I jumped ship after a season or two.

I cannot get her to watch The Flash with me. She says it's too incredibly stupid to watch. I'm midway through the first season and she's not wrong, although I do feel a certain pull to keep watching. I can't explain it. Show is trash. CW relationship teenage drama seeping through its core. The correct answer to everything, from a gunshot wound to a dude electrocuting cops in the genitalia is...FRIENDSHIP.
I genuinely enjoyed the first season except the finale, which soured me heavily on the show . S2 has just been worse, and I've stuck around because of the plot, but I'm sick and tired of some shit. I'm just done. Arrow has been better, but still boring. Pretty sure I only watch it for Willa Holland.

Owzers

So I have the unfortunate problem of single issues collecting dust and me not having enough time to read everything. I love collecting single issue, but I think it's taking up too much space and money.

Would anyone have any suggestions on other ways of reading comics? Trades? Comixology? Digital service? What's the best way to get the most bang for my buck?

I think I'm only going to collect single, important issues to me (that way I can still get signatures and whatnot at events but also maximize space).

Marvel Unlimited for most Marvel books
Image trades and Comixology $1 issue sales for Image books

I also buy about 10-15 singles a month, the stuff i want most, through dcbs.

Messi

I am reading Nameless. I have no idea what this book is about and I am halfway through. Standard fare for me and Morrisson. BUT. I wanted to say that Chris Burnham is the real MVP of this book. My goodness what a great artist. What is he currently working on?

Let's talk Rai. I read the first issue a while back but it didn't do much for me. Mostly setup. Is the rest of the run good? I'm debating picking up the series in the CMX sale

It gets progressively better. The first and second arcs are just good. It's some pretty standard Valiant quality. The last arc is crazy good. Builds up so many interesting things for the 4001 AD event.

Messi

The more of Nameless I read the less I understand. I felt I was getting the hang of it by issue 3. But issue 4 has completely confused me again. WHAT.

I am like this reading it

giphy.gif

Are there any other writers on this level? This is impenetrable to me. This is why I didn't read Multiversity. I was afraid I wouldn't get it.

The more of Nameless I read the less I understand. I felt I was getting the hang of it by issue 3. But issue 4 has completely confused me again. WHAT.

giphy.gif

Are there any other writers on this level? This is impenetrable to me. This is why I didn't read Multiversity. I was afraid I wouldn't get it.

I was the same with Final Crisis. I enjoyed it, but a lot went over my head.

Owzers

That's my exact reading experience....at around the end of issue 3 i was optimistic about where the book was going and thennnnnnnnnnnn nope. Kot makes some weird books too.

Messi

I think I am enjoying it. At the very least the art is incredible. But sometimes it feels like he is writing some random stuff for the sake of it. Its very odd. But I think he is intentionally muddying the waters as to what is going on.

Hagi

Civil War was fucking legit I was sitting with a huge grin on my face through the whole film. Evans Cap is just too good best superhero casting ever. Man there's so much to the film bit I think they pulled it off with wonderfully especially Peter and T'Challa. All the Civil War Hot Toys Will be mine wallet be damned.

I think one of my highlights was wanda. I love her.

Messi

Civil War was fucking legit I was sitting with a huge grin on my face through the whole film. Evans Cap is just too good best superhero casting ever. Man there's so much to the film bit I think they pulled it off with wonderfully especially Peter and T'Challa. All the Civil War Hot Toys Will be mine wallet be damned.

I think one of my highlights was wanda. I love her.

You have a spare 3k lying around? Hot Toy prices are no joke. They are even doing one of
Crossbones

Hagi

You have a spare 3k lying around? Hot Toy prices are no joke. They are even doing one of
Crossbones

I have the Tony from Iron Man 3 that comes with all the weird shit he made to attack the fake Mandarins mansion. They definitely no joke price wise but dam that quality, I think I'll pass on Crossbones and probably team Iron Man. #TeamCap all the way.

Whats the JC list of good BND arcs?

nigga I reread like everything ASM from BND onward

you ready for this shit...I gotta break this posts into parts

using the Savage Critic.com scale of Excellent(10, 9/10 theyre the same thing), Very Good(8/10), Good(7/10), Okay(6/10), Eh(5/10), Awful(4, 3/10), and Crap!(2, 1/10)

ASM #546 -548: An enjoyable start to the series that establish the tone and current world of Spider-Man, with an entertaining A-plot with Spidey’s first encounter with Mr. Negative. Slott’s got a great voice for all the characters, and keeps a breezy tone that brings some fun back to the book. McNiven acquits himself well. GOOD!

#549 – 551: Painfully bad. None of Guggenheim’s jokes land, he does nothing to sell me on “Menace”, and Jackpot is a dud, a one-note joke to tease MJ fans that’s never enduring. Larroca’s artwork is dull as watching paint dry. CRAP!

#552 – 554: Slightly better? At least Jimenez artwork is an improvement, at any rate. A very bland, cookie cutter story with an awful new villain and more unfunny jokes. The first story was good, but I don’t blame anybody dropping this book after half a dozen bad issues. AWFUL!

#555-557: Now we’re talking. Spider-Man finds himself in a middle of a freak blizzard battling mystical Mayan warriors! Zeb Wells script sparkles with wit and fun characterizations, but Chris Bachalo is the star of the show here. These three issues look like a completely different world from the last three stories. His unique storytelling prowess, great sense of humor and hyper-detailed artwork makes every single panel a joy. Damn good stuff, let down just a bit by that science mumbo-jumbo and action-heavy final issue. GOOD!

#558: And we’re back to Bob Gale’s terrible scripts that Barry Kitson can do nothing to spruce up. AWFUL!

#559-561: Peter Parker becomes a Paparazzi and must contend with the new rogue on the block, Paperdoll. This story is just fantastic. Dan’s got a good plot here, one with Peter doing some questionable selfish things and making amends for it, with most of the supporting cast used to great effect, including MJ. Paperdoll’s origin is a bit on the nose, but she’s a great visual and the way she’s taken out is classic. Marcos Martin is a goddamn superstar, just absolutely kills every single page, sells every single joke, impresses with all kind of wonderful layouts. A high watermark for ASM, from top to bottom. EXCELLENT!

#562-563: Annnnd we’re back to mediocrity with more uh I can’t even bother to pretend like I care about this one. No offense to Mike McKone’s just fine pencils, but this is a big comedown from the artistic tour-de-force that was Martin. The last of Gale’s stories, thank God. AWFUL!

#564: An almost-entertaining issue told from 3 directions with boring artwork. Yep. ** ½ EH!

#565-567: The daughter of Kraven goes on her first hunt, which involves Spidey switching costumes with Ol' Hornhead. Guggenheim is blander than month old vanilla wafers, but Phil Jiminez draws the prettiest people in comics. EH!

#568-573: Sadly, this one is just “ok”. I’m not a huge fan of Dean White’s dark colors on Romita Jr’s pencils, and the whole book just seems a bit, going-through-the-motions. IDK. OK!

#574: The shock of all shocks, Guggenheim and Kitson do a great story about Flash’s accident during the war. This is the first interesting thing to be done with this character in decades. VERY GOOD!

So Brand New Day year one as it were is a bit of a mixed bag. As expected from any comic with this many different creative voices and artists. Slott feels like he's born to write the book. He nails the tone, he understands the characters the best, he's the best comic writer of the bunch(peep how he uses wordplay as scene transitions, like the last thing Mr. Negative will say is "foreign tongues" and then the next scene has Peter making out with a random girl). Mr. Negative is a great new villain. Ever since Frank Miller got his hands on Kingpin and made him a Daredevil enemy, the street level Spidey has missed a big bad of all crime in NYC. Mr. Negative gives him that super-strong imposing crime kingpin of his own, with a great visual and really cool henchmen. He also have the interesting hook of his own secret identity, interacting with Peter and his supporting cast in a sharp example of dramatic irony. Paperdoll is great too, in that she's a fantastic visual and has an interesting motivation, even if just for this one story.

I like the overall feeling of the era, ya know? For years prior to this, ASM has been a bit off the rails. The rogues had got stale from years of misuse to the point that most of JMS' baddies had to go supernatural, most of the supporting cast disappeared with MJ sucking up the best friend/romantic interest/superhero confidant role, there were some awful events, lotta of event tie-ins, it just wasn't a fun book to read. BND's main idea seemed to be trying to recapture that feeling of Stern/JRJR ASM, with the goblin mystery, new rogues, new love interests, big changes in Peter's job situation, subplots like the homeless shelter and the Mayor race, that sort of soap opera stuff. Like I said, Slott's two stories are the most successful at this, and Wells/Bachalo's is strong even if its dark and seems like an outlier from the others.

Wacker's choice in artists is already inspired. McNiven doesn't break out any new ground, but he's the kinda of accessible choice that you want to start this kind of run with. Jimenez draws such pretty people, although I hate the way he draws Spidey's head. Bachalo is great, utilizing a lot of negative space to emphasize the blizzard and specific color choices to give this story a unique atmosphere. Marcos Martin is just flat-out the best. His action layouts, his character acting and body language and fashion sense(peep Peter's snazzy threads and compare them to Romita's lame 90s backwards cap), his attention to detail...the dream is him drawing everything.

Gale and Guggenheim will soon be gone, so things are looking up

I am reading Nameless. I have no idea what this book is about and I am halfway through. Standard fare for me and Morrisson. BUT. I wanted to say that Chris Burnham is the real MVP of this book. My goodness what a great artist. What is he currently working on?
Basically. Same with me. In the end, I enjoyed it for the visuals and general atmosphere, but that was about it

ASM #575-576: A fresh and vibrant two-parter concerned a more deadly Hammerhead trying to recruit an army of gangsters for Mr. Negative. Kelly’s voice is a bit off, but his scripts are hilarious anyway, and Bachalo’s dirty details and playful artstyle are exactly in sync with Joe’s storytelling sensibilities. Hammerhead is truly scary for the first time, all hard edges and right angles, while new cast member Norah Winters’ rude demeanor hides a passionate heart who genuinely wants to do good. Very enjoyable. VERY GOOD!

#577: A Spidey-Punisher team-up! You’ve seen this kind of thing before, but its all about the Execution. And no offense to Zeb Wells, who’s got a real sharp script here, but what elevates it into the very good category is the phenomenal artwork of Paolo Rivera. Rivera is a cartooning god, a master of facial expressions, body language, staging, and chorography. There’s a fight scene at the end here where Spider-Man never touches the ground, bouncing off every which way and walking on the ceiling, and its just a fantastic showcase for the cool power-set Parker has. VERY GOOD!

578-579: Unscheduled Stop…I don’t need to go into too much detail, do I? This is about as perfectly executed a Spider-Man story you’d find in his 50 years history. If this aint the full monty, I don’t know what is. EXCELLENT!

#580: Weird sci-fi rogue, Peter using his brain, heroic sacrifices, bit of funny banter, usage of his unique powerset, this one’s got it all for your weekly dose of Spider-Man. Very prototypical and not as good as the last two stories, but Roger Stern and Lee Weeks are old vets who could crap out solid Spidey comics in their sleep. GOOD!

Amazing Spider-Man Extra #2: I wasn’t gonna read this one, but I heard Rivera was here, so here I am. And no offense to the opening Anti-Venom story which set up some good stuff later, but I’m all about that Wolverine-Spidey story, baby. A quiet, reflective issue that examines the difference between these two popular characters and why they still gel so well. Paolo Rivera makes every panel look like its crafted by God…because it was. Logan’s facial expressions are priceless, stubby 5’o’ clock shadow hardass who turns into Frank Quitely’s berserker in an instant. GOOD!

581-582: I don’t even think Slott likes this one, but it feels like he kinda got handed this one from upper management, as the continuity expert of the Braintrust. He’s still the best at Spidey banter, but too much of the plot seems focused around these boring BND explanations. OKAY!

583: The lead story is incredibly likable, even if Kitson’s work here isn’t the best for Waid’s script. There’s also this terrible back-up about Obama that sold a million copies. GOOD!

584-588: The big conclusion to all this Menace mystery and Spider-Slayer stuff, and its pretty boring, even with Romita Jr. Please leave, Marc Guggenheim. EH!

589: Would you believe there’s actually a rather good ASM issue starring the Spot? Like the Hammerhead two-parter, it takes a c-list rogue and upgrades him with a more powerful arsenal and a stronger motivation. My favorite bits have to be Spidey punching himself out swinging for the Spot’s many portals, or perhaps the Nolan Bale Batman voice gag that actually pays off later. Or maybe The Spot tragic story getting hilariously undercut by Spidey’s reveal that he couldn’t read any of it. GOOD!

590-591: This one sits in that weird zone of BND-ness that I don’t think holds up very well, kinda like that last two-parter Slott did. Filling in the blanks kinda story, and an excuse for a big timejump in the sub-plots. EH!

592-594: Ya know, I had forgotten how good this one was. Mark Waid does a great job on both sides of the Parker equation, advancing the May-Jonah Sr and Peter’s new roommate situation in some intelligent and hilarious ways, while also giving us some great back-and-forths between Spidey and his REAL greatest foe and now mayor of the city, J Jonah Jameson Jr. All very attractively drawn by McKone, who has one of my favorite Spideys, twisting and turning his body in a variety of ways unique to the character. The weakest part here being the new Vulture who’s kinda “monster-of-the-week” here, but he does provide some interesting action, like Spidey doing some Daredevil like blind concentration, or webbing his feet to the ground to catch him in the ballpark. Not a lot of big complaints here. GOOD!

595-599: American Son might be the one 5-part BND story that really landed for me. For one thing, Kelly comes up with a lot of material to sustain the length, from the sub-plots that will conclude in #600 and Norah’s infiltration of the Avengers, and well as a very engaging relationship between Norman and Harry. This is the kind of story you can do now with the BND and both people are alive, and they nail it right on the head, with a very nice conclusion of Harry finally stepping out of his dad’s shadow after whooping his ass. Kelly might write the best Dark Reign-era Norman Osborn this side of Warren Ellis. Not even the ever-changing artwork can dull the momentum of the narrative. GOOD! Could've been very good if the art was more consistent.

600: They should pass this around as a textbook example of how to do an anniversary issue. For $5 bucks, you get 100 pages of brand new content, celebrating the life and times of Spider-Man. You start off with a 60+ page story about Spidey vs Doc Ock on his last legs on the day of his Aunt’s wedding to Jonah Sr. It’s a very entertaining tale with some great Romita Jr artwork, if a bit contrived in the appearances of various Marvel characters for this “special” story. There’s also lots of back-ups, my particular favorites being the Stan Lee/Marcos Martin story and Zeb Wells’ ode to the ill-conceived Spider-Mobile. The main tale is GOOD, but considering the whole package, think I gotta bump it up a bit. Well done, Spidey team! VERY GOOD!

601: A set-up issue for the second half of the BND era. Not much else to say, although not a big fan of drunken one-night stand opener here. Mario Alberti’s artwork cleans up very nice. OKAY!

602-604: The opposite of the Waid 3-parter awhile ago, I like this one a bit less than I used to. I guess because of Superior Spider-Man kinda blowing this story up to bigger effect. Van Lente has a wonderful characterization for the Chameleon and I do love the early scenes of Peter getting his new job with Jonah, but the artwork is pretty weak here, not to mention inconsistent with artists and inkers, and the conclusion feels pat and rushed. OKAY!

605: I have no strong feelings about this one way or another, outside of the White Rabbit showing up and Javier Pulido’s artwork. OKAY!

606-607: NO GOOD CAME FROM THIS. AWFUL!

Well, we're much more consistent here, aren't we! The biggest difference is subbing out Gale and most of Guggenheim for stronger comic writers like Mark Waid, Joe Kelly, and Fred Van Lente. Suddenly, everything's really clicking. Old rogues like Hammerhead, the Spot, Doc Ock, and Chameleon get a new lease on life, new supporting cast members like Norah Winters and Jonah Sr. are fantastic additions, great usage of classic supporting cast members in Jonah/Aunt May/Betty Brant/Harry Osborn, the subplots like the one between Jonah Sr and Aunt May's relationship building up and being passed like a baton between the different stories are compelling in a soap opera way, and the art is generally strong and unique(Bachalo, Paolo Rivera, Javier Pulido, Marcos Martin and Romita Jr are a KILLER line-up, some of the best art in ASM history). The Jonah as Mayor thing is really such a fantastic move. With Peter on the outs from the Daily Bugle, they needed some way for Jonah to still be a boss to Peter and an figure of authority for Spidey to rebel against. Putting him in the mayor position fulfills both of these story demands, and having Jonah Sr hook up with Aunt May keeps Peter and Jonah Sr connected even outside the mayoral office. There are some bumps along the way, but I think this is probably the most wholly successful part of Brand New Day. An artistic revitalization of the Spider-Man comic narrative, done not with nostalgia and empty shock, but by building on the old mythos and ideas that made the Lee/Romita and Stern/JRJR ASM runs so successful in a new, modern way.

Just got back into comics after not buying any in years. I got a bunch of stuff, I made an thread in OT about which ones I liked but so far my favorite is Southern Bastards.

I don't even like football, I've never watched a full game, but the way the story is setup is great at establishing how brutal the setting is, and the way the cast is slowly expanded to include everyone who lives in town is interesting.

To be honest I was a little disappointing with the arc (I think I'm using that correctly) that follows a different person per issue, it was cool seeing some of them fleshed out but I really just want to see what happens when Earl's daughter gets to town. Some of the side stories weren't as interesting too, like the Deacon guy who wants to murder Coach seems a little weird. Why hasn't he just done it?

But the first two volumes are great. The atmosphere reminds me a little of Preacher, just really sleazy.

Other than that, Saga is also really good so far, I've only read the first volume so far but I picked up the second and third on Comixology. Really great art and the story seems kind of slapped together, like it's sort of just a bunch of random crazy shit happening for the sake of crazy shit happening, but the art is so imaginative that you can't wait to see what will happen on the next page.

I bought some duds too. The Wicked + The Divine didn't do anything for me. I was really excited to read it because the concept sounds really cool but it's pretty boring. I thought of characters sitting around in a room talking about how awesome they are without actually doing anything. They remind of people who would try to sound cool in high school by bragging about how much sex they were having. The plot seems like an afterthought as well. Everyone worships the gods, yet only one girl visits Lucifer in jail. I didn't understand the point of the whole underground scene, it's like they had this vision of two underworld gods having a fight and then tried to awkwardly justify it.

Ms. Marvel is another that I saw a lot of hype for that I didn't really like. Again, really cool concept, but that one just feels like it's for a younger audience. Like if my kids were into it, that'd be cool, but it feels like it's written for kids. A lot of really cheesy dialogue and situations that only a kid will relate too. "Aw man, my new superpowers got me grounded!"

Curious to read through the thread and see what I've missed.

We have a new "comic suggestion" or "getting back into comics" thread everyday but how come none of these posters bother to just post in comic-gaf or hit the search bar. o_o

For me personally it's because of the the way this OT is titled. I just assumed it's going to be people discussing specifically comics that came out this month, and it might not be the right place to ask for recommendations. Guess I was wrong, but that's the impression I got, that it's not a general Comics OT thread, but a Comics that Came Out in April 2016 OT thread.

There's a What Are You Reading? thread every month for books too and I'd treat that the same way. That thread is specifically for people to discuss what they're currently reading. I wouldn't go in that thread to ask something like "Hey, I just finished Harry Potter what other books would I maybe like?" even though some people wouldn't have an issue with it. Just doesn't fit the intended topic of the thread.

Just got back into comics after not buying any in years. I got a bunch of stuff, I made an thread in OT about which ones I liked but so far my favorite is Southern Bastards.

I don't even like football, I've never watched a full game, but the way the story is setup is great at establishing how brutal the setting is, and the way the cast is slowly expanded to include everyone who lives in town is interesting.

To be honest I was a little disappointing with the arc (I think I'm using that correctly) that follows a different person per issue, it was cool seeing some of them fleshed out but I really just want to see what happens when Earl's daughter gets to town. Some of the side stories weren't as interesting too, like the Deacon guy who wants to murder Coach seems a little weird. Why hasn't he just done it?

But the first two volumes are great. The atmosphere reminds me a little of Preacher, just really sleazy.

Other than that, Saga is also really good so far, I've only read the first volume so far but I picked up the second and third on Comixology. Really great art and the story seems kind of slapped together, like it's sort of just a bunch of random crazy shit happening for the sake of crazy shit happening, but the art is so imaginative that you can't wait to see what will happen on the next page.

I bought some duds too. The Wicked + The Divine didn't do anything for me. I was really excited to read it because the concept sounds really cool but it's pretty boring. I thought of characters sitting around in a room talking about how awesome they are without actually doing anything. They remind of people who would try to sound cool in high school by bragging about how much sex they were having. The plot seems like an afterthought as well. Everyone worships the gods, yet only one girl visits Lucifer in jail. I didn't understand the point of the whole underground scene, it's like they had this vision of two underworld gods having a fight and then tried to awkwardly justify it.

Ms. Marvel is another that I saw a lot of hype for that I didn't really like. Again, really cool concept, but that one just feels like it's for a younger audience. Like if my kids were into it, that'd be cool, but it feels like it's written for kids. A lot of really cheesy dialogue and situations that only a kid will relate too. "Aw man, my new superpowers got me grounded!"

Curious to read through the thread and see what I've missed.

For me personally it's because of the the way this OT is titled. I just assumed it's going to be people discussing specifically comics that came out this month, and it might not be the right place to ask for recommendations. Guess I was wrong, but that's the impression I got, that it's not a general Comics OT thread, but a Comics that Came Out in April 2016 OT thread.

There's a What Are You Reading? thread every month for books too and I'd treat that the same way. That thread is specifically for people to discuss what they're currently reading. I wouldn't go in that thread to ask something like "Hey, I just finished Harry Potter what other books would I maybe like?" even though some people wouldn't have an issue with it. Just doesn't fit the intended topic of the thread.
Same. Didn't come in here for a while due to the same thought. I think people have the same impressions about the monthly Indie Games threads too.

So yesterday and today I have read Colder vol 1&2 of 3. I couldn't even explain this book to you all. The best thing I could do is maybe say it's the same vein as your Silent Hill games. Journeys through the insane part of people's brains. It has very likable main protagonist in Declan and Reece. The setting is present day and the mad world is very Lovecraft. The villains are very creepy and really convey the dread the world has. If you like horror in books, and fantastic art. I highly recommend.

608-610: Every time I read a Marc Guggenheim story(that’s not the Flash one), I just keep hearing Gollum in my head. “Leave now and never come back. Leave Now and Never Come Back. LEAVE NOW AND NEVER COME BACK.” AWFUL!

611: A looney-toons manic battle between Marvel’s two big comedic quipsters, Spider-Man and Deadpool. Eric Canete’s artwork is perfect for the loosey-goosey infectious kinetic fun. VERY GOOD!

612-614: Was it really necessary to turn Electro into a bailout protestor? I get that Electro's never really had a compelling motivation besides being a cool Ditko visual, but man this stuff aged poorly. Waid’s not afraid of letting his political views be known in his work these days. Mostly decent. OKAY!

615-616: Van Lente’s best script, a clever two-parter about the Sandman with a downbeat ending that still seems right. But the real star of the show is Javier Pulido. The winter outfit he draws for Spidey is just fantastic, and he’s always doing great body language or smart storytelling layouts like the somber wintery JJJ/Robbie spread. VERY GOOD!

617: A great revitalization of The Rhino, giving him a depth to this cartoon character I think hasn’t really been done since “Flowers for Rhino”. Kelly seems to only be able to write annoying women or women who will soon die to cause grief for the male counterparts, but I enjoy Norah getting back on the horse for journalism. Speaking of horses…holy shit, that poor horse. Great back-up that fully puts you on the side of Alex…you know the good times can’t last, but at least Fiumara and Pulido are drawing the hell out of it. VERY GOOD

618-620: a very good 3-parter about Mysterio running a game on the mafia. Slott’s script is just on another level from these other dudes like Van Lente and Kelly, excellent mix of humor, furthering sub-plots(the Demon’s Breath! Evil Aunt May!), and finding fun action for his great artists like Marcos Martin and Javier Pulido to draw. Slott's finds an interesting new venue to utilize Mysterio's powerset without resorting to the Funhouse of Illusions bit everybody's been doing since that one Lee/Romita two-parter back in the day. Conclusion is a bit rushed, but very solid Spidey story here. Mysterio kicking Spidey in the balls never gets old. VERY GOOD!

621: Not really a story here, just a lot of chess pieces moving around for the future. Not actively bad like Guggenheim and Gale, just boring. Michael Lark is cool, tho. EH!

622: He’s a decent story by Van Lente about Spidey vs Morbius. The real appeal is A) seeing Peter in vamp make-up and B) Joe Quinos great artwork. There’s also this back-up about Flash I didn’t read cuz who cares about Flash pre-Venom. OKAY!

623-624: This one’s pretty ok, but this new Vulture’s a bust. And the ending is wrong. OKAY!

625: Ya know, this issue isn’t as strong as the first one, in retrospect, but its rather effective, obvious fridging or not. GOOD!

626: zzzzzzzzz CRAP!

Dark Reign – Spider-Man #1: With Spidey’s #1 bad guy controlling the MU, made sense for Peter to take it to him. Not one of Slott’s strongest scripts, but Kubert’s art shapes up nicely enough. OKAY!

627-629: SOMETHING CAN STOP THE JUGGERNAUT!? Nothing special, Lee Weeks is cool. OKAY!

630-633: A fantastic Lizard story that shows that “grim and gritty” doesn’t have to be a bad thing. It goes to some dark places no doubt, but its just not empty shock value, but brutally effective drama. And behind all the darkness, there’s the theme of Love being the thing that will conqueror all, right from the beginning with Peter/Carlie right to the end with Evil Aunt May. Bachalo and Rios are totally in their element here. Great stuff. VERY GOOD!

634-637: This started off so strong…then it slowly withered away into dumbass plotting, art fill-ins, dumb jokes, a zoo stampede that didn’t seem to matter one bit, and more forced “grr I’m mad” Spider-Man. EH!

638-641: I’ve said it many times, but OMIT is like bringing up a bad argument you had with your spouse because you KNOW you had a good answer this time, but it just brings up bad memories and why the fuck did you even bother. I can’t believe they wasted Paolo Rivera on this piece of shit. CRAP!

642-646: McGuffin chasing for 6 issues and Azceta’s not really a good fit for this kind of superhero action story at all. But all the interpersonal Peter and his supporting cast bits are good. And I’m happy Harry got a happy ending out of this, out of EVERYTHING that guy has been struggling with for decades. OKAY!

647: Not a bad send-off to BND and a good send-up to Slott’s upcoming run on ASM. GOOD!

So a bit more mixed again in the final third, but stronger than the first. The Gauntlet continues the concentrated effort to revitalize the old Spidey rogues that haven't been interesting in years(decades?). Most of these are quite successful, especially Sandman, the Rhino, The Lizard and Mysterio with strong story structures and great artwork. The Waid ones are a bit middle of the road, and Azecta isn't the best. There are random high watermarks like the Kelly/Canete Deadpool vs Spidey issue that ends with a schoolyard Yo Momma joke competition complete with a gang of kids to go "OHHHHHH!" at the punchlines. There are terrible, practically worthless comics like OMIT that waste the talents of Paolo Rivera. The big event stories falter under the hype and build-up. A lot of the connective tissue is great, like the Grim Hunt build-up, and EVIL AUNT MAY, maybe my favorite Spidey sub-plot of all-time, with a great ending in Shed. There are some fantastic artists here, some of the best in the series history(Emma Rios, Chris Bachalo, Javier Pulido, Max Fiamura, Eric Canete, Michael Lark, Joe Quinoanoes), that elevates the good stories to greatness and the ok ones to worthwhile reads. Definitely some big misses here, but so much good.

And that's basically how I look back at BND as a whole, a largely successful experiment to get ASM back to the comic it should've been. Overall, there was a such a strong usage of and additions to Peter's supporting cast, his rogue gallery, the usage of his powers and humor, the overall sense of fun and drama, the sharp and taut pacing of most of the stories, the almost universally EXCELLENT artwork. And it came out so fast, that even a bad story was gone in a month. In about a 100 issues, most of them are well worth your while, several of them some of the strongest in series history. Creatively, you gotta put this down as a success. And Slott is the best Spidey writer of the bunch, so it was a good move they made him the head writer after this.

Boogiepop

Guys, I've finished Batman: Odyssey. And yup, it was baaaaaaaaad. Like, jesus. In theory I'm not 100% sure it's the worst thing I've ever read if only because it kind of settled out enough at the end that it became mildly comprehensible and you could see the madness as poking fun at itself with some stuff. But yeah, for the vast majority of the run, it's gibberish.

The art is horrifying half the time, including how each chapter starts with an awkwardly hairy, shirtless Bruce greeting you up close and personal until he finally, mercifully puts a shirt on. And the dialogue is a mess with really weird punctuation and the whole way it fragments, and then getting waaaay too direct (just hurling random, juvenile insults) and of course, a lot of the time just being nonsense. Oh, and it has a weird thing where it will get waaaaaay too in depth on the science of some thing or another before descending back into madness. And it has Batman threatening civilians with guns to get them to move. But yeah, I guess the biggest issue may just be how impossibly poorly it flows. If you break up the scenes you can usually understand them well enough on their own, but the way they're stitched together just doesn't work... at all. Which is why I softened on it a LITTLE, btw, at the end, because by then all the plot points are laid out so they stop randomly popping up and jumping around with no explanation. (Like, here's a caveman Batman in this scene for no goddamn reason, now let's not explain him for like 6-7 issues.)

I still think my "favorite" bit is the baffling stuff with the hydrogen car, where a crapload of time is spent on it for no reason. Like, for some reason a criminal is like "we smuggled this car so I can shoot it and make it blow up!" and then there's a good chunk of time of both the scientist and Batman explaining why that won't work. Oh, and the "Riddler" clue that amounts to Batman drinking runoff water from the car for... some reason.

God that was a bafflingly awful comic. Seriously, does anyone have any insight into the making of this mess? How did this ever get approved and published? Like, really?

God that was a bafflingly awful comic. Seriously, does anyone have any insight into the making of this mess? How did this ever get approved and published? Like, really?

When legendary/influential Batman artist Neal Adams comes to you and says he's gonna write/draw a huge Batman story, you just say yes. "How bad could it be?"

BatsWithGuns-595x275.jpg

"Mother."

I switched from floppies to digital a while back and it was a great decision. I was getting to the point where I'd have a pile of comics sitting on my desk that would grow every week until I felt like sorting them into the longboxes (I never felt like sorting them into the longboxes). I went through my longboxes and pulled out all the stuff that is or may be valuable and just tossed the rest of it. Saving so much space by not having to find places to keep floppies anymore. I would suggest you join the digital future. Though it does make you more susceptible to impulse buys and comixology sales, but at least you won't have to find a place for any of it.

If there's a collected edition coming out of something I really liked, then I'll usually buy that. I still buy physical versions of collected editions. But the monthly stuff is all digital now.

Yeah, I enjoyed Nameless, but it does read like typical Morrison. I got the basic gist of it, though. It felt like a Lovecraftian take on science fiction, which I appreciated.

Final Crisis really didn't fit in with the other Crises events DC has had. There were things I liked about it, but to this day I really don't know what to make of it as a whole.

We talk about lots of stuff here. Just no comic talk.

Comics were a mistake.

frye

#568-573: this is good shit man

#574: Never Guggenheim Ever because jeez I remember really hating the shit outta this goofy ass issue and it's honestly probably my single least favourite of the entire run

#606-607: yeah, this lays it a bit think on "this is sexy, right guy?!?" but Black Cat is great and Kelly brings a lightness to the material that's a lot of fun

#634-637: I remember liking Grim Hunt a lot, not as much as the preceding Lizard story as far as "grim and gritty" Spidey stories go or the really good Gauntlet arcs (Keemia's Castle, the Rhino stories) but definitely more than the middle of the road stuff (Vulture, Electro). And it functions fairly well as an end to the last, what, 40 issues of buildup?

The Gauntlet is strong overall though, despite the shoe-in Clone Saga bit, and the conceit is really clever. As an attempt to do stories with the classic villains that have narrative weight, it's successful despite arguably not quite succeeding in "revitalizing" any of them other than Doc Ock.

#642-646: Waid/Azaceta close it out in an arc that's fairly fun but also weirdly frivolous after the trash heap that was OMIT and all the Gauntlet stuff so yeah, OKAY! is a pretty good summation

The strongest argument for BND is that it's probably the closest thing American comics have gotten to something like 2000AD, even more than any of the DC weekly books, in that it's coming out at a heightened frequency without the baggage of the stories stagnating because even if the current arc sucked, you could always just wait a few weeks and Paolo Rivera would be drawing the Punisher or w/e

If there's a collected edition coming out of something I really liked, then I'll usually buy that. I still buy physical versions of collected editions. But the monthly stuff is all digital now.

Same. It's the best way IMO. Collections look nice on a shelf at least.

There's a few hardcovers I need to buy in the next while.

The Batman and Alfred stuff was insane.

I have no words. CMX needs to put this on sale!

Hagi

Shieeet that's some good stuff JC now I want to reread Brand New Day. I was all about that triple shipping Spider-man. I really enjoyed most of it. The Bachalo snow storm demon issue is stellar.

Top Bottom