• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Messi

If that is consider trash then I have a few things to say about some of the covers in the OP.

tenor.gif

The sktchd podcast with David Brothers is very good and you should listen to it

http://sktchd.com/podcast/off-panel-112-sausage-making-with-david-brothers/
hell yes. stoked to listen to this.
Fair enough.
In other news, Bleeding Cool decided to put this article out.
Yes, Most Marvel Comics Writers Are Conservatives. And?

He forms his argument around the idea that because UK conservatives are to the left of US liberals (which is very reductive as it is) liberal Marvel writers are actually more conservative. His larger point is that there are no strong leftist voices writing for Marvel, which is actually true but not at all what the headline would suggest (naturally - it's Rich!).

VanWinkle

Fair enough.
In other news, Bleeding Cool decided to put this article out.
Yes, Most Marvel Comics Writers Are Conservatives. And?

What a weird article. As he says, UK conservatives are to the left of most US liberals, so by that definition pretty much everybody in the US is a conservative. It has to be relative to your location. It's like he's the only one whose being willfully ignorant to that.

Not that that's a surprise of course, but still.

VanWinkle

lol. I was going to ask for your all's opinion on whether I should pull the trigger on my IST "damaged book" sale tentative order. About $50 total for Invincible Compendium Vol 1, Nightwing by Dixon Vol 3, and JL Generation Lost Vol 1 and 2. Cover price for these four together is $165. I wasn't sure if I should go for this while they're that price or wait for Journey Into Mystery Omnibus to go back in stock on IST and buy that instead. Then I thought to myself, okay, I could get 2000 pages of great content right now, or wait and get a 700 page omnibus for the same price. The thought process made me realize that it would be silly not to take advantage of this sale. Sure, an omnibus is a much nicer format, but the content is more important than the format. I can always get JIM Omnibus in a month or so.

If only they would put out more trades so I can buy best Supergirl all over again.

Book three is in October and book four is in January!

lol. I was going to ask for your all's opinion on whether I should pull the trigger on my IST "damaged book" sale tentative order. About $50 total for Invincible Compendium Vol 1, Nightwing by Dixon Vol 3, and JL Generation Lost Vol 1 and 2. I wasn't sure if I should go for this while they're that price or wait for Journey Into Mystery Omnibus to go back in stock on IST and buy that instead. Then I thought to myself, okay, I could get 2000 pages of great content right now, or wait and get a 700 page omnibus for the same price. The thought process made me realize that it would be silly not to take advantage of this sale. Sure, an omnibus is a much nicer format, but the content is more important than the format. I can always get JIM Omnibus in a month or so.

Book three is in October and book four is in January!

Oh! I missed 2 then. Neat

Neophant

Been keeping busy with travelling across the country the last two weeks, but I've had some of the downtime in flights to read some books. Preacher was a phenomenal series all throughout, and I was genuinely surprised at how introspective and thoughtful Garth Ennis gives to the characters' dialogue.

Afterwards, I read through the Sandman Mystery Theatre Book 2 in one sitting and having read the books before in physical trade, I was surprised at the inclusion of an annual that explores a crime from the perspective of different people involved.

Finally, I'm continuing my readthrough of the John Ostrander / Kim Yates Suicide Squad Run and almost finishing up vol. 4, The Janus Directive. It's actually cool to see the Squad interact and get involved in a crossover that incorporates a lot of other books done around the same time (like Manhunter and Checkmate). Pretty excited to see where it goes, and volume 5 is ready and downloaded after I'm done!

Aizo

Banned
Haven't read much today. Almost finished with Gotham Academy :(

My friend and I beat Bloodborne and now I'm off to see New Japan Pro Wrestling with someone else for the first time. Do you want pics of slams? Not sure if I'll have a good view.

Bizarro's "Origin":

Isn't that just memories he got from Clark?

From amazon:
In the newest installment of the Earth One original graphic novel line, writer/artist Gabriel Hardman (INVISIBLE REPUBLIC) creates an all-new origin for the Emerald Warrior in GREEN LANTERN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1!

Hal Jordan yearns for the thrill of discovery, but the days when astronaut and adventure were synonymous are long past. His gig prospecting asteroids for Ferris Galactic is less than fulfilling--but least he's not on Earth, where technology and culture have stagnated. He might be a nobody, but he's in space.

When Jordan finds a powerful ring, he also finds a destiny to live up to. There are worlds beyond his own, unlike anything he ever imagined. But revelation comes with a price: the Green Lantern Corps has fallen, long since murdered by ruthless killing machines known as Manhunters. The odds against reinstating the Corps are nearly impossible...but doing the impossible is exactly what an astronaut like Hal Jordan was trained to do.

From creator Gabriel Hardman, the critically acclaimed author of INVISIBLE REPUBLIC, comes a soaring new epic original graphic novel in the tradition of the best-selling WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 by Grant Morrison and BATMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 by Geoff Johns! GREEN LANTERN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 is a radical look at the Lantern mythology and a great entry point for new readers.

Behind the scenes of the work by brother Greg and Scott.

Haven't read much today. Almost finished with Gotham Academy :(

My friend and I beat Bloodborne and now I'm off to see New Japan Pro Wrestling with someone else for the first time. Do you want pics of slams? Not sure if I'll have a good view.
I'm jealous you have many opportunities to see NJPW, the SoCal show sold out fast

Aizo

Banned
I'm jealous you have many opportunities to see NJPW, the SoCal show sold out fast
There are so many events in general in big cities in Japan. It's ridiculous. If I were rich, I'd be going to events 7 days a week.

Also, holy shit that event was so hype tonight. Way better crowd than the last wrestling show I went to. Also better crowd than at Sumo haha. Sumo is fun, though, too.

Phamit

Secret Empire #8
Felt a bit redundant and they didn't really know how to move forward in a different way but it had to be done. Shirtless beard Steve was the most interesting part in this issue. Although it's close to overstay it's welcome

Aizo

Banned
I'm finished with Gotham Academy. Sad time.
I liked the last two issues a lot.

I think I mentioned this in here before, but I was so shocked when I found this book. For years, I've wished for a quality piece of film, game, show, novel, or comic about a boarding school with lots of mysteries and a group of students that investigate them. I wanted a low key occult atmosphere. This was pretty much exactly this book, so I was ecstatic when I found it one day. Is there any other comic (or any medium) that matches my wishes (and isn't Harry Potter)?

Top Bottom