• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

VanWinkle

Finished Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction/Brubaker/Aja. VERY good. Great writing, fantastic sense of legacy and mythology. Didn't make me love Iron Fist as a character or anything, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Aizo

Banned
My friend that works at a comic book store says it's quite likely that Gwenpool will get axed due to sales. I thought I had read here before that it's safe because it's beloved among the editors. He says that the book meets criteria for books that are in danger in Marvel currently.

Do you agree with him?

Edit: I think he's taking it back after taking another look, so this post is pointless now.

mreddie

Marvel has no idea what to do anymore, both sides sound right, then again, majority of comic stores are being crybabies and want the same ol same ol.

Aizo

Banned
Gwenpool isn't going anywhere. It's the best thing Marvel is publishing right now.
It's so fun. I really like it.

--
Secret Empire 8

I thought people posted saying not much happened? This was one of the few issues where something actually did happen. Still, this event has absolutely zero tension for me. Hard to read knowing how things will change soon.

Sandfox

My friend that works at a comic book store says it's quite likely that Gwenpool will get axed due to sales. I thought I had read here before that it's safe because it's beloved among the editors. He says that the book meets criteria for books that are in danger in Marvel currently.

Do you agree with him?

Edit: I think he's taking it back after taking another look, so this post is pointless now.
We'll see what happens with the book next year. It's funny how there are people don't want her exist with a certain retailer even asking Marvel to get rid of her and Spider-Gwen because their existence hurts Marvel's image/credibility with consumers. I'm not expecting the current ongoing to survive past Legacy though.

Wanderer5

Must avoid Metal spoilers! Looking forward to the first issue this coming week.

It's solid. I don't think I've ever enjoyed Batwoman as much as the Blackman/Williams III run, though.

Rucka/Williams III gets the edge for me personally, but the one with Blackman is a touch special, being one of the series that got me back into comics when new 52 happened. It is too bad about the whole thing later on....

Rucka/Williams III gets the edge for me personally, but the one with Blackman is a touch special, being one of the series that got me back into comics when new 52 happened. It is too bad about the whole thing later on....

Not as bad as what happened after that. Vampires and outer space, Jesus Christ.

Was too soured to check out the series after that, so don't know what to say, beside that maybe Batwoman in outer space would have been kind of cool lol.

You would think, but they fucked that up too. I mean, Clayface and fucking Ragman were in that arc. And a few other schmucks too.

Wanderer5

So what happened to Maggie after the no marrying fiasco? Did she just drift away lol?

Well least they apparently were a married couple in the Arkham series canon, so guess that is something.

So what happened to Maggie after the no marrying fiasco? Did she just drift away lol?

Pretty much. Kate got hypnotized by a Vampire lady and ended up having lots of crazy lesbian vampire sex. Though DC retconned that later when people started with the rape comparisons.

smh

Well least they apparently were a married couple in the Arkham series canon, so guess that is something.

Maggie ended up moving to Metropolis again right as Rebirth started. Think her last action at the GCPD was sending Saturn Girl to Arkham for a check by the doctors.

dh4niel

Several weeks behind on my reading but just finished Generations - Banner Hulk & The Totally Awesome Hulk. What a pointless issue. I thought these Generations issue were going to show the current status quo of the characters and the differences and similarities between the 2 characters but this kinda does nothing at all. It's vaguely touched upon how these charterers came to be (cho gets a line and banner gets a page), then it's generic giant monster battle and it's over.

Really hope the Phoenix & Jean Grey issue is better.

Aizo

Banned
I don't think I shared this. My Japanese friend dressed up as Spider-man when we saw it at the theater. I'm not in the shot. The picture cracked me up since he's so calmly sitting in a crowded theater with people staring at him.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG9WPzHUwAARaof.jpg:large[/IMG]

Sandfox

Several weeks behind on my reading but just finished Generations - Banner Hulk & The Totally Awesome Hulk. What a pointless issue. I thought these Generations issue were going to show the current status quo of the characters and the differences and similarities between the 2 characters but this kinda does nothing at all. It's vaguely touched upon how these charterers came to be (cho gets a line and banner gets a page), then it's generic giant monster battle and it's over.

Really hope the Phoenix & Jean Grey issue is better.

Generations Hulk
gave Cho a look at the life his hero was forced to live. Banner was running from the military stealing clothes, avoiding his friends in order to protect, and eating out of the garbage and Cho called him out on all these things because he didn't understand it. Cho has always seen the Hulk as a force of good and even argues that to Banner only for Banner to show him over the course of the issue that it's a curse. Basically he was forced to live a day in Banner's life and now he sees the Hulk as a curse rather than "Totally Awesome" and wants to cure himself.

shingi70

Banned
She had sex with her while she was under hypnotism and couldn't reject her...how would you describe it?

It's rape, but Vampires have been raping sense Bram Stroker wrote Dracula.

It's an icky part of the genre that isn't really touched on that much.

dh4niel

Secret Empire #8 was a really good issue. I think it helps that things are actually happening now.

Bucky to the rescue in #9

New essay.

Unlockable Kangaroo is a weekly updated and downloadable archive and hub of essays and articles on a wide variety of subjects by me , Colin Spacetwinks - and made possible through Twine. Avoiding getting lost in the content churn of daily, hourly updated websites, or being reliant on hosted at various blogging outlets, you can download and read new and old pieces in a system dedicated to archiving and curating the work without having to look back through old blog posts and the like.

August 11th's piece: A dive into an aspect of comic legend Dwayne McDuffie that rarely gets spoken of when bringing up his accolades, his skills, his strengths - his natural hand for comedy, stretching for decades in his work.

Hardware #1 did really good back in the day.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There is no rape in Dracula. The count has Mina under mental control, but rape is not even hinted.

Does that mean Purple Man wasn't a rapist then? And that Mockingbird wasn't raped?
How do you get to that Purple Man thing?
Edit: Just to make clear, I just find anything related to him in this discussion right now and I just want to know what has been retconned.

Does that mean Purple Man wasn't a rapist then? And that Mockingbird wasn't raped?
Purple Man had nothing to do with Mockingbird. That was Phantom Rider, I think his name was? Some ghost cowboy. They retconned it to being something like it was actually consensual sex, but Clint twisted it in his head to be a rape to justify Bobbi cheating on him. Or something. I'll be honest; I didn't read that.

In Alias, it is explicitly stated that Purple Man did not rape Jessica Jones. She was held hostage and forced to watch Kilgrave rape other girls and not be able to do it as "punishment" for being a superhero.

Messi

I'd love a 12 issue Catwoman series by King and Gerads. I just wanted to follow her in the Batman issues by them :/

Purple Man had nothing to do with Mockingbird. That was Phantom Rider, I think his name was? Some ghost cowboy. They retconned it to being something like it was actually consensual sex, but Clint twisted it in his head to be a rape to justify Bobbi cheating on him. Or something. I'll be honest; I didn't read that.

In Alias, it is explicitly stated that Purple Man did not rape Jessica Jones. She was held hostage and forced to watch Kilgrave rape other girls and not be able to do it as "punishment" for being a superhero.

I'm not sure about the actual examples but in terms of the post, I definitely read that as two separate examples, I don't believe he was saying Mockingbird and Purple man has anything to do with each other

I'm not sure about the actual examples but in terms of the post, I definitely read that as two separate examples, I don't believe he was saying Mockingbird and Purple man has anything to do with each other
Regardless, I still think the Mockingbird retcon is stupid. I didn't read it, so correct me if I'm wrong:
the idea was that since the narrative came from a man, in this case Clint, it was told in a way that he best could comprehend it: Bobbi couldn't possibly cheat and was therefore raped. Then Bobbi killed cowboy rapist, for raping her and Clint (in one if the most problematic events in superhero history) blames her for murder, which inevitably leads to their divorce. Years later, Bobbi explains that she cheated on Clint and was not raped. That her being raped was his perspective, she cheated on him, and killed cowboy (not)rapist anyways.

Am I correct so far?

From Ellis' newsletter:
Chip did this on my old website five years ago. I thought of it the other day. It still makes me smile. So here it is, for those of you that never saw it:

7749334694_282349a70dqlo2k.jpg

Chip Zdarsky is an Eisner Award-winning writer and artist, and I am not, so he is a more valuable and higher-quality person than me.

Top Bottom