• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Wanderer5

I don't think I shared this. My Japanese friend dressed up as Spider-man when we saw it at the theater. I'm not in the shot. The picture cracked me up since he's so calmly sitting in a crowded theater with people staring at him.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG9WPzHUwAARaof.jpg:large[/IMG]

Heh heh, that is pretty cool.:)

dh4niel

Generations Phoenix & Jean Grey was a really good, fun read. Cements the fact that I never want OG Jean Grey to come back ever again. One "Oh no! The Phoenix Force! Wah!" Character is enough.

Maybe bring her back just to give her the Phoenix Force and they can both fuck off forever in space.

Generations Phoenix & Jean Grey was a really good, fun read. Cements the fact that I never want OG Jean Grey to come back ever again. One "Oh no! The Phoenix Force! Wah!" Character is enough.

Maybe bring her back just to give her the Phoenix Force and they can both fuck off forever in space.
Oh, don't worry. Hope and all the other hosts will probably show up to tie-in with the Dark Phoenix movie like Apocalypse showed up to tie-in with the last one.

Edit: BC found some cool Absolutes, trades etc on Amazon.

tim1138

I don't think I shared this. My Japanese friend dressed up as Spider-man when we saw it at the theater. I'm not in the shot. The picture cracked me up since he's so calmly sitting in a crowded theater with people staring at him.
Code:

I didn't know you were friends with Gameproof offline!

Code:

The hit new Japanese anime, "My Best Friend Is A Spider-Man".

She had sex with her while she was under hypnotism and couldn't reject her...how would you describe it?

Man, I don't really wanna argue about this... But I'll at least give you my reasoning. For one, it wasn't heavily implied. It seems like something they wrote in but didn't really connect the dots on until people started complaining. Even if it was their intention, it wasn't explicit and barely touched on. But it conveyed a vulnerability in Kate that superheroes don't often experience. The thing I'm getting at is that rape is intentionally used as a plot point in many mediums. Movies, paranormal romance novels, probably every episode of Law & Order: SVU ever made (albeit perpetrated by a different type of monster)... So why don't people complain about those things too? Rape is a monstrous thing but gets used in media literally all the time. People being sensitive to it isn't surprising, but films and television shows don't get retconned to appease people. Vampires are assholes. This is exactly the kind of thing they do.

Vampires are evil monsters that prey on the living both physically and mentally.
Who'd a thunk it?

Pretty much this.

It'll turn out that Young Jean is a remnant of the Phoenix Jean that became Dark Phoenix and then they'll merge and become Phoenix 1,000,000 BC. The O5 X-Men are all manifestations of Young Jean, which is why they can't go back in time.

It'll all somehow connect to Morrison's run when Phoenix Jean time-travelled.

Messi

Man, I don't really wanna argue about this... But I'll at least give you my reasoning. For one, it wasn't heavily implied. It seems like something they wrote in but didn't really connect the dots on until people started complaining. Even if it was their intention, it wasn't explicit and barely touched on. But it conveyed a vulnerability in Kate that superheroes don't often experience. The thing I'm getting at is that rape is intentionally used as a plot point in many mediums. Movies, paranormal romance novels, probably every episode of Law & Order: SVU ever made (albeit perpetrated by a different type of monster)... So why don't people complain about those things too? Rape is a monstrous thing but gets used in media literally all the time. People being sensitive to it isn't surprising, but films and television shows don't get retconned to appease people. Vampires are assholes. This is exactly the kind of thing they do.

Pretty much this.

paFKPGv.jpg

Seems pretty blunt to me.

It's also not rare for rape to be used as a plot point. It's almost the default for any kind of horror happening to a woman. Superheroes aren't exempt from this bullshit trope.

It'll turn out that Young Jean is a remnant of the Phoenix Jean that became Dark Phoenix and then they'll merge and become Phoenix 1,000,000 BC. The O5 X-Men are all manifestations of Young Jean, which is why they can't go back in time.

It always comes back to Morrison.

Disgraced

Well guys, I came to the comic shop, ended up picking up the latest of Paper Girls, Bitch Planet Book One, and some Spider-Gwen and

MY FUCKING TRUCK BROKE DOWN HERE FUCK

Sandfox

They're setting up something with Jean for Legacy so we'll see what happens there.

Messi

I LIKE PAPER THO

And the earliest of Deadly Class I could find was a hard trade for fifty bucks, so naaaaaaah man. Not today.

So, here I sit, Fritos and comic book in hand.

You will soon understand that deadly class is one of if not the best books and that is the best edition

dh4niel

Read Mister Miracle #1 and really enjoyed it. I know nothing about the character but I'm really looking forward to the whole thing. First DC comic I've read in years and first Tom King thing I've read too. Still need to read Vision.

Regardless, I still think the Mockingbird retcon is stupid. I didn't read it, so correct me if I'm wrong:
the idea was that since the narrative came from a man, in this case Clint, it was told in a way that he best could comprehend it: Bobbi couldn't possibly cheat and was therefore raped. Then Bobbi killed cowboy rapist, for raping her and Clint (in one if the most problematic events in superhero history) blames her for murder, which inevitably leads to their divorce. Years later, Bobbi explains that she cheated on Clint and was not raped. That her being raped was his perspective, she cheated on him, and killed cowboy (not)rapist anyways.

Am I correct so far?

What the hell..lol

That took like 30 years..

Preacher Absolute 3! Yes! It'll be good to finish that off... and maybe they can *finally* get around to doing Transmet Absolute Vol 3, which appears to have just disappeared into the ether, never to be seen again. Especially given Transmet Vol 2 was... what.. early 2016? While Preacher Vol2 was earlier this year.

I'm about 3/4 done with the Flash Rebirth hardcover and I'm really enjoying it. I've never really read much Flash before.

If you want more, DC has been doing an excellent job with reprinting Flash stuff recently. They put out a trade collecting the Millar/Morrison stuff and are currently putting out big trades for Johns and Waid's runs.

Great time to be a Flash fan.

If you want more, DC has been doing an excellent job with reprinting Flash stuff recently. They put out a trade collecting the Millar/Morrison stuff and are currently putting out big trades for Johns and Waid's runs.

Great time to be a Flash fan.

I'll probably check more of it out at some point, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with some other things I've got to read first. Need to read the rest of Abe Sapien and them the Punisher MAX Complete Collections.

Preacher Absolute 3! Yes! It'll be good to finish that off... and maybe they can *finally* get around to doing Transmet Absolute Vol 3, which appears to have just disappeared into the ether, never to be seen again. Especially given Transmet Vol 2 was... what.. early 2016? While Preacher Vol2 was earlier this year.

I just hope they aren't having trouble making the last one, it is going to be fairly large. 21 issues + any extra material.

I feel like I don't really understand Generations yet. I get that it is a series of one shot comics in which they run into their counterparts but is it entirely self-contained or leading up to something? Because so far both Hulk and Jean Grey felt really really kind of pointless.

Messi

I'm about 3/4 done with the Flash Rebirth hardcover and I'm really enjoying it. I've never really read much Flash before.

I loved it more and more as it went on. I love the last story about the darkness.

Who's art do you like most? Googe?

It's also my first flash book so I am learning a fair bit as I go. I love little Wally West.

Sean C

I just finished the third volume of Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang's Paper Girls series. My verdict is pretty much the same as with the first two volumes: great characters, great art, exciting to read on a moment-to-moment basis, I have no idea what's happening with the larger plot.

Aizo

Banned
I read the first arc of Rebirth flash, and I didn't love it because I felt it was generic. I always knew what would happen. Would I maybe like it more after that?

VanWinkle

I loved it more and more as it went on. I love the last story about the darkness.

Who's art do you like most? Googe?

It's also my first flash book so I am learning a fair bit as I go. I love little Wally West.

I'm surprised to be liking Di Giandomenico as much as I am. I remember Tragicomedy saying it was like the worst art ever, haha, so I wasn't expecting much.

I haven't got to any Googe stuff, but from what I flipped through his stuff looks awesome.

Messi

I'm surprised to be liking Di Giandomenico as much as I am. I remember Tragicomedy saying it was like the worst art ever, haha, so I wasn't expecting much.

I haven't got to any Googe stuff, but from what I flipped through his stuff looks awesome.

I believe he is the first artist after Di Giandomenico. He's the main alternating artist. Him and one other guy. The first issue where I fell in love with it was Flashes day off.

Read Mister Miracle #1 and really enjoyed it. I know nothing about the character but I'm really looking forward to the whole thing. First DC comic I've read in years and first Tom King thing I've read too. Still need to read Vision.
Kirby's entire run on Mister Miracle is coming out next month. You should check it out if you have the time since the cuurent run is somewhat of a sequel to that.

VanWinkle

I believe he is the first artist after Di Giandomenico. He's the main alternating artist. Him and one other guy. The first issue where I fell in love with it was Flashes day off.

Can't wait for that. I LOVE one-off issues like that, sort of "day in the life" things (assuming that that's what that is).

Wanderer5

Kirby's entire run on Mister Miracle is coming out next month. You should check it out if you have the time since the cuurent run is somewhat of a sequel to that.

So his run goes up to issue 18 from the looks of it? Maybe I will get the last 8 issues before the jack kirby sale does away.

VanWinkle

You'll see :p

Have you read Flash by Manapul/Booch? I really enjoyed the omni, tbh. It read really well in one big collection, because a lot of the events of the book are called upon throughout up until the end, and it almost felt like one big story. Ended well, too.

Of, course, the art was MASTERFUL, too.

Messi

Have you read Flash by Manapul/Booch? I really enjoyed the omni, tbh. It read really well in one big collection, because a lot of the events of the book are called upon throughout up until the end, and it almost felt like one big story. Ended well, too.

Of, course, the art was MASTERFUL, too.

I bought it about a month ago.

Top Bottom