• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

giphy.gif

113 Hulk 8 Marvel 19,143
119 Royals 5 Marvel 18,622
130 Iceman 3 Marvel 15,743
139 U.S. Avengers 8 Marvel 14,821
144 Luke Cage 3 Marvel 14,320
150 Hawkeye 8 Marvel 13,772
157 New Super Man 13 DC 12,951
165 Blue Beetle 11 DC 12,075

I really hope the tv show just puts a nail in the coffin of the Inhumans. I'm so sick to death of them. Sucks about Iceman though. I think Marvel has just oversaturated things to an absurd degree.

New Superman and Blue Beetle are too bad as well, though I always though Jamie worked better as a Titan anyway and New Supes is a hard sell overall.

tim1138

A lot of people don't like The Flash Rebirth though. I love it and have done since the beginning.

I'm honestly surprised that reception is relatively mixed on Flash Rebirth. It's just really good Flash comics.

You have the benefit of reading it in trade. In single issues the pacing on the Godspeed arc was awful and the story seemed like it went on forever. After dropping it I've read the trades as they've come out and Williamson has gotten better, but it's still a bit uneven. It's better than New52 Flash (not like that's saying much), but doesn't reach any of the preN52 heights.

New Super-Man noooo...

Spotted the first three volumes of the new release tpbs of Morrison's Doom Patrol in a store the other day. The spine design is making me want to double dip...

Aizo

Banned
Yea see. That's going to be a problem. We don't like talking comics around these here parts
I don't know what else to talk about? Random J life stuff that nobody cares about? I can do that. My friend and I ate kebabs in Ueno today, saw a Pakistan/Japan Festival, bought a physical copy of Mister Miracle, and drank a Smore flavored frappacino at Starbucks.

Is that better?
I'm a guy who likes Horror. Ooh.

I don't know what else to talk about? Random J life stuff that nobody cares about? I can do that. My friend and I ate kebabs in Ueno today, saw a Pakistan/Japan Festival, bought a physical copy of Mister Miracle, and drank a Smore flavored frappacino at Starbucks.

Is that better?

I'm a guy who likes Horror. Ooh.

Would rate post 9/10, would consider eating kebabs with hatted doggo in the future

OT AUGUST - HATTED DOGGO EATS KEBABS IN JAPAN, FOR COMICS SEE JULY THREAD

Seriously though apart from the Starbucks mistake that sounds like a pretty good day out

I'm honestly surprised that reception is relatively mixed on Flash Rebirth. It's just really good Flash comics.

I just find the whole book issue to issue way overwritten. Way too much narration/monologue boxes, always telling instead of just letting the art breath and show itself. It feels like it's trying to do the "I'm Barry Allen and I'm The Flash" shtick from the show, but every issue. Tear out a lot of those boxes and I think it would read better; in that level, I appreciate you like it dude but never mind The Flash, I don't think it's very good comics, at least in the writing style department, just way too much redundant text that drags me down.

Totally appreciate some of you guys like it though, I wouldn't have chimed in if this hadn't kind of presented the Q, otherwise I think it's cool folks are enjoying it.

Also I tried Redlands issue 1 when I was picking up Mr Miracle last week, I really wanted to like it for the team involved but didn't really hit with me. Just seemed like pretty cliche horror stuff, nothing really original in there and the art wasn't even that great to go with it. Maybe horror style comics just don't do it for me or maybe it was something that would just take a few issues to develop.

Yeah I didn't really like it either

Aizo

Banned
I just find the whole book issue to issue way overwritten. Way too much narration/monologue boxes, always telling instead of just letting the art breath and show itself. It feels like it's trying to do the "I'm Barry Allen and I'm The Flash" shtick from the show, but every issue. Tear out a lot of those boxes and I think it would read better; in that level, I appreciate you like it dude but never mind The Flash, I don't think it's very good comics, at least in the writing style department, just way too much redundant text that drags me down.

Totally appreciate some of you guys like it though, I wouldn't have chimed in if this hadn't kind of presented the Q, otherwise I think it's cool folks are enjoying it.
This is a really good write-up that explains some other issues I had with it.
Why do people in Japan drive left? I can understand it for India, but why in Japan?
The reason that they stayed on the left side, as opposed to all the countries that lined up together to put everything on the ride side is likely because the British helped the Japanese build their first railway. The railroad network all continued to be operated on the left side, and cars probably followed suit.

Mafro

I really hope the tv show just puts a nail in the coffin of the Inhumans. I'm so sick to death of them.
They're perfectly fine and have their place, I just think they've been handled really poorly

splitting up Black Bolt & Medusa post-Infinity
launching a new book without Black Bolt on the team
introducing all those Nuhumans and concentrating on them over the originals
mistakenly thinking they could carry two books

All dumb decisions. Should have just been one series starring and concentrating on all the originals. Given the lack of Fantastic Four, the book should have basically been a replacement for that with a more cosmic side of things rather than what it has been (Uncanny Inhumans started like this then fizzled out). I've said this before, but would have loved to see how different those books would be if Fraction hadn't left Marvel before the relaunch even started.

Still think most of the anger towards them comes from paranoid X-Men fans.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Who should write a America Ongoing?
And yeah, the guy who is writting that rip-off character book is not a option, since he obiviously wont come back.

mreddie

Who should write a America Ongoing?
And yeah, the guy who is writting that rip-off character book is not a option, since he obiviously wont come back.

The latter didn't intend her as a lesbian to begin with.

I was gonna say Bennett but Alonso's dicking around chased her out and Gillen is about to get busy with Star Wars.

Liu?
Viaggio?
Thompson?

And has Marvel's getting YA authors move backfired now?

Dark Days outsold Empire, what will the spin be this time?

Has any of the Cap books been in the top 10 or 20 since the launch issues? Feels like being the main books in Secret Empire hasn't helped sales at all.

Messi, I'm switching to a Big Barda avatar due to Kirby month but has Sejic done any other Barda pieces other than the sex one and the shopping one?

VanWinkle

I'm very curious about how Batman Rebirth Deluxe will handle the Monster Men crossover. Will it just skip the issues? Will it include just the Batman issues (which would make you either have to skip them or wait for the Nightwing and Detective deluxes to read them), or will it include all the issues?

The solicits say it will include Rebirth #1 and 1-15, which would make it just the Batman Monster Men issues. But I can never trust DC solicits, and it would almost make more sense to just not include the Monster Men stuff at all.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
IST haul got here today!
ZCQORcU.jpg

My backlog is getting big 'cus I'm watching a bunch of shows recently rather than reading.

Messi

Has any of the Cap books been in the top 10 or 20 since the launch issues? Feels like being the main books in Secret Empire hasn't helped sales at all.

Messi, I'm switching to a Big Barda avatar due to Kirby month but has Sejic done any other Barda pieces other than the sex one and the shopping one?

I don't believe so

Top Bottom