• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

I don't believe so

Went with this instead~

Edit: God, I love Jimenez:
dhnprztxcaakl3gt5l5y.jpg

Me too. Part of me wonders if it's the old guard who love Wally over Barry.
I absolutely, truly believe that Barry is the core problem. He is a fundamentally boring character. A relic of the Silver-Age whose defining traits are "superhero" and "goes fast." That's simply not enough for a wide array of reasons that boil down to him existing and DC's narrative since the original Flash Rebirth storyline forcing him into relevance.

VanWinkle

I absolutely, truly believe that Barry is the core problem. He is a fundamentally boring character. A relic of the Silver-Age whose defining traits are "superhero" and "goes fast." That's simply not enough for a wide array of reasons that boil down to him existing and DC's narrative since the original Flash Rebirth storyline forcing him into relevance.

If I may ask - and I say this as a big fan of Wally - what do you think specifically makes Wally a less boring character than Barry?

Sandfox

The latter didn't intend her as a lesbian to begin with.

I was gonna say Bennett but Alonso's dicking around chased her out and Gillen is about to get busy with Star Wars.

Liu?
Viaggio?
Thompson?

And has Marvel's getting YA authors move backfired now?
I wouldn't say that just because of America. Going after YA authors is a good thing.

I'm not a fan of the changes made to the Flash family since Barry came back.

VanWinkle

Just got the Fantastic Four by Fraction Omnibus. Been very reluctant to get it despite the FF being my favorite Marvel team, considering that most people say half the run is mediocre. But the price (~$27) was at a point where I was willing to get it and at least enjoy the FF by Fraction/Allred portion.

And with that, my Marvel Now-era shelf fills out even more. I'm still needing to pick up X-Men Legion Omnibus, Uncanny X-Men Vol 2, Original Sin, and maybe Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet. But yeah, when I get those I should have about 90%+ of their Now-era OHC stuff. And I have enjoyed everything I've read so far (except Hawkeye by Lemire, which I stopped a few issues in).

j489B8w.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I thought they retconned that out a few issues later so that Ben Franklin never slept with Clea and that it was all an illusion in Doctor Strange's head?

in that case thats not so amazing

Got Punisher MAX Complete Vol.6 and the Simonson Orion omni in the mail today. They both look great. Punisher MAX is the smallest of the Complete Collections so far, for sure. If they're going into Aaron's run next, then the Punisher Complete Collections might rival the Deadpool volumes in terms of number of books.

Messi

What's the mystical mumbo jumbo in Monstress? The monster? Cat magic?

Yes. My friend and I imitate how we think Galactic would say that all the time.

All of it?

Loved the first issue and it completely lost me when they got to the forrest so I dropped it.

Messi

Was it the mystical stuff you weren't into? I know it wasn't the art that lost you.

It was partly the art (sometimes you can see where corners are cut but it's not a big deal) and partly feeling nothing for any of the cast. I didn't feel invested so I moved on.

Aizo

Banned
All of it?

Loved the first issue and it completely lost me when they got to the forrest so I dropped it.
Huh. I think it's quite good. I would say give it another shot, but you seem disinterested. I really like that it's got a cast of mostly non-white humanoids, and many strong female characters. And the world building is quite interesting.

Sandfox

Okay, who's to blame for multiple Mahvoo titles below 20K?
If fans are interested in the bigger titles they will be more likely to check out the other stuff. There are fans who currently aren't happy for various reasons so they aren't checking things out.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Huh. I think it's quite good. I would say give it another shot, but you seem disinterested. I really like that it's got a cast of mostly non-white humanoids, and many strong female characters. And the world building is quite interesting.

I'll say this. There was a bit of a hangover for me too for the next couple of issues after that amazing triple sized first issue. There really wasn't anything wrong with those issues IMO. It was just hard to go back to standard sized issue at first.

But if Messi isn't a fan that's cool. He has plenty of other good shit to read in its place.

The biggest disappointment from July's sales numbers for me is that Wayward's sales have dipped below 5K. Not good :(

Malyse

Wayward is a good book but it's like Monstress in the "fuck trying to follow this story month to month, I'm waiting on the fucking trade".

Sana Takeda is my favorite comic artist. I like Gurihiru's whimsy, but Takeda makes my heart weep in joy. Liu and Takeda is such a powerhouse combo.

Top Bottom