• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

ElNarez

Banned
So you know how the Milestone revival was supposed to happen, but then kinda didn't? Well this might be why: DWAYNE MCDUFFIE's Widow Sues MILESTONE MEDIA Over Being 'Cut Out' Of Revival

Milestone Media is being sued by Charlotte McDuffie, the widow of the late co-founder Dwayne McDuffie. According to Los Angeles county court filings obtained by Variety, the widow is suing the company and its officers for "Breach of Fiduciary Duty," "Aiding and Abetting Breach of Fiduciary Duty," "Intentional Interference with Prospective Economic Relations," "Fraudulent Conveyance," "Civil Conspiracy To Commit Fraudulent Conveyance," and "Accounting."

McDuffie passed away as a result of complications from heart surgery in 2011 at the age of 49. In 2015, Hudlin joined Milestone Media to sprearhead a revival of the company - and announced a partnership with DC Entertainment soon after. According to Hudlin, the idea for Milestone's revival came out of a conversation which occurred during McDuffie's wake.

According to McDuffie's suit, the deceased owned a 50% stake in Milestone Media with co-founder Derek Dingle owning the other half. Court documents say that Dingle, Hudlin, and and co-founder Denys Cowan founded a new company - Milestone Media Company LLC - and began using the original Milestone Media's intellectual properties.

"The individual defendants here - Reginald Hudlin, Denys Cowan, and Derek Dingle - have engaged in reprehensible conduct following Dwayne McDuffie's untimely death," reads the lawsuit. "The beneficiaries of McDuffie's estate are his wife, Charlotte, and his 78-year-old mother, Edna. Hudlin, Cowan, and Dingle have literally stolen from McDuffie's widow and elderly mother, while pretending to downplay their theft as just 'two years of legal paperwork.'"

Aizo

Banned
Do you read Manga? I bought Monster Masume vol 1 and Interviews with Monster Girls vol 1
DGLuSf_VYAQkAua.jpg

DGLuSVIU0AAsGhH.jpg
I do.

I've never read that, but I have friends who like it. I mostly read stuff published in the magazine Harta and then a bunch of random stuff by manga authors I like.
For you, I might recommend My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness. If you're okay reading something dark, which I think you are, Berserk is one of the best series of all time. I believe it was added to CMX recently. It's the manga in the first picture piled up on the left... I kinda like it, as you can see.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I saw My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness the other day at Barnes and Noble, I was surprised to see it 'cus it felt like something super niche that might have not been translated to English.

VanWinkle

Isn't that hardcover? That looks like the one. Either way, how does the paper feel?
Also, did you take this photo? Tell me more about that CD collection in the back.

There are a few editions:

-Original paperbacks that were printed in two volumes
-New paperback that has the same material as the deluxe edition hardcover
-Deluxe Edition hardcover with bigger page size than a standard-size hardcover or paperback
-Absolute Edition hardcover with premium glossy paper, much larger page size than standard-size hardcover/paperback and even the deluxe edition hardcover, a sewn binding, and comes with a quality slipcase for the book to go into

The Absolute is definitely the most premium way to go, but the Deluxe has more material (the New Frontier special one-shot that came out a few years after the main story did).

Aizo

Banned
I saw My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness the other day at Barnes and Noble, I was surprised to see it 'cus it felt like something super niche that might have not been translated to English.
It was very popular here, so as niche as it seems, it actually became a bit mainstream. It's just not very often that something more akin to a graphic novel succeeds here, especially written by an unknown. Most manga is serialized in magazines, so the stuff that goes straight to a finished volume is easy to miss due to little fanfare.
There are a few editions:

-Original paperbacks that were printed in two volumes
-New paperback that has the same material as the deluxe edition hardcover
-Deluxe Edition hardcover with bigger page size than a standard-size hardcover or paperback
-Absolute Edition hardcover with premium glossy paper, much larger page size than standard-size hardcover/paperback and even the deluxe edition hardcover, and sewn binding
Holy shit that absolute is amazing. I noticed the binding in the photo the Captain posted. I hope that's the one on Japanese Amazon's listing, but I have a feeling it isn't :(
Edit: 26,000 yen new in Japan. F that...

VanWinkle

Holy shit that absolute is amazing. I noticed the binding in the photo the Captain posted. I hope that's the one on Japanese Amazon's listing, but I have a feeling it isn't :(

Yeah. It's my favorite story, so I would love to get the Absolute eventually. It's long out of print, though. Goes for high prices.

But I love my deluxe edition, too. If it just had a sewn binding, it would be perfect to me.

I do.

I've never read that, but I have friends who like it. I mostly read stuff published in the magazine Harta and then a bunch of random stuff by manga authors I like.
For you, I might recommend My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness. If you're okay reading something dark, which I think you are, Berserk is one of the best series of all time. I believe it was added to CMX recently. It's the manga in the first picture piled up on the left... I kinda like it, as you can see.

I see Emma amd I see Bride's Story. But there should be more volumes on that shelf! Why aren't there!? Also Messi would love the shit out of both of those series. Kaoru Mori da GOAT.

mreddie

Today on MAHVOO WHAT HAPPEN?

Marvel Comics and The Deck Chairs of the Titanic

It seems to me that all the talk of a new direction with “Marvel Legacy” is actually yielding very little change at all – in fact, most of the comics that are going to the same comic they were going to be before this rebranding effort was pitched. Sure, there might be certain storylines that have been pushed back or forward as a result, but there’s not the level of wholesale change that the audience appears to be demanding.

Right now “fancy” covers are trying to cover a multitude of underlying problems with the actual core product. This is not the first time such a thing has been tried, and I wish I can remember who it was, but I remember talking to a retailer who told me they had built a literal chair out of the leftover copies of “Adventures of Superman #500” they had; with similar stories about just how many unsold and unsalable copies of “Turok” #1 were left over. Those who don’t know their history are doomed to repeat it, and while I’m hopefully we’ve wised up as a class to not fall down that same rabbit hole again, when I see Marvel’s August plans, added to DC’s August books with foil covers (three), Lenticulars (two) and even a glow-in-the-dark cover I think “Damn, we’re there again, where greed and glitz has overwhelmed common sense”

That time of the crash and the few years after it was dire for comics, and this time is likely to be significantly worse, as we don’t have a core of books selling at 100k or more to keep things propped up.

I think it will be great for them if Marvel sells a bunch of dollars of comics in October thanks to manipulative processes designed to get the greedy moving – but it won’t mean a damn thing if come January “Iron Man” is back to selling under 40k again because speculator bait never ever has led to stable long-term growing sales.

Until Marvel is willing to think about the long-term steps needed to right their ship they’re going to remain in danger of collapsing the entire market; and there is literally nothing they’ve shown us from “Marvel Legacy” so far that doesn’t literally feel like rearranging the deck chair on the Titanic.

Aizo

Banned
I see Emma amd I see Bride's Story. But there should be more volumes on that shelf! Why aren't there!? Also Messi would love the shit out of both of those series. Kaoru Mori da GOAT.
I have read all the Bride's Story volumes I don't own, but due to my limited space, I haven't bought more manga recently. I need to finish some series and sell them/give them to someone before I buy more. Kaoru Mori is really amazing. She's published in Harta, which is a big reason I started buying that magazine monthly.

Sandfox

What about all the people saying they will start reading again when the "real" heroes come back?

Legacy is supposed to be a "stopgap" so we'll see what they have to show when they actually relaunch. They obviously have their work cut out for them though because a lot of people aren't happy with the way things currently are and Legacy is at least starting off without much changing in the ongoings.

Einchy

While I love Lady Thor to pieces, it must be pretty weird to be a person who watched the movies, wanted to maybe try out the comics, and finds that Tony, Thor, Cap and Hulk don't even have their own runs, at least not with the original heroes. Getting into comics is kinda daunting but now you're also asking them to read a comic with people you've never heard of.

If y'all were wondering whats going on with the Milestone relaunch here you go - http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/dwayne-mcduffie-reginald-hudlin-milestone-media-1202512743/amp/

The former partners are trying to rip off McDuffie's estate.

This is so fucked up. Just makes me sad

While I love Lady Thor to pieces, it must be pretty weird to be a person who watched the movies, wanted to maybe try out the comics, and finds that Tony, Thor, Cap and Hulk don't even have their own runs, at least not with the original heroes. Getting into comics is kinda daunting but now you're also asking them to read a comic with people you've never heard of.

Most movie fans don't read the comics though

I'm glad that they don't really go out of their way and disrupt stories to make it easy for them, honestly. They never show up.

Sandfox

That's one of the bigger complaints from fans and retailers. The Marvel new release shelf in stores is pretty much unrecognizable for a lot of people. Now we're going to get coexistence and we'll see how people feel about that.

Einchy

Most movie fans don't read the comics though

I'm honestly glad that they don't really go out of their way and disrupt stories to make it easy for them, honestly. They never show up.

But isn't the goal to try and get new people reading? And like Sandfox said, the fans don't like it either, so at that point, who are they doing it for?

But isn't the goal to try and get new people reading? And like Sandfox said, the fans don't like it either, so at that point, who are they doing it for?

I feel like the issue with active readers finding the line too unrecognizable is a separate thing...and Marvel is responding to it right now. I'm not sure what else they can do...especially since some fans - like myself - love the new characters. If they're retiring it needs to be handled slowly. That is what they're doing.

Is the goal of big 2 comics really to bring in new readers, though? I feel like it never has been, and that there is a trade-off in bringing in new people vs satisfying current readers with a woven, intricate story that feels fresh compared to what we've already read. But specifically regarding movie watchers who don't read comics, I think back to the way movies like X-Men or Spider-Man 2 impacted those lines and I don't really see it as a positive for anyone. I'd prefer it to be as separate as possible.

They almost always release at least one movie tie-in series, and I feel like that is enough for people who just want a little taste. If you want in the pool you gotta jump. Them's the rules.

Hibbs probably has the right of it.
Let’s take those more or less in order, starting with “the real” Marvel characters. Now I, for one, find this particular complaint pretty drastically overblown: despite the new consensus of the internet, I would argue to you that characters like Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and “original Thor” are actually really uninteresting characters who have, largely, outstayed their welcome – there’s a reason that these characters keep getting replaced with new versions again and again and again: unless you’re exclusively mining nostalgia, it’s hard to keep these characters fresh and relevant at all. Watch and see: after they come back, some creator will be trying to replace them again within five years. It happens every time.

If anything, I think Marvel’s actual mistake was having all of those characters off-stage at the same time – you look around the “Marvel Universe” and you recognize almost none of the characters… well, that’s jarring. But it isn’t true that the OG versions are inherently fascinating enough to freeze them in amber, in my considered opinon.

While I agree completely with this, I must add that several of these characters are well-positioned for some cool stories at least within the timeframe of their immediate return. Odinson in particular has all manner of shit to work out. Long-term of course they will eventually be out of style again because that is what always happens

I'm intrigued but not enough to buy it. Spoil me please?

Okay so. AVENGERS #10 FULL ISSUE SPOILERS BELOW

It turns out the planetary shield requires a lot of substations to help keep it powered. The Hydra Avengers are dispatched to find out why one of them has gone off-line. Octavius gives an assessment of the crew, including calling Black Ant a waste of pym particles, doing nothing but shrinking and attacking when he could be so much more powerful, basically.

They split up into smaller groups; Octavius is narrating, but most of the issue actually follows Taskmaster. Tasky and Black Ant are talking, and Black Ant mentions how he thinks Octavius is trying to get them all killed. Task replies that it's important to trust him as team leader, even if they don't like him, because they're a team. This is relevant because 'trust' is going to come up a lot here.

They suddenly get ambushed by a huge, tentacled alien. Taskmaster distracts it while Black Ant dives inside to explode it from the inside out, but it turns out it's too tough inside and Ant starts to suffocate. Taskmaster risks himself saving him by jumping on top of the monster and cutting it apart with his sword and shield.

As the other Avengers get attacked by more of the aliens, Taskmaster gets slammed into the wall by one of their tentacles. It begins speaking telepathically to him, pleading for him to stop. It claims that they're part of an enlightened alien race who sought Earth to see if it was worthy of their gifts, and got trapped by the shield from returning home. It says they only want to destroy the shield so they can go home to their loved ones, and it promises Taskmaster if the Avengers help them, they will be given 'incredible power to do good for mankind; but ONLY good'.

Taskmaster's the only one who hears it, and the others ask what it said. After a moment of hesitation, Task replies: "...It said they're here to cleanse the planet, and won't stop until we're extinct. Avengers Assemble!"

The Hydra Avengers butcher the rest of the aliens and head back to their ship, with Black Ant complaining he lost a pym particle container in the chaos before mentioning that Octavius led them well. Octavius thanks him for trusting him while one of his robotic arms slips the stolen container into his mask.

It's really interesting because it's not made clear if the aliens were lying to Taskmaster or not, if they were just making something up out of desperation (they did attack first) or were sincere, or if there'd be a catch. Similarly, it's unclear why Taskmaster lied about what they said; whether he simply didn't trust them, didn't care, didn't want to do 'good and only good', or he simply didn't trust the other Hydra Avengers with the power (pointing out the irony of the conversation earlier).

It's really well done, leaving us with a ton of questions about both the aliens and Taskmaster's morality.

When does that thing with the evil Batmen start? Hopefully this will live up to the potential that the Victim Syndicate didn't quite manage.

Sandfox

I agree with his overall point, but it feels like he's ignoring/downplaying how people feel about those characters by saying that they are uninteresting and have overstayed their welcome.

Okay so. AVENGERS #10 FULL ISSUE SPOILERS BELOW

It turns out the planetary shield requires a lot of substations to help keep it powered. The Hydra Avengers are dispatched to find out why one of them has gone off-line. Octavius gives an assessment of the crew, including calling Black Ant a waste of pym particles, doing nothing but shrinking and attacking when he could be so much more powerful, basically.

They split up into smaller groups; Octavius is narrating, but most of the issue actually follows Taskmaster. Tasky and Black Ant are talking, and Black Ant mentions how he thinks Octavius is trying to get them all killed. Task replies that it's important to trust him as team leader, even if they don't like him, because they're a team. This is relevant because 'trust' is going to come up a lot here.

They suddenly get ambushed by a huge, tentacled alien. Taskmaster distracts it while Black Ant dives inside to explode it from the inside out, but it turns out it's too tough inside and Ant starts to suffocate. Taskmaster risks himself saving him by jumping on top of the monster and cutting it apart with his sword and shield.

As the other Avengers get attacked by more of the aliens, Taskmaster gets slammed into the wall by one of their tentacles. It begins speaking telepathically to him, pleading for him to stop. It claims that they're part of an enlightened alien race who sought Earth to see if it was worthy of their gifts, and got trapped by the shield from returning home. It says they only want to destroy the shield so they can go home to their loved ones, and it promises Taskmaster if the Avengers help them, they will be given 'incredible power to do good for mankind; but ONLY good'.

Taskmaster's the only one who hears it, and the others ask what it said. After a moment of hesitation, Task replies: "...It said they're here to cleanse the planet, and won't stop until we're extinct. Avengers Assemble!"

The Hydra Avengers butcher the rest of the aliens and head back to their ship, with Black Ant complaining he lost a pym particle container in the chaos before mentioning that Octavius led them well. Octavius thanks him for trusting him while one of his robotic arms slips the stolen container into his mask.

It's really interesting because it's not made clear if the aliens were lying to Taskmaster or not, if they were just making something up out of desperation (they did attack first) or were sincere, or if there'd be a catch. Similarly, it's unclear why Taskmaster lied about what they said; whether he simply didn't trust them, didn't care, didn't want to do 'good and only good', or he simply didn't trust the other Hydra Avengers with the power (pointing out the irony of the conversation earlier).

It's really well done, leaving us with a ton of questions about both the aliens and Taskmaster's morality.

That's more interesting than I expected.

Zackat

So if I want to read Spider-Gwen am I missing anything by skipping all her appearnces prior to Spider-Gwen #1 or nah?

Metal starts in two weeks, but we won't see the evil Batmen until issue 3, I think.

Do you mean the Sean Gordon Murphy thing? That starts October.

But Metal also has bad Batmen

Yeah, I dont think it's the Murphy one. These guys:

So if I want to read Spider-Gwen am I missing anything by skipping all her appearnces prior to Spider-Gwen #1 or nah?

Love your avatar. Best waifu.

You can start with Spider-Gwen #1. The stuff that came before was rather mediocre.

finished the first volume of Mother Panic. was really digging it until Shawn Crystal came on. Biggest discrepancy between an artist and their follow up since Khoi Pham did a fill in after Paolo Rivera on Daredevil

Sandfox

Mark Waid has written a good Avengers story with only one number of the current team?
Who's the co writer?

Seriously, I feel the Whitley issues saved those two issues.

#10 doesn't have any co-writers. imo Waid's problem with the current Avengers book is that the lineup is made up of characters he doesn't have a good feel for. I liked his Kooky Quartet story.

Zackat

Jodariel is the best. I have been looking for a cellphone wallpaper of her but no dice yet.

Thanks I will start at #1

#10 doesn't have any co-writers. imo Waid's problem with the current Avengers book is that the lineup is made up of characters he doesn't have a good feel for. I liked his Kooky Quartet story.

I agree.

Waid's problem is A) he didn't have a strong hold on the younger kids and B) he kept getting sidelined by current crossovers, instead of Hickman's run where he dictated crossovers.

Einchy

Aizo, do they ever sell larger formats for mangas? There's a shit ton of mangas I wish I had but something about the size makes it less cool for me to collect than comics.

Aizo

Banned
If y'all were wondering whats going on with the Milestone relaunch here you go - http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/dwayne-mcduffie-reginald-hudlin-milestone-media-1202512743/amp/

The former partners are trying to rip off McDuffie's estate.
That really sucks. I want Static. They're being disrespectful to McDuffie's memory.
Aizo, do they ever sell larger formats for mangas? There's a shit ton of mangas I wish I had but something about the size makes it less cool for me to collect than comics.
Typically, only popular series get re-released as what is called kanzenban (complete edition) which are slightly larger and have any pages that were originally colored in color.
Example:
img_1_m

Otherwise, series that are not serialized and go straight to tankoubon (Japanese equivalent to trades) that are typically larger than usual.
One on the left was not serialized.

Thanks Durrzerker, man that's pretty nuts

I agree with his overall point, but it feels like he's ignoring/downplaying how people feel about those characters by saying that they are uninteresting and have overstayed their welcome.

That's more interesting than I expected.

Mark Waid has written a good Avengers story with only one number of the current team?
Who's the co writer?

Seriously, I feel the Whitley issues saved those two issues.

Yeah as a Tasky fan I love the issue because of how ambiguous it is.

The art is also great.

Avengers 10 panel.

Zackat

I bought a chromebook plus and it is pretty amazing for reading comics. Just fold it over and go in tablet mode. 2400x1600 resolution, looks great.

Top Bottom