• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Is it all of Gillen's run?

Yep.

Edit: More on the Marvel firings:
Are the departures over at Marvel? I'm told there is a big struggle going on internally there, although it's the kind of ”smoke from the mountain top" thing where the details are hard to see from peon level. Word on the street type speculation is that at this time next year either E-i-c Axel Alonso or svp Sales and Marketing David Gabriel will have a new Linked In profile. But that could also be wishful thinking. I'll say this, when both appeared on stage together at the Marvel presentation at the Diamond Lunch at SDCC, it was a very rare and special moment.

Mindwipe

It was bad. Here's my problem: it doesn't mesh. They're these villains that are on the run, but for a conceivably dumb reason: Kobik picked them, and only because Bucky was nice and the rest were....there? On top of that, the book is clearly going for a 90's feel with the character designs and bright colors and over the top action, but the action isn't interesting and Bucky doesn't work within the team as a design. You have characters like Atlas and Moonstone, who are technicolor dreamcoats, and then Bucky who's just wearing all black with a metal arm and a couple of pistols. Nothing about the book stands out at all. It was basically a random side story used to sideline characters until their relevant storyline (Zemo rebuilding the Masters of Evil and Cap getting ahold of the Cosmic Cube again) tied back in with the Secret Empire build up. I read three issues, and the only reason I stuck around for the third is because the Inhumans were going to be in it, presumably beating the shit out of Bucky's squad.

This is true, but I think we're glossing over the bit where the execution is just risible shit. The art is... well, me tier, and I can't draw for shit.

Malyse

It always sounds like her universe is way more interesting than the book itself.
They should do something with this. Any character that would be worth of getting a own book?
I'd rather they Dectective/Action comics the line and give us takes on various characters in the world. Everyone is equally interesting, though I would argue the stand out aside from Gwen is Matt Murdock the kingpin and leader of the Hand.

Today we find out Batman is narrating a story to someone who was actually present during it...

Imagine if this was how Zero Year was narrated.

We've known that since it was announced. Catwoman's design was one of the first we got.

We knew she was in the story but in the issue we find out she was literally in Gotham and well aware of the situation. It just makes the whole angle of how this story is being told even more frustrating and annoying. I guess she's learning the victims actual names and that Batman is behind on everything, so I guess that's new.

ElNarez

Banned
I mean by her own admission she was busy doing her own thing, so, she probably doesn't know much of the story outside of her. Plus the point is to get to the payoff of that incredibly shitty thing that Batman did to end it all, which probably no one knows about except for him, the Riddler and whatever Joker was out there back then. It's a twice monthly book and y'all still find ways to be impatient, I swear.

Also somehow that thing is shittier than nearly beating Deadshot to death because you're sad and angry. WHICH IS ALREADY PRETTY SHITTY.

Speaking of, woof, Black Bolt #4. It's the special special stuff. Twists the knife well and good. Christian Ward is too fucking good at this and I'm okay with not getting more Ody-C for a while if that's what we have instead.

I mean by her own admission she was busy doing her own thing, so, she probably doesn't know much of the story outside of her. Plus the point is to get to the payoff of that incredibly shitty thing that Batman did to end it all, which probably no one knows about except for him, the Riddler and whatever Joker was out there back then. It's a twice monthly book and y'all still find ways to be impatient, I swear.

Also somehow that thing is shittier than nearly beating Deadshot to death because you're sad and angry. WHICH IS ALREADY PRETTY SHITTY.

Speaking of, woof, Black Bolt #4. It's the special special stuff. Twists the knife well and good. Christian Ward is too fucking good at this and I'm okay with not getting more Ody-C for a while if that's what we have instead.

That thing he does I'm pretty sure is just siding with Joker and I think it's pretty badly telegraphed.

I'm more impatient that we're 4 issues into a war and I'm even more confused on what it's about. I thought it was sparked by some disagreement on wanting to kill Batman, but this issue makes it seem like both want him? But they're too busy fighting each other to go after him? We also have no real idea of why it escalated and why these villains chose to side with either side. Im Moreno interested in how Riddler got a bunch of bad guys to recite a fun riddle for him. Waller should take notes.

I think this is just a shit arc with really bad story telling. It's all big moments and splash pages with no real story. We have two sides with a lot of people dying with the promise of some big thing Batman did. But hey we got a Kite man origin.

I had a dumb idea of doing parody retellings of issues on YouTube but never found the time. The whol Tec arc of Victim Syndicate seemed ripe for parody. Like taking the panels and deleting the text bubbles and doing voiceovers instead. Thought it'd be real dumb but fun.

Fury451

Banned
There is..

ComicsExplained
Comicstorian
Caped Joel
Professor Thorgi

I'll check those out.

I like ComicPOP for their Back Issues series- it's basically listening to one person explain a major event and two others giving thoughts or asking questions. I don't always find it the most interesting format, but when they've discussed things like Onslaught I found a pretty entertaining for background noise. I don't recall them ever trashing diversity or women at all.

Having read most of ultimate spiderman previously and then starting to read Miles man in the collected editions up to Spider-Men its pretty gutting to think ultimate universe aunt may, gwen and mj would have been killed off in the end of the incursions. I almost feel more attached to some of the everyday characters in that universe than some of the big avengers who were lets to honest jerks a lot of the time.

Having read most of ultimate spiderman previously and then starting to read Miles man in the collected editions up to Spider-Men its pretty gutting to think ultimate universe aunt may, gwen and mj would have been killed off in the end of the incursions. I almost feel more attached to some of the everyday characters in that universe than some of the big avengers who were lets to honest jerks a lot of the time.

Getting rid of the Ultimate Universe was a poor choice. It wasn't harming anyone.

Aizo

Banned
This week I got
Giant Days #29
Batman #28
Superman #28
Mother Panic #9
Shade the Changing Girl #11
East of West #34

The amount of DC I've roped myself into... it frightens me.

Getting rid of the Ultimate Universe was a poor choice. It wasn't harming anyone.

I don't know, I like how the death of the ultimate universe gave some real stakes and lasting effects to Hickmans avengers run, but still miss a lot of the characters from that universe. I wouldn't be suprised if they bring back the full universe at some point though and try and get out of it, comics gonna comics. I mean they've already brought over some characters already where it suits them.

It wasn't selling either. Jeph Loeb ruined it.

Yeah I've never seen a bigger assassination of a comic title than Loeb did with Ultimates volume 3 into Ultimatum. It really was awful, it was so bad it went all the way from bad to so bad its good back to bad again.

Didn't help was followed up with Mark Millars Ultimate Avengers which was pretty bad. Hickman tried to save things near the end but by then the damage was done.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The James Bond series is confusing. The main series ran for 12 issues, then was "reset" as James Bond: Black Box which is now the main series and not the spinoff?

Glix

Ask my family and they'll tell you I was a Navajo.

Ask the Army Air Force and they'll say I was an American.

But if you ask my brothers, they'll set you straight.

John Cloud was a LOSER

RIP Darwyn Cooke. Just sitting here reading the oversized New Frontier again. What an incredible talent the world lost.

The the ultimate universe will always be Bendis/Bagley USM, Millar/Kubert UXM, and Millar/Hitch Ultimates. All three of those runs were mindbogglingly good.

That last page of USM #1 is one of my favorite moments in comics, ever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I fucking love Cooke but have never read New Frontier, that's something I gotta fix one of these days. I'm not too big on the whole DC universe, I'm mostly a Bat Family guy, but I'm sure a comic done by Cooke will be amazingly regardless of what it's about.

Glix

As a massive Bachalo fan I recently picked up the first two Dr. Strange trade volumes.

I adore the way this book is written. Its really great. Did it get a lot of critical love when the issues were coming out?

Dalek

I fucking love Cooke but have never read New Frontier, that's something I gotta fix one of these days. I'm not too big on the whole DC universe, I'm mostly a Bat Family guy, but I'm sure a comic done by Cooke will be amazingly regardless of what it's about.

I read it for the first time recently and was blown away. For sure one of the best books I've ever read.

Glix

Its probably my favorite comic work EVER, and I've always been more of a Marvel guy than DC.

There is an absolute edition now in softcover at a normal size and price, which is a great thing as it was only available in two volumes for the longest time.

The oversized, slipcased edition is amazing tho. And I usually hate oversize but in this case it makes Cooke's art even MORE incredible, if that is possible.

EDIT - Just want to add that while, as already stated, New Frontier is amazing, Issue #1 is ultra incredible awesome amazing.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
DGOkWqtXoAE3G6F.jpg

East of West #34
Elsewhere #1
Extremity #6
Injection #14
Seven to Eternity #8
The Walking Dead #170
Tomboy #12

Pretty big week by my standards. Love that Extremity cover.

Fix that now or I will find out where you live and show up John Cusack Style.

Glix

East of West #34
Elsewhere #1
Extremity #6
Injection #14
Seven to Eternity #8
The Walking Dead #170
Tomboy #12

As someone who only buys the trades its brutal when a new issue of East of West comes out.

Aizo

Banned
East of West #34
Elsewhere #1
Extremity #6
Injection #14
Seven to Eternity #8
The Walking Dead #170
Tomboy #12

Do you have something that is automatically making collages or did you put that together real quick?
I've wanted an easy way to visually represent the comics I'm reading.

Messi

As a massive Bachalo fan I recently picked up the first two Dr. Strange trade volumes.

I adore the way this book is written. Its really great. Did it get a lot of critical love when the issues were coming out?

No. It was called a rehash of Aaron's God butcher run on Thor.

No but they should just make the comics just like the MCU. That would be better somehow.

I agree totally. Granted, you can still write an interesting story or two, but they're getting rarer and rarer and eventually aren't going to last.

Agreed. And now consider all the massive status quo changes and that book is about to get hit hard.

It was bad. Here's my problem: it doesn't mesh. They're these villains that are on the run, but for a conceivably dumb reason: Kobik picked them, and only because Bucky was nice and the rest were....there? On top of that, the book is clearly going for a 90's feel with the character designs and bright colors and over the top action, but the action isn't interesting and Bucky doesn't work within the team as a design. You have characters like Atlas and Moonstone, who are technicolor dreamcoats, and then Bucky who's just wearing all black with a metal arm and a couple of pistols. Nothing about the book stands out at all. It was basically a random side story used to sideline characters until their relevant storyline (Zemo rebuilding the Masters of Evil and Cap getting ahold of the Cosmic Cube again) tied back in with the Secret Empire build up. I read three issues, and the only reason I stuck around for the third is because the Inhumans were going to be in it, presumably beating the shit out of Bucky's squad.

Fantastic Four and X-Men.

No Nightwing or Batgirl. Batwoman has also never been his sidekick.

I was thinking about them at first, but I thought F4 and X-Men don't patrol. Isn't F4 government operated and they fight in space?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Do you have something that is automatically making collages or did you put that together real quick?
I've wanted an easy way to visually represent the comics I'm reading.

I pull the covers off of Previews website and then throw them together using Fotor Collage Maker. It only takes about 5 minutes or so.

East of West #34
Elsewhere #1
Extremity #6
Injection #14
Seven to Eternity #8
The Walking Dead #170
Tomboy #12

Was kind of disappointed in Elsewhere. Kind of just bland, but interesting enough to give another shot. Extremity stays great though!

Top Bottom