• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
For the user that recommended me The Backstagers. I'm absolutely in love. Thank you!

The LGBTQ representation is so beyond lovely and respectful, it's just... so human.

Now the important question. Who's your favorite boy?

kwUVuGp.jpg

Finished up Cave Carson last night, that opening arc was amazing. I really really liked that. It just hits a perfect mix of trippy and weird, pulpy, creepy and unnerving. Totally unfamiliar with Jon Rivera but he writes the book perfectly, there is the odd awkward panel here and there with Oeming but by and large Oeming was the perfect pick alongside Filardi on colours, just a real success. I know I'm super late on these books, but these YA books have been above and beyond what my hopes were for them. Glad to join y'all who have been reading them monthly in the sun :D

Patrick Zircher:

Interview with the new Punisher creative team.

Nrama: The big shocker of all of this is Frank Castle in the War Machine armor. Guiu, how are you drawing it?

Guiu Vilanova: Isn't it! It's mad! Probably one of the most dangerous man in the whole Marvel universe and now he has the War Machine armor! This's going to be really fun! And about War Machine's armor, well. I'm going to focus on trying to make it looks more expressive and dynamic. I also added some pretty cool gadgets to the armor and I'm going to try to have fun drawing it!

Nrama: Frank Castle with the War Machine armor - seems like he'd be a kid in a candy story. How did this unique pairing come about?

Rosenberg: Kid in a candy store is right. Or maybe giant monster that eats candy in a candy store. In a way, this is Frank in his idealized form. It's one of those crazy ideas that everyone recoils from at first and then they let it sink in and it makes people ask "Why didn't this happen sooner?". It just makes logical sense that Frank would want the armor.

As for where the idea came from, my editor Jake Thomas brought it to me. It took me a second to really get it. I love War Machine and Rhodey. I love him as a character and what he stands for. In a lot of ways, he is this optimistic view of what our government and our military stand for. Like Cap, he is the best of us going above and beyond to keep all of us safe and free. And obviously, he is much more than that too.

But none of that is what Frank is.

Frank is the inverted nightmare version of that. He is all the anger and hatred and vengeance that is built into our society, personified. The Punisher brings up a lot of uncomfortable questions about who we are as a society and what we are willing to let happen and what we'd like to see done. So, putting Frank in Rhodey's armor felt so wrong to me at first. It felt almost blasphemous. It wasn't until I realized this wasn't a superhero story anymore that I got it. This isn't a celebration of the Punisher taking on the mantle of War Machine and becoming a hero. This is a look into how easily War Machine can become overshadowed by the Punisher when it falls into the wrong hands.

The variant covers got more marketing than all the new/recycled teams combined.

didn't like the idea of Frank as War Machine but Rosenberg is someone I trust to do interesting work with the idea

Cloonan is off? I feel bad for her, I really like her on Southern Cross and want to see her get more writing gigs but I just totally blanked the series because the art never looked exciting to me. Couldn't get behind it at all.

Messi

Finished up Cave Carson last night, that opening arc was amazing. I really really liked that. It just hits a perfect mix of trippy and weird, pulpy, creepy and unnerving. Totally unfamiliar with Jon Rivera but he writes the book perfectly, there is the odd awkward panel here and there with Oeming but by and large Oeming was the perfect pick alongside Filardi on colours, just a real success. I know I'm super late on these books, but these YA books have been above and beyond what my hopes were for them. Glad to join y'all who have been reading them monthly in the sun :D

About that...

mreddie

Cloonan is off? I feel bad for her, I really like her on Southern Cross and want to see her get more writing gigs but I just totally blanked the series because the art never looked exciting to me. Couldn't get behind it at all.

The arc now I heard got better but then again, it's not an arc, just Frank farting around .

I think Cloonan is doing a novel hence why she's out.

Vic_Viper

Just got the Uncanny X-Force complete collection trade in the mail and holy crap at the gutter loss in some of these pages! Theres a 2 page spread with Fantomex in the middle and his entire head and body are completely swallowed by the gutter. You cant even seem them if you spread the book completely open lol. Is the Omnibus like that?

Ryan Higgins of the Comic Conspiracy just had to block a couple of the assholes that harassed female Marvel employees. They didn't like that he requires a credit card to make a pull list. lol

These dudes pirate more than they buy comics. They really don't support the industry.

Sandfox

Rosenberg Punisher is going to be good. I like how he's writing Punisher getting the armor as a wrong and blasphemous thing. I usually don't read Punisher, but may pick up the book for the creative team.

Ryan Higgins of the Comic Conspiracy just had to block a couple of the assholes that harassed female Marvel employees. They didn't like that he requires a credit card to make a pull list. lol

These dudes pirate more than they buy comics. They really don't support the industry.
What happened is that Big Bang started tweeting on picking up pull lists and then one of the guys who goes on YouTube complaining about "SJW Marvel" and some of his buddies started crapping on them and pushed all the blame to retailers with terrible logic and Marvel for pushing diverse books.

Sandfox

Not really. These people want women sexualised, not heard and subservient.

It's pretty clear what that dude is implying.

Carol's new costume is better in every way.
It's that,her costume, and her hair when people make those kind of comments.

Top Bottom