• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Hasbro suing DC over Bumblebee, oh lord.

Hasbro own the trademark, it's an open and shut case. DC will just have to package any future toys as "DC Comics' Bumblebee" much like how some Marvel Legends have "Marvel's Rogue", "Marvel's Phoenix", etc or how Hasbro themselves have "Autobot Jazz", "Autobot Ratchet", etc.

Hasbro are like hawks on this after they lost so many trademarks on G1 Transformers characters after the decline of the original toy line.

mreddie

Hasbro own the trademark, it's an open and shut case. DC will just have to package any future toys as "DC Comics' Bumblebee" much like how some Marvel Legends have "Marvel's Rogue", "Marvel's Phoenix", etc or how Hasbro themselves have "Autobot Jazz", "Autobot Ratchet", etc.

Hasbro are like hawks on this after they lost so many trademarks on G1 Transformers characters after the decline of the original toy line.

Yeah, a thread is up I made and copyright laws might do DC in.

I do think that it's because it's Bumblebee specifically that's a major issue. Bee is now one of the premier Transformers characters. He's the main character in the current cartoon, the only other Autobot other than Murderface Prime who has been in all the films and still has a prominent role in the comics
despite, at least for awhile, having the problem of being dead and existing only in Starscream's imagination.

If this was Powerglide or something they probably wouldn't care as much. They wanted a Bumblebee in the Unicron Trilogy as well way back when but couldn't get the trademark. They ended up going with Hot Shot (otherwise known as "the one who says jAaM in that meme comic") instead.

Wanderer5

Ha ha, cute nod to the Steph Batgirl run in Li'l Gotham with her and Klarion making a cameo here.

lil-gotham-steph-cropped.jpg

I think this is a bit of a bargain.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/230834-2000ad-the-ultimate-collection-issue-1-slaine-the-horned-god/

£1.89 for a hardback Slaine: The Horned God.

I was going to pick that for podcast book club but I wasn't sure how US readers would be able to get it.

I picked it up in the newsagents here. I went in on the Dredd collection but there's no way I can commit to another one of these. I have too many of these collections as it is and it took all my will not to sub to the Transformers or Star Trek ones.

kmfdmpig

I'm not arguing, but genuinely curious. Does the fact that DC's Bumblebee predate the Transformers by about 8 years not matter in this case. Is it just a matter of who secures the trademark rights?

Nevermind - I saw that there was a whole thread about it.

I read the first volume of Alias. I liked it a lot, just thought the Malcolm character was annoying. Speaking of him I didn't realize he was a totally different character in this. He was a teenage white boy who was pretty weird. They kept him barging into her office in the show, but he is definitely better in the Netflix show. This little boy did nothing for me and Jessica needs to tell someone to get his ass.

It's funny I was reading it in Krysten Ritter's voice and I can see what you got beef with Carol for. I only saw a little bit of her in Ms. Marvel and she was just okay, but she was acting like a butt in this. Also when they were having lunch I was reading Carol's lines in Trish's voice. Her personality seemed more like hers in that scene. Oh my gosh at Luke in this. I don't like his haircut, but lol at the part where she comes to his apartment late at night.

"Damn woman, I'll hook up with you later." Jessica is put out as his sidechick.

I just finished volume 2 too and it's damn good. Like people just mentioned it in passing, but no one told me how good this shit is, like damn! I don't like Luke in this comic. That second conversation with them was weird. I also thought Luke doesn't cuss. He was throwing out fucks like me.

kmfdmpig

To see if I'm missing anything what rebirth book would you recommend

Top-tier (IMO):
Detective Comics
Superman
Green Arrow
New-Superman
Deathstroke

Second tier, but still good:
Green Lanterns
Hal Jordan and the GLC
Aquaman (if you like the character)
Batman
Nightwing
Wonder Woman
Titans
Teen Titans
Red Hood and the Outlaws

I'm a few months behind, so I don't know about Super Sons, Batwoman or JLA. The rest I'd avoid unless you're a particular fan of the characters or creators.

I'm not arguing, but genuinely curious. Does the fact that DC's Bumblebee predate the Transformers by about 8 years not matter in this case. Is it just a matter of who secures the trademark rights?

Nevermind - I saw that there was a whole thread about it.

It doesn't matter, it's more which one is more well known. Which I would definitely argue is the Transformer, who's been a main character in multiple incarnations for over 30 years as opposed to the DC hero who's been in a few episodes of Teen Titans and Young Justice.

This is on DC more than anything, they should have registered their opposition to the trademark back when they had the chance. This happened with Hasbro and Marvel over the new ROM comics, where they ended up splitting the name "Dire Wraith" when Marvel opposed a trademark registration and Hasbro totally reworked much of the backstory as a result.

If you want to keep your trademarks, you have to defend them. I mean, let's not even get into the shit fest that is the term "superhero" being a CO OWNED registered trademark of Marvel and DC.

A good example of this, funnily enough, is the Avengers. In the UK and Ireland the first film was known as Marvel Avengers Assemble to avoid being confused with the 60s tv series, whereas in the US there is a comic called Steed & Ms. Peel because a comic already called Avengers exists.

Messi

I read the first volume of Alias. I liked it a lot, just thought the Malcolm character was annoying. Speaking of him I didn't realize he was a totally different character in this. He was a teenage white boy who was pretty weird. They kept him barging into her office in the show, but he is definitely better in the Netflix show. This little boy did nothing for me and Jessica needs to tell someone to get his ass.

It's funny I was reading it in Krysten Ritter's voice and I can see what you got beef with Carol for. I only saw a little bit of her in Ms. Marvel and she was just okay, but she was acting like a butt in this. Also when they were having lunch I was reading Carol's lines in Trish's voice. Her personality seemed more like hers in that scene. Oh my gosh at Luke in this. I don't like his haircut, but lol at the part where she comes to his apartment late at night.

"Damn woman, I'll hook up with you later." Jessica is put out as his sidechick.

I just finished volume 2 too and it's damn good. Like people just mentioned it in passing, but no one told me how good this shit is, like damn! I don't like Luke in this comic. That second conversation with them was weird. I also thought Luke doesn't cuss. He was throwing out fucks like me.

The new Jessica Jones series is still fantastic. Don't sleep on that.

caliph95

Yup but
Jessica making her piss in a cup in public in the most recent issue had me like :/. Super awkward.
I mean can you blame her
with Hill and her terminators plus she had her revenge by possibly shooting in her head in an obvious fake out cliffhanger

Oni Press's answer to Shirtless Bear-Fighter.

Been done before. And better.

Kiwami time as soon as I beat the final two trials in FFXIITZA~

I gotta start that tonight. Looking forward to a Yakuza game that just focuses on one character. 0 was a bit overwhelming. Just when I started to make some good progress with one character, the story made me switch to another.

Maybe now Humphries can stop getting shit for Our Love Is Real.

Not likely. He outed himself as a dog-fucker with that one.

Just finished Mister maricle #1 and I don't know how I feel about it yet. When i first started I really didn't care for it, but as it went on I started to see that something wasn't right.

I liked it, but it didn't really feel like a Mister Miracle comic.

Hasbro suing DC over Bumblebee, oh lord.

Maybe people would care if Hasbro wasn't the shittiest toymaker on Earth. Next to Funko, I mean.

VanWinkle

My order of Batman Rebirth Deluxe and New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 1 have been picked and scanned on IST. Hope they ship it by the end of the day. I sprung for FedEx shipping so I could hopefully get it before the end of this week.

Can someone help me with the people in that panel too? I know that Mister Bones, Father Time, Waller and maybe General Lane.
I have Waller, Director Bones, Father Time, and I'm at a loss for everyone else.

Unless the chair guy is Maxwell Lord. WHICH WOULD MAKE THIS TASK FORCE XI AND THAT'S KINDA DOPE.
It could be Rick Flag.

caliph95

Been done before. And better.

Not likely. He outed himself as a dog-fucker with that one.

I liked it, but it didn't really feel like a Mister Miracle comic.

1. T rec are the sexiest and thickest of the dinosaurs

2. Did Humphries make a bestiality

3. It does feel like a King book

Sandfox

1. T rec are the sexiest and thickest of the dinosaurs

2. Did Humphries make a bestiality

3. It does feel like a King book
I think there are people attracted to plants as well in the book. The book is about a guy who is sexually attracted to a dog and played straight though.

Top Bottom