• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafro

If I guess it based on what I've seen, do I get a cookie? Because I think I might have already guessed it in last month's thread as a joke.
It's out on Comixology now, just read it. I called that months ago after seeing one of the solicitations for a future issue. This might just keep me reading this series.

I can't remember what the spoiler rules are in this thread, is it okay to post what happened in spoiler tags?

Garryk

It's out on Comixology now, just read it. I called that months ago after seeing one of the solicitations for a future issue. This might just keep me reading this series.

I can't remember what the spoiler rules are in this thread, is it okay to post what happened in spoiler tags?

I wouldn't do it today. Someone will tardclick it and bitch about it.

Spike, are you going to be doing a UXM standalone thread?

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
Basedon on current thread guidelines, so long as you spoiler tag it I think you're okay. HOWEVER, if people think there should be an embargo on posting plot-specific spoilers until a certain time of day, please let's discuss it.

I wouldn't do it today. Someone will tardclick it and bitch about it.

Spike, are you going to be doing a UXM standalone thread?
I can't get to the shop until Friday.

Mafro

Okay. Uncanny X-Men #1 SPOILERS
Issue starts with Maria Hill, Nick Fury Jr. and Coulson in a SHIELD bunker. Someone important showed up requesting to speak to Hill, he's kept in a cell and his face is never shown. He gives Hill intel about the fact that new mutants are popping up everywhere and how there's a revolution coming led by Cyclops, and how he can no longer properly control his powers. It cuts to Cyclops, Magneto, Magik and the rest of the team in San Diego saving a mutant then fighting off a Sentinel attack, and it's shown that Magneto's powers have been weakened quite a bit.

It then cuts back to the conversation in the SHIELD bunker. The visitor talks about how if Cyclops is killed he'd become a martyr, and that instead he should be revealed as a broken man due to the AvX event. The visitor is revealed to be Magneto (who is now bald). He's angry at Cyclops for killing Xavier who he shared a dream with, and for ruining his powers with the Phoenix Force. He calls him a "murdering monster" and wants to aid SHIELD in exposing him and have him "self-destruct in public".

This has really got me interested in the series, but knowing Bendis it wouldn't surprise me if it's just a plan that Cyclops is in on or something.

Owzers

Is Batman #17 worth buying digitally to make sure it's not spoiled for me before it arrives in my monthly dcbs shipment?

arkon

I think spoiler tags are fine, as long as it's clearly labelled what series and issue number you're talking about. Maybe we can do what they do in the manga thread and have the title in question bolded and placed above the relevant spoiler tags.

e.g.

Saga #8

spoiler text here.

ElNarez

Banned
Holy fuck Secret Avengers #1 was duuuuuuumb. Maybe not Fear Itself tie-in dumb, but so fucking dumb. You guys. Motherfucking Suicide Squad was less dumb than this, and, yo, all things considered, Suicide Squad is pretty fucking dumb, but in a good way.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Batman was terrible. Join Slott in the sewers of shitty gimmick writing, Snyder!

Not even sure of the point in Uncanny X-Men yet. All the new characters are pretty terrible Bendis-ites "AM I DOING WHAT I THINK I'M DOING OH MANG" and hoping silly twists means for good comic.

Scarlet Spider is going weird. I really don't want it to go weird.

COMICS. It feels like we are having a falling out again. Havent got to WatXM yet but I hope its good.

Owzers

Caved in and spent $4 on Batman #17 digitally despite having the combo pack on order. Xo.

Good issue i guess, i'm not on board though.
Not having a face has got to hurt, right? Anywho, this whole arc was terrible in the sense that it existed only to have the joker and sell other batbooks. There was little to no plot here, there was no death ( though i like what a poster on the last page said about it being the figurative death of the "family" as a family and not someone in the family), and it's entirely forgettable outside of the imagery of a person wearing their own face as a mask. So what, the batfamily is moping? Yes, batpeople moping is new. Batpeople are never glum. I'll reread the arc again but i'm not a fan through the first reading on a monthly basis.

ElNarez

Banned
Batman was terrible. Join Slott in the sewers of shitty gimmick writing, Snyder!

Please elaborate, what the fuck are you on about, what the fuck were you expecting and what kind of drugs are you on that makes you have so terrible opinions ? Same goes for all of y'all saying those things about Batman #17. You gotta give a bit more than that. Start this slapfight RIGHT.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh thank god WatXM was really good! As was Avengers Assemble. You're okay, Comics. We cool.

Please elaborate, what the fuck are you on about, what the fuck were you expecting and what kind of drugs are you on that makes you have so terrible opinions ? Same goes for all of y'all saying those things about Batman #17. You gotta give a bit more than that. Start this slapfight RIGHT.

We'll give the rest of ComicGAF a day to go unspoiled, but Bruce just sort of casually doing THE STUPIDEST THING IN BATMAN HISTORY is pretty up there. Story just lead nowhere but
fakeouts
and now the Bat-family are all a bit emo.

Super spoilers:
Joker is prepared to mutilate horses, stitch people together and their internal organs to keep them alive as a living mural, but even with Bat-family in his helpess captivity he couldnt carve their faces off -- because he's a big softie? He could however create perfect clinical copies of them, because Joker is a genius scientist now. Oh and also no explanation of why he cut his fucking face off anyway, no discernable body from good ol classic FALL DEATH ???, and all for a good ol' Xanatos "they'll be grumpy with you!!!" gambit, etc

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay. Uncanny X-Men #1 SPOILERS
Issue starts with Maria Hill, Nick Fury Jr. and Coulson in a SHIELD bunker. Someone important showed up requesting to speak to Hill, he's kept in a cell and his face is never shown. He gives Hill intel about the fact that new mutants are popping up everywhere and how there's a revolution coming led by Cyclops, and how he can no longer properly control his powers. It cuts to Cyclops, Magneto, Magik and the rest of the team in San Diego saving a mutant then fighting off a Sentinel attack, and it's shown that Magneto's powers have been weakened quite a bit.

It then cuts back to the conversation in the SHIELD bunker. The visitor talks about how if Cyclops is killed he'd become a martyr, and that instead he should be revealed as a broken man due to the AvX event. The visitor is revealed to be Magneto (who is now bald). He's angry at Cyclops for killing Xavier who he shared a dream with, and for ruining his powers with the Phoenix Force. He calls him a "murdering monster" and wants to aid SHIELD in exposing him and have him "self-destruct in public".

This has really got me interested in the series, but knowing Bendis it wouldn't surprise me if it's just a plan that Cyclops is in on or something.

:/

Lease, please, please DC pull a Vibe and take Noccenti off Katana ASAP. She is a fucking awful writer filled with awkward dialogue. You can't keep ruining great characters with shitty creative teams. " As the elders say, my shame is deep. As the kids say, epic fail" actual line from Katan issue one.

Dysun

Batman #17
Underwhelming finale, I guess there was too much hype.
There is literally no payoff besides the emo "death of the family" not gonna answer your phone calls ending. Snyder's Detective Comics Pre New 52 work is still his best Batman stuff to date. This isn't the big memorable Joker story they hyped it up as.

Uncanny X-Men #1
Seemed very obvious to me it was Magneto talking to SHIELD when he pulled that chip out of his mouth.

ElNarez

Banned
We'll give the rest of ComicGAF a day to go unspoiled, but Bruce just sort of casually doing THE STUPIDEST THING IN BATMAN HISTORY is pretty up there. Story just lead nowhere but
fakeouts
and now the Bat-family are all a bit emo.

Super spoilers:
Joker is prepared to mutilate horses, stitch people together and their internal organs to keep them alive as a living mural, but even with Bat-family in his helpess captivity he couldnt carve their faces off -- because he's a big softie? He could however create perfect clinical copies of them, because Joker is a genius scientist now. Oh and no discernable body from good ol classic FALL DEATH ???, Xanatos "they'll be grumpy with you!!!" gambit, etc

You sir, are fucking cray-cray. I think one of the things Snyder has been very skillful with in his handling of the Joker is getting his modus operandi. He doesn't do things just to do things. There's always a bigger picture at play, and that's comedy. It's dark comedy for sure, but everything Joker's ever done, even the Classic Joker some people have been yearning for in this thread, is in the service of Jokes. Getting that is, I think, the key to understand what Snyder did in DOTF. It's all a colossal joke, with the aim being to get a great big laugh at that big dummy Bat, who can't stop the Joker despite being so big and scary. It's a neverending dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. Absolutely ridiculous.

So, to answer your question : The Joker did not do that thing because it wasn't funny. Pulling the rug from under Bats or you is his thing, and he did both in Batman #17.

Lease, please, please DC pull a Vibe and take Noccenti off Katana ASAP. She is a fucking awful writer filled with awkward dialogue. You can't keep ruining great characters with shitty creative teams. " As the elders say, my shame is deep. As the kids say, epic fail" actual line from Katan issue one.

THAT, however, that's a quality post. Rafa, I dub thee the voice of reason of Comic-GAF.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Uncanny 1
what a load of crap. Boring talky talky the entire issue, dumb/obvious Magneto reveal, salmon-colored art, everybody has thumb faces. I haven't been disappointed by an issue of ANXM yet but this was a boring start to Uncanny

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You sir, are fucking cray-cray. I think one of the things Snyder has been very skillful with in his handling of the Joker is getting his modus operandi. He doesn't do things just to do things. There's always a bigger picture at play, and that's comedy. It's dark comedy for sure, but everything Joker's ever done, even the Classic Joker some people have been yearning for in this thread, is in the service of Jokes. Getting that is, I think, the key to understand what Snyder did in DOTF. It's all a colossal joke, with the aim being to get a great big laugh at that big dummy Bat, who can't stop the Joker despite being so big and scary. It's a neverending dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. Absolutely ridiculous.

So, to answer your question : The Joker did not do that thing because it wasn't funny. Pulling the rug from under Bats or you is his thing, and he did both in Batman #17.

You sir hit the nail on the head with this post. You can also add in that it was a joke on us as well as Batman. It was classic Joker, it felt like a darker Batman: TAS episode.

8bit

Knows the Score
v2LTylc.png

You sir, are fucking cray-cray. [.....]

Spoilered, just in case.
Basically this. Like the majority of this thread and apparently most of the internet, I was underwhelmed and outraged by the conclusion (or more like the lack of it, amirite?) but after I slept on it and read through the issue again, I'm now ok with it and, dare I even say, I actually like the issue. I like this proverbial death of the bat-family more than actual deaths of characters - at least, now we're most likely safe from retcons and resurrections :D

Synder's "Batman for Dummies" rolls on. Maybe the least interesting, least funny version of the Joker I've ever seen. Cliche, anticlimactic, CONSTANT explanations about every single little fuckin' thing that goes on in the Joker's head. It's absolute GARBAGE.

At least WATXM had another good issue today. It's a reset issue, a jumping-on point, re-establishing all the sub-plots and character motivations. Setting up all the dominos that could go in some interesting places. Also, they fight dinosaurs!

Vio-Lence

Banned
Synder's "Batman for Dummies" rolls on. Maybe the least interesting, least funny version of the Joker I've ever seen. Cliche, anticlimactic, CONSTANT explanations about every single little fuckin' thing that goes on in the Joker's head. It's absolute GARBAGE.

can we at least start rightfully calling it Capullo's Batman? he's been killing it for the entire run and is the only reason to pick up the title to be honest.

JJD

Uncanny X-Men:

I liked it, but I knew
it was Mags before I turned the last page. So obvious. Still I prefer him like this than the obedient, subservient Magneto.

I hope Bendis don't try to paint Cyclops as a hero. Right now he's much more fit to be a revolutionary.

Revolutionaries are sometimes heroic figures, that have to do villainous things. That's much more interesting.

THis DC/Orson Card thing is getting crazy.
“As content creators we steadfastly support freedom of expression, however the personal views of individuals associated with DC Comics are just that — personal views — and not those of the company itself.”"

JJD

Spoilered, just in case.
Basically this. Like the majority of this thread and apparently most of the internet, I was underwhelmed and outraged by the conclusion (or more like the lack of it, amirite?) but after I slept on it and read through the issue again, I'm now ok with it and, dare I even say, I actually like the issue. I like this proverbial death of the bat-family more than actual deaths of characters - at least, now we're most likely safe from retcons and resurrections :D

My issue with it is that I don't even see a reason for the
death of the bat family. They all have been put in similar situations before.

Besides Snyder and DC were hyping that this story would push Batman over the edge and it certainly didn't seem so. He seemed fine physically and mentally by the end of issue 17.

THis DC/Orson Card thing is getting crazy.

WHAT???

WHAT????????

So that thing isn't a joke made by someone on the internet? That is actually a book DC is going to publish????

That shit is unacceptable. That shit is promoting hate and prejudice. How come we don't have a separate thread to discuss that?

Imagine is another racist fuckwit (besides Orson Card) made the same comic but instead saying that the world was doomed because of black people!!!

8bit

Knows the Score
Anyone read this? The trade comes out this week or next, seems interesting. I'm a sucker for this kind of vibe.

Also, Ann Nocenti suuuuuuuucks.

Oh man, new Rian Hughes? Is it a written piece or just a cover with what looks Dan Dare on it?

Also, any rumours about his namtaB work?

Acid08

Banned
Oh man, new Rian Hughes? Is it a written piece or just a cover with what looks Dan Dare on it?

Also, any rumours about his namtaB work?
It's a collection of weird single stories. I know nothing else about it, saw that Image posted about it on facebook with this week's releases.

akira28

I should be glad that I totally guessed the reveal from Batman 17, but I'm not. I'll still buy it next week and read it. But dag. Hype really is the enemy.

This weeks pickups:

Cable and X-Force #4: Goddamn, the art in this book sucks. Story is alright, but it's just not fun to read when everything looks like mud. Unless Larocca is off next arc, I'm dropping. C

Avengers Arena #4: Holy shiiiiiiiit. THE RUNAWAYS! This series is so damn good. I can't believe the drama surrounding it when it was announced and it turned out to be miles ahead of Avengers Academy.
RIP Reptil? Was he dead or not? I want Hazmat dead so bad. I fuckin hate her.
A+

Ultimate X-Men #22: Another great series with unfortunate art. Story is still going quite slowly, but I love the direction it's taking. I'm glad the Ultimate books are no longer just retellings of old X-Men stories. B

X-Treme X-Men #10: Surprisingly decent issue. The series has come a long way since Dazzler's embarrassing singing every damn issue. B+

Wolverine & The X-Men: I'd say it's back to form, but it's been back since a while now. A

AND THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK

UNCANNY X-MEN #1: Holy shit. Bachalo is so good.
Predictable issue, honestly, but still pretty exciting. I'm glad they revealed Mags as the traitor immediately.
A+++++++++++++

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WHAT???

WHAT????????

So that thing isn't a joke made by someone on the internet? That is actually a book DC is going to publish????

That shit is unacceptable. That shit is promoting hate and prejudice. How come we don't have a separate thread to discuss that?

Imagine is another racist fuckwit (besides Orson Card) made the same comic but instead saying that the world was doomed because of black people!!!

That page isn't real.

Still, Orson Scott Card is a fairly awful person, and I know I have no interest in giving him money.

JJD

That page isn't real.

Still, Orson Scott Card is a fairly awful person, and I know I have no interest in giving him money.

Oh OK...

That makes more sense. For a minute there I thought DC editorial had gone completely insane, instead of just partially. I don't like him, and I won't buy his stuff but I have no problem with DC giving him work.

Just don't push your homophobe agenda on us Orson.

My issue with it is that I don't even see a reason for the
death of the bat family. They all have been put in similar situations before.

Besides Snyder and DC were hyping that this story would push Batman over the edge and it certainly didn't seem so. He seemed fine physically and mentally by the end of issue 17.

I think it like this: the biggest gripe the bat-family would have in this whole arc was the revelation, that Joker could have once gotten to the batcave and thus have access to Batman's information, like they speculated in issue 15. There you see Bruce's stubborness to even listen to them, instead replying each of their questions and accusations with stuff like "Naw dog, it's not like that. You don't understand him, he doesn't work like that. Trust me bro I got this" and in that issue it also seemed that Bruce had intended to keep it a secret. When you read the tie-in stories of each member of the bat-family, it's kinda hard not to see the causality in action, when you think of the stuff that Joker put them through. Actually, wasn't Bruce's stubborness and tendencies to work alone, letting everyone else work on a need-to-know-basis the reason for the whole fallout, that came after the War Games-arc?

I will pay Ann Noccentis page rate so she doesn't work in this beautiful industry again. God you don't duck over a character like that that is going to be a part of a huge show and having an action figure releasing later this year. Does she speak English? Does she run all of your scripts through Bablefish a couple times before sub,it ting them. Did she learn to speak from going to comic conventions? This broad....please DC....I know you're listening.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom