• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

What do you think about the Sherlock Frankenstein spin off news Maq?

I didn't look closely at it yet so I don't know who the creative team is, but I'm sure I'll give it a try. How could I not given how much I adore Black Hammer? But I am not confident I'll love a spin off nearly as much. One of the things I love so much about the series is the dialogue. Hard to imagine the words in this world be as well written under someone else.

I didn't look closely at it yet so I don't know who the creative team is, but I'm sure I'll give it a try. How could I not given how much I adore Black Hammer? But I am not confident I'll love a spin off nearly as much. One of the things I love so much about the series is the dialogue. Hard to imagine the words in this world be as well written under someone else.

Haha well good news! For this first mini at least it's Lemire with David Rubin, who has done some of the regular series, so it's not too much of a creative shake-up. They did bill it as the first of a series of spin-off though it'll be interesting how far Lemire makes it without giving up the reins and whether it's popular enough to get that far.

I can't really vouch for it since I haven't read it yet lol but John Arcudi's recent mini Dead Inside will be in the sale. Holding out for the trade over here but its Arcudi, he rarely misses so maybe another one worth folks time.

kmfdmpig

Ennis doing Punisher seems boring for some reason now.

His Born take on Punisher was fairly different from the other Punisher runs he did. I'm curious to see where this one falls in terms of tone. I've been a fan of his more serious war stories in the last few years (War Stories, Battlefields, Enemy Ace, etc...).

What do you think about the Sherlock Frankenstein spin off news Maq?

Problem with not reading it month to month is I have no idea who that is! Excited to hear about it though.

Punisher mini by Ennis.

I'm more interested in the minis being announced than most Legacy books.

YES! I thought this had disappeared! Goran Parlov is GOAT.

His Born take on Punisher was fairly different from the other Punisher runs he did. I'm curious to see where this one falls in terms of tone. I've been a fan of his more serious war stories in the last few years (War Stories, Battlefields, Enemy Ace, etc...).

It'll probs be like My War Gone By.

Haha well good news! For this first mini at least it's Lemire with David Rubin, who has done some of the regular series, so it's not too much of a creative shake-up. They did bill it as the first of a series of spin-off though it'll be interesting how far Lemire makes it without giving up the reins and whether it's popular enough to get that far.

Omg! Now I'm super excited! And even if he does hand some titles over eventually, I might be fine with it. I threw a fit when I learned that the Lazarus X+66 stuff would involve creators other than the OG crew. And now I'm super excited for that series. Change. It's hard.

Does Lemire own the rights to BH? Or does it belong to DH?

kmfdmpig

Problem with not reading it month to month is I have no idea who that is! Excited to hear about it though.

YES! I thought this had disappeared! Gorran Parvol is GOAT.

It'll probs be like My War Gone By.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize that it was the same artist. While I prefer more grounded Ennis War stories the Fury minis were great, so I can't wait.

Haha I am actually in the exact same boat! Us it doesn't help how slow they've been with the trades :(

Omg! Now I'm super excited! And even if he does hand some titles over eventually, I might be fine with it. I threw a fit when I learned that the Lazarus X+66 stuff would involve creators other than the OG crew. And now I'm super excited for that series. Change. It's hard.

Does Lemire own the rights to BH? Or does it belong to DH?

Good question! I believe yes, that's creator owned and the team will retain that through DH but DH contracts are more controlling in terms of film rights etc compared to say Image. This is my general understanding though and could be inaccurate.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I still hate the idea but I'm buying it anyway because I'm weak.

Messi

YAAAAAS Artgerms lovely Harley #1 variant is getting a statue

MTUwMDMyMTkzNA==

Also Gleasons Mera and Aqualad

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am currently buying Mackies Run on Amazing Spider-Man and I feel bad about it.
Anyway. Another 20 Issues on the great quest to be in possession of all 789 Issues of Amazing Spider-Man.

Glix

I'm a marvel guy. For decades. Went to Midtown Comics for the first time in over a year, I don't read that much anymore...

I could not find ONE marvel book that interested me enough to buy. The creative teams did nothing for me. Both blue and gold looked straight up bad. I'm not really interested in Deadpool or Old Man Logan stuff. The Cho Hulk book looks good actually. So there is one!

I ended up buying the second volume of Dr. Strange, as Bachalo is my favorite.

I also bought the first five books of the Snyder Capullo Batman run. HOLY SHIT. Fucking fantastic work.

I also bought the first volume of Mage, after liking Trinity a few years back and hearing Kevin Smith reference it for years. I read the first three issues and its not doing much for me, does it get better? Strangely though, I see why Smith would love it, it has a very "early smith movie" feel to it.

Comics have clearly peaked.

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #25

RYAN NORTH (W)

ERICA HENDERSON (A/C)

HOW-TO-DRAW VARIANT COVER BY CHIP ZDARSKY

• This is it! The climactic showdown between SQUIRREL GIRL, a woman who can talk to squirrels, and ULTRON HIMSELF, a killer robot who has ruthlessly defeated the Avengers on multiple occasions!
• And you may be thinking, “Holy crap I’M SOLD,” but let me tell you more: This entire battle takes place in the Savage Land, an area FILLED with dinosaurs!
• And NOW you may be thinking, “I’m so sold, good grief, just let me read this comic already,” but hold on some more, because there’s one more thing we need to tell you: ULTRON IS A TYRANNOSAURUS REX NOW.
• It’s Doreen Green versus DINOSAUR ROBOT ULTRON, and Kraven the Hunter is there, too!
• Kraven is not a dinosaur, though.
• Man, we really should’ve made Kraven a dinosaur, too!
• Lesson learned for next time, I guess!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Man the new Spurrier book at Image looks great. They really specifically were hyping it as an all ages thing awhile back but no mention of that since they announced it and no mention in solicits. I wonder if they reworked that.

Also remember The Family Trade looking good in the previews back at ECCC. Not too familiar with Justin Jordan though. Worth keeping an eye on?

mreddie

That Image and Marvel solicits put me too sleep.

So much edgelord or boring ass books.

Man the new Spurrier book at Image looks great. They really specifically were hyping it as an all ages thing awhile back but no mention of that since they announced it and no mention in solicits. I wonder if they reworked that.

All ages Image book...LOL.

mreddie

Haha hey one of my kid's favourite books is Super Dinosaur, and that's by Kirkman of all people! Point taken though lol, I was surprised when it was announced as an Image book for that very reason. I was expecting Boom.

That was so long ago before Dead took over and basically turned Image into DARKNESS-NO PARENTS.

Wonder why Angelic turned into a T?

how dare you

Hahah I'm just teasing man I have no ill will towards your man Tasky, I just saw the opening. That's a nice panel pick haha you have that tabbed at all times right?

That was so long ago before Dead took over and basically turned Image into DARKNESS-NO PARENTS.

Wonder why Angelic turned into a T?

Haha I went to see on his website to see if I was crazy and and the funny thing is it still says it in the descriptor that was there ages ago but he's updated it with the solicit below that's a T.

Behold ANGELIC, a new all-ages-friendly sci-fi adventure fable from Image Comics

If I had to guess there's probably little difference. It might just free him up a little in the script or landing at Image, it might be the exact same book but the team agreed a T might go over better. Who knows.

Hahah I'm just teasing man I have no ill will towards your man Tasky, I just saw the opening. That's a nice panel pick haha you have that tabbed at all times right?

Haha I went to see on his website to see if I was crazy and and the funny thing is it still says it in the descriptor that was there ages ago but he's updated it with the solicit below that's a T.

Tbh there's probably little difference. It might just free him up a little in the script or landing at Image, it might be the exact same book but the team agreed a T might go over better. Who knows.

I have a web folder split into dozens of sections that has every single panel Task's ever been in, pretty much. My obsession is probably even more unhealthy than Messi's with Harley Quinn.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My Image purchases for October.

Birthright #27
Black Magick #9
Black Science #32
Copperhead #15
Curse Words #9
Elsewhere #3
Extremity #7
Kill or Be Killed #13
Kill the Minotaur #5
Lazarus X+66 #4
Manifest Destiny #32
Paper Girls #6
Saga #48
Scales & Scoundrels #2
Shirtless Bear-Fighter #5
Spread #22
Violent Love #9
The Walking Dead #172
Wayward #24
The Wicked + The Divine #32
Youngblood #6

None of the new titles jumped out at me.

It's also nice to see something about Isola even if it's just the Image+ cover.

Is it wrong that the main reason i'm looking forward to the big SDCC CMX sales is to get "dumb" stuff that has zero chance of going on sale any other way? Popular stuff, recent stuff, etc, that'll all show up in a rotating sale sooner or later. But something like... getting all the Tangent Comics one-shots from DC from the mid 90s? That's never, eeeeeever going to show up in a rotating sale. Replacing my now-lost floppy copies of that Rossum-Irving Xombi series that was bugnuts bonkers in the best way possible? Like that's going to show up in a rotating sale anytime soon?

So yeah, I guess I'll be happy if Rebirth stuff goes on sale, or recent Marvel stuff, etc. But i'm looking forward to embracing the old and stupid.

Top Bottom