• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Eh, I don't agree with that, but I respect your viewpoint here. I recognize that privilege is a thing here, but I feel like your use of the latter example is making a lot of assumptions. Even as just a gay woman and straight woman, it feels dangerously close to creepy to me.

But I acknowledge a lot of people find the scene cute! I'm not trying to make an objective assessment of it or anything, just that it feels a little weird.

Assumptions? Nah, not really. Awareness of hate crime statistics and lived experience more like. You don't have to like the scene, but your comparisons are off.

Aizo

Banned
Oh, my. The CMX sales are almost in full-swing. Let's begin, shall we?

Order #1
The Witcher: The Fox Children
The Witcher: Curse of Crows
Black Hammer (all the issues I'm missing+annual)
House of Penance
Umbrella Academy

I added all the Hellboy to my cart just for kicks to see the price. Just doing Hellboy and BPRD would be $300 with 50% off...

frye

what makes that young avengers page acceptable is that they're pals, privilege dynamics don't play into it that much at all i don't think

like it's a shitty thing to say to a stranger regardless of the gender/sexual orientation of who's saying it or who it's being said to

Ended up getting Umbrella Academy and Black Hammer from the DH sale. I didn't want to spend a ton and I've been meaning to give UA a re-read but am too lazy to hold those giant deluxe editions.

Note that the BPRD: Plague of Frogs Vols 1,2,3 and 4 each collect 3 of the other BPRD collections, sort of like omnibuses. For example vol 1 is Hollow Earth, Soul of Venice, and Plague of Frogs, i.e. The first 3 BPRD collections. Think of them like omnibuses that are, for some reason, the exact same price as a single collection of what they are collect. At 50% off in this CMX sale they are a CRAZY good deal.

Like writing an angry letter, fill your cart then delete it all.

I do that multiple times every sale. Money isn't an issue, but I'm an overly guilty consumer. The silver lining is I avoid buyer's remorse.

Oh, my. The CMX sales are almost in full-swing. Let's begin, shall we?

The Witcher: The Fox Children
The Witcher: Curse of Crows
Black Hammer (all the issues I'm missing+annual)
House of Penance

I added all the Hellboy to my cart just for kicks to see the price. Just doing Hellboy and BPRD would be $300 with 50% off...

I'm also getting the Witcher stuff. Hope it's the same quality as the novels/game.

I'd love to own all of Hellboy/BPRD, but my friend has all the libraries and I'm going through them that way. Fantastic freaking books, but that backlog is so expensive.

Note that the BPRD: Plague of Frogs Vols 1,2,3 and 4 each collect 3 of the other BPRD collections, sort of like omnibuses. For example vol 1 is Hollow Earth, Soul of Venice, and Plague of Frogs, i.e. The first 3 BPRD collections. Think of them like omnibuses that are, for some reason, the exact same price as a single collection of what they are collect. At 50% off in this CMX sale they are a CRAZY good deal.

Those four volumes are incredible. You get volumes 1-8, 10-12, and 14 for an incredible price. Add the 1946-1948 collection trade and call it a day.

Ha, I do the same thing. I always think extra hard before hitting that Complete Order button.

Doing that right now. Send help.

Wanderer5

DC going to have a comic con sale too? I probably just check out a series or two from them (like maybe Gail Simone's Secret Six, least the pre-new 52 run).

EDIT:
Fuck it, gonna read all of New 52 Batman again. I've forgotten everything except the Court of Owls, apparently.
What's the required reading to get the new Batman stuff? Do I need Detective Comics too? (I just got the singles of Batman New 52).

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT:
Fuck it, gonna read all of New 52 Batman again. I've forgotten everything except the Court of Owls, apparently.
What's the required reading to get the new Batman stuff? Do I need Detective Comics too? (I just got the singles of Batman New 52).

Detective and Batman are usually pretty standalone outside of specific crossovers, but I know people have liked Detective since Rebirth.

If by New Batman stuff, you mean King's book, then it's more or less unrelated to Snyder's. If you mean Metal, that's all pretty unrelated to King's stuff (but may be related to All-Star, which I dropped after 2 or 3 issues, so I'm not sure about).

Aizo

Banned
I'm still so confused, and the cmx page doesn't say what's included. What is still not included from BPRD after getting those 4 volumes, then? 1946-1948, Vampire, and Being Human?
Hellboy is so fucking confusing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
1946-1948, Vampire, and Being Human?
Hellboy is so fucking confusing.

Yee.

BPRD is just BPRD, while all the year ones, vampire and being human are their own thing. Once BPRD "ends" at the end of volume 4 of Plague of Frogs, BPRD: Hell on Earth starts.

Aizo

Banned
Yee.

BPRD is just BPRD, while all the year ones, vampire and being human are their own thing. Once BPRD "ends" at the end of volume 4 of Plague of Frogs, BPRD: Hell on Earth starts.
Are Vampire and Being Human recommended for understanding? Same for the extra Hellboy standalone graphic novels..? I've only read like the beginning of Hellboy ever, but I know I'll love it because of my deep love for Horror.

Reading Dark Cybertron, and despite the "Previously" at the beginning of the trade, I'm feeling lost since I've only been reading More Than Meets the Eye.

This page though:
p14_17%2Bcopy.jpg
Was the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon any good?
I really liked it and think it's the best X-Mem cartoon out there.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Are Vampire and Being Human recommended for understanding? Same for the extra Hellboy standalone graphic novels..? I've only read like the beginning of Hellboy ever, but I know I'll love it because of my deep love for Horror.

All the year ones + vampire are connected, if you start with vampire first, you might be a little bit lost with some of the characters.

Everything else is pretty standalone, sometimes references to other comics are said in BPRD or whatnot, but it's always just small nods and not things that will leave you lost in the story.

Aizo

Banned
I could be all caught up with Hellboy and BPRD for a paltry sum of $240.
Would Donnie love me then?

Edit: I'm starting to feel fear because of what I plan to buy. The total is looking larger than I had anticipated.

Sandfox

There are always some good X-books going on imo, but it's subjective.

I'm ready for Astonishing X-Men this week. Soule is going to do some interesting things.

You know what's even better than the DH line wide sale? Waking up to everyone already doing the right thing :D enjoy some awesome comics people

EDIT: How is Baltimore?

Baltimore is cool. It's definitely much more on the level of the HB spin-offs oppose to HB & BPRD, but I don't say that as any slight. It's especially nice since it's pretty much self contained and just wrapped at 8 volumes, much easier to recommend as a place to dip in and get a vague idea of what Mignola cooks up, even if he doesn't script it himself.

I could be all caught up with Hellboy and BPRD for a paltry sum of $240.
Would Donnie love me then?

Edit: I'm starting to feel fear because of what I plan to buy. The total is looking larger than I had anticipated.

Hey, turns out my love is worth exactly $240 dollars! House Of Penance is a really great book btw the art goes places. Einchy totally covered you btw I'll totally agree, the most important thing you could do with the Mig books is stop worrying lol. The way in which the books cross over and support each other is almost always subtle and something you can enjoy both ways no matter which book you read first so just grab what you want when it comes to the 1940s + Vampire stuff or the little OGNs. It's really not a big deal lol for all the reading order lists. If ever in doubt just read the next main volume, worry about the side stuff later.

Other DH books worth checking out that I don't think were mentioned: Dept H is good, I've only made it a volume in so far so it's early, but I like it, thoughtful stuff. If you can stomach Cullen Bunn, Harrow County is genuinely one of his strongest series and the watercolour art by Crook is gorgeous. The Last Of Us little tie-in series is slight but very cute. Oh and The Amazing Screw-On Head a really incredible short stories collection from Mignola, totally unaffiliated plot-wise with his other work and just really great.

Aizo

Banned
I can't stop worrying, Donnie. It's so much stuff! What do you think I should buy, then? I could get all that Hellboy and BPRD stuff up till now for 240 or all of Hellboy for like 70 or something.

I'm super into Horror, and I'm super into comics, and I'm super into Horror comics, so I think there's little doubt that I'll end up liking it all quite a lot.

I can't stop worrying, Donnie. It's so much stuff! What do you think I should buy, then? I could get all that Hellboy and BPRD stuff up till now for 240 or all of Hellboy for like 70 or something.

I'm super into Horror, and I'm super into comics, and I'm super into Horror comics, so I think there's little doubt that I'll end up liking it all quite a lot.

Honestly, HB itself would be fine and much less of a hit. The only logic against that is that Dark Horse are apparently quite tight with their sales and these don't come along often? But if there was no sale, I would probably just say just buy HB. Read it til the end of In Hell. Did you love it? Buy BPRD PoF vol 1. Did you love it? Get 2, 3 & 4. And so on haha. Even if you are cvertain you love it, $240 is a big hit if you don't have it handy, really comes down to your disposable cash this week man!

Where have you read up to in HB so far btw?

I'm also getting the Witcher stuff. Hope it's the same quality as the novels/game.

I don't want to oversell it lol but I really like the first volume of the Tobin Witcher book, there's a clever idea behind it than really tickles me haha the second one was just fine, Geralt is fun to watch adventuring but definitely of the lower side quest variety.

Top Bottom