• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

I can agree that x-titles haven't hit the heights for quite a while, but there was still a lot to like over recent years I think - wolverine and the x-men run was up and down and got dragged into a lot of crossovers (marvel gonna marvel) but there was some fun stuff in there and then there was a lot I liked about the bendis stuff. Got some cool characters like Eva Bell and Golden balls and then I liked the dynamic switch they built up since schism where cyclops was the team member who had gone rogue on the run and wolverine was the responsible school headmaster.

I don't know what it was about the runs after that but they just didn't work for me. They managed to somehow have a lot going on and be really dull at the same time. I haven't read enough of Gold and Blue to make a full judgement but the first issues I read didn't get me too excited.

I do agree on its time for the young xmen to go back to there own time though. There was a story to be told there and I think it worked at the time so show a mirror of how far the characters have changed from there younger selves, but theyve almost become a writers crutch now and instead of focusing on any younger new mutants and younger mutants established in the school over the past few years they can do all the stories through the young time displaced xmen.

Messi

Second trade is out in October too, that's really not a bad wait time from Dark Horse if it's done in Aug.

Yeah, I'd assume that's because the book has had heavy delays in singles. Great book when it does release though.

I just finished the Whoreson quest in Witcher 3. When I went into his home

1160.gif

Aizo

Banned
Order #2
B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Vol. 1-4
B.P.R.D: 1946-1948
B.P.R.D.: Vampire
B.P.R.D.: Being Human
B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Vol. 1-15
Hellboy Vol. 4-12 (the volumes I haven't read)
Hellboy in Hell Vol. 1-2
Hellboy in Mexico
Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea
Hellboy: The Midnight Circus
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1952 #1-5
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1953 #1-5
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1954 #1-5
Hellboy Winter Special 2017
Harrow County #15-23

Messi

Order #2
Hellboy in Hell Vol. 1-2
Hellboy in Mexico

Dat Messi life. Embrace the truly crazy orders.

I wonder how DCs line wide sdcc will go. I'd love to see them discount all Rebirth issues in the released trades if not everything for a short while.

Aizo

Banned

I wonder how DCs line wide sdcc will go. I'd love to see them discount all Rebirth issues in the released trades if not everything for a short while.
If the DC sale is proper, you can dig me a grave.

Order #2
Hellboy in Hell Vol. 1-2
Hellboy in Mexico
Harrow County #15-23
Harrow County #15-23

Son of a-

*becomes skeleton and crumbles to dust*

I hope it's just a simple code to apply and not the buy 1 get 1 free deal. That makes it so much more work to pair things up. Since the best value then is trades and not all trades have the same prices

Started on Astro City: Lovers Quarrel. I honestly didn't think Busiek would pull off such a great arc for Quarrel and Crackerjack. So brilliant how every superhero trope that we take as a given in regular runs is shown to us from a slightly different angle. Like a tilt-shift photograph.

We are also slowly seeing the transition to the "next-generation" of heroes and it is being done in such a masterful way that Marvel editors should be taking notes.

Speaking of Lone Wolf and Cub, I got out bid on the full series by about 4 dollars. All 28 books could've been one for less than 60 dollars.

eBay breaks my heart. ��

Don't get the 28 volumes, they are a pain to read. Try for the newer larger volumes.

I can't stop worrying, Donnie. It's so much stuff! What do you think I should buy, then? I could get all that Hellboy and BPRD stuff up till now for 240 or all of Hellboy for like 70 or something.

I'm super into Horror, and I'm super into comics, and I'm super into Horror comics, so I think there's little doubt that I'll end up liking it all quite a lot.

Ask yourself if you will read everything before the next sale, because sales are not infrequent. What if you
don't kill me donnie
hate it?

Edit: welp, that's a big order.

Donnie, if I plan to pick up the hardcovers we talked about a while back, what books should I pick up in this sale that aren't included in the Library editions?

There's none you have to pick up! If we're talking pure Mignola Hellboy though, The Midnight Circus, Into The Silent Sea and the HB in Mexico books would round things out. I'm guess you're holding out for the In Hell Library book in that.

I mentioned to Aizo but worth noting that the House Of The Living Dead book has since been recollected inside of the Mexico collection so you can double dip there by accident.

Ask yourself if you will read everything before the next sale, because sales are not infrequent. What if you
don't kill me donnie
hate it?

Edit: welp, that's a big order.

Lmao. That is why I had said he could just do HB first if he wanted, it could happen! Fingers crossed now :p

Sandfox

That's not going to happen. At most I could see them doing a buy 1 get one free sale or putting the first trade worth of issues at $2 each.

There's none you have to pick up! If we're talking pure Mignola Hellboy though, The Midnight Circus, Into The Silent Sea and the HB in Mexico books would round things out. I'm guess you're holding out for the In Hell Library book in that.

I mentioned to Aizo but worth noting that the House Of The Living Dead book has since been recollected inside of the Mexico collection so you can double dip there by accident.

My store has the first 6 Library editions in and the In Hell one set to arrive in October~

Messi

That's not going to happen. At most I could see them doing a buy 1 get one free sale or putting the first trade worth of issues 50% off.

They have been doing the first few issues half off. When books are 25 issues in and you are only discounting the first trade for your big sale. Something is up. This should be a sale to pull in new people. Rebirth is getting to the point where it's daunting to jump in and financially quite harsh. Catching up on each bi weekly series costs $75.

A few more DH recommendations

Groo - Any of the arcs. They mostly work as stand alones and are silly fun. Great art and good slapstick comedy using Asterix type of repeated gags.

Two Brothers

The Fifth Beatle

Moebius Library - The World of Edena! For $12.50!

Action Philosophers

A bargain at any price.

I've started reading Spider-man Blur after reading Hulk Gray last week.
Jeph Loeb doesn't do comic anymore does he? It's also rekindled my love of Tim Sale. He needs more work!

Sale actually did a really awesome Gall Dennar short with Scott Allie in the HB Winter Special at the end of last year. Not sure if you'll have read that but it was pretty great for what it was!

Two other Dark Horse recommends: Eltingville Club and Beasts of Burden. They're both from the Milk-and-Cheese guy. Eltingville is a bitterly funny send-up of every comic book jerk you know, the sort of holier-than-thou geek that makes it tough to be a fan. Beasts of Burden is...hmm..."what if the BPRD were household pets and just took care of their own neighborhood?"

Two other Dark Horse recommends: Eltingville Club and Beasts of Burden. They're both from the Milk-and-Cheese guy. Eltingville is a bitterly funny send-up of every comic book jerk you know, the sort of holier-than-thou geek that makes it tough to be a fan. Beasts of Burden is...hmm..."what if the BPRD were household pets and just took care of their own neighborhood?"

I always wanted to read Beasts Of Burden, I just kind of figured it would come back at some point with more of an oomph and that would be the right time, but it hasn't materialised. Didn't they get a movie option with it as well?

Baltimore is cool. It's definitely much more on the level of the HB spin-offs oppose to HB & BPRD, but I don't say that as any slight. It's especially nice since it's pretty much self contained and just wrapped at 8 volumes, much easier to recommend as a place to dip in and get a vague idea of what Mignola cooks up, even if he doesn't script it himself.

Damn. I don't know if I want to spend another $40. I've already spent like $60 on comics this week and it ain't even Wednesday. We'll see how long it takes me to break down. I had a $140 figure get delayed to next month, so there's that.

Order #2
Hellboy in Hell Vol. 1-2
Hellboy in Mexico
Harrow County #15-23
Harrow County #15-23

Love Bunn so much, you bought Harrow County twice

Hmm:
• Speaking of David Gabriel, over at Marvel, Legacy is…slogging along with all the enthusiasm of a child who has been ordered to sit down to a seven-course spinach dinner. The roll out of the PR has been hesitant, which wasn’t helped by PR manager Joe Taraborrelli ankling the house a few weeks back for a job at Playstation. I already joked that Chris D’Lando, the also departed PR guy, did the work of two people, so Andrea Towers, the new pr person, is already doing the work of three people, and that can’t be easy.

But the distaste for Legacy goes beyond this. There isn’t even a Legacy panel at Comic-Con. There’s a Secret Empire Panel because people just can’t get enough of that, and a Marvel’s Next Big Thing panel which reads:

Get a sneak preview of what the rest of the year holds in store for your favorite Marvel heroes, as well as the upcoming Generations weekly series featuring the heroes of today teaming up with their counterparts from yesterday! Editor-in-chief Axel Alonso and editors Nick Loweand Sana Amanat will be on hand with Cullen Bunn (Generations: The Phoenix) and Margaret Stohl (Generations: The Bravest) for a look forward (and backward) toward some of Marvel’s greatest heroes..

I guess looking anywhere beyond Generations just isn’t in the cards for now, although I assume Legacy will be mentioned from time to time. Internal reports I get coming from Marvel are extremely conflicted, but the general sense is that Legacy is a stop gap event for some OTHER rejigger that is more to the taste of some internal faction. As everyone keeps saying, it doesn’t really make any sense, but there you go.

There’s a lot of concern about Marvel in the industry. A weakened Marvel means a weakened direct sales market, and that affects everyone. DC knows this and they are taking concrete steps to be successful in the new world order. Marvel…is Marvel. When there’s con gossiping to be done, I expect this to be topic A.

I prefer Gail Simone's incarnation of Bane, but Chuck Dixon is a good choice.

Dixons over the years really got a good handle on most of the characters in the batman universe, though I wouldn't go into conquest expecting the quality of the classic chuck dixon runs, that I will say for sure

I think the biggest problem with generations into legacy is I'm still not even sure what it is. I get the generations bit (but there not really announcing it as a jumping on point and its not really priced as a jumping on point). Then comes legacy with a lot of the same characters and creative teams as before legacy so whats the point really. Plus the renumbering just confuses matters, puts off new readers and surely the people who would care about renumbering are already reading anyway.

In my opinion theres still more ongoing series I'd rather read at Marvel than at DC but the direction seems all over the place.

I'm super into Horror, and I'm super into comics, and I'm super into Horror comics, so I think there's little doubt that I'll end up liking it all quite a lot.

Have you read The Outcast by Robert Kirkman? It's a horror ongoing. I quite enjoy it.

Excited that so many people are picking up Black Hammer.

Top Bottom