• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I love the Jean Grey book. Both issues are great and exactly what I wanted from a young Jean book. Ibanez is doing fantastic work on art. More than I had expected from him tbh.

Sandfox

I love the Jean Grey book. Both issues are great and exactly what I wanted from a young Jean book. Ibanez is doing fantastic work on art. More than I had expected from him tbh.
It's really good so far.

well none of us do crossfit so it's not like we can heal that wound

also he makes boring, shitty comics

e:

I mean, that's gotta count for something
He was the editor for stuff like Legacy as well.

"Jean Grey is kind of a fuck-up" is a great, great take on the character.

Malyse

It's really good so far.

He was the editor for stuff like Legacy as well.

"Jean Grey is kind of a fuck-up" is a great, great take on the character.

Young Jean is legit my second favorite character right now.

VanWinkle

About 3/4ths of the way done with Hickman's Fantastic Four run. As long as it wraps up in a semi-decent way, this is going down in my top 5 favorite runs.

Owzers

About 3/4ths of the way done with Hickman's Fantastic Four run. As long as it wraps up in a semi-decent way, this is going down in my top 5 favorite runs.

One of my favorite runs, ends strong iirc.

Sadly it was one of the last Marvel runs I loved and found worth buying an omnibus for. Superior foes of spidey was close but didn't feel like a story I needed to shelf. I did get fractions Hawkeye in ohc and still need to read the last few issues.

One of my favorite runs, ends strong iirc.

Sadly it was one of the last Marvel runs I loved and found worth buying an omnibus for. Superior foes of spidey was close but didn't feel like a story I needed to shelf. I did get fractions Hawkeye in ohc and still need to read the last few issues.

sillymonkey you need to finish Hawkeye

Easily a top Marvel run

Vic_Viper

If you havent already read his Avengers run, his FF run is continued on in it too. Crazy how he sets up stuff that pays off years later in a completely different run but still feels completely natural.

ReiGun

Quick question Comic-Gaf bros and broettes: Is there any Harley Quinn centered material that would be appropriate for a 3rd Grader? I'm looking for a gift for one of my students on Amazon but all these books look...a bit much.

VanWinkle

If you havent already read his Avengers run, his FF run is continued on in it too. Crazy how he sets up stuff that pays off years later in a completely different run but still feels completely natural.

Yeah I will definitely be reading it. I'm buying the first omnibus when it comes out in a couple of months. I think it goes up to the end of Infinity. Should end up being two volumes (HOPEFULLY the second will end in Secret Wars, but who knows).

Vic_Viper

Yeah I will definitely be reading it. I'm buying the first omnibus when it comes out in a couple of months. I think it goes up to the end of Infinity. Should end up being two volumes (HOPEFULLY the second will end in Secret Wars, but who knows).

I have a feeling that one will be selling out pretty fast lol.

So why was there a Onslaught sale on Comixology?

IrishNinja

just can't get into a young jean book yet

i feel like the people who didn't get back on amazing spidey for years after OMD, even when it had been good for a while...bendis is gonna go full cleremont one day and we're stuck with the remnants of his inability to carry team books. i don't care about the younger x-kids, and having jean as the one who "outed" bobby makes her shitty

Sadly, it should now start to lost its fire

damn, this was one of my few unread Hickman marvel things, and i'm moving along but bummed to hear this
wait are we talking just the book proper or when it went to Future Foundation?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
damn, this was one of my few unread Hickman marvel things, and i'm moving along but bummed to hear this
wait are we talking just the book proper or when it went to Future Foundation?

Cant remember. But there is one point that feels like the big culmulation of everything and after that, the book gets a bit worse. Its not bad but just good.

Nowhere, Nothing, Never
Yeah Johann that may have been a bit insensitive

Fucking Johann, what a dick

Johann is suffering

tumblr_nhyuz2DDdn1u4yxpfo1_500.gif

Usagi Yojimbo Saga v3 z(book 14) - Some nice stories in the second half of the book. Demon Mask was a great mystery. Deserters and The Missive both were great little foreshadowings. Reunion was a good lead into ... Grasscutter II! The prologue for it sets up what feels like a big long chase. Sakai clearly had fun with some of the pages in the book.

Usagi Yojimbo Saga v3 z(book 14) - Some nice stories in the second half of the book. Demon Mask was a great mystery. Deserters and The Missive both were great little foreshadowings. Reunion was a good lead into ... Grasscutter II! The prologue for it sets up what feels like a big long chase. Sakai clearly had fun with some of the pages in the book.

This is totally my "I'd love to get into this but there's so much" right now. Everything I see looks awesome, but I can already imagine the shelf space. How many books is it now, 30ish?

This is totally my "I'd love to get into this but there's so much" right now. Everything I see looks awesome, but I can already imagine the shelf space. How many books is it now, 30ish?

Sakai is a master of making sure a new reader can pickup any book and have a great read (and not by having a Green Lantern type 1/2 issue recap every issue). On the flip side, reading in order also adds a lot to the recurring characters.

Just try the fantagraphics box set. Contains the first 7 volumes at a very good price.

VanWinkle

Sadly, it should now start to lost its fire

Cant remember. But there is one point that feels like the big culmulation of everything and after that, the book gets a bit worse. Its not bad but just good.

It definitely doesn't wrap up in a semi-decent way.

The best ending to a FF run.

Well I just got to the end of the stuff he's been building towards since the beginning of his run. What an ending. I almost teared up. I don't even care if the rest of the ~14 issues kind of meanders. That was some incredible stuff.

Sakai is a master of making sure a new reader can pickup any book and have a great read (and not by having a Green Lantern type 1/2 issue recap every issue). On the flip side, reading in order also adds a lot to the recurring characters.

Just try the fantagraphics box set. Contains the first 7 volumes at a very good price.

Yea, I'll need to look into it. I didn't realise it was split across publishers either, it's at Dark Horse these days right?

Also, that shade hahah

arkon

Yeah. It's pretty easy to follow though. The publishers have done a good job collecting the stuff and keeping it in print for reasonable prices. Dark Horse's Usagi Yojimbo Saga collections work pretty much like the BPRD omnibuses so two to three trades per Saga collection. Stick the Fantagraphics boxed set in front and you're good to go. I'd recommend reading in order even though the stories work as standalones. There's no reason not to if you're starting at this point. It's really good stuff. Highly recommended.

I'd also add that the way the stories are structured and their usual length mean you can dip in and out at will. Sort of like short stories vs series of novels. It's what I've been doing trying to savour what I have.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Was reading Wytches and I see it's coming back soon, nice. Anyway I loved it, best thing I've read of Snyder besides The Black Mirror and his early Batman arcs. I've dropped that after the fifth volume. Should buy the rest of the trades but I hear the second half of his run isn't as good as the first. How is his All Star Batman?

Was reading Wytches and I see it's coming back soon, nice. Anyway I loved it, best thing I've read of Snyder besides The Black Mirror and his early Batman arcs. I've dropped that after the fifth volume. Should be the rest of the trades but I hear the second half of his run isn't as good as the first. How is his All Star Batman?

I thought the first arc was pretty average but enjoyed the second a lot more. It hasn't been close to the highs of his original Batman run or The Black Mirror though.

Wanderer5

Digital users! How large is your CMX library currently? I'm up to
I have 30 currently, 13 of which are issues of the Batgirl run with Steph, 2 freebies (America #1 and Immortal Iron First Vol 1), and 5 from Unlimited. Course much of the books in my collection are trades, and I only started using CMX last November.

I also have like 15 books on google play books that I was using earlier, which I only really use for Squirrel Girl books nowadays.

Vic_Viper

Just read the details about the guy at Phoenix Comicon and holy crap! First of all how the hell did he get in with real guns, knives, and a freaking shot gun! I know everyone that cosplays is going to have fake weapons that can look as real as possible but come on. Secondly why would anyone want to kill the White Ranger... Apparently the kid wanted to kill him so bad that "he had even gone so far as to set a phone reminder to himself to kill Frank on the 25th". You know, just in case he forgot lol.

This kid seriously needs help mentally and I hope he gets the proper representation to do so. Not that he shouldnt be in jail, but I think a mental institution would be able to help him more than prison. This is going to have serious repercussions for every event and con going forward, so If you cosplay please keep this in mind when carrying prop weapons. It would probably be a good idea to just not do it from now on to be honest. I didnt see how they were able to identify the shooter before he was able to hurt anyone, but thank god they did.

Wanderer5

Just read the details about the guy at Phoenix Comicon and holy crap! First of all how the hell did he get in with real guns, knives, and a freaking shot gun! I know everyone that cosplays is going to have fake weapons that can look as real as possible but come on. Secondly why would anyone want to kill the White Ranger... Apparently the kid wanted to kill him so bad that "he had even gone so far as to set a phone reminder to himself to kill Frank on the 25th". You know, just in case he forgot lol.

This kid seriously needs help mentally and I hope he gets the proper representation to do so. Not that he shouldnt be in jail, but I think a mental institution would be able to help him more than prison. This is going to have serious repercussions for every event and con going forward, so If you cosplay please keep this in mind when carrying prop weapons. It would probably be a good idea to just not do it from now on to be honest. I didnt see how they were able to identify the shooter before he was able to hurt anyone, but thank god they did.

This kid is 31 years old.:p

But anyway, good that he was stopped before he hurt or kill anyone. Damn he was claiming to be a real life Punisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom