• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

I vote for Tyrant if he listens to my demands

I am a man of the people, and I will try to get everyone involved.

List for this week:
Joe Golem Occult Detective #1 (dunno wtf this is)
Batman and Robin Eternal this week edition
Harley Quinn and Power Girl #5
Paper Girls #2
Vision #1

Also ordered an iPad mini since Walmart's got em on sale. I needed a tablet and it was a good price for me.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh they are making a James Bond comic?

Which Bond is it based on?
Any info on it?

Hey, this is from Ellis' newsletter thing:

JAMES BOND #1, the first episode of VARGR, is out this coming week. This is a commission via the Ian Fleming estate, and is very specifically the Bond of the books, not the films. If you're an aficionado of the books, consider this, even though it's set in contemporary times (because neither I nor the estate wanted to do period pastiche), to fall somewhere in the last half of the literary canon. This is why there are no significant changes to the Bond of the books in VARGR - the film Bond is necessarily more fluid. This is meant to be Fleming's Bond.

(As I said to, I think, GQ, the other day, I think Idris Elba is the only choice to succeed Daniel Craig in the films. Idris is a massive presence, a brilliant actor, and incredibly smart about story construction.)

This job turned out to be both incredibly hard -- I had to do a LOT of research, a lot of thinking, and a lot of reading to try and approximate Fleming's method, and ended up writing a huge long treatment to assemble the thing -- and incredibly easy, as the estate has been an absolute pleasure to work with. They even forgave me for not being able to resist a film-style cold open for the first issue. Come on. I might be writing the proper Bond, but some things are just too tempting, and I may never get another chance to do that.

Jason Masters is, of course, the other half of this book, and the other half of the Fleming method - he brings all the detail to the page, makes the world real and observed in the way Fleming did in prose. I feel a bit terrible for making him do things like Google Street View his way down the route I take into Friedrichshain from Mitte, but I can't deny the pleasure of getting him to draw the TT tower or a favourite bar.

It's a wintry book. I wanted to go to places I knew, more or less, as Fleming did. My Berlin is, perhaps, his Jamaica - a place I go to drink and think and write. And the first time I went to Berlin was in deep winter. I believe I finished my original outline in a coffee shop off Torstrasse. The front of that notebook was full of all the things I knew about Bond: his preferred breakfasts, the source of the shirts and suits he liked, the brand of cigarette he smokes when he can't get his bespoke cancer sticks.

Between this and Karnak, I'm really ready to write a nice guy again. Maybe Ben will get around to drawing that FELL script I wrote for him many years ago, so that I can write another one and have a decent human being in my head for a while. (Vivek Headland, the current lead of INJECTION, is a nice enough bloke, but eccentric and difficult, and he hurts my head sometimes.)

I picked this up yesterday.

pRxFptu.jpg

I should have spent time looking through the comics at the shop yesterday but there was to much people.

My list

Klaus 1

Unfollow 1

James Bond 1

Black Science 17
Citizen Jack 1
Lazarus 20
Monstress 1
Paper Girls 2
Rasputin 10
Velvet 12
We Stand on Guard 5

Amazing Spider-Man 3
Deadpool 1
Doctor Strange 2
Drax 1
Extraordinary X-Men 1
Hercules 1
Invincible Iron Man 3
Nova 1
Uncanny X-Men 600
Vision 1

I am already dead

Cheska

Has Sejic mentioned if we will see more Death Vigil? I absolutely loved the hell out of it. I couldn't believe how attached I became to the characters, and it may actually be my favorite thing he's done so far.

Sandman Mystery Theatre getting reprinted? Fuck yes, I have wanted physical copies of that for ages, will buy. One of my fav Vertigo series.

I'd like to do the December thread if that's okay with everyone. I may ask for some help if I do so.

I don't mind. But you have to put some anime girls on the banners.

I picked this up yesterday.

I love that statue. Although it looks a lot more like Winona Ryder than Gwen.

Has Sejic mentioned if we will see more Death Vigil? I absolutely loved the hell out of it. I couldn't believe how attached I became to the characters, and it may actually be my favorite thing he's done so far.

It depends on what trade sales look like. So probably not.
Sorry Messi

Can there ever be too many comics purchased in a month?

lol ofc not

Soon it will be Multiversity, Sandman Overture and Absolute Court of Owls.

Also debating about either Bombshell Hawkgirl or the Sandman statue.

They're all like £100 though. I'm hoping to come across some bid on eBay that's had no bids and isn't a scam....

Almost forgot, list!

Lazarus #20
Monstress #1
Paper Girls #2
Velvet #12
Doctor Strange #2
Extraordinary X-Men #1
Invincible Iron-Man #3
Uncanny X-Men #600
Vision #1

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can there ever be too many comics purchased in a month?

lol ofc not

Soon it will be Multiversity, Sandman Overture and Absolute Court of Owls.

Also debating about either Bombshell Hawkgirl or the Sandman statue.

They're all like £100 though. I'm hoping to come across some bid on eBay that's had no bids and isn't a scam....
Where do pay this fantasy prices?

Small, sensible
stingy
list.

Amazing Spider-Man #3 (Still haven't read #2 yet)
Doctor Strange #2
James Bond #1
Star Wars #11

I'm interested in Vision and Deadpool but I want to see what people think first.

Mutliversity and Sandman are booth 20 - 25£ at Amazon.

Oh, wow I completely misunderstood your question.

I meant the statues are about £100ish. Although on Amazon the Hawkgirl one is £91 but...small potatoes. Multiversity I've ordered for about £25ish and Sandman for £12 from ages ago.

Ok, I see :D

It's Hawkgirl + Comics or Comics + Fallout 4 for November...

Tbh I could always drop Multi and Sandman for this month since it's not like they'll go out of print, even in my paranoid mind, but y'know. I suppose there's always some chance I'll get Hawkgirl and not like it. Not likely though...

Nightwing Vol. 4: Second City: So we're just retelling the whole "Dick goes to Bludhaven" arc? Granted there's an extra conspiracy with the whole mask killer, but it's close to the same. The whole "Tony is back" thing was super shoehorned and not good. This book continues to exist.

Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns: Johns' run continues to please me. A lot of good action, nice pull bringing back Henshaw, and I'm very intrigued in the build ups to future crisis events. I feel like I'm gonna have to read them eventually. Still, fuck Hal.

Finally onwards to Alias. Or Hellblazer. Undecided.

Folks, have those Marvel adult colouring books been released yet, and where can one buy them?

Asking for, er, a friend. Yes, that'll do.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Time for another update in my Ultimate Universe reading adventure. Due to the World Series, I haven't had a ton of time to read comics and most of what I did have was dedicated to new comics.

Sadly after 12 issues Hickman is no longer involved in the Ultimates and has been replaced with Sam Humphries. It has not been good. The Divided We Fall/United We Stand arc had an interesting premise (setup by Hickman), but the execution was terrible.

The US falls apart after the incident with the Maker. States succeed and Sentinals takeover the Southwest. Captain America was apparently living in the wilderness until he sees what is happening on TV and decides it is time to return. We then get like 2 issues where he just flies to each battleground, punches a guy in the face and the state then rejoins the union.

While this is all happening, the US has an emergency election for a new President for reasons. Everyone is watching Captain America beat the shit out of people in California, which causes everyone to write his name in on the ballet. In the Ultimate universe, elections apparently happen within like a 2 hour window and must be through internet/text polls because the media has a live feed of who is winning. Naturally Captain America wins as a write-in candidate.

We then get a big arc with President Captain America. Why he is called that instead of President Rogers I have no idea. His idea of being President is apparently to just yell at everyone for wasting his time and it isn't his job to solve disagreements and people should do it on his own. He then flies around in a SHIELD plane to find Hydra cells to punch.

While that is happening we find out a decade before there was an original secret group of Ultimates no one knew about made up of Vision, Quake, Wonder Man, a tiger lady, and Black Knight. Director Fury apparently ran this as well. None of this makes any sense, since Fury wasn't director then, the Triskelion shouldn't have existed, the Ultimate Universe already had a version of the Vision, and Ultimates Volume 1 made it pretty clear that super heroes (and a team of them) were all a new thing in this universe.

Needless to say there is bunch of fighting and yelling and Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and Sue Storm save the day. Cap decides to resign from being President since yelling at people to figure out their own problems takes up too much time that he could spend punching people. Also his uniform seems to have turned back into the 616 uniform during this time. I guess what happens next is supposed to be a cliffhanger.

While all of that was happening, the X-men now apparently revolve around Kitty Pride. She goes down to Arizona to lead a mutant resistance against Sentinels who took over the place. Fury helps her for a bit, before telling her he has to jet and it is up to her to take care of things going forward. Also he convinced the Ultimates not to get involved, because solving the issue would build character for Kitty or something like that. She saves the day by shooting the main Sentinel in the head with an M-16 (amazing how they are resistant to all mutant powers, but are defeated by a gun with adamantium bullets).

Once they are free from the tyranny of the Sentinels, the government apparently decides the best course of action is to give every mutant the choice of having their powers taken away and to be turned back into normal humans, or they can go live on a reservation.

In summary, after a brief bright spot with Hickman and Spencer, the Ultimate Universe is going down hill again. At least it isn't Loeb-tier bad. And more importantly, the whole thing is almost over.

Sadly after 12 issues Hickman is no longer involved in the Ultimates and has been replaced with Sam Humphries. It has not been good.

This may be the biggest understatement in ComicGAF history.

Enjoying reading your reviews, Gremlin! And as you said, you're near the end of the Ultimate U, and there's still some Miles-Man left so it's not all bad.

My list.

My BuyList via Comics Day App
BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #5 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #46 $3.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARKSEID WAR FLASH #1 $3.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARKSEID WAR SUPERMAN #1 $3.99
MIDNIGHTER #6 $2.99
NAILBITER #17 (MR) $2.99
PAPER GIRLS #2 $2.99
STAR WARS #11 $3.99

Will pick up Deadpool if it reviews good.

Top Bottom