• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Squire

Banned
Yeah I can see the show being better. I'll watch it eventually.

I was thinking about buying the omni a while ago but never bit the bullet. Guess I made the right choice in hindsight. I don't think it's bad or anything but it was kind of whatever after a bit. I'm glad I read it but I don't think I would recommend it to people.

Yeah, same.

The show is definitely better. The showrunner, Melissa Rosenberg, very clearly took the stuff she liked about it and made it her own.

Tizoc

DC pls.

Reprint these books damnit
Formerly-Known-as-the-Justice-League-1-2003-Cover.jpg
FOgqphq.jpg

p2_FKATJL-03_p13.jpg

p2_FKATJL-03_p16.jpg

Squire

Banned
You guys said Johns wrote Shazam, right? What book is that? (I want to read some Johns stuff soon.)

Edit: Oh, I see, they're Justice League backups collected in s trade. That's pretty cool.

I need to read those...

They're on CMX, if you don't mind digital. Not collected though. They're $2 per issue, but when the arcs are only six issues each and DC charges $12 for s trade it doesn't really make a difference.

Tizoc

You guys said Johns wrote Shazam, right? What book is that? (I want to read some Johns stuff soon.)

Edit: Oh, I see, they're Justice League backups collected in s trade. That's pretty cool.

They're on CMX, if you don't mind digital. Not collected though. They're $2 per issue, but when the arcs are only six issues each and DC charges $12 for s trade it doesn't really make a difference.

Glad to hear they're on CMX, doesn't sound like a bad way to read them while waiting for a trade to miraculously be made :p

Mindwipe

Guys, would a 7" tablet be good enough to read comics on?

I do almost all my reading on a Nexus 7. A 10 inch is better for reading, but a 7 is much easier to carry around and read on the move.

I do look at buying a ten inch for in my house sometimes though.

sca2511

hmm nothing specific but

ist has a good sale 45 off marvel/dc/image/dark horse with some other steep discounts. just make sure to check those sliding banners on the top

amazon theres a 30% off any single book with a discount code holiday30 i think

barnes and noble has a buy 2 get 1 free for dc and marvel books. theres a 30 percent off code somewhere too i think.

cheapgraphicnovels.com has a good sale going on right now too.

Thank you

We will see if it actually ships.

Still waiting on dcbs to ship Batwoman bombshell. Get the feeling they will eventually cancel it. My store here got one. In Ireland for fuck sake.

I'm in the same boat. Waiting for DCBS to ship the Batwoman, seen it at cons and such. Also waiting for my Catwoman Bombshell to ship from another store. All this waiting

kmfdmpig

Guys, would a 7" tablet be good enough to read comics on?

It's passable, but not ideal.

I started on a 7, then jumped to a low res 10, then a high res 8.9 and now a super hi res 10.5 and each step was an improvement, so both resolution and size should be considered.

been reading King City by Brandon Graham. this is probably my first prolonged exposure to Graham's earlier work. his cartooning is uneven and rough sometimes but its really impressive how inventive and clever the storytelling is even at this early stage. when you go back to the earlier works of artists, you often see them stumble with storytelling but Graham seems to have had it down at least since King City. i can see how the cartooning style could put off readers but im really liking it. the plot is pretty sparse sometimes but i like it. i wouldnt mind if the plot didnt go forward at all and if the book just explored King City. im about halfway through but its been great.

been reading King City by Brandon Graham. this is probably my first prolonged exposure to Graham's earlier work. his cartooning is uneven and rough sometimes but its really impressive how inventive and clever the storytelling is even at this early stage. when you go back to the earlier works of artists, you often see them stumble with storytelling but Graham seems to have had it down at least since King City. i can see how the cartooning style could put off readers but im really liking it. the plot is pretty sparse sometimes but i like it. i wouldnt mind if the plot didnt go forward at all and if the book just explored King City. im about halfway through but its been great.
Cool. I checked CMX but they have just one volume from tokyopop? I'm guessing that isn't the full collection

Boogiepop

Read like the first third or so of the Carl Barks book titled A Christmas for Shacktown and wow, it's crazy how much of a difference the 5 years or so between this and the first one I read makes. The titular stories both have that Christmas theme, but there's a vast gulf in quality between them. And this one has been pretty much entirely great all around so far. It really is crazy to think how old this is, and I have little doubt that it probably holds up the best of comics of that vintage. Hell, I love the crap out of Osamu Tezuka, and think that Astro Boy is pretty good considering how old it is, but I'd still say this stuff is leagues better.

Definitely leaning towards just catching up on Carl Barks (in addition to Don Rosa) for what's out in this collection. It's a shame they aren't all available in two pack form, though, as that'll cause some slight inconsistency in the collection...

All caught up with monthly comics. Some standouts were:

Outcast. Came back with a bang! Had a very suspenseful cinematic feel where you had wide eyes the whole time reading it.

Omega Men. When you read a Tom King comic, you feel like you are reading a carefully planned, smart book. Always a joy.

Archie. #LipStickIncident #teamBetty

Batman/Robin Eternal continues to be solid. I'm enjoying it.

Grayson explaining more of Spyral and leading into Robin War was great fun.

We Are Robin same as above with Robin War. Characters are fun to follow.

Souther Bastards. Southern Bastards.

Tokyo Ghost. Another great Remender book and Sean is killing it.

Superman Lois and Clark is my favorite monthly Supes title right now.

Vader Down Star Wars books. Thoroughly enjoying them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that really stand out.

tim1138

I read King City over the summer and really enjoyed it. I love Graham's style of visual storytelling, he's one of those guys that you can see a panel or a page from and instantly know it's his.

All caught up with monthly comics. Some standouts were:

Outcast. Came back with a bang! Had a very suspenseful cinematic feel where you had wide eyes the whole time reading it.

Omega Men. When you read a Tom King comic, you feel like you are reading a carefully planned, smart book. Always a joy.

Archie. #LipStickIncident #teamBetty

Batman/Robin Eternal continues to be solid. I'm enjoying it.

Grayson explaining more of Spyral and leading into Robin War was great fun.

We Are Robin same as above with Robin War. Characters are fun to follow.

Souther Bastards. Southern Bastards.

Tokyo Ghost. Another great Remender book and Sean is killing it.

Superman Lois and Clark is my favorite monthly Supes title right now.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that really stand out.

Omega Men was a little weak this month, IMO. Not the right time for backstory diving. Still, it was very well put together.

And I'm so damn hyped for Robin War. Crossover book featuring a ton of extremely strong titles that's getting kicked off by Tom King?

Fucking YES.

Omega Men was a little weak this month, IMO. Not the right time for backstory diving. Still, it was very well put together.

And I'm so damn hyped for Robin War. Crossover book featuring a ton of extremely strong titles that's getting kicked off by Tom King?

Fucking YES.

I know, I'm super pumped.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Probably my favorite book bar Sunstone. Very jealous that you get to experience it for the first time. Enjoy.

It's got it's hooks in me pretty deep. 7 books in so far. My new Surface Pro is a GODSEND for comic consumption.

Are there any good comedy/humor comics out there?

Mindwipe

It's got it's hooks in me pretty deep. 7 books in so far. My new Surface Pro is a GODSEND for comic consumption.

Sometimes MTMTE and Sex Criminals are hilarious, though neither are comedy books as such.

Old issues of The Tick or the first series of Radioactive Man books are great if either of those are on CMX.

EDIT: Oh, and Nextwave obvs.

Messi

I find Sunstone to be legitimately hilarious at times. But beware it is also lewd and full of lesbian sex, bdsm and romance. Wouldn't want you accidentally stepping into that highly rated book not knowing what is in there. That said Ally and Lisa acting like idiots is funny to me.

I find Sunstone to be legitimately hilarious at times. But beware it is also lewd and full of lesbian sex, bdsm and romance. Wouldn't want you accidentally stepping into that highly rated book not knowing what is in there. That said Ally and Lisa acting like idiots is funny to me.

I've also really been enjoying Switch so far.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. The end of the latest issue was pretty funny. Fun crossover so far.

Chewie was a good read this week as well. I loved his droid disguise.

I really want to see evil droids in live action somehow.

Also, concerning the Star Wars comics, I wonder how many people are involved in making these stories now canon. Seems like something they want to keep more strict now that they were able to say all EU stuff are just legend stories now.

Tizoc

More Than Meets the Eye Vol. q

I have one more issue, but so far so good. Lot of dialogue

Yup if you like reading, you'll like the book a lot, any panel can be foreshdowing of something that'll happen in the next issue or next page.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1613778465/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Def. get these, I'm not a DnD fan but it's some of the funniest and cleverst comics ever written

Also check a few posts back for Keith Giffen's 2 JL miniseries that are now available on CMX

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

My absolute favorite Manga is filled with pages upon pages of sex and other sex related goodies. So I am adding Sunstone to my read list. Cheers.

Messi

My absolute favorite Manga is filled with pages upon pages of sex and other sex related goodies. So I am adding Sunstone to my read list. Cheers.

Please come back and let me know what you think. I think it is truly amazing and is my fave book. Very few people I have told about it on here have disliked it. One person actually. Stjepan Sejic is a good dude who respects the lifestyle he is writing about. Its also very fun and charming.

and...you enjoyed it? or did you feel like the devious Sunstone fans here lured your innocent self in there?

Innocence is something I don't have. It was alright—I was lured by own curiosity. I know and talked to people who are/were into that type lifestyle so nothing too shocking to me.

Please come back and let me know what you think. I think it is truly amazing and is my fave book. Very few people I have told about it on here have disliked it. One person actually. Stjepan Sejic is a good dude who respects the lifestyle he is writing about. Its also very fun and charming.

People who don't like Sunstone probably don't crap on it too much because you're a popular poster and it's clear how much you love it. I'm happy you have something you love so much. And I respect the loyal support you show Sejic.

I think I'm gonna really like Switch, but Sejic shone most brightly through his art on Rat Queeens, IMO. I find Sunstone boring. But we all have different tastes here. I think more people should read Rachel Rising but they don't. It just doesn't fit into popular tastes, I guess. C'est la vie.

Top Bottom