• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

No kidding.
DID SHE JUST FUCK HER CAT!?
I don't even know whether to be horrified or aroused about that one.

Stay safe. If it were me I'd pack up all my anime shit and GTFO.
Thanks. We're doing what we can to stay safe. Unfortunately, driving out isn't really much of an option without gas and the highways being packed. Not to mention the whole peninsula is at risk so it also leads to "well where do we go". But hoping for the best. I'll be with my parents and grandma and my siblings live close.

Tizoc

Someone give me a quick breakdown of the Batman Beyond comics please.
From the 2000 series onwards.

Messi, hows Harley & the Gotham Sirens?

Gotham Sirens is really good. I hadn't read it in a long time but it had some great characterizations for the main trio and Riddler was featured too.

Hmm. New (chronological order) Hellboy omnibuses.

http://ew.com/books/2017/09/07/dark-horse-hellboy-omnibus-editions-mike-mignola/amp/

I am guessing they are going to be in the same size as the BPRD omnibuses.

...but will the first ominbus collect the short story that shows how Roger was revived?

Malyse

I typically like it more than most, but the kite man issue this week didn't make me feel anything. Am I a monster? I felt like it wasn't... as impactful as the prose made it seem like it should be..?
It felt like a grand tragedy.

----

Well, we have a pretty definitive worst book for generations now.

controversial opinion- the War of Jokes and Riddles is one of the most superlative stories that Batman has had. It's a legend in the making and should have been the event DC touted. The Kite Man interludes are specifically brilliant
Let's not call it a legend in the making here. It's a good story but you are giving it too much praise here.

Malyse

Let's not call it a legend in the making here. It's a good story but you are giving it too much praise here.

And I think you're downplaying how brilliant a story concept this is. The war of Jokes and Riddles can be transmuted to literally any medium and work perfectly. It can be a feature film by cutting excess. It can be a tv/cartoon event. It can be a book. It can be a video game. It works in anything and it works brilliantly. The core story of the Riddler versus the Joker is so amazing and obvious that it's frankly astonishing that no one did it before. It's something that should be as ubiquitous as the death and return of Superman or Marvel's Civil War. You say I oversell. I say you misrepresent the ramifications of an excellent concept.

Long story short, it's one of the singularly best comic arcs that anyone has come up with in ages, even with the incredibly asinine frame story.

Also, you mistake praise for the concept with praise for the execution. The concept != the execution. Civil War was a good concept badly executed the first time. The second was better and the fourth better still (the third execution was a bit of a whiff). Jokes and Riddles is a brilliant concept.
Messi, hows Harley & the Gotham Sirens?
Gotham City Sirens is why I like Harley Quinn and shows just how dangerous she can be.

And I think you're downplaying how brilliant a story concept this is. The war of Jokes and Riddles can be transmuted to literally any medium and work perfectly. It can be a feature film by cutting excess. It can be a tv/cartoon event. It can be a book. It can be a video game. It works in anything and it works brilliantly. The core story of the Riddler versus the Joker is so amazing and obvious that it's frankly astonishing that no one did it before. It's something that should be as ubiquitous as the death and return of Superman or Marvel's Civil War. You say I oversell. I say you misrepresent the ramifications of an excellent concept.

Long story short, it's one of the singularly best comic arcs that's anyone has come up with in ages, even with the incredibly asinine frame story.

Also, you mistake praise for the concept with praise for the execution. The concept != the execution. Civil War was a good concept badly executed the first time. The second was better and the fourth better still (the third execution was a bit of a whiff). Jokes and Riddles is a brilliant concept.

Gotham City Sirens is why I like Harley Quinn and shows just how dangerous she can be.
You are overselling it though. You calling it the greatest comic book arc in ages is nullified with Snyder's Court of Owls and others arc in the past seven proves this. You also said that it can be put in anything and guess what, you can do that with almost anything with comics.
Edit: Execution also matters when you are writing a book, game, or comic.

Those Hellboy Omnibus(i) look sweet. Makes me feel like collecting would be a ton simpler...since atm my Hellboy shelf is arranged in a Mignolaverse reading order up to the Library Ed Vol 6...

Chronological reading order...but with the short stories pulled out of them. Lol. People always way overblow the reading order for the Mignola books and in trying to oversimplify it down to the bare minimum books they can point to and shout "read!", it feels like DH have done it too lol. All you need to do is read them in order. Just 1-12 of HB, or 1-6 of the library editions. Then read the two in hell books. If you liked bprd, just read it in order. Like it? Read Abe. In order lol. Read the side books whenever you want. All these books exist in the same world but are almost always totally contained. It's not hard. Draining out the short stories from the reading order of HB does hurt it though, there's things from those that slowly become more significant or are important later. All they really had to fix if they wanted was putting some of the short stories from vol 3 before Wake The Devil.

Oh well. In terms of streamlining things it's a good idea for folks who don't want to buy the library editions. They'll look nice on the shelf beside the other omnibus too. Really though folks, you hardly need to worry about the order of these books the way some treat it.

tim1138

I'm just parroting Donnie here, but for the love of Ogdru Jahad, if you've never read Hellboy and are interested ignore that Mignolaverse reading order nonsense. If you wanna check out Hellboy start at volume 1 and then keep going volume 12 and then read the two volumes of Hellboy in Hell. That's it! If you want more, then you're in luck because there's a handful of OGN's that fill the gaps in his history. You never have to touch BPRD, Abe, Lobster Johnson, or any other of the related books unless you're so inclined to explore more of the that world.

You can do the same thing with BPRD if you're not as keen on HB, but are interested in the larger world. There's four big Plague of Frogs volumes, then a big 45-47 volume, a couple of one offs, and then 15 volumes of Hell on Earth. If you wanna know what Abe gets up to, then guess what, he has his own book that spins off of BPRD! But at no point do you need to read the former to stay caught up with the latter.

That reading order does the books such a disservice because it makes it look like you need to read 3 volumes of 1 thing than alternate between 2 different things before throwing in a 3rd. And you don't need to do any of that, you can just read them as they stand on their own.

Vic_Viper

So now that Remender's Seven to Eternity series is going on a 3 month break, which of his other series will be starting up again? I just picked up the rest of the series on CMX thanks to the 60% off sale. Im waiting to start reading LOW once the Deluxe Edition is released and same with Deadly Class now that im finished with the 1st Deluxe Edition.

Are all 4 of his series ending soon or will they be on-going for awhile? I was supper dissapointed that Tokyo Ghost was only 12 issues and they werent going to go back to it, so im wondering if this is going to happen with any of his other books.

Coipel's Batman variant:
icyu1io0thkz79zr1.jpg

(He's doing that Batman Lost one-shot, right?)

Malyse

I am shocked that Sabertooth was introduced in Iron Fist. Also, the Sight would make a good Defenders level threat.
You are overselling it though. You calling it the greatest comic book arc in ages is nullified with Snyder's Court of Owls and others arc in the past seven proves this. You also said that it can be put in anything and guess what, you can do that with almost anything with comics.
Edit: Execution also matters when you are writing a book, game, or comic.
One of != the best. Furthermore being the best doesn't diminish other great arcs. Also, opinions. How do they work?

Every arc isn't malleable to all mediums and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise. Stop pretending I'm saying this is the best Batman arc ever. I am not. I'm saying it's very good and deserves more promotion that it got *and* that it's a setting that should be revisited in other media.

Chronological reading order...but with the short stories pulled out of them. Lol. People always way overblow the reading order for the Mignola books and in trying to oversimplify it down to the bare minimum books they can point to and shout "read!", it feels like DH have done it too lol. All you need to do is read them in order. Just 1-12 of HB, or 1-6 of the library editions. Then read the two in hell books. If you liked bprd, just read it in order. Like it? Read Abe. In order lol. Read the side books whenever you want. All these books exist in the same world but are almost always totally contained. It's not hard. Draining out the short stories from the reading order of HB does hurt it though, there's things from those that slowly become more significant or are important later. All they really had to fix if they wanted was putting some of the short stories from vol 3 before Wake The Devil.

Oh well. In terms of streamlining things it's a good idea for folks who don't want to buy the library editions. They'll look nice on the shelf beside the other omnibus too. Really though folks, you hardly need to worry about the order of these books the way some treat it.

I'm just parroting Donnie here, but for the love of Ogdru Jahad, if you've never read Hellboy and are interested ignore that Mignolaverse reading order nonsense. If you wanna check out Hellboy start at volume 1 and then keep going volume 12 and then read the two volumes of Hellboy in Hell. That's it! If you want more, then you're in luck because there's a handful of OGN's that fill the gaps in his history. You never have to touch BPRD, Abe, Lobster Johnson, or any other of the related books unless you're so inclined to explore more of the that world.

You can do the same thing with BPRD if you're not as keen on HB, but are interested in the larger world. There's four big Plague of Frogs volumes, then a big 45-47 volume, a couple of one offs, and then 15 volumes of Hell on Earth. If you wanna know what Abe gets up to, then guess what, he has his own book that spins off of BPRD! But at no point do you need to read the former to stay caught up with the latter.

That reading order does the books such a disservice because it makes it look like you need to read 3 volumes of 1 thing than alternate between 2 different things before throwing in a 3rd. And you don't need to do any of that, you can just read them as they stand on their own.

Yeah i'm not actually reading them in that order...just when I was first getting into Hellboy and looked up the titles whatever website I read confused me a bit and organizing in that order has become a peculiar habit. Just reading them very...very...slowly :

I am shocked that Sabertooth was introduced in Iron Fist. Also, the Sight would make a good Defenders level threat.

One of != the best. Furthermore being the best doesn't diminish other great arcs. Also, opinions. How do they work?

Every arc isn't malleable to all mediums and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise. Stop pretending I'm saying this is the best Batman arc ever. I am not. I'm saying it's very good and deserves more promotion that it got *and* that it's a setting that should be revisited in other media.

My mistake. This conversation is done.

arkon

There's nothing wrong with the Mignolaversity reading order. The few paragraphs of explanation at the start of the page cover the nature of it very well. It's not an official reading order, just one way to experience the books:

With Mike Mignola's Hellboy Universe now spanning over seventy trade paperbacks, it can be a little intimidating, especially for new readers. Fortunately, the Hellboy Universe is designed to work from many different starting points. Pick a series—”Hellboy," ”B.P.R.D.," ”Witchfinder," ”Lobster Johnson"—they're all good starting points. Just follow the numbers on the spines of the trades. And many of these series can be read in isolation from the others. You don't need to read ”Hellboy" to read ”Lobster Johnson."

However, there is a certain joy in starting from the beginning and working your way through the whole line of books. That's what this reading order is for. It's made with the big collections in mind (the library editions and omnibus editions). You simply pick up a book, read it cover to cover, then move on to the next. No switching books halfway through.

This is not the official reading order, it's simply one way to explore the Hellboy Universe. Discovery is meant to be a part of the reading experience. As editor Scott Allie said to me once, ‘Different reading orders will tell different stories, the surprises will be in different places. Everyone's experience will be different.' So don't be afraid to explore a little bit; this is not a rigid reading order

There's nothing wrong with the Mignolaversity reading order. The few paragraphs of explanation at the start of the article(s) cover the nature of it very well. It's not an official reading order, just one way to experience the books:

This seems like a smart move.

Yeah i'm not actually reading them in that order...just when I was first getting into Hellboy and looked up the titles whatever website I read confused me a bit and organizing in that order has become a peculiar habit. Just reading them very...very...slowly :

Where abouts have you made it up to? :D

There's nothing wrong with the Mignolaversity reading order. The few paragraphs of explanation at the start of the page cover the nature of it very well. It's not an official reading order, just one way to experience the books:

Nah of course not lol, there's nothing wrong with it as such, but I do think the proposed layout for these omnibus is a mistake, and it just leads me to think about why they would make that decision, where the roots of that discussion lie, and it probably is in the worry that there's an impression these books are complicated to follow in terms of what to read and when. Probably what makes me a little sad is if the plague of frogs is anything to judge by, they will eventually phase out the original HB trades and the HC versions of these, and there will eventually just be 4 paperback omnibus. It'll be the defacto reading order in that instance, and I don't think it's optimal. That will be a pain haha.

Can't even imagine the kinda person that would read hellbro and skip on BZRPD. The gang is legit better than Red, who spends most of his books being MELANCHOLY; The Avatar Of.

Tbf, he always manages to eventually get out of his depressive coma and shoot someone in the eye, so there's that.

mreddie

Once again, Gen X is reject Runaways.
GOTG is weird, Hawthrone is a good artguy but what happened here?
Black Bolt is GOOD AND WOOF

I only read it at the LCS but LOL, this book is GOONNE by #9

Malyse

GOTG is weird, Hawthrone is a good artguy but what happened here?
Black Bolt is GOOD AND WOOF

I only read it at the LCS but LOL, this book is GOONNE by #9
I gave up on Gen X. It's in the trash pile of "bad comics about characters I love" with America.

It's not a very big pile.

And Black Bolt and Inhumans O&FK are both super good? Like, I love these more than most X-Books? Royals is about the same level as Gold.

Also, Iceman does Gen X better than Gen X does. Read Iceman instead of Gen X.

mreddie

I gave up on Gen X. It's in the trash pile of "bad comics about characters I love" with America.

And Black Bolt and Inhumans O&FK are both super good? Like, I love these more than most X-Books? Royals is about the same level as Gold.

I find it funny the Inhuman books are better written than the Mutant books at the moment. I think Blue and Grey are the only books in the Insurrextion line sans the Wolvie books worth a shit.

Yes, I know AXM is supposedly good.

If I wasted money on Gen X, I would hate myself.

Malyse

I find it funny the Inhuman books are better written than the Mutant books at the moment. I think Blue and Grey are the only books in the Insurrextion line sans the Wolvie books worth a shit.

Yes, I know AXM is supposedly good.

If I wasted money on Gen X, I would hate myself.
To be fair, there's like four *inhumans* books ATM, if you exclude stuff like Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl and I guess Secret Warriors? All the nuhumans books sort of float in the same "oh yeah, I guess that counts" bubble as stuff like Wolverine. But if you apples to apples, I think the Inhuman books have an edge.

On a related note, I want an Iso and Synapse team book. Don't care how or why, just make it happen.

I read just Hellboy and understood everything perfectly. If anything you'd be more confused by Mignola's writing than anything else.
Gen X is reject comics. It's not even offensively bad. It's just garbage. X-Men Gold, now THAT'S offensive.

How dare you compare Royals to Gold. At least Royals does something. Gold just attempts to be an X-book by all minimum standards.

Malyse

I read just Hellboy and understood everything perfectly. If anything you'd be more confused by Mignola's writing than anything else.

Gen X is reject comics. It's not even offensively bad. It's just garbage. X-Men Gold, now THAT'S offensive.

How dare you compare Royals to Gold. At least Royals does something. Gold just attempts to be an X-book by all minimum standards.
They bore me equally and I only read them out of misplace love for characters and vague interest in what's happening. They both suffer from a general sense of why the fuck am I reading this with a drop of god I hope this gets better.
Are they seriously trying to make Lego Black Widow sexy?
I think that's the joke. I wouldn't count on anything in a lego game being serious.

They bore me equally and I only read them out of misplace love for characters and vague interest in what's happening. They both suffer from a general sense of why the fuck am I reading this with a drop of god I hope this gets better.
I think that's the joke. I wouldn't count on anything in a lego game being serious.
I find Royals to be fun and over the top. Gold tries to be 80's Claremont fused with Whedon's Astonishing and it fails miserably.

Malyse

In other news, I rather liked Champions but it's kinda hilarious how so many comics are just not acknowledging Secret Empire.

Top Bottom