• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

frye

I actually think 20th Century Boys has a lot of problems. It's fun, but it is totally undeserved how it's put up on a pedestal. If anything, Monster is likely Urasawa's best work. I heard some insider information from someone who was a manga assistant and worked in the industry that he actually had someone else writing most of his series up until now. Odd.

i think i remember hearing it's his editor? the guy who's co-credited in the English releases of Pluto, idk though

Aizo

Banned
i think i remember hearing it's his editor? the guy who's co-credited in the English releases of Pluto, idk though
Osamu? He was long dead when the series was written. He's listed because the characters and world of the comic were his.

Hey thanks for that :) you spent a lot of time there, I appreciate it. There's definitely a good few there that I had a look at and have made a note of. Berserk, Vagabond, FMA and Tekkon Kinkreet are all books I had had a look at already but I don't want to start like 6 series of 20 odd books haha gotta ease into things. Lots of interesting things in there I hadn't heard of at all, I'll have to wish list and let you know how I get on! I probably won't start more than one or two other major series this year but it's something I'm looking to experiment with

Sadly there is a book that basically sounded perfect in concept, loved the art previews etc and is totally out of print <3 it's called Mushishi? It is available digitally but I don't really want to buy anything digital if it can be helped. I really want to read that though it sounds wonderful.

Hey I have every Vol of FMA and Berserk, if it turns out you live next to me you can borrow them.

Full metal Alchemist's art is influenced by Mike Mignola as Hellboy is one of the authors favourite comics. So you know she's good people.

I agree with pacing yourself for long series. I have a tendency to get a little of multiple series and end up realising I need a new bookcase <_<

Comics were a mistake. This is a manga thread now.

Mushishi is great. But someone stole the later volumes from my library, never got to finish the last three volumes. Natsume's Book of Friends is in a similar genre and I quite enjoy that too (though this might still be ongoing).

Other recommendations

Yotsuba &! - GOAT

Saturn Apartments - Slice-of-life + sci-fi

Who knew that all the comic thread needed for stimulation was manga? We are all &#28459;&#30011;&#12398;&#31070;&#27096; now ;) + people are the worst

If you think you'd be interested in the tone of Mushishi, I think you should maybe also check out The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil (I can't believe this was translated, wow), Natsume Yuujinchou, which was mentioned, and Children of the Sea (!!).

These look pretty great, the art for the girl from the other side is amazing!

Make sure to pick up the Akira manga box set coming out this fall. It's a really cool story, but the real star is Otomo drawing the hell out of non stop mass destruction. His background detail is insane. An essential manga read IMO

Another short and sweet manga I like to point to is Nausicaa. That's one where I really enjoy it much more than the ghibli movie. It has its own hard cover collection that isn't too pricey

The Nausicaa set is definitely a matter of when and not if, I nearly bought that actually in this order but didn't want to get carried away. The Akira boxset is gorgeous too, and much better looking than the versions DH did. I read there was some funny issues with those, so it's cool there's a more faithful version coming out.

I think I liked the Mushishi anime better simply because the music added a lot to the stories. Definitely agreed on Yotsuba. Read Monster Musume if you want lewd monster girl fun times. Ask Messi.

I may have to check out Saturn Apartments.

lmao hmmm do not think Monster Musume is for me. I might just watch Mushishi as an anime for the time being though, my partner and I are on a bit of an anime kick right now so maybe that would be good after the one we're watching right now.

Hey I have every Vol of FMA and Berserk, if it turns out you live next to me you can borrow them.

Full metal Alchemist's art is influenced by Mike Mignola as Hellboy is one of the authors favourite comics. So you know she's good people.

I agree with pacing yourself for long series. I have a tendency to get a little of multiple series and end up realising I need a new bookcase <_<

haha I appreciate that, fortunately for yourself you do not live on coastal Scotland. Anyone influenced by HB/Mignola is good in my book. + yeaaa -_- pls don't make me think about shelf space. I'm hitting maximum capacity for my study bookcase and I don't really want to start putting comics elsewhere around the house so at a bit of an impasse. Maybe I can start hanging volumes from the ceiling on strings or something

That's a thread title right there.

Isn't it?? It really caught my eye at a bookstore one day!

Well I did help pick this month' title, we just need to find a way to make it Harley related now, or it'll never make the pass :L

It really is. I had a bit more of a look at The Girl From The Other Side and I do actually think I'll try that one, it looks and sounds fantastic. I really love things with a folklore influence

arkon

lmao hmmm do not think Monster Musume is for me. I might just watch Mushishi as an anime for the time being though, my partner and I are on a bit of an anime kick right now

Definitely check out the anime if you can't get hold of the manga. It's one of those occasions where the anime is comparable, if not superior, to the the manga. From what I remember it was very faithful to the manga plus the added bonus of good music and voice acting.

hey everyone, how are comics?

I forgot. I also read Vol.1 of DC Rebirth Wonder Woman. I thought it started out okay, but then it got weird.

I'm also wondering when these Jem comics are going to be like the show. The Misfits aren't dicks enough for me. I want to see them do some shit that should get them thrown in jail. Where's Zip too? I'm a little surprised that everyone in the group was okay with Blaze. Well, Pizzazz doesn't know yet, but considering she's the worst member of the group I expect her to be a bigot about it. Stormer of course is the nice one.

Can someon explain the timeline with Morrison's Batman and Robin for me? I haven't read any Dick Grayson as Batman stuff yet. What's the order? I really wanna read Black Mirror, but I want to read the stuff before it first.

5o92qw1.png

Full JLI omnibus cover:

Orders of Mister Miracle #2 are higher than for #1 and #3 is even higher.

Make sure to pick up the Akira manga box set coming out this fall. It's a really cool story, but the real star is Otomo drawing the hell out of non stop mass destruction. His background detail is insane. An essential manga read IMO

Another short and sweet manga I like to point to is Nausicaa. That's one where I really enjoy it much more than the ghibli movie. It has its own hard cover collection that isn't too pricey

Speaking of that, Amazon added another picture! Dust Jackets!

This is what the older limited release eu softcover box set looked like.

Ross61

Thats pretty crazy, I though issue 1 was a decent issue and started to set up things nicely but wasnt too mind blowing yet, guess people are still on that high from vision, sheriff, omega men etc. Though respect on getting sales like this on a series nowadays, I bet not many comics actually go up in readers issue by issue these days.
Or they just really loved the first issue lol

Or they just really loved the first issue lol

Ha maybe they did, I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, I'm just saying for me it was a beginning of a series set up issue, it didn't make me run to all my friends and say this shit is mind blowing every one get out and buy it, but obviously a lot of people must have been to keep the sales bumping up issue to issue. I just find it a little suprising its had so much of a sales bump, with all the hype and and build up I just figured everyone would be in for issue 1 and would have kept on it, I'm glad its still picking up new readers.

Looking at that JLI cover I only know about half of those people, my DC knowledge must not be that strong :(

caliph95

Top Ten Alan Moore

Can't believe it took me this long to read this, this is such a great book. I Especially appreciate the humor in this book which was on point and I don't think i dislike any main characters in here.

The bad thing it's only 12 issues long

Your new version should be the same. The second pic was something released a couple of years ago for Spain and a few other countries I think.

Haha okay that's what I figured after second reading (my typo didn't help matters). It looks like a gorgeous set but it's pretty expensive too, if they had been shortchanging us with softcovers lol

Messi

Just in case you were wondering SGM is back on twitter answering questions from a certain type of comics fan about how his book isn't political.

Bloodshot: Reborn is fantastic

VALIANT IS THE GOAT

I'm still reading pre the valiant stuff in my catch up, but I'm looking forward to getting to reborn soon :)

The only current series I'm reading is Secret Weapons as its pretty stand alone but thats pretty fantastic too.

Penguin

Next Comixology original revealed
eQ4S0lg.jpg

Today, Marvel and comiXology announced the next series in their line of exclusive digital comics – Thor Vs Hulk: Champions Of The Universe. The perfect entry point for new readers, Thor Vs Hulk: Champions Of The Universe is written by Jeremy Whitley with art by Simone Buonfantino and Alti Firmasyah. Thor Vs Hulk focuses on two of Earth’s mightiest heroes, whose skills, endurance and friendship are put to the test when they’re pitted against each other to decide who will fight the Elder of the Universe known as the Champion. New issues of Thor Vs Hulk will be available bi-weekly through comiXology and Kindle as part of the comiXology Originals line of exclusive digital content.

Spider-Man #20 - After thinking over this story, I actually got a laugh over the fact that Miles ends up fulfilling the fantasy that edgy teenagers dreams of:
he runs away to Japan.

At first I wondered why, but then I remembered the dude was practically raised on martial arts films since he was a little kid. Of course he'd think that would be a good idea on impulse. I remember seeing it all the time in high school with my friends who were deep into anime and convinced themselves that they could make a living in a Japan if they wanted to.

kmfdmpig

Who is everyone's #1 favorite superhero?
Why?
Favorite story with that character?

Boring answer, I know, but probably Batman (Jessica Jones and Booster Gold are in the conversation, however)
I'm not sure why to be honest. I like the villains, obviously. I like the visual look of the character most of the time. There have been top-tier writers and artists on the book over the years.
My favorite runs are probably: Random late 80s runs, No Man's Land and perhaps best of all Year One.

Why?

Sentimentally...probably Superman.

I was depressed and thinking about suicide around the time I read All Star Superman, and when I got to that bit with Regan...i just teared up and remember muttering to myself "I wish he was real". Which sounds kinda dumb with all the collateral that comes with it but I still feel like that moment + the cover with Superman sitting on a cloud and smiling is just the quintessential Superman moment, to me.

Otherwise, though...this is kind a cop out answer but Green Lantern. And I guess I mean Hal, but really its the GLs from Geoff Johns' run. It was the first time I bought comics regularly/monthly etc and I got this wider window into the DCU and also got to experience all the ways Johns expanded the mythos. It felt like an ongoing adventure in a way almost no Marvel or DC book has felt for me since.

Favorite story from it would be Sinestro Corps War. It's still my favorite DC/Marvel event, although I do actually love Infinite Crisis.

Plus it resulted in some kaleidoscopic feasts for the eyes from an art PoV, and the gatefold ending to Green Lantern #20 will never not remind me of the fun I'd had over the years.

Wanderer5

Why?

Batman, because of Batman: The Animated Series which I still love to this day. He also has a really awesome design along with a nice supporting cast and rogue gallery.

As for my favorite story, that is kind of tough, but I guess comic wise, least Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth and Batman: Year One would be up there.

Vic_Viper

Havent read it yet, but is this the final issue to Seven to Eternity? Or are they going to continue the story further?

Also how was Astonishing X-Men?

Messi

Havent read it yet, but is this the final issue to Seven to Eternity? Or are they going to continue the story further?

Also how was Astonishing X-Men?

I believe this is the arc end and it will take the image break and be back in 2-3 months.

Top Bottom