• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

We actually have a terrible track record for book clubs. I'm pretty sure it's Zombeen's fault.

We've actually been doing okay on the book clubs for the podcast. So far we've done:

DC New Frontier (three eps)
Spider-Man Blue
Transformers Last Stand of the Wreckers
Sex Criminals Vol. 1
Divinity 1-3 (why yes Launchpad is a co-host how did you figure that out)

and we just did part one of Marvel 1602.

Marvel 1602 is so great.
The ending shocked me.

Where can i listen to you?

Bull Moose Comics on our Squarespace (although Squarespace is down atm, Launchpad is putting the ep up as soon as it's back up), and we're available on Pocket Casts, Google Play Music and Apple Podcasts.

It's myself, Shinjohnpv, Launchpad and Poodlestrike.

Messi

I wrote Peter David an email about this comic, several years after it came out, telling him I thought it was cool that he tackled the issue and presented various perspectives.

He did not respond.

This is relevant enough that the actual book would make a good "reading club" thread for OT.

We should do a book club for stray bullets.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Bull Moose Comics on our Squarespace (although Squarespace is down atm, Launchpad is putting the ep up as soon as it's back up), and we're available on Pocket Casts, Google Play Music and Apple Podcasts.

It's myself, Shinjohnpv, Launchpad and Poodlestrike.
Subbed!

MG310

NYCC panels list is up.

Way more main stage panels have been moved offsite. Javits Center gets Runaways while the Theater at Madison Square Garden gets Punisher and Agents of Shield.

Goodstyle

DI_jxvfW4AAXub_.jpg

Variant Cover for Batman White Knight #1

Aizo

Banned
Thought I would change things up and finally turn "one day I will try some Manga" into a reality. Deciding where to start is difficult when you don't really have tastes to build on yet, but a few names came up repeatedly when I was looking at stuff so I grabbed 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa, and two one and done volumes by Inio Asano: Nijigahara Holograph, & Solanin. I'm pretty sure Ty recommended Solanin ages ago so cheers for that. Not comic related I guess, but I haven't picked anything else up lately so that's all I've got.
Nijigahara is a love it or hate it piece, but Asano is still one of the best contemporaries out there. Solanin is just wonderful. I actually think 20th Century Boys has a lot of problems. It's fun, but it is totally undeserved how it's put up on a pedestal. If anything, Monster is likely Urasawa's best work. I heard some insider information from someone who was a manga assistant and worked in the industry that he actually had someone else writing most of his series up until now. Odd.

Anyway, manga! Let's start with something I think you'll like. You like horror, so read Uzumaki by Itou Junji. It's available in English. If you like that, I also suggest Fragments of Horror by him as well. I think my favorite works of his aren't translated still. Next, would be an epic fantasy adventure with lots of Horror inspiration, Berserk! Must read. If you read one manga, just read all of Berserk.

Important, great manga authors who you should experience: selected works. I'll select somewhat short pieces by great writers/artists available in English.
Osamu Tezuka - MW (Osamu Tezuka is called 漫画の神様 - The God of Manga - because he is the single most influential manga author of all time. He bounced around so many art styles and genres, and he's quite prolific.)
Matsumoto Taiyou - Gogo Monster, Tekkon Kinkreet, or Ping Pong
Tatsumi Yoshihiro - Abandon the Old in Tokyo or Goodbye
Taniguchi Jiro - A Distant Neighborhood
Hagio Moto - The Heart of Thomas
Hayashi Seiichi - Red Colored Elegy (this piece was hugely influential in Japan on all kinds of art)
Takehiko Inoue - Nothing short, sadly, but his three largest works are all very good and very famous. If you want a youth basketball manga taking place in high school with a flawed protag who really grows, read Slam Dunk. If you want a retelling of the life of the famous samurai Miyamoto Musashi, then read Vagabond (the art will blow you away). If you want to read about people who play wheelchair basketball, and their life problems, read Real.

Unfortunately, for one of my favorite artists in manga, I can't recommend a short manga. Eyeshield 21 (it's like super powered high school American football) or One Punch Man (maybe most accessible for a Westerner. Very funny with great action) are both incredibly fun and beautiful. Murata Yuusuke's art is phenomenal.

Lastly, since I failed in naming any female authors, let me point you to some of my favorite works.
Mori Kaoru's A Bride's Story is kinda slice of life about 19th century Central Asian nomadic tribes and several different women who get married and how their stories connect. The art floors me every time, and it's meticulously researched, so the people and their culture feel very real.

Arakawa Hiromu's Full Metal Alchemist is famous for a reason. It's a really great adventure. Besides the cute, deformed art sometimes used for comic relief (called chibi), I love pretty much everything about it.
Gotta promote Indie authors! My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness by Nagata Kabi is an autobiographical manga about a young, depressed virgin's experience exploring her sexuality and eventually seeking out a lesbian prostitute.
If you wanna read LGBT manga, Shimura Takako's Wandering Son is beautiful.

Sorry this post is such a mess. If you want me to go into detail on anything or you want me to find you specific recommendations tailored to your interests, I'd be happy to!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Whats going on in Spider-Men II?
Bendis tweets make me hopefull that they make Miles to its own thing? Maybe even a new identity?

read some indie comics I picked up from a con this past weekend, starting with Ego Rehab by Dave Crosland. It's a bit of an autobio comic about the artist's relationship with creativity, with his "inner child" as an actual character arriving to bring him out of an artistic slump and make him draw comics again.
Code:
[IMG]http://img-cache.oppcdn.com/img/v1.0/s:28430/t:QkxBTksrVEVYVCtIRVJF/p:12/g:tl/o:2.5/a:50/q:90/640x4096-Ceak92e7uJEP74xD.jpg/640x906/e157ed72047f0379ca2a94a8fdc3ecbd.jpg[/IMG]
The other was The Travelling Adventures of Kiri and Friends by Bob Q, a fun, breezy adventure story about a little girl with a big sword and her big cat companion. He's really good at facial expressions, I can see him getting scooped up by the Big 2 at some point in the near future. He's drawing Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit for Dynamite, which sounds like every Dynamite comic but it's actually not bad! Fred Van Lente is writing it, it's fun.
Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6W7iGzU0AAGdND.jpg[/IMG]

Both are pretty straightforward books but they're good artistic showcases.

Aizo

Banned
Can someon explain the timeline with Morrison's Batman and Robin for me? I haven't read any Dick Grayson as Batman stuff yet. What's the order? I really wanna read Black Mirror, but I want to read the stuff before it first.

hey everyone, how are comics?

I want to thank the person who recommended me Batman: Birth of the Demon. I'm really enjoying it Ra's Al Ghul is my favorite Batman villain.

I'm also reading Jem and the Holograms Vol.4. I don't like this weird Dark Jem art. I don't see what's so bad about this virus. It just seems like it's turning people into goths.

Messi

I want to thank the person who recommended me Batman: Birth of the Demon. I'm really enjoying it Ra's Al Ghul is my favorite Batman villain.

I'm also reading Jem and the Holograms Vol.4. I don't like this weird Dark Jem art. I don't see what's so bad about this virus. It just seems like it's turning people into goths.

Sophie Campbell is wonderful you take that back :(

Aizo

Banned
I actually started reading some manga again the other day. I have a bunch that I need to get rid of this month, so I need to finish them.

Been pretty nice so far, but one of the series I'm reading talks a lot about clothing and cooking materials, and I have to look up the words. Intense read.

Woah woah woah. Wait. Didn't everyone get the memo?

Ten Fingers is your dad now.
God I love Soule
I'm sorry I can't forgive the Tenfingers gun.

Why does a gun with one barrel need ten triggers?
Why doesn't it? Ridiculous question.
Because it's rad as shit
Also this
I just noticed that Gwenpool is Marvels Harley.
That's Deadpool.
Its ¯_(ツ)_/¯
I dont know why people on GAF were so excited for Knack tbh.
They were? I always assumed they were beinf ironic.
Sometimes readable.

Anyway, manga!

Hey thanks for that :) you spent a lot of time there, I appreciate it. There's definitely a good few there that I had a look at and have made a note of. Berserk, Vagabond, FMA and Tekkon Kinkreet are all books I had had a look at already but I don't want to start like 6 series of 20 odd books haha gotta ease into things. Lots of interesting things in there I hadn't heard of at all, I'll have to wish list and let you know how I get on! I probably won't start more than one or two other major series this year but it's something I'm looking to experiment with

Sadly there is a book that basically sounded perfect in concept, loved the art previews etc and is totally out of print </3 it's called Mushishi? It is available digitally but I don't really want to buy anything digital if it can be helped. I really want to read that though it sounds wonderful.

Messi

I just noticed that Gwenpool is Marvels Harley.

How do you figure? Current Harley is DCs Deadpool. Gwenpool is more rounded than that. The Harley Deadpool commonality is kind of hilarious. It's really blatant. So much so that Palmiotti and Hardin pitched a Deadpool Harley story and were rejected. They even made art.

Comics were a mistake. This is a manga thread now.

Hey thanks for that :) you spent a lot of time there, I appreciate it. There's definitely a good few there that I had a look at and have made a note of. Berserk, Vagabond, FMA and Tekkon Kinkreet are all books I had had a look at already but I don't want to start like 6 series of 20 odd books haha gotta ease into things. Lots of interesting things in there I hadn't heard of at all, I'll have to wish list and let you know how I get on! I probably won't start more than one or two other major series this year but it's something I'm looking to experiment with

Sadly there is a book that basically sounded perfect in concept, loved the art previews etc and is totally out of print <3 it's called Mushishi? It is available digitally but I don't really want to buy anything digital if it can be helped. I really want to read that though it sounds wonderful.

Mushishi is great. But someone stole the later volumes from my library, never got to finish the last three volumes. Natsume's Book of Friends is in a similar genre and I quite enjoy that too (though this might still be ongoing).

Other recommendations

Yotsuba &! - GOAT

Saturn Apartments - Slice-of-life + sci-fi

Have there been other comics like Grayson, where the character gets put into a completely different situation (Dick going from street-level superhero to super spy)?

And I'm not talking Elseworlds.

I wanted to point out that I fear the day that someone pther than G. Willow Wilson gets on Ms. Marvel (the solo) and Frank Miller's it. Just dark and gritty Kamala. I can't handle thag possibility.
I was just thinking of that. Just a complete genre shift while staying true to the character.

Comics were a mistake. This is a manga thread now.

Mushishi is great. But someone stole the later volumes from my library, never got to finish the last three volumes. Natsume's Book of Friends is in a similar genre and I quite enjoy that too (though this might still be ongoing).

Other recommendations

Yotsuba &! - GOAT

Saturn Apartments - Slice-of-life + sci-fi

I think I liked the Mushishi anime better simply because the music added a lot to the stories. Definitely agreed on Yotsuba. Read Monster Musume if you want lewd monster girl fun times. Ask Messi.

I may have to check out Saturn Apartments.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I wanted to point out that I fear the day that someone pther than G. Willow Wilson gets on Ms. Marvel (the solo) and Frank Miller's it. Just dark and gritty Kamala. I can't handle thag possibility.

I was just thinking of that. Just a complete genre shift while staying true to the character.

Vision is an excellent choice. Will do a Halloween re-read myself.

Wanderer5

Today was 25th anniversary of Batman: The Animated Series. Was able to slip in least a re-watch of Heart of Ice and Almost Got 'im. What a wonderful show, that I am pretty sure got me into the world of superheroes.

I should make sure to re-watch Joker's Favor for Harley next week, cause that was her first appearance right?

MG310

Damn, this is a stacked IST week with the Harley Omnibus,Dodson Harley Deluxe, Planet Hulk and Ennis Punsiher

Have to hold off for now...NYCC money hoarding and Deluxe Bombshells Harley should be in any day now.

Damn, this is a stacked IST week with the Harley Omnibus,Dodson Harley Deluxe, Planet Hulk and Ennis Punsiher

I'm pretty sure you don't need those first two. I passed on Hulk since I already have the OG hardcover. I would have bought the omni if it also included Skaar: Son of Hulk. Awesome series.

Aizo

Banned

Sadly there is a book that basically sounded perfect in concept, loved the art previews etc and is totally out of print <3 it's called Mushishi? It is available digitally but I don't really want to buy anything digital if it can be helped. I really want to read that though it sounds wonderful.
You are very welcome! I love writing up recommendation lists, because it gives me chance to remember all the great things I've read.
Could you get Mushishi through a library? The art is so beautiful. I saw a mention of the anime, which is also good. I typically will never recommend an anime over a manga, but I think the director did a great job with that one. I'm not really a fan of most anime in general, despite my love of manga.

If you think you'd be interested in the tone of Mushishi, I think you should maybe also check out The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil (I can't believe this was translated, wow), Natsume Yuujinchou, which was mentioned, and Children of the Sea (!!).

If you think you'd be interested in the tone of Mushishi, I think you should maybe also check out The Girl From the Other Side: Siúil (I can't believe this was translated, wow),

Oh, hey. I think I saw that one at the book store. It's like Mushishi, huh?

Make sure to pick up the Akira manga box set coming out this fall. It's a really cool story, but the real star is Otomo drawing the hell out of non stop mass destruction. His background detail is insane. An essential manga read IMO

Another short and sweet manga I like to point to is Nausicaa. That's one where I really enjoy it much more than the ghibli movie. It has its own hard cover collection that isn't too pricey

Make sure to pick up the Akira manga box set coming out this fall. It's a really cool story, but the real star is Otomo drawing the hell out of non stop mass destruction. His background detail is insane. An essential manga read IMO

Another short and sweet manga I like to point to is Nausicaa. That's one where I really enjoy it much more than the ghibli movie. It has its own hard cover collection that isn't too pricey

Have the Akira box pre-ordered, and have owned the Nausicaa box since about the time it came out.

Greg Pak had a decent shot at it with Superman in Action Comics before the Vandal Savage crossover started and derailed everything.
Was this the New 52 where he went t-shirt and jeans?
Today was 25th anniversary of Batman: The Animated Series. Was able to slip in least a re-watch of Heart of Ice and Almost Got 'im. What a wonderful show, that I am pretty sure got me into the world of superheroes.

I should make sure to re-watch Joker's Favor for Harley next week, cause that was her first appearance right?

"Laughing Fish" is one of my favorites. Also "Perchance to Dream".

Top Bottom