• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You get to see a tiny Pym crawl out of Jan's vagina, and a giant, naked Pym rampage around the Vegas strip. So yeah, pretty awesome.

tbh, you are not successfull if you try to talk me out reading this book :D

I mean, yeah, its a bit to much, something more in line with what Ultimate Pym would most likely do, but I need to see and laugh about it now :D

Iirc Bendis was asked to do a big avengers story once Marvel decided to put a bigger focus on avengers comics. They went with Bendis over Millar because Millar was doing Ultimates at the time.

I don't think Johns was particularly popular yet when he started his short avengers run.

Yeah after what happened with Johns and Avengers, he pitched Green Lantern Rebirth to DC and the rest is history.

Tizoc

You really don't. He dedicated an entire issue just to Pym and Janet's seedy Vegas sex escapades, and a crazy stalker Whirlwind. SO MUCH EDGE.

...man that actually sounds awesome on paper-
Pym and Janet working towards making up after all their past BS while Whirlwind tries to ruin their holiday.

Read the first 4 issues of Kirby's New Gods ('71). My first crack at a comic that old in a long while. So good (obvs). Loving it.

Garryk

I haven't been reading Marvel since Infinity (I did get the first two issues of Astonishing XM though). What's worth catching up on for Legacy with the BOGO sale? I was thinking:

Lady Thor
Daredevil
X-Men Blue

Once Legacy hits I know I'll try out ASM and Cap.

Messi

I haven't been reading Marvel since Infinity (I did get the first two issues of Astonishing XM though). What's worth catching up on for Legacy with the BOGO sale? I was thinking:

Lady Thor
Daredevil
X-Men Blue

Once Legacy hits I know I'll try out ASM and Cap.

Gwenpool and Hawkeye

Christian

...man that actually sounds awesome on paper-
Pym and Janet working towards making up after all their past BS while Whirlwind tries to ruin their holiday.

Whirlwind makes a hooker dress up in a Wasp outfit, has sex with her, then kills her.

VanWinkle

Early December I think. That one and the JLI one are probably worthy of being listed in the OP those months.

JLI is actually the end of this month, but I thought it was October until aboit a week ago, which was well after I finished the collected editions sections. I'm really bummed that it's not on there.

I don't know if the official ComicGAF omnibus reading position is going to work with the Fourth World omni if you don't want your legs crushed.

Haha yeah for real. I am going to have to be confined to my desk for that one.

Yeah, I'll have to take a look at it in shop to see if I would want to actually hold it and read it. I do love the idea of having the fourth world stuff all together.

mreddie

Yeah after what happened with Johns and Avengers, he pitched Green Lantern Rebirth to DC and the rest is history.

It's weird how that one decision could shape the comics era for the 2000s. What if Johns stayed with Marvel? Would Millar even do Civil War? BMB with everything else?

Christian

It's weird how that one decision could shape the comics era for the 2000s. What if Johns stayed with Marvel? Would Millar even do Civil War? BMB with everything else?

I know Bendis has his detractors, especially on here, but Marvel dodged a bullet, if Johns's Avengers run is any indication. As interesting as Pym Particle-fueled sex might sound to some people on here, the run is really a mess. Following up a run like Busiek's makes the drop in quality particularly stark.

Sandfox

If Bendis never worked on the Avengers everything would be 100% different. His run affected everything.

Malyse

I want a Gwenpool video game exclusive to Switch that plays completely differently in handheld mode than when docked and where Gwen occasionally walks away from the action on TV screen to reappear on the Switch display.

Foofaraw

Same. When is that, October? I see IST already has it listed under the coming soon section.

December 12th per bleedingcool.

I don't know if the official ComicGAF omnibus reading position is going to work with the Fourth World omni if you don't want your legs crushed.

I recently got a book stand for text books, and it has worked great for Omnibuses as well.

Recently checked out Green Lanterns Vol 1 by Sam Humphries and Robson Rocha. It feels like the definition of mediocre comics. The art is fine to kinda bad, with really rough line work that I feel like I see a lot with the DC house style artists. Issue four really stood out to me as hitting up against production deadlines.

The story itself is fine, and looks like it is setting up a couple over arching plots for the book as a whole. The pacing, however, is abysmal. Every issue repeats itself multiple times about how Simon and Jessica don't get along, and how Jessica locked herself in her apartment for three years. This isn't even writing for the trade, this is expanding page count through reiteration. Because of how they are written, Simon and Jessica feel one dimensional. They keep telling the audience that they don't like each other, and that Jessica is still anxious, when they could be showing that they don't get along well through their actions.

There are a few cool moments, though. I haven't read anything with Simon Baz, outside of his first appearance, so his interaction with Bleez was incredibly interesting.
The Bleez portion of the story feels strongest. Removing her Rage, and having that stick with her even as she goes back with Atrocitus is a great idea. The execution is still poor, with two pages given and very matter of facts statements about how the characters feel.
The lead in to what I imagine the next two arcs is ok at best.
Another kind of Lantern ring. Great. A threat in Earth's core, that's kinda cool, and we'll see where it goes.

I'm probably going to give volume 2 a go. I watched Thorgi's video today about how to fix Marvel comics, and he mentioned that Green Lanterns was given enough time for him to grow to like Simon and Jessica. We'll see if that holds true.

December 12th per bleedingcool.

I recently got a book stand for text books, and it has worked great for Omnibuses as well.

Recently checked out Green Lanterns Vol 1 by Sam Humphries and Robson Rocha. It feels like the definition of mediocre comics. The art is fine to kinda bad, with really rough line work that I feel like I see a lot with the DC house style artists. Issue four really stood out to me as hitting up against production deadlines.

The story itself is fine, and looks like it is setting up a couple over arching plots for the book as a whole. The pacing, however, is abysmal. Every issue repeats itself multiple times about how Simon and Jessica don't get along, and how Jessica locked herself in her apartment for three years. This isn't even writing for the trade, this is expanding page count through reiteration. Because of how they are written, Simon and Jessica feel one dimensional. They keep telling the audience that they don't like each other, and that Jessica is still anxious, when they could be showing that they don't get along well through their actions.

There are a few cool moments, though. I haven't read anything with Simon Baz, outside of his first appearance, so his interaction with Bleez was incredibly interesting.
The Bleez portion of the story feels strongest. Removing her Rage, and having that stick with her even as she goes back with Atrocitus is a great idea. The execution is still poor, with two pages given and very matter of facts statements about how the characters feel.
The lead in to what I imagine the next two arcs is ok at best.
Another kind of Lantern ring. Great. A threat in Earth's core, that's kinda cool, and we'll see where it goes.

I'm probably going to give volume 2 a go. I watched Thorgi's video today about how to fix Marvel comics, and he mentioned that Green Lanterns was given enough time for him to grow to like Simon and Jessica. We'll see if that holds true.

Oh man, Volume 2 is such a huge improvement over Volume 1.

VanWinkle

I know Bendis has his detractors, especially on here, but Marvel dodged a bullet, if Johns's Avengers run is any indication. As interesting as Pym Particle-fueled sex might sound to some people on here, the run is really a mess. Following up a run like Busiek's makes the drop in quality particularly stark.

I doubt his Avengers run would have to be indicative of any other runs he would potentially do, just as it's not indicative of any of his DC runs.

That being said, what percentage of his Avengers run centered around the Pym sex stuff?

Christian

I doubt his Avengers run would have to be indicative of any other runs he would potentially do, just as it's not indicative of any of his DC runs.

That being said, what percentage of his Avengers run centered around the Pym sex stuff?

The Pym sex stuff is one issue. But as that may represent the nadir of the run, a lot of it just isn't that good.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah the first ones were so strong. I dunno what happened.

Hell the animated Wonder Woman movie is so much better than the live action one.
Don't be ridiculous. The movie with sexist creep Trevor? That movie sucks.

Thing is, BMB was still making the company some massive money in the Ultimate Line, so I'd imagine he'd still have a solid position in the company.

But it is interesting to think about. No Bendis run on New Avengers means Luke Cage and Jessica Jones would not have gotten that big resurgence that they did. Though I wonder, without Bendis' New Avengers run, would Marvel have been confident in the line enough to commit to the MCU the way that they did?

Messi

Thing is, BMB was still making the company some massive money in the Ultimate Line, so I'd imagine he'd still have a solid position in the company.

But it is interesting to think about. No Bendis run on New Avengers means Luke Cage and Jessica Jones would not have gotten that big resurgence that they did. Though I wonder, without Bendis' New Avengers run, would Marvel have been confident in the line enough to commit to the MCU the way that they did?

Bendis absolutely still has a solid position in Marvel. People like to shit on him but Marvel clearly trust him. Hell he's writing some stellar books since Civil War (honestly don't think he should be on events). Legitimately some of the best books I read monthly.

Bendis absolutely still has a solid position in Marvel. People like to shit on him but Marvel clearly trust him. Hell he's writing some stellar books since Civil War (honestly don't think he should be on events). Legitimately some of the best books I read monthly.

Oh yeah, I've been enjoying Miles' book and Defenders. I do think Marvel, for while, thought he could have the golden touch on everything, and that ended up not being the case.

Messi

Oh yeah, I've been enjoying Miles' book and Defenders. I do think Marvel, for while, thought he could have the golden touch on everything, and that ended up not being the case.

Are you reading Jessica Jones? It's my favourite of the current books.

The Iron Man books are also great.

This variant. I love it:
Oh87kb0.jpg

Season 2 of Batman Beyond is so far better than Season 1.
The Jokerz are a neat concept too.
S2 is about 50/50. It has some really strong episodes, and some weak ones. I found S1 to be the strongest due to the serialized storylines. S2 and S3 basically drop those and try to be B:TAS and I don't think it works as strongly as they had hoped.
Whirlwind makes a hooker dress up in a Wasp outfit, has sex with her, then kills her.
Naturally
This variant. I love it:
The scouter oh my goodness the scouter

Foofaraw

Oh man, Volume 2 is such a huge improvement over Volume 1.

I am reading it now. The two issue interstitial is already miles better. The art is still mediocre, but fine. The story probably could have been done in one issue, but the interactions between Simon and Jessica were much more in the buddy cop zone. The buddy cop zone is the best zone. It also feels like it might veer into Lord of the Rings territory. Time will tell. It's unfortunate that the first 7 issues (1-6 and the rebirth) are so bland. The Rebirth issue was the only one I picked up as a floppy, but it was nothing to write home about.

Messi

Anyone else read Generations Hawkeye? Kelly Thompson is such a great writer. She has totally nailed Hawkeye and this issue is super fun. The banter between Clint and Kate is just wonderful especially the stuff about
her costume and Clints mask.
long may Kelly last on Hawkeye. She is the writer Kate deserves post Fraction.

I think Jessica Jones might be my favorite Marvel character. Period. Like...I just love her so damn much.
Anyone else read Generations Hawkeye? Kelly Thompson is such a great writer. She has totally nailed Hawkeye and this issue is super fun. The banter between Clint and Kate is just wonderful especially the stuff about
her costume and Clints mask.
long may Kelly last on Hawkeye. She is the writer Kate deserves post Fraction.
You know who I bet would be a good Kate writer? Ewing.

Messi

I think Jessica Jones might be my favorite Marvel character. Period. Like...I just love her so damn much.

I love how bluntly sarcastic she is when written by Bendis. Hence the bottom pic in this month's OP. That literally had me rolling. She just couldn't help saying it.

Id trust Ewing with any quirky character. Kate is right up his alley. I love his writing.

Hawkeye vs Deadpool is a great little mini that many people skipped. It has great art by Lolli and has funny Kate moments like this

Top Bottom