• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| September 2017 | 25 Years of wearing a smile to work!

VanWinkle

Anyone else read Generations Hawkeye? Kelly Thompson is such a great writer. She has totally nailed Hawkeye and this issue is super fun. The banter between Clint and Kate is just wonderful especially the stuff about
her costume and Clints mask.
long may Kelly last on Hawkeye. She is the writer Kate deserves post Fraction.

Hope Thompson's Hawkeye stuff gets an OHC.

Messi

I think they mean events or team books.

Sure but I'd argue even without those he is one of if not top 3 most valuable writers they have.

1. Aaron
2. Bendis
3. Soule?

If Coates stretches out more in comics he would easily be up there. Kelly Thompson has all the potential. I'm sure some will point out G Willow but I've not read anything by her outside of Ms Marvel that I enjoyed. Hastings, Ewing and Hopeless could all make a jump up to bigger books.

Aaron is their GOAT tho. Easily.

mreddie

Hence why he is likely getting Avengers next.

Problem is it also shows how static the writers pool is since the Purge of 2015

Messi

Hence why he is likely getting Avengers next.

Problem is it also shows how static the writers pool is since the Purge of 2015

They have newer writers, it just takes time to build them up or get to that level. People like Zdarsky, Whitley, Thompson, Latour, Hastings, North and even Ryan Stegman is now writing. (I just realised how few females are on that list, that's a problem)

Pak is also doing good stuff in his corner of the world.

The problem is the constant events and shit events at that. I don't think a good event would even fix the problems right now. The line needs a clear direction first and go from there. But smaller writers are doing their best on their titles.

:/

mreddie

Which is why they should stay off events but they have said this before, we got Fear Itself a year later after NO MORE EVENTS

The pool is building up again, it depends who goes on what and what they do with it.

Does Shavley also count since he's writing OML Vs. Deadpool?

I love how bluntly sarcastic she is when written by Bendis. Hence the bottom pic in this month's OP. That literally had me rolling. She just couldn't help saying it.

Id trust Ewing with any quirky character. Kate is right up his alley. I love his writing.

Hawkeye vs Deadpool is a great little mini that many people skipped. It has great art by Lolli and has funny Kate moments like this
JJ is just a character who I've grown to adore. Alias, Netflix JJ, this current book, Defenders (Netflix and comic), and all the supporting/side/gues roles I've read her in. I never not love her.

Also HvD is fantastic. Pushed it since day one.

Messi

Which is why they should stay off events but they have said this before, we got Fear Itself a year later after NO MORE EVENTS

The pool is building up again, it depends who goes on what and what they do with it.

Does Shavley also count since he's writing OML Vs. Deadpool?

Not a Shalvey fan, but sure. Most people like him.

I could do without events. Hell even a year without them sounds great.

DC has benefited from much smaller scale events in a quicker time period. I feel no burnout from Rebirths events or big storylines so far. We will see after metal but I don't see it changing how I feel.

Foofaraw

Eduardo Pansica is the best artist on this book. He pulls of some Kevin Maguire style facial expressions in issue 12. It is a real bummer that the artists have to rotate so much, because I think if it were just him, I would have almost no issues. I still don't quite understand why both lanterns change from having visible irises from panel to panel, but I can get over that if you have someone that is going to successfully ape Maquire in some 3x3 panels layouts.

Poodlestrike was right. Volume 2 of Green Lanterns is much better. Still not close to top tier, but worth reading.

I'm more hype for the teased Vertigo rebuild next year than I am for any of the new/relaunched/reshuffled Legacy books that I'm not already reading. The chance at even 1 more issue of Sandman by Gaiman...

Messi

I'm more hype for the teased Vertigo rebuild next year than I am for any of the new/relaunched/reshuffled Legacy books that I'm not already reading.

What did they tease for vertigo? Is that the thing where they are sweeping young animal under that brand name?

What did they tease for vertigo? Is that the thing where they are sweeping young animal under that brand name?

New artwork was shown in a quick tease at one of the latest cons that ended with "8-8-18" and Gaiman and others have dropped some hints that they have some non-TV and book projects on their desk for next year. We know that as part of the editor switching around from earlier this year that some things were getting a renewed focus. This was before the lawsuits case with Milestone happened so everyone thought it was part of that relaunch.

Edit: Among the artwork was a new Sandman piece, a Death one by Jim Lee, Invisibles by Lemire and more.

It's their 25th anniversary that date I think.

Foofaraw

New artwork was shown in a quick tease at one of the latest cons that ended with "8-8-18" and Gaiman and others have dropped some hints that they have some non-TV and book projects on their desk for next year. We know that as part of the editor switching around from earlier this year that some things were getting a renewed focus. This was before the lawsuits case with Milestone happened so everyone thought it was part of that relaunch.

Edit: Among the artwork was a new Sandman piece, a Death one by Jim Lee, Invisibles by Lemire and more.

It's their 25th anniversary that date I think.

I hope if Gaiman is writing more Sandman, it's a one shot. It took him over 2 years to get out 6 issues for Overture. But it was a solid book.

Are any of the current Vertigo books worth reading? The only thing I see on the wikipedia page of their "on-going" stuff that looks remotely interesting is Astro City, American Vampire, and Sheriff of Babylon. I gave Lucifer a hard pass when it got rebooted as it seemed like such a singular vision of Mike Carry that having someone else take over seemed pointless. Maybe I'm wrong and it is a good book.

I feel like Young Animal has done a good job of filling the Vertigo void for me with DC stuff.

I hope if Gaiman is writing more Sandman, it's a one shot. It took him over 2 years to get out 6 issues for Overture. But it was a solid book.

Are any of the current Vertigo books worth reading? The only thing I see on the wikipedia page of their "on-going" stuff that looks remotely interesting is Astro City, American Vampire, and Sheriff of Babylon. I gave Lucifer a hard pass when it got rebooted as it seemed like such a singular vision of Mike Carry that having someone else take over seemed pointless. Maybe I'm wrong and it is a good book.

I feel like Young Animal has done a good job of filling the Vertigo void for me with DC stuff.

American Way is apparently one of the best books on the market right now but I don't think anyone here is reading it. I'm waiting on Sheriff and Clean Room seasons 2. Astro City is always good and we're getting a dog superhero next issue!

Christian

I like Peter David A LOT, despite that crap he said lately about the Romani. I'm reading his Genis-Vell Captain Marvel run right now, still in the first half when age is is trying to learn how to be a hero, and it is seriously amazing. I cannot put it down, I'm just flying through. And Chriscross's art fits the story so well. I loved, LOVED David's Hulk and X-Factor runs, too. What the hell is he up to these days?

mreddie

I like Peter David A LOT, despite that crap he said lately about the Romani. I'm reading his Genis-Vell Captain Marvel run right now, still in the first half when age is is trying to learn how to be a hero, and it is seriously amazing. I cannot put it down, I'm just flying through. And Chriscross's art fits the story so well. I loved, LOVED David's Hulk and X-Factor runs, too. What the hell is he up to these days?

He's doing Scarlet Spider right now, he's been with Marvel forever it seems.

I'm sure you know that series is famous as part of a contest with Bill Jemas to see which series would last longer, Jemas betted on Marville.

Sandfox

Apparently people are assuming that Whitley is from some medium other than comics because of the target audience and content of work and are calling him a hack that doesn't care about comics. He's been nominated for multiple Eisners so that must say a lot about the people who "care" lol.

They have newer writers, it just takes time to build them up or get to that level. People like Zdarsky, Whitley, Thompson, Latour, Hastings, North and even Ryan Stegman is now writing. (I just realised how few females are on that list, that's a problem)

Pak is also doing good stuff in his corner of the world.

The problem is the constant events and shit events at that. I don't think a good event would even fix the problems right now. The line needs a clear direction first and go from there. But smaller writers are doing their best on their titles.

:/
The creative team changes in Legacy are intriguing so far and they need to keep working at it. We'll see if the rumors about upcoming creative teams and events end up being true.

mreddie

Whitney did some Pony comics and people are dismissing him, he got a film deal for one of his books, I'm sure he's from some other medium.

/s

He's dope as fuck. His Wasp run just pissed off the dudebros.

Apart from asking fans to pay his taxes that he dodged for nearly a decade, or self aggrandizing on twitter about how the rest of us should remember to think about both sides of the argument in the current political climate?

Probably continuing his poor Dark Tower adaptations.

Christian

Apart from asking fans to pay his taxes that he dodged for nearly a decade, or self aggrandizing on twitter about how the rest of us should remember to think about both sides of the argument in the current political climate?

Probably continuing his poor Dark Tower adaptations.

Aw, man. :(

Oh man, Volume 2 is such a huge improvement over Volume 1.

Can agree.

Typically if a writer follows on from someone and makes use of the previous writer's villains I get irked quickly unless they do something new and interesting. That is entirely subjective but personally the way Humphries does stuff in Vol 2 onward is fun and interesting and he begins to find his voice. You might not like his writing but I think it goes well with the juvenile optimism of Baz and Jessica at times, because my beef with Venditti's New 52 GL stuff was in his first arc he basically tried to ape Wrath of the First Lantern and it felt...bleh. To me.

Also!

Is Suicide Squad Rebirth any good? Debating picking it up. Cba to read JL for the Sucide Squad vs JL crossover because...well, I just have little interest in it (unless someone recommends it) but Suicide Squad looks cool...plus I just bought the DC Bombshells Katana Statue so I figure I need to read at least one comic with Katana in it to not look like a total tool.

Messi

Whitely's writing seems good though.

Why is he a hack?

He promotes strong women. To some people that makes him the enemy

Can agree.

Typically if a writer follows on from someone and makes use of the previous writer's villains I get irked quickly unless they do something new and interesting. That is entirely subjective but personally the way Humphries does stuff in Vol 2 onward is fun and interesting and he begins to find his voice. You might not like his writing but I think it goes well with the juvenile optimism of Baz and Jessica at times, because my f with Venditti's New 52 GL stuff was in his first arc he basically tried to ape Wrath of the First Lantern and it felt...bleh. To me.

Also!

Is Suicide Squad Rebirth any good? Debating picking it up. Cba to read JL for the Sucide Squad vs JL crossover because...well, I just have little interest in it (unless someone recommends it) but Suicide Squad looks cool...plus I just bought the DC Bombshells Katana Statue so I figure I need to read at least one comic with Katana in it to not look like a total tool.

Suicide Squad started off shaky but has gotten much better and is really good now. JL vs Suicide Squad is legitimately good.

Read the bombshells series. It's fucking fantastic.

Suicide Squad started off shaky but has gotten much better and is really good now. JL vs Suicide Squad is legitimately good.

Read the bombshells series. It's fucking fantastic.

Sweeet, will add it to my list.

Ty

Messi

Now that's just messed up.
Still my idea for a Janet and Pym and Whirlwind sitcom sounds ace.

What books have they written?

He's known for the Princeless series, Unstoppable Wasp, My little pony and recently co writing Avengers. He also did the best Secret Loves story about Misty and Danny.

Tizoc

Tizoc, did you turn into Raoh?

I've been a Hokuto mood for a long time now :V
hgP3jV2.jpg

Rebirth Red Hood & The Outlaws is too good for this world.

Considering how utterly mediocre I found the majority of Lobdell's New 52 output, I never thought I'd see this said about a book he authors.

I swear at this rate I'm gonna end up collecting every Rebirth trade and having to buy a new house just for books.

ElNarez

Banned
You know what I would like to see in the Suicide Squad book?
Lashina coming back as Duchess
and joining the team.

It sounds really good, but like

we already have the definitive Lashina story, I feel that's just setting yourself up for diminishing returns

Foofaraw

Can agree.

Typically if a writer follows on from someone and makes use of the previous writer's villains I get irked quickly unless they do something new and interesting. That is entirely subjective but personally the way Humphries does stuff in Vol 2 onward is fun and interesting and he begins to find his voice. You might not like his writing but I think it goes well with the juvenile optimism of Baz and Jessica at times, because my beef with Venditti's New 52 GL stuff was in his first arc he basically tried to ape Wrath of the First Lantern and it felt...bleh. To me.

So, I've read through Vol 3 last night. It is all so much better than Volume one. Even the art is better, including from the artists that seemed trash in Volume one.

At least for me, the problems with volume one have nothing to do with using the Red Lanterns. Sure, they are really bog standard GL villains, but they could have been involved in a good story. They weren't. The writing and characterization was incredibly week and it felt like Humphries might have been told he had to turn a 3 issue arc into a 6 issue arc to coincide with the double shipping. That's really giving Humphries the benefit of the doubt.

Volume two and beyond start giving the characters heart. And, by volume three, the art is starting to move slowly away from stringent DC House style. Simon and Jessica start to grow as characters and as partners. They still suck as Green Lanterns, but it's more endearing at this point than a hammer that beats the reader over the head.

The biggest bummer about Volume One of Green Lanterns is that it almost kept me from reading more. I'm a sucker for buddy cop style comics, and it seems obvious to have that dynamic with DCs official Space Cops.

Dudebros want an excuse why Marvel should be all white dudes again.

Because that worked out so well the last time.

I still don't understand why some people are so averse to equality. It should be the status quo at this point.

It sounds really good, but like

we already have the definitive Lashina story, I feel that's just setting yourself up for diminishing returns

I never even read anything with Lashina in it until the Darkseid special that just came out. I really can't wait for the Fourth World omnibus. I don't have much experience with Kirby books.

So, I've read through Vol 3 last night. It is all so much better than Volume one. Even the art is better, including from the artists that seemed trash in Volume one.

At least for me, the problems with volume one have nothing to do with using the Red Lanterns. Sure, they are really bog standard GL villains, but they could have been involved in a good story. They weren't. The writing and characterization was incredibly week and it felt like Humphries might have been told he had to turn a 3 issue arc into a 6 issue arc to coincide with the double shipping. That's really giving Humphries the benefit of the doubt.

Volume two and beyond start giving the characters heart. And, by volume three, the art is starting to move slowly away from stringent DC House style. Simon and Jessica start to grow as characters and as partners. They still suck as Green Lanterns, but it's more endearing at this point than a hammer that beats the reader over the head.

The biggest bummer about Volume One of Green Lanterns is that it almost kept me from reading more. I'm a sucker for buddy cop style comics, and it seems obvious to have that dynamic with DCs official Space Cops.

Yeah. I feel like Tom King was sorta similar with the first Batman Rebirth arc. I don't think they got told to extend them so much but I don't think King had double-shipped a book before and he was still writing other stuff at the time because they have such headroom from issues being done to shipping...but oh well.

I'm mildly pissed DC aren't doing Deluxe books of more of the Rebirth titles...it's not as if the first arc in Green Lanterns would benefit from the exposure that Deluxe books give to art, but I just like them as a package...getting 2 volumes in one, slightly bigger size etc..it's nice. Maybe they are doing more in America? It's a pet peeve but it gets annoying to collect trades if I say had Batman Deluxe, then like two paperbacks of Green Lanterns or something. I prefer them to be the same style.

Then again I wanted DC to print Snyder/Capullo's Batman run in Absolute format and, afaik, to date they've done nothing but Court of Owls. Zero Year's art was born for Absolutes.

rant over

Top Bottom