• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming Out On Top (An Adult Gay Dating Sim) |OT| I'm gay, high five!

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
I wonder if straight guys would play this game if they, I don't know, replaced all the naughty pics with naked women or something.

Labrys

Sat down and began playing this. Got through Ian and Brad's routes. Brad is my favorite, I really enjoy his character. His ending is also really sweet. Ian's was also pretty good, got a bit confusing towards the end.

Only critques so far is that if there's a sequel or anything like that I'd prefer some more varied body types, that and it seems a bit weird getting certain CG? I had to go through Brad's route twice to get all his and I still have one missing from Ian's. No biggie though.

I hope everyone who enjoyed this game will check out the next gay dating sim game coming to North America in two weeks, No, Thank You!!! (There will be an OT on GAF for it.)

As I mentioned before, I was very pleased with the turn out for this OT, and hope to see the support continue to grow for games like this.

halfbeast

Banned

downloaded that Succulent game, it went from juicy to HOLY SHIT I WILL NEVER HAVE SEX AGAIN! in just a minute...

giphy-13.gif

EulaCapra

Some Q&A:

Anonymous asked: Any plans to release a second game? Either new characters and setting or a continuance?

Well, I’ve got something a little crazy planned for 2016. But because it’s so far away, I can’t talk too much about it yet. ;)

At the moment, I’m finishing up and testing another COOT bonus scene. Once that’s finally out, I’ll be fully committed to working on the first two Brofinder dates as well as the secret relationship. (And several more Brofinder dates after that.)Note that these are all gonna be new guys, and I suspect they’ll take most of you by surprise. I can’t wait for you to meet them. :)
The Ballad of Brad for 2016???

Aw man, if only.. I liked the art style more. :T
There's a free demo on the official web site. You should give it a spin.

The disparity between the in-game sprites and the CGs can be a bit strange a times, but overall I think it works. And the writing & characters are really endearing.

And how much will NTY be? I have to settle with one, but which one?
$35 bucks if you pre-order before release. $40 regular.

No Thank You!!! is much longer though.

But I have the feeling NTY scenes have a different feel to it compared to this one, at least from what I've played from both demos.
COOT is a (mostly) light and breezy heartwarming/sexytime game. (There is some drama.) But NTY is much, much darker. It starts off silly, but as the story goes along it can get pretty twisted.

So I guess it depends on what mood you're in. I don't think you could go wrong with either one though.

No Thank You IMO also has a MUCH worse main character and only two viable romance options. Not terribly excited.
I'm not a huge fan of Haru (NTY's main) either, but he definitely has a more "distinct" personality you could say compared to Mark. (Though I think Mark is adorable.) And the fact that Haru's very identity is one of the mysteries of the game is pretty intriguing IMO, so I'm interested to see where that goes. (I know a few small things already.)

I'm assuming by "viable" you mean Kouichi and Maki. I definitely agree with you there, they are the two standouts for me also. But Hiroyuki grew on me in the demo, he's pretty cute and has an endearing personality. Still don't care much for Ryu at all, personality or looks wise.

I hope you'll still check out the OT though. :)

flowsnake

No Thank You IMO also has a MUCH worse main character and only two viable romance options. Not terribly excited.

It's also 30-50 hours long according to VNDB. COOT is probably a bit too short, but...I don't have time for that. Especially since I couldn't see the appeal in the demo.

red13th

I'm not a huge fan of Haru (NTY's main) either, but he definitely has a more "distinct" personality you could say compared to Mark. (Though I think Mark is adorable.) And the fact that Haru's very identity is one of the mysteries of the game is pretty intriguing IMO, so I'm interested to see where that goes. (I know a few small things already.)

I'm assuming by "viable" you mean Kouichi and Maki. I definitely agree with you there, they are the two standouts for me also. But Hiroyuki grew on me in the demo, he's pretty cute and has an endearing personality. Still don't care much for Ryu at all, personality or looks wise.

I will my friend! What about Dongsaeng's game, Super Health Club right, how is it doing?

It's also 30-50 hours long according to VNDB. COOT is probably a bit too short, but...I don't have time for that. Especially since I couldn't see the appeal in the demo.

That is very long, I suppose there are branching paths? HWS, my one true eroge, had two endings per character (the one you're nice to the guy and he falls in love with you, and the one you are evil and blackmail the guy into having sex with you), plus two harem endings (nice harem and evil harem). I missed that in COOT, but it does attempt to be far more verisimilar than Japanese eroge outside of the whole goldfish deal, so there's that.

I will my friend! What about Dongsaeng's game, Super Health Club right, how is it doing?
Still slogging through beta, but they finally got all the major bugs ironed out so they are moving along quicker now.

That is very long, I suppose there are branching paths? HWS, my one true eroge, had two endings per character (the one you're nice to the guy and he falls in love with you, and the one you are evil and blackmail the guy into having sex with you), plus two harem endings (nice harem and evil harem). I missed that in COOT, but it does attempt to be far more verisimilar than Japanese eroge outside of the whole goldfish deal, so there's that.
Hunks Work Shop! is my bara lifeblood. (I know we've talked about this before.)

If that game ever got an official English release, I'd collapse from overwhelming joy.

I feel like Haru's "distinct" personality will make him a more memorable main character to me vs. Mark. Mark was a cool guy, but clearly meant to be a more average protag with a bit of avatarring for the player. Haru, for better or for worse, is his own guy.

The other nice thing about NTY is that theres not only personality differences with the guys, but significant physical ones as well. While this means you probably wont be hardcore into everyone physically, it also means theres probably someone for every player to enjoy. COOT has almost all of the guys as being buff guys who enjoy their weights at the gym (though some more than others), and while I'm personally a fan of the look, I'm sure this isn't true for all players.

I will admit that NTY had caught my eye more than COOT did. It almost feels like a higher production experience (well as higher production as you can get for a VN) with the length, full voice acting, and an arguably more professional art style. In this sense it's probably fitting that ot costs 3x as much as COOT. I suppose time will tell if the higher cost is actually worth it in terms of plot and characters though.

I feel like Haru's "distinct" personality will make him a more memorable main character to me vs. Mark. Mark was a cool guy, but clearly meant to be a more average protag with a bit of avatarring for the player. Haru, for better or for worse, is his own guy.

The other nice thing about NTY is that theres not only personality differences with the guys, but significant physical ones as well. While this means you probably wont be hardcore into everyone physically, it also means theres probably someone for every player to enjoy. COOT has almost all of the guys as being buff guys who enjoy their weights at the gym (though some more than others), and while I'm personally a fan of the look, I'm sure this isn't true for all players.

NTY almost feels like a higher production experience (well as higher production as you can get for a VN) with the length, full voice acting, and an arguably more professional art style. In this sense it's probably fitting that ot costs 3x as much as COOT. I suppose time will tell if the higher cost is actually worth it in terms of plot and characters though. I will admit that NTY had caught my eye more than COOT did.
I'm super hyped for NTY. I think everything about it looks great.

I do think it's gonna set the bar really, really high for future BL/bara titles though. Not that it's a bad thing to do so, but finding suitable follow-ups might be a bit of a challenge. It's still a handful of gems in a sea of mediocrity.

red13th

The thing about having varied bodytypes also mean I'm getting half the bang for my buck since I doubt I'll play two of the four stories. It also means I'm slightly interested in a game I normally wouldn't (if all characters looked like the less manly men), so it depends on the point of view.
The gay eroge I played featured mostly similar builds for the guys (Hunks Work Shop had athletic guys, Ore to Mahou no Koibito had hugely muscular or bearish guys, Gai Mizuki's games have muscular guys) with variations on age, beard, hairstyles. Far less pronounced than NTY for sure but they weren't aiming for a broad crowd but to specific fans like me.

KiN0

Hunks Work Shop! is my bara lifeblood. (I know we've talked about this before.)

If that game ever got an official English release, I'd collapse from overwhelming joy.

I've seen a lot of censored pictures from this visual novel. Is the official version really that bad?

I've seen a lot of censored pictures from this visual novel. Is the official version really that bad?
If by "bad" you mean heavily pixelated, then yes. If it ever got a US release though there's a very strong possibility it would be uncensored.

KiN0

If by "bad" you mean heavily pixelated, then yes. If it ever got a US release though there's a very strong possibility it would be uncensored.

Yeah, I was talking about the pixelation. It's too bad because the pictures really suffer as a result.

Yeah, I was talking about the pixelation. It's too bad because the pictures really suffer as a result.
That's Japan for ya. Their censorship laws make no sense to me. Nowadays they seem a little more lax about most things. A lot of censorship, especially with printed media, is a lot more sparse, but it's still gonna be there. That's why official English releases are great because most of the time they can work with the original developers/artists to release it uncensored in the west.

Masanori, the artist of Hunks Work Shop!, is a bara legend. It would be amazing to see his work completely uncensored.

KiN0

That's Japan for ya. Their censorship laws make no sense to me. Nowadays they seem a little more lax about most things. A lot of censorship, especially with printed media, is a lot more sparse, but it's still gonna be there. That's why official English releases are great because most of the time they can work with the original developers/artists to release it uncensored in the west.

Masanori, the artist of Hunks Work Shop!, is a bara legend. It would be amazing to see his work completely uncensored.

I would settle for the little black bar at the tip of each penis if it meant we could get away from the pixelation.

I would settle for the little black bar at the tip of each penis if it meant we could get away from the pixelation.

It's far better than the pixelation so I don't complain, but I always found it weird that that counted as "censored and safe for pure eyes" in Japan. Some of those bars are so thin that they'd might as well not even be there.

Spiked

Neo Member
Just played through the new ending for Brad added with the latest update.... if I didn't already like Brad enough.

KiN0

This update delivered above and beyond. Just when I thought it was about to end on a high note, it went and gave another hot scene.

Top Bottom