• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming Out On Top (An Adult Gay Dating Sim) |OT| I'm gay, high five!

Harlequin

Ah, thanks for the reply - I sure hope so :D. I only recently got onboard with this game so I'm not exactly caught up with all the stuff that's been released. I assume that the download link I got when I bought it was for the most recent version of the game which was out at the time of purchase?

Ah, thanks for the reply - I sure hope so :D. I only recently got onboard with this game so I'm not exactly caught up with all the stuff that's been released. I assume that the download link I got when I bought it was for the most recent version of the game which was out at the time of purchase?
The download link will always have the most recent version, so just make sure to hold onto it.

EulaCapra

Not gonna lie, was hoping one of the extra CGs would be another Brad/Mark ending. Or just extra lines like how Brad would get into the NFL.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
The demo got updated to better reflect the final quality of the game. Also a Paypal option has been added for buying the game, but it's censored. But the censored version is moddable back to the original.

Labrys

The demo got updated to better reflect the final quality of the game. Also a Paypal option has been added for buying the game, but it's censored. But the censored version is moddable back to the original.

Maybe they can pull a Huniepop now and get it on Steam? I'm sure that'd up the income quite a bit.

Monocle

Football fantasy, Brad plays "wide receiver". 3 new CGs.
G3Qc4pn.png

Hot.

So guys which one is better: This or NTY?
Depends on what you're looking for.

COOT is lighthearted and breezy, relying mostly on comedy. The H scenes are sexy, but brief. Funny writing and endearing characters.

NTY starts off silly but slowly becomes very dark and twisted. The cast (besides the MC IMO) is really strong and the overall story is quite interesting, but there is a fair deal of disturbing content present in the game, some of which made me quite uncomfortable personally. There isn't really any happy endings. The H scenes are very long, and some of them may be offputting to people. (Myself included.)

nickcv

Depends on what you're looking for.

COOT is lighthearted and breezy, relying mostly on comedy. The H scenes are sexy, but brief. Funny writing and endearing characters.

NTY starts off silly but slowly becomes very dark and twisted. The cast (besides the MC IMO) is really strong and the overall story is quite interesting, but there is a fair deal of disturbing content present in the game, some of which made me quite uncomfortable personally. There isn't really any happy endings. The H scenes are very long, and some of them may be offputting to people. (Myself included.)

That sounds rather worrying. Are there any other visual novel in the genre that are purchasable by English speaking people?

That sounds rather worrying. Are there any other visual novel in the genre that are purchasable by English speaking people?
I assume by "worrying" you're referring to NTY. If it's something you're concerned about, I'd recommend doing more research on it. I know people that really enjoyed the game too, and for the most part, I would agree with them, but there are some instances where it crosses the line for me personally, and that's why anyone not familiar with the scope of the game's content should prepare themselves. (I went into it a bit naive, and that's no one's fault but my own.)

COOT is still a great option though for anyone looking for a good BL VN in English. As long as you're cool with the sex scenes (which at their kinkiest are still nothing that crosses any lines IMO), I think you'd really like it. As for other games though, there's a few on the horizon. Super Health Club is due out this year sometime. (Tentatively.) And there's a VN/RPG hybrid for smart phones that was just announced called Fantastic Boyfriends: Legends of Midearth that will be starting a crowdfunding campaign later this spring, which I'm really looking forward to.

There was another Korean BL game that was just announced by Sekai Project for the west (the name escapes me), but the subject matter of that one is on the dark side again.

IvorB

Today is the day. I said 'fuck it', downloaded a walkthrough and tonight I'm gonna be getting the Ian ending one way or another. Wish me luck! (though I probably don't need it since I'm using a guide ha ha!) :)

Bear fans rejoice, the new datable dude has been revealed...

dEXFUOw.jpg

His name is Amos, and he'll be added to the game (for free!) in the nearish future.

Rheon

So I discovered this game yesterday and I've already played through it four times lol. Each time I played through I always found something new which was really fun. It's very entertaining and well illustrated, and definitely well worth the purchase.

Hot guys too, Jad, Ian and Brad are my favourites. :D

Razmos

Yeah the bear dude doesn't really do it for me either, but I'm glad there is a bit more diversity in the body types now (even though Brad, Ian and Jed are all I need)

moozoom

Bear fans rejoice, the new datable dude has been revealed...

dEXFUOw.jpg

His name is Amos, and he'll be added to the game (for free!) in the nearish future.

My type, exactly. Can't wait for that update !

I love how she add things to the game regularly, thanks Obscura !

alphatrainer

Neo Member
Just updated to the new version and played the new Brad scene. That was intense. Hope there's more of these updates coming for the rest of the cast.

Mr_Zombie

I finally bought the full version (played the demo some time ago) and that was a short but fun ride. I ended up with Jed. Dunno how, because I had never planned to be with him - it just happened
(started with a private bukake session, then there were few gigs and before you know it we ended up making out in a toilet cubicle just before his piano competition).
. My interactions with other guys ended quickly -
I never went anywhere with Alex (the wet dream was all I shared with him ;_;), Phil hated me for how I acted during his dad's party (damn you Ian and your stupid hat and your stupid pills), Brad just disappeared after I wrote a paper for him and Ian was just a friend all along.

I love how customizable the game is. Beard and body hair is one thing, but condom mode on/off? Now that's something you rarely see in games. :D

About the CG discussion - I love them. Sure, there's a sudden change of artstyle (and from what I saw, only Ian look really different, almost unrecognizable) but I like them. Obscura's art is nice, but I don't think her artworks would feel right for those hot erotic scenes. Her characters are way too cartoony (especially their facial expressions) - it works for conversations, but would probably look so-so for those important moments. Plus, some of her characters look off. It's obvious she focused on Mark, datetable guys (although Brad looks too goofy, I prefer his CG version) and Penny. For example, Beau and the other guy that lives with Brad were just drawn ugly.

The important question now is: how do I end up in Brad's pants? In the demo I refused to wrote papers for him and he just told me to leave, so I thought accepting to cheat was what I should do. However, during my playthrough I wrote that damn essay for him and all I got was a sneak peek of him working out (and yes, I turned on the heater - why wouldn't I?). After I handed him the first paper I've never heard from him. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I ended up with Brad. He's hot. <3

IvorB

IMy interactions with other guys ended quickly -
Phil hated me for how I acted during his dad's party (damn you Ian and your stupid hat and your stupid pills)

This was me too. It was f**king hilarious though so well worth it. That guy seemed like a douche anyway.

Mr_Zombie

This was me too. It was f**king hilarious though so well worth it. That guy seemed like a douche anyway.

Well, as it turned out, following all Ian's tips was the key to Phil's heart (or at least a VIP's heart who is important for Phil's father's charity). ;)

After few playthroughs I have all Phil's CGs, almost all Ian's, one missing from Brad's route and a lot missing from Jed's and Alex's. It seems Jed has a lot of optional sex scenes (why am I not surprised?) and Alex... I have a problem with this scenario. While fantasizing about teacher-student dating is great (especially when your teacher looks like a Norse god wearing glasses), actually dating your teacher seems awkward. It's even more weird and, let's say, immoral when you consider the story in Alex's scenario.

IvorB

Well, as it turned out, following all Ian's tips was the key to Phil's heart (or at least a VIP's heart who is important for Phil's father's charity). ;)

After few playthroughs I have all Phil's CGs, almost all Ian's, one missing from Brad's route and a lot missing from Jed's and Alex's. It seems Jed has a lot of optional sex scenes (why am I not surprised?) and Alex... I have a problem with this scenario. While fantasizing about teacher-student dating is great (especially when your teacher looks like a Norse god wearing glasses), actually dating your teacher seems awkward. It's even more weird and, let's say, immoral when you consider the story in Alex's scenario.

What, you never fancied some private lessons? :) I only did the Ian playthrough so I might go through again and get Alex. It is an ethical grey area but it's university so it seems fine to me since it's all adults involved.

Memento

This game... is relevant to my interests.

There is a problem though. My mother uses my computer so... yeah, what should I do? :/

A Android version would do it, but I don't think the game is coming to it, is it?

Mr_Zombie

What, you never fancied some private lessons? :) I only did the Ian playthrough so I might go through again and get Alex. It is an ethical grey area but it's university so it seems fine to me since it's all adults involved.

I would get into Alex's pants any moment, but the main plot in his route is
that the student-teacher relationship is viewed as a really grey area and at one point he is being blackmailed for it
so it really seems wrong to pursue after him.
And to get Alex's good ending,
i.e. getting into the relationship after the semester ends
requires a lot of tact. I've tried twice now and wasn't able to get it. :(

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

There is a problem though. My mother uses my computer so... yeah, what should I do? :/

A Android version would do it, but I don't think the game is coming to it, is it?
Create a new user account with a password?

IvorB

Um... you could hide or password protect it...

I would get into Alex's pants any moment, but the main plot in his route is
that the student-teacher relationship is viewed as a really grey area and at one point he is being blackmailed for it
so it really seems wrong to pursue after him.
And to get Alex's good ending,
i.e. getting into the relationship after the semester ends
requires a lot of tact. I've tried twice now and wasn't able to get it. :(

Oh that actually sounds interesting. It just highlights how much content there is in the game that I haven't even seen. I just use walkthroughs now though. I played legit for the first time and I got to the end of the game with literally nothing :-(. I may as well have been playing as a monk. I don't really want to invest a bunch of time and walk away empty-handed again.

Memento

Create a new user account with a password?

Um... you could hide or password protect it...

Oh that actually sounds interesting. It just highlights how much content there is in the game that I haven't even seen. I just use walkthroughs now though. I played legit for the first time and I got to the end of the game with literally nothing :-(. I may as well have been playing as a monk. I don't really want to invest a bunch of time and walk away empty-handed again.

Hahah, yeah I think this is kind of obvious for some outsider, but I actually have never had other account on the PC. It would be very weird to create one now and she would be very suspicious. She has this weird thing that turns my need of privacy into something potentially bad. For example, the facebook account: I don't have the habit of logging off from it, so it is open every moment even when she is using the computer. Sometimes she sees my messages, and really, I don't have a problem at all with that. The problem is, sometimes you need your privacy, and because of our very intimate relationship, she instantly thinks I'm doing something bad/wrong. Maybe it is kind of my fault because I give her too much freedom, but then again, she is like my best friend and I don't want to lose that. So yeah... I don't know. I'm still 18 years old though. She is still realizing I'm growing up I guess, hahah.

Top Bottom