• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common misconceptions that you believed for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeks

That our tongues have different areas for different tastes.

This stems from an oversimplification of the neurological basis for taste perception. Essentially, there are chemical receptors at the surface of the tongue that aren't homogeneously distributed, hence the idea of 'zones.'

Edit: A lot of what is taught in science in high school are sorts of place holders that give the gestalt of complex biological processes.

I used to think the expression was "You want your cake and eat it, too." The actual expression is "You want to eat your cake and have it to."

Xiaoki

Food misconceptions

Turkey has a VERY low chance to make you sleepy

Coffee beans are seeds

Peanuts are legumes

Cashews are seeds(and poisonous)

The pronunciation of the word "forte" when used as a synonym of "skill".

Most people say "for-tay" but the correct pronunciation is one syllable: "fort".

(In the context of musical notation though it is pronounced "for-tay".)

HTupolev

Most people say "for-tay" but the correct pronunciation is one syllable: "fort".
Define "correct."

The vast majority of English speakers will be confused or think you're saying it wrong, and "fort" doesn't align very well with the original French pronunciation anyway. For practical intents and purposes, the two "fortes" have coalesced into a single word in English with two connotation-separated uses. Which is arguably a pretty clean outcome, especially since they had the same Latin root in the first place.

A few dictionaries happen to disagree? Whatever.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I have a shit load of these but luckily the 'being thirsty means you're already too late' never made sense to me.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/rehydrating-with-an-appeal-to-nature/
The most current science seems to suggest, perhaps unsurprisingly, that we may be taking our obsession with hydration a bit too far. Alex Hutchinson is my go-to source of knowledge on sport science (buy his book; I did) and he writes regularly on hydration and exercise. My own understanding on the current science of hydration in sports has changed, informed in part by scientists like Alex. Like many other fields, the evidence keeps emerging, but the current science-based approach seems to be as follows:

“Drink according to your thirst” seems to be the most practical approach to hydration. You don’t need to hydrate if you’re not thirsty. This advice is relevant to both day-to-day activities as well as athletics. There is no need to drink a specific amount of water per day, nor is there a requirement to drink constantly while you exercise.
Mild dehydration doesn’t appear to impair performance in endurance athletes.
Overhydration in sports, particularly in slower long-distance runners that may ignore the above, is a real risk. Overhydration combined with exercise can lead to hyponatremia (low sodium), which can be a serious medical issue.
In general, sugary beverages provide calories but not satiety, so they should be consumed in moderation. In most cases, water is probably the perfect beverage for hydration, exercise or otherwise.
For long-duration endurance sports, some carbohydrate (like sugar) may be helpful. While some electrolytes may be helpful, you don’t need your hydration beverage to contain vitamins. You generally don’t need to worry about carbohydrates and electrolytes during a soccer game or similar short sporting events.
When it comes to athletics, there’s a lot of interesting science that continues to challenge what we think we know about hydration. Researchers continue to explore the differences between thirst sensations, dehydration, and performance. Expectations about hydration, and thirst, may influence performance more than ones hydration status itself.

boxter432

I used to think the expression was "You want your cake and eat it, too." The actual expression is "You want to eat your cake and have it to."

The common wording is "have your cake and eat it too"

Lol at fort/fortay even if correct:
Lebron James is playing golf but it's not his fort.

Reeks

The common wording is "have your cake and eat it too"

Lol at fort/fortay even if correct:
Lebron James is playing golf but it's not his fort.
Yes but order is incorrect. You *can* have your cake and eat it too. But you cannot eat your cake and have it, too.

Kenstar

Yes but order is incorrect. You *can* have your cake and eat it too. But you cannot eat your cake and have it, too.

'Have' as in ' I had a good breakfast today' meaning 'ate' and not indicating possession

"You can't have your cake and eat it (too) is a popular English idiomatic proverb or figure of speech. The proverb literally means "you cannot simultaneously retain your cake and eat it". Once the cake is eaten, it is gone. It can be used to say that one cannot or should not have or want more than one deserves or is reasonable, or that one cannot or should not try to have two incompatible things. The proverb's meaning is similar to the phrases "you can't have it both ways" and "you can't have the best of both worlds."

Many people misunderstand the meanings of "have" and "eat" as used here but still understand the proverb in its entirety and intent and use it in this form. Some people feel this form of the proverb is incorrect and illogical and instead prefer "you can't eat your cake and [then still] have it", which is in fact closer to the original form of the proverb (see further explanations below) but uncommon today. Other rare variants use "keep" instead of "have".

Having to choose whether to have or eat your cake illustrates the concept of trade-offs or opportunity cost."

Apparently dogs dont sleep outside in doghouses.

Life sucks now

This was once more true. Even when I was a kid (80s), my grandmother had a German Shepard that slept outside in the dog house except when it got really cold.

It's a weird thing now. This was also the time when neighborhoods has neighborhood dogs that just walked around all day with no supervision.

(In the context of musical notation though it is pronounced "for-tay".)

That's not true. The Latin neuter of Fortis, strong, is Forte and in Latin that's pronounced​ Four-tay (similar to the sound of the e in Ecce Homine). It would make as much sense to pronounce it that way in English because English is not a gendered language.

Plus there's no body that governs pronounciations in English as in some other languages, so fortay is as correct as fort is. And I'd imagine the majority of English speakers say fortay.

I thought that there were two separate words, "Epitome" and "Epitome."
  • Epitome: Pronounced like "Epi - Tome," and I thought that it was a word that would be a synonym for "Zenith," sort of like "epicenter" is the central point of something, I thought that the word epi-tome meant like the highest point of something.
  • Epitome: Pronounced like how it's pronounced by normal humans (eh-pit-tomy), which means a perfect example of something.

Couple with the guitar maker, this then fucked up my spelling/comprehension of the word Epiphany and Epiphone. For years, I assumed that the guitar maker's name was pronounced like Epiphany, because why not (Epitome... Epiphone), and would regularly misspell the word Epiphany as Epiphone.

For years I also misused the word Aloof. My wife had to beat it into me. I'd always used aloof as sort of meaning like "out to lunch" or "in my own head" or disconnected.

"Hey, did you see the end of that Xavier game last night?"
"Oh, jeez, no I missed it I was aloof and then the game was over."

When in fact, it means cold and distant. There is some cross-over but it definitely has a more negative connotation than I've used it as, which I always meant it as sort of passive or calmly disinterested.

Such a poorly thought out diagram, so common in classrooms even today! Although I'm talking up to my teenage years when I realised it made no sense.

Taste2.png

Yeah I didn't know this wasn't a thing until recently. For whatever reason I was taught believing this.

Relating to the tongue and taste misconception, I always thought "spicy" was one of the five basic tastes the tongue can pick up, but it's actually sensed by pain receptors. The fifth basic taste is umami.

W-00

Eating Carrots Will Improve Your Vision

Fact: Carrots are high in vitamin A, a nutrient essential for good vision. Eating carrots will provide you with the small amount of vitamin A needed for good vision, but vitamin A isn't limited to rabbit food; it can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolk, and liver.

That carrots are actually good for rabbits. They aren't. The whole "Rabbits love carrots" thing probably came from Bugs Bunny imitating Clark Gable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom