• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Legend of Heroes Zero no Kiseki Coming to PlayStation Vita

Grimmy

Banned
I don't know in this specific case, but generally if you license something all things you create for that license are usually the property of the license owner. XSEED licensed Falcom's games and are translating them, therefore Falcom probably owns their translation. IIRC XSEED's script for HMH was used for the XBLA game, as well as Acquire's self published iOS ports of Wizardry. XSEED had nothing to do with either release.

That's not how it works, as far as I know. XSEED most likely licensed their translation out in both of those cases. It seems impossible for them to get no credit nor cut from their own translation work.

Okay? You use NPD data to get a good grasp of the sales of the game. If HMH sold 1200 copies in the NPD report I don't think Aksys will suddenly think 10,000 must've been sold on PSN and Wal-Mart. Especially given Aksys had actually released PSP PSN exclusive titles and have seen their sales potential first hand.

Edit: Just before anyone freaks out, I don't know HMH's sales. The stuff in my post are just made up numbers.

I'm just correcting your assumption than NPD somehow is the final word on sales. It's a decent approximation, but not the total number. I never played Jikandia, but it looks like it required next to zero localization - even less than HMH.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess this turned into a thread about the series given the issues with it in English.

Honestly I don't think anything beyond SC has much of a chance of getting an English release, and that will be the PC version if it happens. Best bet is probably fan translations, but even then as big as these games are that's pretty much out of the question.

I think I said it in one of these threads, but if you really want to play this series you need to learn Japanese. If SC gets released, who is going to be content stopping there knowing there are 3+ games continuing after it? And even if the rest of the games continue to get localized, the English releases will never be able to catch up with the Japanese ones. XSeed seems to be able to localize one in the time Falcom can release two. They'll just get further behind to the point games will need to be skipped or ported to a more relevant platform just for the western release.

I'm sure that doesn't sound like a great answer for a lot of people, but it makes more sense to put the effort into learning to play the Japanese games rather than mope around forums hoping for miracles. I mean, by the time Zero even would get released (I'd guess 5 or so years), with enough dedication you could probably get through it in Japanese, albeit probably with a kanji dictionary. If you waited for the English release that means you're stuck waiting and hoping Ao gets released after a couple more years. If you got through it in Japanese, you can just import the sequel.

Not to mention all the other companies dropping the ball on localization, a trend that doesn't look like it's going to end soon. As someone who uses consoles primarily for Japanese games, I'm getting tired of being disappointed and hoping somebody picks up these games I'm interested in, or if all else fails, hoping fans pick up the slack.

Personally, I really want the opportunity to play these games. While I doubt I'll manage to stick with the language long enough, I'd rather put some effort into it myself and at least attempt rather than just hope for something to happen.

Sorry that's kind of ranty. And I typed this on my phone so it's probably full of typos.

Edit: and the post below just adds to the point I made, the series will never catch up in English. If anything threads like this are just motivation to keep learning.

Grimmy

Banned
Great, the next, NEXT game is already in the works! Very interesting report though about the new game, and how they plan to do the same with Ao no Kiseki. And trophies! Thanks andriasang!

http://andriasang.com/comzw3/next_kiseki/

Big news from Dengeki PlayStation this week. It appears that the next next Kiseki game is in the works. That's right, not the "next" Kiseki game, but the "next next" one.

The "next" game in the Kiseki branch of the Legend of Heroes franchise was previously announced as Nayuta no Kiseki. This is in development for PSP.

In Dengeki this week, Falcom CEO Toshihiro Kondo said that Nayuta no Kiseki is taking shape. However, the next Kiseki game is also starting up, he said.

The inverview with Kondo was part of a feature on the PlayStation Vita version of Zero no Kiseki, which is now fully known as Legend of Heroes Zero No Kiseki Evolution. Chara-ani producer Tadakazu Hiraga and Pyramid CEO Ken Nakano also sat in on the interview.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Will I be able to understand this without playing the previous games in the series? :(

iavi

Great, the next, NEXT game is already in the works! Very interesting report though about the new game, and how they plan to do the same with Ao no Kiseki. And trophies! Thanks andriasang!

http://andriasang.com/comzw3/next_kiseki/

Big news from Dengeki PlayStation this week. It appears that the next next Kiseki game is in the works. That's right, not the "next" Kiseki game, but the "next next" one.

The "next" game in the Kiseki branch of the Legend of Heroes franchise was previously announced as Nayuta no Kiseki. This is in development for PSP.

In Dengeki this week, Falcom CEO Toshihiro Kondo said that Nayuta no Kiseki is taking shape. However, the next Kiseki game is also starting up, he said.

The inverview with Kondo was part of a feature on the PlayStation Vita version of Zero no Kiseki, which is now fully known as Legend of Heroes Zero No Kiseki Evolution. Chara-ani producer Tadakazu Hiraga and Pyramid CEO Ken Nakano also sat in on the interview.

Milk it, milk it good.

Eusis

Will I be able to understand this without playing the previous games in the series? :(
It sounds like it, but if you understand Japanese I'd just go with the other games first THEN get to this.

And next NEXT Kiseki? Actually, I wonder if this means Nayuta is meant to start a separate series, likely one easier to export, whereas this next game continues the currently established world.

I was saying earlier today on twitter that Falcom saying they're making another Kiseki game is pretty much non-news at this point. It'd be way more surprising (and disappointing) if they said they weren't!

After beating Ao back in early October, I was discussing theories etc with omgfloofy and pretty much described the series as such; each game is essentially one season of television. There is an overall story to the season that gets solved over the 20+ episodes, all the while laying hints, clues and plot details about the underlying narrative that runs through all 7 seasons or whatever. Sure, you could jump in at season 4, but the show will assume you know what's been going on up until now.

Some might consider this a flaw, but it's part of what makes the Kiseki games so unique. The amount of layers that has gone into building the world, characters and narrative is quite extraordinary for the genre.

My best example, without spoiling anything, is an event that takes place in Zero. If you haven't played at least SC and 3rd, the sequence isn't nearly as satisfying or emotionally engaging. The game does not attempt to feed you awkward context for it, instead assuming that you already know what's going on.

Honestly, it's kind of hard to explain what's so damn appealing about the franchise when a big part of its appeal is in its serial narrative.

Aeana

At least, unlike the Chinese version, we can expect this to run without crazy-go-nuts DRM and sound issues, and control issues all over the place. That's the only reason why I've not touched it. I apparently can't even install it on one machine- and I uninstalled it and unregistered it from the other machine that was having the sound problems, now I can't reinstall it BACK to that machine

Really. From my experience, the Chinese version is a complete and total mess. The only good thing about it IS the graphics. And I can't even go digging around in it because it's all locked down like you wouldn't believe by SecuRom 8.

Yeah, I have the game and have played some of it. I had intended to play that version instead of the PSP one, but changed my mind about an hour in. You can actually get at the files if you get them out of memory while the game is running, though. You can also replace the files with the ones from the PSP version and most of the game will be in Japanese.

My biggest disappointment with the version is actually that it doesn't even run at a stable framerate. Really lame.

RyougaSaotome said:
My best example, without spoiling anything, is an event that takes place in Zero. If you haven't played at least SC and 3rd, the sequence isn't nearly as satisfying or emotionally engaging. The game does not attempt to feed you awkward context for it, instead assuming that you already know what's going on.
This was actually my favorite part in all of Zero. :(

Maedhros

After playing Ys Origin on PC, I will buy anything Falcom makes in the future. I hope XSEED do the localization of most of their games. (At least the YS series).

I'm very interested in this series too. I heard a lot of great things about it. Will play it on my Vita (the money for it is already reserved).

omgfloofy

Banned
Yeah, I have the game and have played some of it. I had intended to play that version instead of the PSP one, but changed my mind about an hour in. You can actually get at the files if you get them out of memory while the game is running, though. You can also replace the files with the ones from the PSP version and most of the game will be in Japanese.

My biggest disappointment with the version is actually that it doesn't even run at a stable framerate. Really lame.

From what I've heard, actually, different versions of the game run on different scales of DRM. (There are three that I've heard of so far: Mainland, Hong Kong, and Taiwan- there's probably more, too...) I got the hacker of Eidenyaku try to break into a version of the game- which he was unable to do so, completely. Which is really sad. :(

I've tried the route you mentioned, as well. No dice on my part.

I feel awful for saying this, but the people who keep saying that XSEED should just forego the games on PSP and release the PC versions... I then tell them that the game will stop at 3rd at that point. When they point out this release of Zero, I don't think it helps in the slightest, because I wouldn't *want* that version to be released here over the PSP version.

Sure, it might be prettier, but at least we'd have a version that's fully functional for all consumers with the PSP release.

luca1980

Banned
I hope you own an iOS device!

i have it. And also a psp and in the future a vita.. now can i really have them in english?

Besides it remains to be seen whatever type of game will be sora no kiseki 1\2\3 on iphone: will it retain all gameplay elements of trails or something will be capped?

it: i want to see the first screens of this new port

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It sounds like it, but if you understand Japanese I'd just go with the other games first THEN get to this.
Funny thing is, either I'm blind, or SC isn't available in the Vita's PSP store. All the other games in the series are, including FC and 3rd.

.la1n

http://www.zero-full.com/

This is no longer a rumor. "Event Full Voice Edition"!

success.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Funny thing is, either I'm blind, or SC isn't available in the Vita's PSP store. All the other games in the series are, including FC and 3rd.

It's not on PSN at all due to issues with how it handles UMD swapping.

And that's a big reason in why it will probably never get released in North America on PSP.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's possible (Square-Enix did it with Type-0).

That's not really comparable, Type-0 is one disc swap mid-game. SnK SC has the game world divided between the two UMDs, so you swap between them frequently.

The swapping isn't handled the same, SC was never developed with PSN in mind since it was released about the same time Sony announced downloadable PSP games.

Edit: Although there is a way to do it with homebrew, but it would probably require a system update, and Sony probably isn't going to push out a system update for one game.

Aeana

From what I've heard, actually, different versions of the game run on different scales of DRM. (There are three that I've heard of so far: Mainland, Hong Kong, and Taiwan- there's probably more, too...) I got the hacker of Eidenyaku try to break into a version of the game- which he was unable to do so, completely. Which is really sad. :(

I've tried the route you mentioned, as well. No dice on my part.

I feel awful for saying this, but the people who keep saying that XSEED should just forego the games on PSP and release the PC versions... I then tell them that the game will stop at 3rd at that point. When they point out this release of Zero, I don't think it helps in the slightest, because I wouldn't *want* that version to be released here over the PSP version.

Sure, it might be prettier, but at least we'd have a version that's fully functional for all consumers with the PSP release.

I have the simplified Chinese version, which is useless to me since I can only read traditional characters, but I came up with a way to get all of the files out while the game is running, so I actually have full dumps of not only the simplified version, but also the traditional version, since I got a friend to run it as well on their version. The files are in the exact same format as the Japanese PSP stuff, and are interchangable. To use the PSP files, you have to run the game in Japanese mode via AppLocale and replace the font file, but it works great for all text except menu stuff, which is stored in the EXE. The game actually happily loads nonDRMed files just great.

But yeah, the port itself is very poor, and I am not sure it's worth messing with anymore, especially in the face of the Vita version.

luca1980

Banned
but it makes more sense to put the effort into learning to play the Japanese games rather than mope around forums hoping for miracles.

with enough dedication you could probably get through it in Japanese, albeit probably with a kanji dictionary.
i was starting to think about it....than i saw hiragana\katakana and kanji and so on and i thought it was beyond my strenghts without lessons on grammar and so on........i'll try yet it's difficult imho...

Yeah, I was thinking it'd be a lot more interesting to learn while playing then just sitting around doing nothing, and if that works, I'll be able to do other things too.

Macstorm

I've love to find a way to rip the Japanese out of SC, The 3rd, Zero, Ao, and patch in some Google translated English. It would be like playing Namco Bandai's Gagharv trilogy all over.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've love to find a way to rip the Japanese out of SC, The 3rd, Zero, Ao, and patch in some Google translated English. It would be like playing Namco Bandai's Gagharv trilogy all over.

Probably about the same as Aeria's version will be. Not sure if that's better than nothing or not.

i was starting to think about it....than i saw hiragana\katakana and kanji and so on and i thought it was beyond my strenghts without lessons on grammar and so on........i'll try yet it's difficult imho...
Didn't say it would be easy, just that it's better than hoping and doing nothing else. There's a topic for learning Japanese in OT, but I haven't really looked at it much. I'm just using a phone app that introduces the language for right now, useful since I can take it anywhere with me. Will get more stuff like books and whatnot soon.

I took Thursday off so that I can report on it. BUT. Since it's on Nicodouga... Timeshift it! You can then watch it later if you do so. :D

Sweet!

Didn't say it would be easy, just that it's better than hoping and doing nothing else. There's a topic for learning Japanese in OT, but I haven't really looked at it much. I'm just using a phone app that introduces the language for right now, useful since I can take it anywhere with me. Will get more stuff like books and whatnot soon.

I'd just option for Rosetta Stone if I had my own laptop.

omgfloofy

Banned
I'd just option for Rosetta Stone if I had my own laptop.

If you get the chance, get the following things: A Nelson kanji dictionary, and Japanese for Busy People.

The Nelson dictionary will not be easy to use at all, but if you start working with it, you can learn radical lookup with kanji (this will help with things in the future with knowing Japanese, I think). Then the back has supplemental sections on kanji by 'grade' so you can study them. My JSL classes I took used Japanese for Busy People as the textbooks. I really like them and the approaches they use, as well.

Then if you're watching anime, try to watch it in Japanese, using what you've been reading to help augment what you're listening to.

While Rosetta Stone is a great resource, it's totally possible to learn without it. It just takes discipline and work (which would be the same with Rosetta Stone anyway.)

Aeana

If auto-translation is really good enough for you, there are absolutely ways to do this. With the PC versions of the Kiseki games, you can use an app called AGTH which will hook the text routines in the game and auto-copy it to the clipboard for quick auto-translation. I've never used any of this stuff myself, but I have a friend who played Zwei 2 that way and she said it worked fine.

I personally think you'd miss out on a ton of stuff if you did it that way, but I guess it is at least a last resort sort of option.

I'm still personally resolved to see these translations done one way or another. Floofy's optimism is infectious, I suppose, so I'm willing to wait just a little bit longer, but I've already done a little bit of translation in the meanwhile.

If you get the chance, get the following things: A Nelson kanji dictionary, and Japanese for Busy People.

The Nelson dictionary will not be easy to use at all, but if you start working with it, you can learn radical lookup with kanji (this will help with things in the future with knowing Japanese, I think). Then the back has supplemental sections on kanji by 'grade' so you can study them. My JSL classes I took used Japanese for Busy People as the textbooks. I really like them and the approaches they use, as well.

Thanks for the tips!

Then if you're watching anime, try to watch it in Japanese, using what you've been reading to help augment what you're listening to.

Well, the first time I saw the Professor Layton movie it was in Japanese with no subs. While I did misunderstand some dialouge I was able to understand the majority of plot, and given the plots of Layton games, I think this might be worth saying. :)

EDIT: The Inazuma Eleven anime also helps me because they practically say the same thing in almost every episode.

omgfloofy

Banned
Thanks for the tips!

Not a problem! I got very frustrated with my Nelson dictionary when I first got it, and refused to touch it fairly often, but I eventually went back to it and started looking up any kanji I didn't know.

Learning to use the radical lookup for kanji has helped me *so* much over the years.

Well, the first time I saw the Professor Layton movie it was in Japanese with no subs. While I did misunderstand some dialouge I was able to understand the majority of plot, and given the plots of Layton games, I think this might be worth saying. :)

EDIT: The Inazuma Eleven anime also helps me because they practically say the same thing in almost every episode.

That's a very good thing. Definitely listen carefully to what you're watching, and perhaps pick up some manga that utilizes furigana. That will help a LOT with kanji recognition as well. (A very very important thing is learn your hiragana and katakana as quickly as possible, if you haven't yet. This will help a whole lot as well.)

Aeana

If you have an Android phone, there's a free app called Aedict that hooks up to EDICT and other similar dictionaries, and also has kanji lookup by handwriting, so that's another handy option if you need it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If you have an Android phone, there's a free app called Aedict that hooks up to EDICT and other similar dictionaries, and also has kanji lookup by handwriting, so that's another handy option if you need it.

Oooh, shit... I'll have to check this out next time I want to play some obscure Japanese PCE game...

I'm still personally resolved to see these translations done one way or another. Floofy's optimism is infectious, I suppose, so I'm willing to wait just a little bit longer, but I've already done a little bit of translation in the meanwhile.

If nothing else, this. I've volunteered my time toward helping with translation on other sites before as well, if the time comes.

B.K.

I wonder if XSEED will announce and cancel this one, like Trails in the Sky Second and Final Chapters.

I wonder if XSEED will announce and cancel this one, like Trails in the Sky Second and Final Chapters.

Oh shit. I wish I was privy to that kind of information! Source?

Hell, I didn't even know Falcom was working on Trails in the Sky Final Chapter. =0

DiscoJer

While that's pretty much true, at least Bandai brought over all three games. I don't think the sales of the second one justified the third, I think someone there was just being nice.

Eusis

Oh shit. I wish I was privy to that kind of information! Source?

Hell, I didn't even know Falcom was working on Trails in the Sky Final Chapter. =0
I think he's just being an asshole. Most likely if they announce this specifically we'd see it, it's when games are announced together there's a risk for problems.

While that's pretty much true, at least Bandai brought over all three games. I don't think the sales of the second one justified the third, I think someone there was just being nice.
They probably also had to pay virtually nothing for localization given the quality of those translations. That, and they came at a time when the PSP didn't seem to be dead.

I think he's just being an asshole. Most likely if they announce this specifically we'd see it, it's when games are announced together there's a risk for problems.

Haha, no worries, I was just being sarcastic.

Also, do those Bandai ports even qualify as being localized? They read like someone put the games through google translate.

duckroll

http://dps.dengeki.com/new/

Dengeki's official preview of the latest issue has thumbnail previews of the article. As usual, they're super small:

3oEen.jpg

Hopefully an official preview article goes online later today or some time tomorrow.

Edit: Oh, I completely forgot that in 2-3 hours they'll be streaming the announcement conference on NicoVideo today. I guess the articles and official site will go live after that.

MCD

OK OK.

I am confused as fuck by this whole series.

Is this the same game on PSP that bought and still didn't play? A sequel? Or what exactly?

Bebpo

Banned
upgraded version of the 4th game in the series. You own the 1st game.

There are 5 games so far. 1-3 are a single arc with a set of characters in 1 country, 4-5 are another arc with different characters in another country but the main worldview plot continues like Suikoden 1-3.

duckroll

OK OK.

I am confused as fuck by this whole series.

Is this the same game on PSP that bought and still didn't play? A sequel? Or what exactly?

You bought Call of Duty 1 on the PSP, this is a remake of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on the Vita. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is also coming out this year, on the PSP.

Eusis

You bought Call of Duty 1 on the PSP, this is a remake of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on the Vita. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is also coming out this year, on the PSP.
Actually, given they already stated they have a next NEXT game in development I sort of wonder if it's Black Ops that's due out this year, with MW3 coming next.

... I kind of hope that's that case with Nayuta anyway, it'd be nice if they continued developing this world if we manage to get all of the games, but failing that we'd have a parallel series free of continuity and thus easier to bring over here (when it's ported to PS Vita anyway since good luck getting a late 2012 PSP RPG out of Japan.)

ANyways to break it down: We have Trails in the Sky 1, 2, and 3, 2 completes the core story of 1 with 3 being an encore/link between it and Zero no Kiseki (Trails of Zero, AKA the game being remade for Vita), which has a direct sequel Ao no Kiseki (Trails of Blue), which is then being followed up by Nayuta no Kiseki which apparently has a new world.

Top Bottom