• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker's Bad Fur Day Commentary

I paid like 50 dollars for a complete boxed copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day for Nintendo 64 about two years ago
I regret nothing. Awesome game <3

219 Dutch guilders at the time (about 120 dollars). Was my most expensive N64 game.

I regretted NOTHING.

Pitmonkey

Amazing insite inside a generation of gaming that I adore, from a developer that I hold on the highest regard - a must listen for anyone from that era.

This makes me want to start up Conker's bad Fur Day again lol. Though I have Live and Reloaded also so I'm not sure which one I'd prefer over the other. While Live and Reloaded is graphically superior and has pretty great multiplayer (too bad its not online anyomore), its also censored which makes some of the jokes too weird. Hearing a bleep every curse word can get very irritating after a while. Bad Fur Day is just very nostalgic and uncensored.

Man, Seavor and the other dudes are hilarious. I enjoyed hearing about how Birdy was based on some oddball employee that everyone secretly made fun of.

Jb

Immediately went on amazon/ebay after watching what they've put up so far to see if there was a copy available at a decent price. No dice :(

Persona7

Banned
The multiplayer in this game was so amazing, too. (N64 version, NOT Xbox).

Nothing better than taking a ninja sword to a Tediz head and hearing that seething growl from his neckhole after LOL

Hell, Perfect Dark was reason enough to own an Expansion Pack

The multiplayer is both games were pretty fucking awesome.

Immediately went on amazon/ebay after watching what they've put up so far to see if there was a copy available at a decent price. No dice :(

You can probably get a copy for 50-60 dollars if you really tried. Most of the time they sale at the upper end of 70 though.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im a few minutes in and this commentary is amazing so far lol.

One of my favourite games. Love seeing designers talk about their games like this, without having to worry about PR. The DK64 expansion pack story is pretty funny too.

munroe

Only just started watching but hearing them talk about the memory constraints about the N64 shows just how great the team was and the amount of detail they managed to include with those limitations.

Lol awesome litmus test, will have to have to do that myself

jwhit28

It's funny how they point out the animation of Conker pushing against the wall when in DK 64 it is easier to point out the few walls you can't walk through.

bhlaab

This is great.
It'd be nice to have more game commentaries like this but this one is so loose and enjoyable.

Speaking of which, I love hearing devs talk about their own games unfiltered and completely removed from trying to market the thing. Specifically I like when they discuss the things that 'went wrong' so I thought I'd point out some more:

Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBE216F8E761D085C
Former Insomniac devs Tony Garcia and Mike Stout (one was a junior programmer the other was a junior designer, I couldn't tell you which is which offhand) play through, reveal some behind the scenes info, get into how the game works and why it works the way it does, and spend a lot of time shit-talking their own work.

Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D649DF9B66678B7
Same guys, but they were upgraded to non-junior positions for this game and therefore their breadth of knowledge on the project is slightly expanded and they're more proud of their own work on this one.

Halo
http://youtu.be/EwfnAM3dBrM
Unfortunately this commentary is just on the cutscenes for some reason, but it's still fun to hear these guys talk about such a big-name title like it was a job. They make fun of themselves a lot.

Halo 2
http://youtu.be/sBi_xx26ClM
Just the cutscenes again, but this one is really interesting because it's very clear that the people on mic aren't pleased with how the game turned out. They mostly talk about content that had to be cut or changed, issues with the story not making sense because of whole chunks of levels being cut, and they do so pretty frankly.

If anybody knows of more like this please share.

Dizzy

Banned
This is awesome. We need more of these.

Just finished part 5. The part about Bill Gates would have been great! I wonder if there was anything else they wanted to add to the xbox game given how it was alnost a scene for scene remake.

I wish there was a SPIRITUAL sequel.
The company called "Rare" can't do shit these days.

Oh wait, apparently there will be, as Chris Seavor already announced something like that with his new studio, didn't he? :D

One can only hope.

Gaah, I hope they upload more soon. These are seriously great.

Listened to the first 10 minutes in work this morning ... can't wait to get stuck into the rest of it tonight!

These guys tell it like it is!

This is fantastic! I love hearing them BS about the game without all the marketing speak that happens from devs these days as they release a game.

Just finished CBFD today. Saw the commentary on Tumblr and figured it was probably older by now but nope! Perfect timing.

What a character does when running against a wall:
"That's our litmus test for whether a game is any good or not".
I'm doing this from now on.

On part 3 right now. Definitely going to watch them all. Nothing out there like this game. Crazy detail the following generation would struggle with (even now there are little things here games miss). Lots of really great animation too. Looking at the videos for the remake it seems Conker lost a lot of his expression. Curious to hear if they talk about that game.

There's some frustrating sections sprinkled throughout but there are a lot of unique tasks to do and in the end the variety is easily one of the best things about the game.

Posting in here to subscribe so I can listen to these later. Conker's Bad Fur Day is one of my favorite games of all-time so I'm really interested to hear about all this!

Just finished CBFD today. Saw the commentary on Tumblr and figured it was probably older by now but nope! Perfect timing.

What a character does when running against a wall:
"That's our litmus test for whether a game is any good or not".
I'm doing this from now on.

On part 3 right now. Definitely going to watch them all. Nothing out there like this game. Crazy detail the following generation would struggle with (even now there are little things here games miss). Lots of really great animation too. Looking at the videos for the remake it seems Conker lost a lot of his expression. Curious to hear if they talk about that game.

There's some frustrating sections sprinkled throughout but there are a lot of unique tasks to do and in the end the variety is easily one of the best things about the game.

Did you play it on OG hardware or emulated? Wondering if I should pull out the 64 or not :p

Gaspode_T

I didn't see this thread before posting about this in a different thread

This is an AMAZING series of videos that gives a rare glimpse into how developers actually talk and breathe...especially UK developers :p

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
is it just a coincidence theirs been lots of talk about conker recently ?

Vorundor

Awesome play through! Question, if they are correct when referring to cartridges being better than CDs, how come no one ever kept going forward with the development of the format? Wouldn't they use NAND memory chips by now?

Zornica

Banned
Awesome play through! Question, if they are correct when referring to cartridges being better than CDs, how come no one ever kept going forward with the development of the format? Wouldn't they use NAND memory chips by now?

because it's way more expensiv?
cartridges aren't just comprised of memory. they got microchips, and more in them.
btw: there is a reason vita went with cards instead of an optical format.

FyreWulff

Yes, cartridges still have the best possible seek time and latency. The issue is they're still absurdly expensive to produce compared to discs and require tons more lead time to manufacture.

I'm not up on my lingo but aren't 3DS / DS games on cartridges? Or are they considered more memory card? But is that the same thing?!

Awesome insight to the game so far, a shame that conker's cheeks puffing when he whistles was not in the final build, and I never knew the game was that lower res, not played it for years.

money, always money. Carts are expensive for so much space.

SD cards are cheaper but they are just not as fast or direct and even with an SSD in your pc, games now will still have small loading times so the benefit over price is not very good.

Gaspode_T

Hey said on twitter they will continue the series after a break and rounding up some more folks...

They should do the same for some other Rare games...

"conkerhimself" is his twitter handle, he seems to confirm that they are looking into doing a Wii U game

Vorundor

because it's way more expensiv?
cartridges aren't just comprised of memory. they got microchips, and more in them.
btw: there is a reason vita went with cards instead of an optical format.

I knew there is more than Memory but I just thought that maybe the tech had been made cheaper by now. Vita and Nintendo 3DS do use a cart format so I figured, why not for consoles then? Would it require more complex circuitry?

Top Bottom