• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conker's Bad Fur Day Commentary

FyreWulff

I knew there is more than Memory but I just thought that maybe the tech had been made cheaper by now. Vita and Nintendo 3DS do use a cart format so I figured, why not for consoles then? Would it require more complex circuitry?

It's cheaper than it was before, but not at the storage capacity that Blu Ray has now. The cost:size sweet spot only recently passed CDs.

sn00zer

Speaking of which, I love hearing devs talk about their own games unfiltered and completely removed from trying to market the thing. Specifically I like when they discuss the things that 'went wrong' so I thought I'd point out some more:

Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBE216F8E761D085C
Former Insomniac devs Tony Garcia and Mike Stout (one was a junior programmer the other was a junior designer, I couldn't tell you which is which offhand) play through, reveal some behind the scenes info, get into how the game works and why it works the way it does, and spend a lot of time shit-talking their own work.

Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D649DF9B66678B7
Same guys, but they were upgraded to non-junior positions for this game and therefore their breadth of knowledge on the project is slightly expanded and they're more proud of their own work on this one.

Halo
http://youtu.be/EwfnAM3dBrM
Unfortunately this commentary is just on the cutscenes for some reason, but it's still fun to hear these guys talk about such a big-name title like it was a job. They make fun of themselves a lot.

Halo 2
http://youtu.be/sBi_xx26ClM
Just the cutscenes again, but this one is really interesting because it's very clear that the people on mic aren't pleased with how the game turned out. They mostly talk about content that had to be cut or changed, issues with the story not making sense because of whole chunks of levels being cut, and they do so pretty frankly.

If anybody knows of more like this please share.

Watching the RC2 one...incredibly interesting

Pyronite

Did anyone else feel like the Conker/Banjo era of Rare was really weak? I never enjoyed Conker in terms of gameplay nor found the writing very witty, whereas Banjo/Donkey Kong felt really inflated.

Loved Goldeneye and (to a lesser extent) Diddy Kong Racing, but I don't think they recaptured their magic with this title.

Did anyone else feel like the Conker/Banjo era of Rare was really weak? I never enjoyed Conker in terms of gameplay nor found the writing very witty, whereas Banjo/Donkey Kong felt really inflated.

Loved Goldeneye and (to a lesser extent) Diddy Kong Racing, but I don't think they recaptured their magic with this title.

No. All the little details they had in this game along with the balls awesome multiplayer that could have been sold as it's own god damn game make it an all time Rare great.

ampere

I started watching this today, saw Part 1.

It's so great to hear about the making of the game. Conker's BFD is one of my favorite childhood games, which I had to sneak by my parents and they freaked out when they saw the "must be over 18" warning label. Platforming of Banjo & Kazooie quality with great humor and level variety.

Hearing Seavor's take on development is priceless. Talking about Conker sawing the N64 logo, haha.

Coreda

This is great, thanks for posting! I remember playing Conker when it came out along with my friends, the multiplayer 'Heist' level was a blast (nice lounge jazz score, too), although I think I clocked more hours with Banjo-Tooie's multiplayer at the time.

It had such layered/rich graphics for a a 64 game, and all the little details and references made it a novelty. I've never felt much of BFD's humor was that comedic, but it had so much charm, as all Rare's games did. Such a golden age for the system and the company.

Coolwhip

Banned
The commentary is a bit weird sometimes. They are bashing tutorials but the start of Conker has just that, a context button tutorial. Sure it done in a funny way, but still.

The commentary is a bit weird sometimes. They are bashing tutorials but the start of Conker has just that, a context button tutorial. Sure it done in a funny way, but still.
That is exactly the point. Its built in to be an entertaining part of the experience. So many tutorials consist of fail/repeat sections to learn controls or floating text boxes. Tutorials are a necessary evil and so many developers still get them wrong.

ampere

Part 3:

Holy shit Chris Seavor is terrible at this game or very drunk hahahaha, he fell 5 times in the tutorial area

Jos33phus

Neo Member
What a phenomenal game, considering the era when it came. I probably played this more than any other 64 game. Such an under-appreciated title as well.

It really is a shame Seavor became a hermit somewhere in Scotland, and did not expand much on this series.

Oh this is so good!! This kind of commentary stuff is like crack to me. Can't get enough of it. And it is fairly rare for the game industry.

I don't even particularly like Conker's BFD. But I did love the n64. And hearing all the nitty gritty about what went on during development of this title is fascinating.

Nicktendo86

Subbed, I fucking love this game and all the others Rare made during this time, still have CBFD, Banjo 1 & 2, Perfect Dark and DK64 in mint condition, even though I played the fuck out of them.

Nicktendo86

Man these videos are sooooo good, what a crying shame that Rare have fallen so bad. The Microsoft/xbone bashinfg is great as well.

So Reg the Paintbrush and Ron the Paintpot were originally supposed to don KKK outfits in that second-long scene where Franky says they tried to lynch him.

Man...this game really did push the boundaries as far as it could. Their first attempts at everything were the tip-tops of rancidness, and then they'd lower everything tiny notches at a time until Nintendo approved it. Brilliant.

Nicktendo86

So Reg the Paintbrush and Ron the Paintpot were originally supposed to don KKK outfits in that second-long scene where Franky says they tried to lynch him.

Man...this game really did push the boundaries as far as it could. Their first attempts at everything were the tip-tops of rancidness, and then they'd lower everything tiny notches at a time until Nintendo approved it. Brilliant.
I love the story of for the live and reloaded remake they wanted to make the gate a character called bill who would moan about his windows crashing but Microsoft wouldn't let them! Lol

Mlatador

Banned
I'm just 7 min. in and this is already brilliant - lol! I love how they take shit about people complaining about "limitations" these days, haha! They're right...

bryanee

I'm surprised at what you had to do to get the Nintendo Seal of Quality. I thought they just slapped that on any old bollocks.

lmao @ chinny man

KAP151

End of part 3:

"That's the thing..Rare had very good gameplay programmers. They don't have any now"

Spot on.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Cheers for update, I was wondering when Chris was going to put more up.

Top Bottom