• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Daly Loses Nascar Sponsorship Over Father’s Racial Slur (Said in the 80's)

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This just came on my Dutch news site and i am linking the NY Times here.
Lilly Diabetes has pulled its sponsorship of Conor Daly’s No. 6 car in the Nascar Xfinity race at Road America, citing a racial slur made by the driver’s father in the 1980s that surfaced this week.

“Unfortunately, the comments that surfaced this week by Derek Daly distract from this focus, so we have made the decision that Lilly Diabetes will no longer run the No. 6 at Road America this weekend,” Lilly said.

What Conor Daly (The racing son, who's affected by this) says:

Derek Daly has expressed his apologies:
Daly said he was “mortified’” when he learned how the term was used in the United States and has never used it since then. Conor Daly, 26, was notborn when his father made the comment.

“Finally, I want everyone to know I deeply regret and sincerely apologize for what I said more than three decades ago,” Daly said in his statement.

More at the link.

So basically this diabetic race driver is given the boot on support by Lily Diabetes because of a slur made by his dad 30 years ago and he has not ushered this phrase since. :goog_unsure:

EDIT: I am only referring to the NY Times link. It may very well be that there is additional information that shifts the onus of wat to the father or the racing son instead. If such information is available, please tag me and ill adjust the thread accordingly.

EDIT 2:
Some context as to what Derek Daly said in the 80's by his own admission.
“In the early 80’s, after I had recently relocated to the United States, I was interviewed by radio reporter Larry Henry and I was asked about my situation with my new American team,” Daly said in an email to IBJ, which appears in its entirety at the end of this story. “I responded by explaining that I was a foreign driver now in America, driving for an American team, with an American crew, and with an American sponsor—and that if things did not go well, the only 'n***** in the wood pile' would be me.

“At the time, I meant that I, as the new foreigner on the team, would shoulder the blame and I would be the scapegoat. This was not in any way shape or form meant to be a racial slur. This phrase was commonly used in Ireland, Britain, and Australia. When I used that phrase in the early 80’s, I had no idea that in this country that phrase had a horribly different meaning and connotation, as it was commonplace in Ireland.”

Last edited:

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The company that pulled out the sponsorship over this is a piece of shit company. Lilly Diabetes needs to grow a damned backbone and stand up to the twitter outrage kids.

Twitter weaponized outrage is truly making the world a bizarre place.

Last edited:

Dude Abides

Banned
Lol it’s NASCAR. If they disassociate from everyone whose daddy said a racial slur they shouldn’t let any fans into the stadium.

ickythingz

Banned
I wonder if any of those on the left screeching on twitter are endangering their children's futures with what they have posted on social media.... Time will tell I suppose.

What's the slur? The only source I found says it was the n-word, but the context it was made it didn't make any sense and makes me wonder whether it might've been meant as something like niggard. Though it might've just been outright n-word as well, but it seems like Derek Daly thinks at least he didn't use the n-word semantically at least.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
So, at this point, Trump 2020 is a given, but what comes for 2024?

My safest (and most innocuous) bet is someone with the slogan "Make Crusades (and/or Witch Burning) great again."

So, at this point, Trump 2020 is a given, but what comes for 2024?

My safest (and most innocuous) bet is someone with the slogan "Make Crusades (and/or Witch Burning) great again."

2024: Deus lo vult! We will take Jerusalem!

sYAuxFD.jpg

4vQoHSf.jpg

I just love CK2 or Crusades related memes, they're so ridiculous and funny.
And who knows, with how Turkey's going, maybe the west will retake Constantinople?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

What's the slur? The only source I found says it was the n-word, but the context it was made it didn't make any sense and makes me wonder whether it might've been meant as something like niggard. Though it might've just been outright n-word as well, but it seems like Derek Daly thinks at least he didn't use the n-word semantically at least.
Some context: https://www.ibj.com/articles/70230-...ng-slur-but-not-in-the-way-lamey-described-it
“In the early 80’s, after I had recently relocated to the United States, I was interviewed by radio reporter Larry Henry and I was asked about my situation with my new American team,” Daly said in an email to IBJ, which appears in its entirety at the end of this story. “I responded by explaining that I was a foreign driver now in America, driving for an American team, with an American crew, and with an American sponsor—and that if things did not go well, the only 'n***** in the wood pile' would be me.

“At the time, I meant that I, as the new foreigner on the team, would shoulder the blame and I would be the scapegoat. This was not in any way shape or form meant to be a racial slur. This phrase was commonly used in Ireland, Britain, and Australia. When I used that phrase in the early 80’s, I had no idea that in this country that phrase had a horribly different meaning and connotation, as it was commonplace in Ireland.”
Will put in OP.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Did you forget how you struggle in life because Eve ate the apple from the tree of knowledge? You would be running around in paradise like a happy child forever if it wasn't for her.

Ah, that's different from the one I found which had Lamey's version: https://deadspin.com/former-colts-announcer-who-used-n-word-was-quoting-auto-1828557737

It's an expression that oddly has had some usage on the british isles and in modern times have managed to bite many brits in the arse if they're of an older generation. Still, was this something to make a case of? Other than just apologizing and moving on?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't even care what the slur was, why would anyone be held accountable for what their relative said? Forget when it was said.

Redneckerz

Ah, that's different from the one I found which had Lamey's version: https://deadspin.com/former-colts-announcer-who-used-n-word-was-quoting-auto-1828557737

It's an expression that oddly has had some usage on the british isles and in modern times have managed to bite many brits in the arse if they're of an older generation. Still, was this something to make a case of? Other than just apologizing and moving on?
Thats the second hit i had when checking your story out, i just picked this one lol :)

I think this goes to show that words expressed in the past had a different meaning back then, hauling from a different era in time. It is similar to the Australian ''cxxt'' that we had a thread earlier of. To a many, it is offensive, but context and intent showcase whether a phrasing or a sentence is malicious in nature, or not.

I don't think that in this case the intent was malicious in nature, and it saddens me that in the political climate of today, Lilly Diabetes thinks it is.

On a more global note, Lilly's response plays into the kind of excessive response you see in other branches of entertainment aswell - The Cyberpunk 2077 Story being one of them, or the Kingdom Come tale, for instance. Whilst those cases might be slightly more blurred in terms of intent (considering the former story is playing reference to a absurdist meme) its stories like these and others that make it ever so important that context and intent are important in any discussion, before judgement is passed. Because what happens now, is that neither of the bolded occurs, with the result that people get upset where, possibly, they have no reason to be this aggravated.

HarryKS

If I'm not mistaken, Ron Atkinson landed in hot water because of this exact same expression.

He was a former manager.

Good, his father disgraced his family name with that comment. The son should be banished from the sport and lose all his privileges

Wait... this isn't the 1400's?

Spheyr

Banned
It wasn’t even the racer who said it. His dad... 30 years ago. Holy shit.
And to reiterate, his dad said it 30 years ago. He's 26 years old. Not only was he not alive, he wouldn't be alive for several more years when it was said.

Fbh

I read the title and was like
"Ok, title is probably hyperbole, the dad is probably super racist and then the son started defending him or something and THAT's why he lost the sponsorship".

Nope, it was literally as stupid as it sounded.

Boss Mog

So wait, his dad said something 30+ years ago and he's the one paying for it now? How does that even make sense? So basically punishing a person for somebody else's crime. Just when I think the SJW crowd can't sink any lower...

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Just to remind ourselves in these deperate times: “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

I know we're dealing with some nasty ass drops here, but we gotta keep believing in it.

Top Bottom