• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conversations with creators - Driveclub PS4 [New footage]

asjagj.gif

Wish, that looks real

Can someone tell me whether anyone working on this game is on Twitter?

I want to tweet them asking whether they have plans to include the Tesla Model S

Flo_Evans

I kind of prefer for this style of game to go nuts with the effects and hit 30 fps solid. Of course if they an go nuts and hit 60 be my guest.

For a serious sim 60fps is mandatory of course.

unplayable view in hardcore sim games, but thoroughly enjoyable and playable in arcade racers like NFS, Burnout fyi..

I only use chase cam, no matter the game. Cockpit view has no peripheral view, it´s claustrophobic.

I only use inside views or bumper (way too low) for testing and/or fun.

Real racing for me is with the chase view. I know i´m weird, i heard all about it over GTPlanet, but it is what it is. And i´m not alone, so i´m glad the devs always include the chase cam on racing games.

I remember the old Test Drive games. I wasn´t good at it.

Don't be surprised when most next gen games run at 30 FPS with lots of fancy visuals cranked up. This gen was mostly 30 FPS to make room for effects as well. Makes for better screenshots, better youtube trailers (which plays at 30 fps by default), and most people are more impressed by a good looking 30 FPS than a decent looking 60 FPS game.

Flo_Evans

Don't be surprised when most next gen games run at 30 FPS with lots of fancy visuals cranked up. This gen was mostly 30 FPS to make room for effects as well. Makes for better screenshots, better youtube trailers (which plays at 30 fps by default), and most people are more impressed by a good looking 30 FPS than a decent looking 60 FPS game.

I kind of am hoping someone makes a retro game that will run @ 120fps for people with TV's that go that high. Would be awesome.

Glad to hear

Also, hardware isn't final yet, either. Final kits will be around mid-summer time iirc. Probably won't be too many changes from now. It's just SDK changes at the moment which are being updated virtually weekly.

I'd love 60fps, but lets be honest here. PGR2,3,4, MotorStorm, Split/Second were all excellent racers and none of them ran at 60 frames. Would be frikking rad though :D

AngryBird

Banned
Am I the only one who's mind is not "blown"? :0

Looks like a normal game to me. At least this is what PC games look like and have been playing for the last 3 years. Something about that lighting screams fake and odd(maybe lack of GI/shadows kind of odd). I find Grid 2 maxed on PC more visually pleasing.

Was more impressed with the camera work, and also the game concept sounds interesting.

Perkel

Banned

Looks like a normal game to me. At least this is what PC games look like and have been playing for the last 3 years. Something about that lighting screams fake and odd(maybe lack of GI/shadows kind of odd). I find Grid 2 maxed on PC more visually pleasing.

Was more impressed with the camera work, and also the game concept sounds interesting.

No. Grid 2 doesn't even look near like this.

Right now i would say:

DriveClub
pCars
Forza5
Assetto Corsa
GT6
GT5
Forza4

Grid2 is way lower than F4

Fezan

i have played almost all pc games on high setting beside pcars and this looks leagues better than all of them

Noshino

I agree, but in this genre I would give turn 10 the edge.

I'am not trying to ruffle feathers, just think its a sensible to think that way.

GT7 will probably look better then the latest forza because I think PD have the edge over turn 10 (in visuals).

What you are forgetting is that this is the first title by Evolution after the closure of Studio Liverpool

A bunch of people from Studio Liverpool were moved over to Evolution, and on top of that the one of the leads of the PGR series was also hired.

So yeah, an already very strong studio basically supercharged? when it comes to arcade racers I would put them at the top.

It's not going to be 60 fps. If it was, they would be yelling it from mountain tops.

I know its a stretch, but maybe they are waiting to see if they can actually pull it off? I mean, its not like they havent done huge improvements in very little time in the past (MS:pR)

ACH1LL3US

i have played almost all pc games on high setting beside pcars and this looks leagues better than all of them

Watch it now... Sethos and others will come and say you stopped playing games afte 2008-09.

I for one agree with you, the assets are much higher then racing games on the pc ( except pcars).

Perkel

Banned
Lol .. Seems they are looking at Gaf reaction. Good to know they are reading fans feedback.

In 2013 this is nothing new. Fan feedback should be first priority to developers when they wrap things up.

I wonder if there will be proper wheel support but i fear wheel might be to slow same as in other racing arcade games.

DS4 gyro is confirmed though.

Artex

Banned
With the focus on the first-person perspective; for the love of all things holy please give us Oculus Rift support.

AngryBird

Banned
No. Grid 2 doesn't even look near like this.

Right now i would say:

DriveClub
pCars
Forza5
Assetto Corsa
GT6
GT5
Forza4

Grid2 is way lower than F4

Well I think these screens are more appealing and less bland/boring than DriveClub(perhaps it's the art direction?)

Anyway here's some screens of pcars + grid2 (taken from another forum)

pCars
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1496775/flags/LL
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1496776/flags/LL

Grid 2
http://i.minus.com/i5eEvcKbHjfhK.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ib0V3vDJW3ZVjN.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibhJgJiq69xNSR.jpg
http://i.minus.com/icJCt5apkvyUw.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibxgYxkaZJUP8u.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i5IuSRLbWd69p.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iSGRXMDGURmuF.jpg
Lighting in these game are miles ahead of DriveClub, although that's purely from an artistic pov. I am not questioning the power of PS4. Just wished they gave it more interesting lighting.

Goldrusher

It's not going to be 60 fps. If it was, they would be yelling it from mountain tops.
It has to be 60 fps.

It's a first-party title launching on a super powerful new system, alongside a 60 fps NFS and a 60 fps Driver.... and a 60 fps Gran Turismo on PS3.

30 fps would be pathetic.

Mr.Ock

Maybe, since they are probably reading this, they could tell us if the game is more Arcade or Sim... personally I would like it to be more Forza Horizon-like, since I don't own a 360 but I love that game!

btw, DEM GIFS :O

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well I think these screens are more appealing and less bland/boring than DriveClub(perhaps it's the art direction?)

As I scrolled down the first screen I initially thought these were new DriveClub screens and honestly wondered 'what happened?'...

Whatever about artistic appeal, the render quality isn't as high in those shots. Though the first GRID shot is nice, as is the shot with the F1 cars.

Kyon

Banned

Good

If you are reading Evolution all i have to say is thank you, thank you for this amazing piece of work you have created that looks set to change everything as far as racing titles go, in my opinion anyway

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think you can max whatever you want as much as you want, and it still won't look near as good as this. These interiors, and cohesiveness of everything, are something else. I love how sunset in this game looks so creamy smooth.

ibrWwxVIIJtsaW.gif

KKRT00

I asked them two questions on twitter. here is what they replied.

ojjoQlH.jpg

What a bullshit that IQ is from in-game. There is no subpixel or shader aliasing in this footage and thats impossible without msaa and downsampling.

---
Shadows in overcast are strange, like faked indirect shadows.
There is still pop-up on vegetation.
There is real-time reflection of car in front, in last footage on player's hood.
Not everything is shadowed. No ssao on vegetation too.

Generally i was quite impressed by environments, they've done amazing job with art to make look it look rich and still have high distance view.

hesido

I hope, if they ditch the anti-alias and some other effects to get to 60fps, there won't be a shit-storm accusing them of deceiving public. This if they release a 60fps game. That said, because the cat is out of the bag, they would rather ship at least as good as these gifs instead of being in the middle of such a shit storm.

So no, the game will probably go for 30fps just to avoid such a backlash.

Top Bottom