• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conversations with creators - Driveclub PS4 [New footage]

Rushy also confirmed to me on Twitter that everything's in-engine!

bDwtMIB.jpg

Hype-Level Midnight.

Well I think these screens are more appealing and less bland/boring than DriveClub(perhaps it's the art direction?)

Anyway here's some screens of pcars + grid2 (taken from another forum)

pCars
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1496775/flags/LL
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1496776/flags/LL

Grid 2
http://i.minus.com/i5eEvcKbHjfhK.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ib0V3vDJW3ZVjN.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibhJgJiq69xNSR.jpg
http://i.minus.com/icJCt5apkvyUw.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibxgYxkaZJUP8u.jpg
http://i.minus.com/i5IuSRLbWd69p.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iSGRXMDGURmuF.jpg
Lighting in these game are miles ahead of DriveClub, although that's purely from an artistic pov. I am not questioning the power of PS4. Just wished they gave it more interesting lighting.

Not sure if serious or trolling?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What a bullshit that IQ is from in-game. There is no subpixel or shader aliasing in this footage and thats impossible without msaa and downsampling.
I'm really suspicious about AA, but if Forza Horizon could use 4xMSAA+FXAA, then possibly this could that or more...

There is real-time reflection of car in front, in last footage on player's hood.
I noticed this too. I don't know if this is the first game to finally do this. Realtime generated cubemaps maybe.

KKRT00

I'm really suspicious about AA, but if Forza Horizon could use 4xMSAA+FXAA, then possibly this could that or more...

Even 4x MSAA + FXAA or SMAA 4x wont provide such clean image like in this trailer and non of them solve shader aliasing, which was absent too.
I've not find any aliasing in this footage, non even one line and i've watched distant thin cabled and ratio stations, there was no line break anywhere.

cluderi

Everything I see about this game makes me want it more, I haven't been this excited since Gran Turismo 1.

soon.gif

KKRT00

I noticed this too. I don't know if this is the first game to finally do this. Realtime generated cubemaps maybe.

Its probably only for cars and in close proximity. Dirt 2 already did it even on consoles. Should be a standard feature in all future racing games, at least for hoods and cars, not all geometry.

=== edit ===

I found footage from Dirt 2 from xbox 360.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SbHdtxSrA
Wow even smoke and dirt is reflected, i didnt remember that!

GameSeeker

The new footage looks excellent, as did the previous footage from the Feb. event.

The only thing that looks suspicious is the lack of aliasing. When we see footage from Killzone: SF, you can see aliasing in the footage, so it looks excellent, but believable.

Someone should ask Evolution on Twitter what AA solution they are using to get such a clean look.

Also, never ask a game developer if something is "in-engine". "In-engine" often just means that they used a PC version of the engine to render the frames for the video clip. "In game on target platform" is the question you want to ask.

nib95

Banned
Even 4x MSAA + FXAA or SMAA 4x wont provide such clean image like in this trailer and non of them solve shader aliasing, which was absent too.
I've not find any aliasing in this footage, non even one line and i've watched distant thin cabled and ratio stations, there was no line break anywhere.

Games usually look smoother on these types of videos though, due to Youtube compression etc. They're probably using a really high sample of AA, they certainly have the ram too.

KKRT00

Games usually look smoother on these types of videos though, due to Youtube compression etc. They're probably using a really high sample of AA, they certainly have the ram too.

Smoother yes, there is tons of DoF and motion blur too that helps, i completely agree. But its smooth like CG here on every footage, thats not possible even with best real-time AA solutions.

BTW look at this footage from Dirt 2 i've posted. Dirt 2 used 4x MSAA on xbox 360 and this video is off-screen and very poor quality and yet You can see subpixel aliasing.

orioto

Good Art™
This vid is realllly compressed and shitty. I don't see how people can debate about the lack of aliasing in it..

SpaceNun

Banned
I'd give these guys the extra time to polish this. A dev team with as history like this needs their time. So the next 4-5 months of dev time are going to be very important for the final look of this game. I don't feel they should be pressured to go 60fps for a arcade/sim game if it looks killer but that is just me. They had better have stellar motion blur and AA at 30fps though.

weevles

This looks very promising. The casual, race-for-fun theme is appealing to me, and it is looking good in the eye candy department, all things considered...

StaSeb

Guys, guys! I just had en epiphany!!

What if you join a friend racing in a single event via those PS4-Social-Features and you would spawn in his passenger seat and get the wohle "Shotgun!"-Experience. I love being driven around by a skilled driver IRL aswell and would die for that feature. Just sitting there, chatting and trashtalking with a friend that is meanwhile doing some drift-challenges... that would be blissful! If I also own the game, that should be technically no problem at all. I understand, It will not work via streaming though...

Come on Evolution, make that happen!

Seanspeed

Banned
Looks no where near as good as the reveal, I don't know wtf you foos are talking about.

It doesn't. Some of the hill textures were bland. Cockpit detail looks better than anything on a console now, but not a huge leap.

It still looks really good, though. Its unmistakeably next-gen.

Portugeezer

If Forza 5 can be 1080P and 60FPS and the PS4 is possibly 100% more powerful along with its GDDR5 RAM, I can't see why DriveClub can't be 60FPS too.

Because Turn 10?

Anyway, have we seen Forza 5 gameplay? Nope, right... but let's compare power and potential framerates for the fuck of it.

It doesn't look that amazing to be honest... I think Forza 5 will be the better and prettier racing game.

The trailer of Forza 5 looks more like PGR than Forza, which is a good thing.

But I'm not buying a Xbone. Oh no no.

Portugeezer

I know its a stretch, but maybe they are waiting to see if they can actually pull it off? I mean, its not like they havent done huge improvements in very little time in the past (MS:pR)

I agree, they could be pushing for 60fps. If it was going to be 30fps why wouldn't they just confirm it at this point, it's what people expect, so maybe they're trying for 60fps... would be a surprise for sure.

Its probably only for cars and in close proximity. Dirt 2 already did it even on consoles. Should be a standard feature in all future racing games, at least for hoods and cars, not all geometry.

=== edit ===

Codemaster's PSP + PS2 games did it, they grab the previous frame and use it for the reflections. It's a trick that only looks good at shallow angles so it's perfect for that view.

hesido

=== edit ===

I'm 99% sure that Dirt 2's hood reflections are done using a relatively simple form of screen space reflection effect. In that video, you can see how the car is only reflected up to a certain part on the hood (although the bending moves that line somewhat), the reflection stops at a line even though its reflection should cover more of the hood, while it literally stands on top of the hood, that's because that effect can't reflect anything off screen as it is not actually even doing a cubemap. If you take a close look at it, you'll see nothing that you cannot see on screen can be reflected. Granted, it looks so good, but it's not applicable everywhere. Next gen games will probably use more advanced versions of screen space reflections.

edit: Oh, I see Graphics Horse was faster to reply. As he says, it's not applicable everywhere.

kriskrosbbk

Guys, guys! I just had en epiphany!!

What if you join a friend racing in a single event via those PS4-Social-Features and you would spawn in his passenger seat and get the wohle "Shotgun!"-Experience. I love being driven around by a skilled driver IRL aswell and would die for that feature. Just sitting there, chatting and trashtalking with a friend that is meanwhile doing some drift-challenges... that would be blissful! If I also own the game, that should be technically no problem at all. I understand, It will not work via streaming though...

Come on Evolution, make that happen!

yeah mate ,sounds fun indeed.day 1

Seanspeed

Banned
It has nothing to do with the developer. This is about different genres. It's expected that sim racers will run at 60fps. Just like fighting games are expected to hit that framerate. The same isn't expected of arcade racers.
In Turn 10's case, it does matter a bit. Forza was one of the few games that ran at both 720p native and 60fps on the 360. Considering the scope of the game, it was a pretty big accomplishment and not something that I think is just a 'given' for any other developer to be able to accomplish. RacePro was not 60fps and that was made by an experienced developer with these sorts of racing games.

I agree that 60fps isn't expected of arcade racers, though.

Perkel

Banned

Killzone devs were saying after PS meeting that ICE team works on new AA sollution.

If they managed to get MLAA working at same level without subpixel problems this kind of IQ is possible imo. But i don't see Sony resolving all AA woes with magical MLAA implementation.

As i said my take on this is supersampled video which would mean in-engine not in-game.
Though there are pop-ins for vegetation and reflections which may point at actual render from devkit without touching it up.

I am really interested with their AA sollution. MLAA in gow3 was amazing. If they could resolve subpixel problem then we would have really clean looking games.

It doesn't. Some of the hill textures were bland. Cockpit detail looks better than anything on a console now, but not a huge leap.

It still looks really good, though. Its unmistakeably next-gen.

Let's be clear here. Next gen won't resolve assets problem. If you will render big vistas there always will be catch somewhere. Right now landscape even with those few muddy textures as you said looks at whole another level than all racing games including pCars. Undoubtedly they put a ton of work into assets production and it shows.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It has nothing to do with the developer. This is about different genres. It's expected that sim racers will run at 60fps. Just like fighting games are expected to hit that framerate. The same isn't expected of arcade racers.

Of course it has to do with developers, some developers are better than others and Turn 10 have proved they are pretty good at pushing hardware to it's limits.

If anything DriveClub should look way better as it won't have to deal with the physics or 60fps Forza 5 will. I'm looking forward to both though.

KKRT00

I'm 99% sure that Dirt 2's hood reflections are done using a relatively simple form of screen space reflection effect. In that video, you can see how the car is only reflected up to a certain part on the hood (although the bending moves that line somewhat), the reflection stops at a line even though its reflection should cover more of the hood, while it literally stands on top of the hood, that's because that effect can't reflect anything off screen as it is not actually even doing a cubemap. If you take a close look at it, you'll see nothing that you cannot see on screen can be reflected. Granted, it looks so good, but it's not applicable everywhere. Next gen games will probably use more advanced versions of screen space reflections.

edit: Oh, I see Graphics Horse was faster to reply. As he says, it's not applicable everywhere.

Every reflection in next-gen will be screen space reflection :)

--
Killzone devs were saying after PS meeting that ICE team works on new AA sollution.

If they managed to get MLAA working at same level without subpixel problems this kind of IQ is possible imo. But i don't see Sony resolving all AA woes with magical MLAA implementation.

They are working on something like SMAA just more suited for PS4 [so cheaper combined with MSAA], but it wont be that good. No AA can be. BTW i'm downloading gamersyde version now.

---edit---
No aliasing to be found anywhere.

--
Codemaster's PSP + PS2 games did it, they grab the previous frame and use it for the reflections. It's a trick that only looks good at shallow angles so it's perfect for that view.

Doesnt seems like Dirt 2 is doing image copying from PS2, but more screen space reflection combined with cubemaps like Crysis 3 or TLoU for water reflections.
You can see that in this footage i've posted on edges reflections disappears, because of lack of angle.

trmas

Banned
Forza 5 will require an Internet connection - the power of the cloud and all. Pretty sad if it can't look at least as good as this game.

Top Bottom