• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conversations with creators - Driveclub PS4 [New footage]

Kurt

I want to see ingame footage first. I'm not that impressive about the gfx yet... Will wait untill see some more on E3

Goldrusher

I asked them two questions on twitter. here is what they replied.

ojjoQlH.jpg
Woohoo.

ACH1LL3US

2009 high end pc?

No... Rocking a Titan here

Did you stop playing games in 2008? A lot of games have reached that fidelity a long, long time ago. What this game has going for it is great lighting and even pCars can match that pretty close.

No, I did not stop playing pc games in 2008. Some of these comments are so snarky. Other then pCars, what PC racing game looks like Driveclub?

I downloaded this gamersyde 1080p trailer and made some grabs. Even 1080p 500MB trailer is compressed (it shows !)

IQ is insane ! I smell bullshit. look at first grab and tell me where is aliasing hint: there is none. Looks to me like it was supersampled or has more than 4xAA. I play always 1080p with AA and you can almost always spot aliasing even with 4xaa. Also ton of DoF and Object Montion blur

If that is real then they have some very nice AA going on.

Gallery (1920x1080): open in new window each of those:

i9lPUw1EYro8S.png

I really want that IQ to be standard if this is not bullshit.

1440p, 4xMSAA and FXAA can make it look like this.

Looks fantastic. Much more impressive to me so far than what I've seen from Forza.

This puts to rest on which looks better, this or GT6.

It also looks better than Forza 5 too.

That was never a debate.

No one expects GT6 on PS3 to look as good as #DRIVECLUB or Forza 5 on the next-gen consoles.

Once Polyphony gets their hands on the PS4 for GT7 tho...

oh-my-god-o.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
Honestly, I don't think that any racing game that does not have a decent visualization of damages and crashes can hype me anymore.

When you make a mistake and go off track or hit another car, it immediately breaks immersion.
For me, collision physics are more important than how the damage looks itself. So many games feel like you're playing bumper cars when you hit somebody or something else, where you just kind of bounce off. It might display damage on the car, but the 'feeling' of the collision breaks the immersion. Codemaster games are really bad with this.

Anyways, the game looks great. I'm perhaps not quite as blown away as some of y'all because I fully believed next-gen was going to look this good. I think Forza will be similarly impressive.

schuey7

The last part is less impressive than the footage at the 3 minutes mark .Also I think that they are still not fully utilizing the ram as the textures seem a little blurry on the rocks ,etc.Anyway I am sure it will only get better as the release date approaches.

Not sure if it's revealed, does Driveclub feature camera angles other than first person cockpit views? I like the push for first person racing by Evolution, but then again i love seeing the cars exteriors when i am drifting and overtaking around corners in break neck speeds (yeah one of the reasons why i thoroughly loved and enjoyed both Need for speed titles by Criterion Games)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have a bit of a hard time believing they are achieving this level of AA in the game. I know video compression is desctructive and can hide flaws even at 1080p, but you could tell if you looked, with Youtube 1080p footage of KZ:SF that is' using some AA that leaves sub-pixel edges unresolved for example. Here, there's literally no jagged edge in sight.

Not sure if it's revealed, does Driveclub feature camera angles other than first person cockpit views? I like the push for first person racing by Evolution, but then again i love seeing the cars exteriors when i am drifting and overtaking around corners in break neck speeds (yeah one of the reasons why i thoroughly loved and enjoyed both Need for speed titles by Criterion Games)

It's been confirmed to have a chase cam as well.

They have said 30fps earlier I think. Cool to hear that 60fps is still on the cards.

I hope that it is 60.

At least, try for 45 FPS or something like that.

It is friggin annoying that they always go either 60 or 30. Why does no one ever try for something in between if they can't get the full 60 FPS?

If Forza 5 can be 1080P and 60FPS and the PS4 is possibly 100% more powerful along with its GDDR5 RAM, I can't see why DriveClub can't be 60FPS too.

I hope that it is 60.

It is friggin annoying that they always go either 60 or 30. Why does no one ever try for something in between if they can't get the full 60 FPS?

Your TV updates at 60hz. If you're running at 45 you'll alternate between 33ms frames and 16ms frames, if VSYNCd, or you'll have a nasty tear running down the middle of your screen if you're not VSYNCd.

EDIT-To be a bit more clear...anything thats not an even divisor of 60 is going to look very unpleasing.

I asked them two questions on twitter. here is what they replied.

ojjoQlH.jpg

Sounds to me they started development with 3.5 GB of RAM in mind, not that they got 7 or 7.5 to play with, they might be thinking on going from 30 to 60fps.

I know it´s not as simple as double the memory = double the framerate, but i´ve seen devs talk about it, and i´m sure they are still working to utilize the extra 4gb they got at the last minute.

Looks very good, but maybe not on par with some Pcars bullshots. Enviroments and scope is better, lighting and cars seem to be a bit better on Pcars.

Still, comparing two next gen games that are coming to PS4, and i will probably buy both (one is a simcade, the other is a sim).

Flo_Evans

I hope that it is 60.

cause most TV's operate at 60hrz? 45fps would mean that the TV is not receiving a new frame every refresh cycle and would have to double frames or bin some. Hell most TV's will not even accept a 45fps signal so the console would have to conform it to NSTC standards wasting processing power.

If you can't get 60 it makes way more sense to lock it in at 30, then it will not slow down when you have lots of smoke FX or extra cars on screen at once.

Leucrota

Your TV updates at 60hz. If you're running at 45 you'll alternate between 33ms frames and 16ms frames, if VSYNCd, or you'll have a nasty tear running down the middle of your screen if you're not VSYNCd.

EDIT-To be a bit more clear...anything thats not an even divisor of 60 is going to look very unpleasing.

God of War 3 was pretty much 45 FPS and I don't remember too many people complaining.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
For me, collision physics are more important than how the damage looks itself. So many games feel like you're playing bumper cars when you hit somebody or something else, where you just kind of bounce off. It might display damage on the car, but the 'feeling' of the collision breaks the immersion. Codemaster games are really bad with this.

Yes. Their F1 games just don't feel right. The cars survive even rough contacts, which is not how it works in reality. I would be hyped about a racing game, that has a realistic collision model.

I don't give that much about the visual accuracy of every single stitch in the seat. Sure, it's impressive, but during gameplay, you won't see your car anyway...

Sounds to me they started development with 3.5 GB of RAM in mind, not that they got 7 or 7.5 to play with, they might be thinking on going from 30 to 60fps.

I know it´s not as simple as double the memory = double the framerate, but i´ve seen devs talk about it, and i´m sure they are still working to utilize the extra 4gb they got at the last minute.

Looks very good, but maybe not on par with some Pcars bullshots. Enviroments and scope is better, lighting and cars seem to be a bit better on Pcars.

Still, comparing two next gen games that are coming to PS4, and i will probably buy both (one is a simcade, the other is a sim).

Isn't more memory means more higher resolution textures? And it's not like hey lets go for 60fps when the game's been in development for a couple of years with 30 as the target frame rate, it's easier said than done. Dev teams who chant the 60fps mantra during early stages of pre-production are the ones who deliver 60fps titles on consoles, Call of duty is a classic example. Also, remember Driver:SF's launch got delayed after the team thought the game should be rendered at 60fps and not 30fps while the project was coming to a close.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think that they will go for 60. Or maybe they already have it with latest builds, already running on latest devkits.

If Forza 5 can be 1080P and 60FPS and the PS4 is possibly 100% more powerful along with its GDDR5 RAM, I can't see why DriveClub can't be 60FPS too.

Forza 5 has only been confirmed to be 60FPS so far though, right? We don't know if it is 1080P or 720P, as far as I know.

dookeh

I didn't see anything in that video that makes me believe they can't do 60fps. (still doubt they will though)

Top Bottom