• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse Party: Blood Drive (Vita) Japanese Release Date, New Trailer

UberTag

And here you have it boys and girls, the opening movie for CP: Blood Drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtE0rKHRu88

I want it!!!!!
image.php

Somehow I'm not surprised.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm a fan of Ace Attorney, Trauma Center, Zero Escape and will soon be getting Danganronpa for my Vita along with its sequel whenever it comes out, will I enjoy this series? Are the PSP games available on PSN for Vita?

I loved all of those and really enjoy this series but it's a lot different from them.

It's got it's own set of plot twists but otherwise the gameplay is completely different. It's also wayyyyy more scary than any of those games and more gruesome.

So after the original Corpse Party it kind of split into two different series, if I'm understanding the Wikipedia page correctly?

Corpse Party -> Book of Shadows -> Blood Drive

But there's also a Corpse Party 2 in development?

UberTag

I really wish we had a Corpse Party OT to discuss all of this stuff. If someone doesn't make one I might. These threads always die really fast.
There's a semi-active speculation thread on Blood Drive getting contributed to over on the Corpse Party forum on Zetaboards. That's about the only active one I've seen, however. I'm sure importers will be sharing impressions next month which means it's time for me to go on a blackout for this game until XSEED deems to bring it over.

But there's also a Corpse Party 2 in development?
Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient is its own unique entity and is supposedly getting retconned somewhat after its initial release on PC. It's safe to ignore.

We have Corpse Party PSP as the original game.
Corpse Party PC (which XSEED just announced) with slightly altered spins on those events.
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows includes side stories which expand on the first game and includes the final Blood Drive mission which links the first game to the upcoming game on Vita.

(There's also that Sachiko's Birthday nonsense which we won't be seeing localized and a whole bunch of creepy manga written by Corpse Party's creator, Makoto Kedouin. Who is now working on the equally creepy Dolls Fall.)

Shin

Banned
This serie has such nice artwork, that alone made me buy them.
Great games and well worth it, can't wait for this/last entry.

There's a semi-active speculation thread on Blood Drive getting contributed to over on the Corpse Party forum on Zetaboards. That's about the only active one I've seen, however. I'm sure importers will be sharing impressions next month which means it's time for me to go on a blackout for this game until XSEED deems to bring it over.

Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient is its own unique entity and is supposedly getting retconned somewhat after its initial release on PC. It's safe to ignore.

Corpse Party PC (which XSEED just announced) with slightly altered spins on those events.
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows includes side stories which expand on the first game and includes the final Blood Drive mission which links the first game to the upcoming game on Vita.

(There's also that Sachiko's Birthday nonsense which we won't be seeing localized and a whole bunch of creepy manga written by Corpse Party's creator, Makoto Kedouin. Who is now working on the equally creepy Dolls Fall.)

Hm... So if I hold out and get Corpse Party on PC, will the slightly-altered events effect anything going from that to the PSP version of Book of Shadows (seeing as that's the only version)?

I mean, XSEED is only doing the PC release because it came out on PC in Japan, right?

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah I used them for my main source of discussion even though I don't post over there. I don't want to be spoiled by importers but I would love a speculation thread here.

I'm assuming they're retconning because of what CP2 entailed. I never played it but while I was looking into it and if it would ever get a english release, I read a spoiler. I'm kind of glad to hear it won't be canon even though the game looks great.

Day 1
when it gets localized

I actually preferred the gameplay of the first game to the straight up VN style of Book of Shadows, to be honest.

Can't watch trailer now because at work but get exciiiite

UberTag

Hm... So if I hold out and get Corpse Party on PC, will the slightly-altered events effect anything going from that to the PSP version of Book of Shadows (seeing as that's the only version)?

I mean, XSEED is only doing the PC release because it came out on PC in Japan, right?
wyrdwad's post in the recent XSEED E3 announcement thread covers this territory pretty thoroughly...

Also, to answer the questions I've been seeing about Corpse Party: Although it is more or less the same game as the PSP version, there's enough different here that I think fans of the PSP game would really enjoy checking it out.

Some of the actual dialogue is slightly different (really random lines, too, where the Japanese was changed really subtly -- and yes, all of these subtle changes were painstakingly reflected in the English, too!), there are scenes peppered throughout that weren't present in the PSP version (particularly in chapter 5, where they added a rather shocking scene that pretty much comes out of nowhere), quite a few different endings from what you guys are used to... and most notably, the "Tooth" chapter from Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is now present, retold in the style of the original Corpse Party. Like, with you actually walking around the school, new puzzles exclusive to that chapter, new dialogue, etc. It's pretty rockin'!

There are also some musical changes -- chapter 5 has a few tracks exclusive to the PC version that blow their PSP equivalents out of the water. And probably the biggest difference is the voice-acting, since every single voice is completely different. And surprisingly, being a cast of mostly indie voice-actors, they're overall REALLY good, with a few topping the PSP versions (IMHO) and a few really surprising changes (Kizami's indie PC voice is SO DIFFERENT from his PSP voice, and yet somehow just as good -- just, in a completely different direction!).

It's actually been really cool to see just how different it is, and I can totally see a debate sparking up once the PC version is released as to which is the more definitive Corpse Party experience. ;)

sega4ever

don't you mean:

corpse party (pc 98) original
corpse party bloodcovered upgraded port of the original, this is getting a steam release
corpse party bloodcovered repeated fear, this is the psp game mostly the same but minor differences.

UberTag

don't you mean:

corpse party (pc 98) original
corpse party bloodcovered upgraded port of the original, this is getting a steam release
corpse party bloodcovered repeated fear, this is the psp game mostly the same but minor differences.
Well, I didn't want to get ultra-technical. Just wanted to cover what was actually getting localized.

Alex

Are these games good?

They look terrible and at first glance you'd figure it was just going to be more awkward nonsense out of the otaku sector but it was fairly tame in that regard surprisingly and for me wound up as extremely disturbing and interesting horror title. One of the few of such that did well by me, as of late.

At least the original, I've still yet to boot up Book of Shadows.

cj_iwakura

Someone is fan translating Sachiko's Birthday, by the way.

Also, the trailer looked oddly.. unhorrifying. What is it even about? (Yes I completed Book of Shadows.)

They look terrible and at first glance you'd figure it was just going to be more awkward nonsense out of the otaku sector but it was fairly tame in that regard but what I got was a legitimately disturbing, very interesting horror title. One of the few of such that did well by me, as of late.

At least the original, I've still yet to boot up Book of Shadows.

The ending to Book of Shadows is amazing.

STG

"Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA."

FANTASTIC!

Alex

Someone is fan translating Sachiko's Birthday, by the way.

Also, the trailer looked oddly.. unhorrifying. What is it even about? (Yes I completed Book of Shadows.)

The ending to Book of Shadows is amazing.

I'll have to get on that soon. I actually really liked the ending to the original, despite it bothering some people. I thought the mood and weight it set was perfect for the game world and it's genre.

That game messed me up for a bit though, takes a lot to push me to that place nowadays.

cj_iwakura

I'll have to get on that soon. I actually really liked the ending to the original, despite it bothering some people. I thought the mood and weight it set was perfect for the game world and it's genre.

That game messed me up for a bit though, takes a lot to push me to that place nowadays.

The ending will put you in a psych ward.

I have the Japanese Limited Edition of Blood Drive pre-ordered and am anxiously awaiting July. Hopefully Xseed will not only localize the game, but bring us a physical copy as well, given it's the first Vita game in the series

UberTag

New Blood Drive screenshots are floating around on Tumblr courtesy of the game's official Twitter feed...

tumblr_n735bn0A1z1rdu9woo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n7d9d66DCX1rdu9woo2_1280.png

tumblr_n7d9d66DCX1rdu9woo1_1280.png

Bpcgca-CYAEF8NC.jpg:large

Bp53RdCCAAAvGrt.jpg:large

Bp52pfjCcAAbpvk.jpg:large

One of these scenes is reminiscent of a chapter in the Corpse Party manga (specifically Musume Chapter 19).

In retrospect, this was technically a misstatement by me as that opening prologue scene did allude to how Blood Drive might play out.

They've only released one chapter, haven't they? Also, from what I've seen, it seems to be totally different than the original Corpse Party, and seems more sci-fi horror than supernatural horror.

UberTag

They've only released one chapter, haven't they? Also, from what I've seen, it seems to be totally different than the original Corpse Party, and seems more sci-fi horror than supernatural horror.
You're correct on all of these counts. The reason why that opening prologue scene is noteworthy is because of its direct reference to the outcome of Blood Drive as per the two characters featured within it. (This can be construed as a spoiler so don't click if you don't want to.)
It's widely theorized that the man at the computer in the room with dead-eyed Ayumi is Yoshiki and NOT Satoshi.

Everything else can be treated as separate and not relevant... at least for now. Even if they retcon Dead Patient and/or overhaul the release structure I don't expect them to deviate from the outcome inferred in that prologue.

The 3d model/2d art look is really jarring.
Yeah, there's a clear juxtaposition in styles that I suspect won't jive with some people who may have been more forgiving back when the game was simply 2-D sprite artwork. I'm cool with it but I can understand why others would find that it takes them out of the story.

Yeah, that image was shown on Xseed's discussion forum for Blood Drive... Honestly, as someone who loves all things scary, that totally creeped me out. I have a couple theories in regards to why "Yuka" appears in this fashion:

1: Something likely happens to Yuka-chan during the course of Blood Drive that results in a spirit taking her form to trick Satoshi-kun. Whether that "something" is she her being killed, separated, or outright captured only to be replaced are all feasible as far as I see it.

Or

2: She is separated from Satoshi-kun by some means, only to be possessed by an evil spirit

Or

3: Triggered through some to-be-seen event in the game, she falls victim to her own "darkening" given her well-known obsessive nature regarding her "affection" for her older brother

Regardless of what happens to lead to what transpires in the image seen, this seriously looks to be a good game.

UberTag

Shit will hit the fan.
I'm actually entertaining the idea of watching the much publicized live stream of the import. I don't think I can wait for XSEED on this one.
Especially with all of the teaser bombs Team GrisGris and 5pb. keep dropping.
For all intents and purposes, this is turning into the most anticipated Vita release of the year on either side of the Pacific.

IrishNinja

damn....loved the first one, i think it was shidoshi that got me nervous about playing 2. screens make this one look more like the original's gameplay, really hoping for a domestic release now!

UberTag

In case anyone wants some choice avatar material, here are some character pics from the Corpse Party Blood Drive Facebook page...

10296620_1456455671266889_1956613495352795467_n.png

There's also this spoilerific creepy variant based on cj_iwakura's aforementioned "nightmare fuel".

And the latest from XSEED regarding a potential localization courtesy of their Facebook page and Siliconera...

Welp, more Corpse Party is great, so how about [Hysteric Birthday 2U], Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient, and Blood Drive? Oh, and no need to dub, the Japanese cast is perfect!

We will see what we can do. And totally agreed about the Japanese voice-overs being perfect – we couldn’t do an English dub even if we wanted to due to the awesome 3D recording technique that Japan uses where multiple microphones at various angles are used for recording, which is a technique that we can’t easily replicate for our English voice-overs.

UberTag

A couple NicoNico streams went up over the past several days showcasing Blood Drive's in-engine gameplay.

My initial takeaway from the stages they demoed (all of which take place in Heavenly Host and none of the new locations teased thus far) is that there is surprisingly few corpses strewn about. Plenty of pulsating walls and floors - but very few corpses.

The biggest change in terms of gameplay is clearly the lighting engine. Most of the areas you explore are shrouded in darkness. Evil spirits will hunt you down and sap your health as they did in previous games but they're now largely in the form of blackened apparitions with glowing red eyes that will materialize seemingly out of thin air in certain areas and chase you around ceaselessly unless you run away or ward them off with a talisman.

Plenty of load screens (not so cool) but the load times seem reasonable (so not pre-patch Sen no Kiseki lengths or anything) but still enough to be distracting and take away from the level of immersion.

The full version of the game's OP track (Yumi Hara's In the Rain) is now up on YouTube if you want to check it out. We're just a little over 3 days away from the game's official release in Japan this Thursday.

UberTag

More links to share in advance of Blood Drive's release in less than 24 hours...

The aforementioned NicoNico stream from last weekend - featuring a series retrospective, a look at the Limited Edition of the game and a gameplay preview.
Guests in attendance include series creator Makoto Kedouin and the voice actresses/seiyuu for Naomi (Rina Sato) and Seiko (Satomi Arai).

English-translated versions of both the trailer that kicked off this thread and the subsequent gameplay introduction trailer.

Lastly, because we won't ever be getting it in North America, here is a link to an on-the-fly translated Let's Play stream of Corpse Party: Sachiko's Game of Love ♥ Hysteric Birthday 2U.

Awesome! Be sure to share your impressions in here.
The leaked trophy list makes it sound like it should keep you busy for a while.

Will do! I might give a brief impression Friday night after I arrive at my hotel in NC (was actually worried about whether or not I would get it in time before Friday morning). But I'll try to give a more in depth impression by Monday night (when I'm back home in DC) or some time on Tuesday

UberTag

Just a heads up for those embracing the return to standard exploration format of Blood Covered: Repeated Fear vs. the visual novel approach of Book of Shadows... despite the marketing, it's kind of a misnomer.

Blood Drive is actually more of a hybrid. Just finished watching Chapters 00 & 01 and it's almost entirely visual novel driven (and a passive one at that) as they cover the back story of the Shinozaki family and the Book of Shadows. There's some brief gameplay during Chapter 00, a little more towards the end of Chapter 01 and clearly there will be tons later on in the game but you're going to need to trudge through some extensive visual novel territory to get there.

Dugna

Just a heads up for those embracing the return to standard exploration format of Blood Covered: Repeated Fear vs. the visual novel approach of Book of Shadows... despite the marketing, it's kind of a misnomer.

Blood Drive is actually more of a hybrid. Just finished watching Chapters 00 & 01 and it's almost entirely visual novel driven (and a passive one at that) as they cover the back story of the Shinozaki family and the Book of Shadows. There's some brief gameplay during Chapter 00, a little more towards the end of Chapter 01 and clearly there will be tons later on in the game but you're going to need to trudge through some extensive visual novel territory to get there.

just wondering where are you watching these? Would like to see the game before it's basically spoiled completely like Danganronpa.

Top Bottom