• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain |OT| - I'm the master, and you're the puppet!

Dorarnae

No idea. Since its the outcome which am concerned about with the stats added to the item. Not the mana cost as we both know mana isnt really an issue with how easy it is to be collected.

I know mana isn't an issue but I meant that maybe the higher the mana cost is, the better the stat will be.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I know mana isn't an issue but I meant that maybe the higher the mana cost is, the better the stat will be.

Ah yeah. Possibly? Since like identifying items is pretty much like that. Its kinda weird they did it that way with the identification since makes it kinda obvious what will become rare and what wont lol.

Have not tried to combine any rares / legendary etc together as need them for my other shitty lv 1 dolls when i get more covens set up

I remember you wanted a strong magic coven, you can get one
in the 2nd dungeon
in the event if you
defeat the female witch who is controlling the town, then find her the 2nd time when she has been converted to a near mindless drone by the little people.
should drop a coven that has fairly powerful magic in it. Though the problem with it is the DP cost is insane like in the 140 DP range. So you will only be able to get a few shots off with it. Though damage Ive hit around 7500 with it on occasion vs weak to magic enemies lol. Since that particular coven only allows for 1 member in the combat position you really do need a unit that has a good stock of DP + the magic damage rating forgot what the 3 letters for it was...

Im not sure where I got this other coven from but it had 3 spells in it which worked pretty good for the most part. First was a explosion vs. Single target, Second was mud? / poison vs. Group, Third was Mist? vs. All. The DP cost was not too bad either considering so had used that for quite some time.

Cant do a vid tonight but will take one tomorrow for you to show what it is. Though I would imagine you might? have it since I think? I have 2 of them.

Parakeetman

Looks great! Some of the character portraits in the screen grabs are split in three, what's going on there?

Basically depending on the coven equipped you can have multiple characters placed in one of the 5 main slots.

Can contain for example up to 3 characters who appear in combat per slot with others becoming support units that can grant bonuses to the main combat units depending on the coven equipped.

kavun2.png

Since they say you can have a max of 40 characters taking place in battle at once which means you can have 40 / 5 = 8 dolls per slot (5 total) So with the previous talk about 3 actually in combat would make the other 5 support. Am unsure at the moment if you can have more than 3 in combat per slot. Would have to look at the info again.

All of those who are set to a coven gain exp though, which includes the support units. Though units set to support their stats are not included to the combat party it seems. So like their DP (MP) is not combined into the main pool. Only the DP from the combat units are pooled together.

Dorarnae

Ah yeah. Possibly? Since like identifying items is pretty much like that. Its kinda weird they did it that way with the identification since makes it kinda obvious what will become rare and what wont lol.

Have not tried to combine any rares / legendary etc together as need them for my other shitty lv 1 dolls when i get more covens set up

I remember you wanted a strong magic coven, you can get one
in the 2nd dungeon
in the event if you
defeat the female witch who is controlling the town, then find her the 2nd time when she has been converted to a near mindless drone by the little people.
should drop a coven that has fairly powerful magic in it. Though the problem with it is the DP cost is insane like in the 140 DP range. So you will only be able to get a few shots off with it. Though damage Ive hit around 7500 with it on occasion vs weak to magic enemies lol. Since that particular coven only allows for 1 member in the combat position you really do need a unit that has a good stock of DP + the magic damage rating forgot what the 3 letters for it was...

Im not sure where I got this other coven from but it had 3 spells in it which worked pretty good for the most part. First was a explosion vs. Single target, Second was mud? / poison vs. Group, Third was Mist? vs. All. The DP cost was not too bad either considering so had used that for quite some time.

Cant do a vid tonight but will take one tomorrow for you to show what it is. Though I would imagine you might? have it since I think? I have 2 of them.

I tried alchemy a bit more, tried to boost an armor and went with only 2 items and it costed me like 2800 mana. it didn't increase the stat much.

then I tried with another armor and boost it with a load of crap and the bonus it received were bigger.

So I guess the mana cost depend on the rank of items you're using.(rare/epic/legendary ect)

I found a coven that had group fire dmg, bit expensive (about 75dp) but it allows 2 member so I have like 1k dp.
I seem to be stuck on the third dungeon, I feel like I went into all pit/stairs ect, but I'll check again how to get behind those locked door...
bah I had to revisited to first dungeon for a event.

didn't know about the second dungeon. I'll check that.

redcrayon

Basically depending on the coven equipped you can have multiple characters placed in one of the 5 main slots.

Can contain for example up to 3 characters who appear in combat per slot with others becoming support units that can grant bonuses to the main combat units depending on the coven equipped.

kavun2.png

Since they say you can have a max of 40 characters taking place in battle at once which means you can have 40 / 5 = 8 dolls per slot (5 total) So with the previous talk about 3 actually in combat would make the other 5 support. Am unsure at the moment if you can have more than 3 in combat per slot. Would have to look at the info again.

All of those who are set to a coven gain exp though, which includes the support units. Though units set to support their stats are not included to the combat party it seems. So like their DP (MP) is not combined into the main pool. Only the DP from the combat units are pooled together.
I thought it was something like that, thanks!

Parakeetman

I tried alchemy a bit more, tried to boost an armor and went with only 2 items and it costed me like 2800 mana. it didn't increase the stat much.

then I tried with another armor and boost it with a load of crap and the bonus it received were bigger.

So I guess the mana cost depend on the rank of items you're using.(rare/epic/legendary ect)

I found a coven that had group fire dmg, bit expensive (about 75dp) but it allows 2 member so I have like 1k dp.
I seem to be stuck on the third dungeon, I feel like I went into all pit/stairs ect, but I'll check again how to get behind those locked door...
bah I had to revisited to first dungeon for a event.

didn't know about the second dungeon. I'll check that.

Am sure you figured this out too but seems like for now items can only be upgraded once so wasting stuff to experiment is a bad idea unless you save load a lot. ( ´△`)

Dorarnae

Am sure you figured this out too but seems like for now items can only be upgraded once so wasting stuff to experiment is a bad idea unless you save load a lot. ( ´△`)

I haven't tried much, but yeah when I create a new character it's getting a bit harder to gear him properly hehe.
I am using like 11 characters now, the last one I created, his bow suck so much lol. I hope I'll find something.

repairing doll parts(I seemed to lose more than 1 part too sometime) is starting to get a bit expensive now, I can sell a tons of crap, but I try to keep some for quest too.
also been using the portal quite a bit lately, that kinda hurt on mana(you bring back less mana).

Parakeetman

I haven't tried much, but yeah when I create a new character it's getting a bit harder to gear him properly hehe.
I am using like 11 characters now, the last one I created, his bow suck so much lol. I hope I'll find something.

repairing doll parts(I seemed to lose more than 1 part too sometime) is starting to get a bit expensive now, I can sell a tons of crap, but I try to keep some for quest too.
also been using the portal quite a bit lately, that kinda hurt on mana(you bring back less mana).

I didnt use the portal spell yet but those witch bells instead i think? I lost 35% with those when used. Usually only use em if im way above the mana limit as do not want to risk running into death again (°Д°) first time was bad enough

You will go wtf when i show how much crap i have accumulated should be able to record stuff in a few hrs.

Need to renew my jp ps+ so i can cloud store and transfer the save data fucking vita is terrible when you switch mem cards around.

Have been constantly killing those
nasty manbears in the 3rd dungeon
for exp and potential loot. Though its kinda irritating if two spawn at once lol. Vid is uploading at the moment, but fought one that was a "unique" version and it did 10k dmg to my fairly well equipped lv 30 peer fortress though that was from a crit. When it hit my lv 40 one she was left with only about 25% health and that was after the def buff too. lol

Dorarnae

I didnt use the portal spell yet but those witch bells instead i think? I lost 35% with those when used. Usually only use em if im way above the mana limit as do not want to risk running into death again (°Д°) first time was bad enough

You will go wtf when i show how much crap i have accumulated should be able to record stuff in a few hrs.

Need to renew my jp ps+ so i can cloud store and transfer the save data fucking vita is terrible when you switch mem cards around.

Have been constantly killing those
nasty manbears in the 3rd dungeon
for exp and potential loot. Though its kinda irritating if two spawn at once lol. Vid is uploading at the moment, but fought one that was a "unique" version and it did 10k dmg to my fairly well equipped lv 30 peer fortress though that was from a crit. When it hit my lv 40 one she was left with only about 25% health and that was after the def buff too. lol

ouch. and yeah 2 of these are quite rough. lvl40? wow you lvled quite a bit.

Parakeetman

ouch. and yeah 2 of these are quite rough. lvl40? wow you lvled quite a bit.

Its thanks to being able to stack exp as for whatever reason the exit exp bonus seems to constantly level everyone if you bring back a ton.

Highest characters are lv 42 lowest is the newly added star at lv 18

Am currently running 16 dolls at once. Working on maxing out covens even if it seems pointless lol though the cost reduction is good.

The peer fortress who got 1 shotted has around 403 def too lol. The main one I think is 420ish.

Its still going to be over an hour till the UL finishes then god knows how long with processing I reckon another hour. I should have ULed the shorter vids first.

lol in battle those
manbears
are starting to run from me. First it was the weak enemies that sometimes spawn with them, now its the main fuckers themselves fleeing for their lives. Hilarious.

Dorarnae that special coven i told you about just one shotted a
manbear
with it hilarious. Spell did a crit for 5500ish was the weaker spell too.

Parakeetman

Btw folks who do not want spoilers dont watch the vid below. The thing I fight is not really a boss, just more like a stronger enemy type. Though if you play without leveling a bit, you could consider them boss class due to their strength difference vs the player when you first run into this particular enemy type.

Heres the video, its still post-processing so will be potato quality for a while I imagine...

Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain - PSV TV - 3rd Dungeon Gameplay + "Named" Monster

*Full Vid

Start of the fight with the "Named" Monster
Poor, poor Peer Fortress lol Also notice how much HP the enemy has.

Exp collecting session had just finished. No idea why the colors are so saturated on playback. As they are fine in the YT uploads.
8SvdRS3.png

Didnt get any useful equipment this time around though. But at least the levels should help while go explore places Im not supposed to be again. Mana level was too low for the drop %age

Ephidel

The portal spell is actually awesome, it feels kind of like cheating. Before I was using it as a 'shit, get me out' card, making sure I had enough points 'left over' to escape if I needed to.
Then I realised it's really a 'save/heal without losing progress' card. If you pre-empt it by setting up two portals you're able to return to where you were before, except fully healed/saved. I also took some time to set up a handful of portals in places that are otherwise awkward or time consuming to get to, so that I can get straight to them, and if I do I set up a new portal there before I go off wandering. That way, even if I do port out from elsewhere later I can at least return to where I started.

Having continued my explorations:

Area 3 starts out fairly meh visually, but then most of it is
underground, there's only so much you can do I guess
oNZbqUk.jpg
vd2sTDC.jpg
It shined when it wasn't though, and improves the further in you get.
MHNYAsy.jpg
1XGUELa.jpg
gPSyYOt.jpg
I liked the idea of crawling under things to hide from the
troll creatures... although to be fair, I no longer actually need to hide from them, I just kind of do it by instinct :|
. I thought the dungeon design was really good though, it actually felt like I was exploring going between the
inside/outside
sections, uncovering passages, and doubling back to find new paths.

Area 4 is cool, I like the
jungle vibe with the giant leaves
Some of the enemies are
sort of cute with the little onions and gourds and flower people, but far more satisfying to set on fire or plunge into darkness than the lil' Area 2 guys

I also unlocked a new class, the Gothic Coppelia. The portraits are badass. Totally going to use the red one.
That said, erm, I understand Karma actually does something for Coppelias. For all my other characters I just let the karma value randomly generate, but would they be better off high or low?
I tried looking at one of the wikis which said high karma benefited the Immorality skill, but was a disadvantage because the crit rate was higher... so I assume that's the crit rate against the character, rather than the character's crit rate (because then it would be good)?
I'm confused x_x

Also, this is the best male portrait ever.

Edit: Ooh, a video. I'll watch it later! :)

Parakeetman

The portal spell is actually awesome, it feels kind of like cheating. Before I was using it as a 'shit, get me out' card, making sure I had enough points 'left over' to escape if I needed to.
Then I realised it's really a 'save/heal without losing progress' card. If you pre-empt it by setting up two portals you're able to return to where you were before, except fully healed/saved. I also took some time to set up a handful of portals in places that are otherwise awkward or time consuming to get to, so that I can get straight to them, and if I do I set up a new portal there before I go off wandering. That way, even if I do port out from elsewhere later I can at least return to where I started.

Having continued my explorations:

Area 3 starts out fairly meh visually, but then most of it is
underground, there's only so much you can do I guess

It shined when it wasn't though, and improves the further in you get.

I liked the idea of crawling under things to hide from the
troll creatures... although to be fair, I no longer actually need to hide from them, I just kind of do it by instinct :|
. I thought the dungeon design was really good though, it actually felt like I was exploring going between the
inside/outside
sections, uncovering passages, and doubling back to find new paths.

Area 4 is cool, I like the
jungle vibe with the giant leaves

Some of the enemies are
sort of cute with the little onions and gourds and flower people, but far more satisfying to set on fire or plunge into darkness than the lil' Area 2 guys

I also unlocked a new class, the Gothic Coppelia. The portraits are badass. Totally going to use the red one.

That said, erm, I understand Karma actually does something for Coppelias. For all my other characters I just let the karma value randomly generate, but would they be better off high or low?
I tried looking at one of the wikis which said high karma benefited the Immorality skill, but was a disadvantage because the crit rate was higher... so I assume that's the crit rate against the character, rather than the character's crit rate (because then it would be good)?
I'm confused x_x

Also, this is the best male portrait ever.

Edit: Ooh, a video. I'll watch it later! :)

It should be crit rate against the character also. So its a double edged sword. Which Id say is a pretty bad thing considering how risky it gets when that happens. Though am sure you could help even that out by partying the Coppelia with a Peer that draws the hate towards it. But in the events of all party / group type of attacks / spells that would hit the Coppelia regardless you will be rolling the dice each time and not sure if you want to risk that lol I have one of mine set up like that. Currently working on getting her up to speed with the rest of the PT lv wise.

I kinda just wander through the dungeons again from the start just to kill whatever is in the way along the way so I can build up my exp multiplier. Its the main reason why my party is so stupid high lv. Though even with the high level we still can get messed up pretty bad in the
slime area in the very first dungeon that you enter by breaking the wall to the left of the bucket back to the surface.
made it down a bunch of floors but there ran into a named version of one of the enemies that killed both peers in the 2 rounds of group based attacks it did. Then from there started taking damage to other PT members so had to run then bell out lol Kinda crazy considering am nearly lv 50. Which must mean that level is pretty high. The exp is kinda shit too for the amount of effort it takes to kill things. Going after the
manbears
are far more efficient. Though the
slimes and other whatnots
in that section I talked about would drop better items.

Dorarnae

made it to the 5th dungeon. seems to be a big place and so far it's nice.

I also revisited the first dungeon,
I mapped all floor but those boss are a bit Op lol.

I didn't know that people who aren't in the party gets exp at the end during the result. So I created a bunch of characters. those metal slime in the third dungeon when you need exp <3.

Parakeetman

made it to the 5th dungeon. seems to be a big place and so far it's nice.

I also revisited the first dungeon,
I mapped all floor but those boss are a bit Op lol.

I didn't know that people who aren't in the party gets exp at the end during the result. So I created a bunch of characters. those metal slime in the third dungeon when you need exp <3.

This game in general all of your strength comes from the equipment and covens you have obtained and to get those means you need to do multiple runs on a dungeon and hope you get good drops. Which means taking advantage of the mana system, which you are able to do even further
once you unlock the system to bring mana with you into the dungeons
though there is a bit of risk involved with that if you go over the limit or die losing all of what you brought with you.

For the time being if there are any situations where enemies are too strong all that means is you dont belong there honestly. If it is where you are supposed to be then it means you are rushing too much with the game itself. Though in general that doesnt seem to happen thankfully lol. Unless you get really unlucky at a normal level and run into something like what appeared in my latest video. As when that occurs then yeah its more bad luck than anything and why always good to check before starting combat. As there seems to be no visual cues for named enemies outside of the unique names.

Right now Ive 1 shotted a couple of bosses already with magic did around 7-8k dmg am using the special coven you get from
defeating the witch boss from the 2nd dungeon when you find her turned into one of those mindless drones by the little people in an area that I suppose was a prison. After you defeat her at the castle, you can find her again in the prison? and battle will occur with her appearing as one of those "giant soldiers" cept shes equipped with her wand instead of the default spear. After defeating her you should get the coven that has 2 powerful spells on it. Though the DP cost is 100-140 about
. Though I know that some sections am most def not supposed to be in considering enemies are turning red when they spot me and Im lv 55 mind you. So what does that mean if you wander into such areas at lv 30-40 lol.

One thing for sure is that this game has just enough to make the exploration highly enjoyable and the dungeons are all quite different with their appearance. Really must say that it is a great joy to wander around in the dungeons in this game. Quite possibly the top of the list for portable titles exploration wise.

Btw if you are talking about those enemies which give high xp and have low health, which look like some sort of organ,
they also exist in the first dungeon in the 3rd floor i think it was?
Wait I was wrong same enemy graphic, but found the enemy you were talking about. They seem to spawn in a specific location
in the 3rd dungeon.
the weaker pink ones also spawn too on occasion. Crushing damage seems to work the best on em.

Am glad with this game that the confuse status does not seem to cause your dolls to attack other team members. Since if that happened man would have so many dead allies due to how much damage my melee characters can dish out. And back to the topic of fall damage it most def seems to be calculated by taking #% of the total HP rather than a set amount. So you will always take a rather high amount regardless of your level. Had noticed this recently with my lv 50+ dolls when
I was not paying attention and fell into a hole that was placed in a dark zone
and the damage taken shows the calculation mentioned earlier in this paragraph.

Do worry about how bad are enemies going to get later on with how many resistances we have on our armors makes me wonder if we will have to try and get specific sets made to not get totally screwed by negative effects. Since this game most def does not pull punches with those. On top of the most important which is making sure your crit resist is high. Im curious about the stats on those goddamned
fleas
as they seem to crit a lot for whatever reason. Though could just be bad luck, regardless of that thankfully being so overleveled we move first now. But earlier on was getting gore critted a lot by em.

Yeah Ive been using them finally also. Originally as mentioned before I just started dungeons all the way from the beginning in general to collect all the treasure / harvest points and get the exp bonus / mana collecting.

Though now with dungeons getting more complex yeah using those portals like you said are a huge time saver.

Am glad I had a massive surplus of mana in general as have bought everything possible so far in the game where Im at. The best thing too is having the inventory space maxed out so I dont have to worry about tossing things.

One thing I kinda wished is if there was a way to actually do something with all of the duplicate covens you have. Still am trying to find more useful ones. As usual going around maxing out the duplicates for no reason lol Since seeing myself equipped with maxed out ones bothers me like Im wasting coven exp (´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`)

---

With this title still have not touched any wikis on it as the experience is just far too amusing going in blind. Though there is one thing that Id like to look up eventually is those books which change your dolls personality. As we have no idea what it actually does before using it in terms of the stats changes. I think...

This most def is a game to play blind the first time through as it takes away from the sense of adventure otherwise. Am glad thats what Im doing so far since everything has been great thanks to that.

For the Marginal Maze 3rd female portrait / voice
you get it from completing one of those apprentice requests as the reward.
Shes pretty awesome design / voice wise so I went and set her up as another major nuke build, though still have not found a useful double magic user coven yet. Plus its going to be hard to give up my current one due to the insane damage output Ill be losing. lol

Working on my Coppelia also, though she also is sitting as a support unit gaining exp as do not have any 3 slot covens yet to add her in. Am trying to go with a stun build. As causing enemies to lose a turn is indeed useful. Shes equipped pretty well also thanks to my packrat ass having a massive surplus of equipment and being lucky with finding some damned good hammers. Though cant decide if I want her to use the 2H or 1H + Shield build. Right now going with 1H + Shield since there isnt much of a stats diff between the 1H and 2H at the moment.

One tiny "issue" if you can even call it one that Im having with the game is that there are no alternative colors for the same character portraits. Which is with eventually how many dolls you can make, you will have a lot of overlap due to that. Its the one small unfortunate thing which I found odd that they overlooked considering how much effort overall they put into the title and this most def was no small budget title either, which made the decision for no alternative colors weird. I dont mind having only 3 voices per gender, but the colors would have helped keep things more varied for easier visual identification via portrait icons.

In total there are 42 "unique" portraits with the main classes having 3 male, 3 female x 6 classes = 36 portraits and the 2 unlocked classes having 3 each. = 6 Portraits / Or it might be 41 depending if the Reaper has a 3rd portrait or not. Am curious if there are any other classes besides those 2.

Repairs are most def not going to be cheap now that we are in the lv 60 range.

----

Should have uploaded this earlier but totally forgot about it. As usual spoilers and whatnots. This time 3rd Dungeon boss getting roflstomped.

Forgot to record the fight with one of the bosses in the 4th dungeon. It would have died in 1 round if it didnt block my magic attack during that first attack

Dorarnae

Should have uploaded this earlier but totally forgot about it. As usual spoilers and whatnots. This time 3rd Dungeon boss getting roflstomped.

Forgot to record the fight with one of the bosses in the 4th dungeon. It would have died in 1 round if it didnt block my magic attack during that first attack

that coven with your tank, I mean that heal hehe.

I just met a boss where I can barely dmg it. even my strongest attack does like 200 dmg lol. and it hit me for 5k sometime.

Ephidel

As when that occurs then yeah its more bad luck than anything and why always good to check before starting combat. As there seems to be no visual cues for named enemies outside of the unique names.
This has caught me out a few times now. The first was in the very first dungeon when I was still starting out, some of the pumpkins were stronger than others.
In A2 I think some of the (type of enemy)
Pig Riders
were similar?
Then when I was wandering around A3one of the (type of enemy)
worms
was vastly stronger than all the others I'd found until that point and it slaughtered me.

It should be crit rate against the character. Which Id say is a pretty bad thing considering how risky it gets when that happens. Though am sure you could help even that out by partying the Coppelia with a Peer that draws the hate towards it. But in the events of all party / group type of attacks / spells that would hit the Coppelia regardless you will be rolling the dice each time and not sure if you want to risk that lol
Cheers for the info :)

I decided I am masochistic enough to invite mass crits on myself, so I created two, Kakia who will suffer through having 99 Karma and Arete who will waltz around with 0 and I'll see if I notice a difference.
(... so far I'm noticing that giving low health to a character who is actively asking enemies to destroy her isn't the best idea).
I created them another Fort that I'll group together with them too (at the moment he's with Arete. Kakia is teaming up with my shinobushi to smash things to bits).

In Area 4 I defeated the
ugly purple flower
. Then I took the
caterpillar train
to the next part of the zone and back again to double check it worked in reverse (considering I can't work out how to get out of the first part of the zone to get back to the home portal it seemed like a good idea). It did! Then I went go back and
it got the knock with me so I had to fight and defeat it. After that I used it again just to make sure it would still work and I hadn't screwed myself over by fighting it, and it worked as normal, so I kept going. Then I ported out when a couple of my dolls broke body parts
because I didn't realise that 1)
There was a new entrance almost right next to me
and 2) I'd need more Camphor to get back again.
So if I can just take a moment to vent: Camphor sucks. I don't know if I have terrible luck or what but it took me hours to get more of the stuff.

When I finally got some I needed a small break from banging my head against that wall so I went back to Area 3 to try and defeat the boss I had left there that appears when you're following
Red Riding Hood
around. I got him in the end but it took far longer than it should have done because
he kept blinding my party so they couldn't cast on him x_x

Then I went and wandered around on A3's bottom floor, the one with all the (area gimmick)
warp tiles
The enemy at the end
utterly destroyed me with the spinning crotch of death. I'm guessing I shouldn't have gone there yet after all XD
wJLZZW5.jpg
zMnemdD.jpg

I also went for a wander around the lower floors of Area1 again. I can survive down there now, but it's still a bit risky, so then I went back to where I was meant to be and cleared out the back end of Area 4.

I love A4's dark section.
PE5bGvl.jpg
xHj8tba.jpg
... okay, the screens are a little naff, but it worked in game.

I dodged the FOEs because I tried fighting one once and owch. Also, because it looks terrifying :x

But I did fight the zone end event boss, the
giant fly thing
. It took me a couple of tries and I had to switch my Covens around so I had some more
fire attribute magic
available for use but I got it down. I was just a little sad that as Kakia repeatedly critically gored it to death she died before it did. She deserved that xp :(

And in some non-dungeon comments.

Sickles.
I made liberal use of one in A4 because it was so useful to be able to cleave multiple enemies with an effective weapon at once, but why oh why do they take up foot slots? Both hands I get, but feet as well? I have this hilarious mental image of him trying to kick it around with his feet.

I love the (... witches familiar?). I want a talking
spider
!

I do like how they actually have different clothes in some of the chat sections. I liked the stylish hoods Dolonia and Luka gained when they were out in the rain :)

Ephidel

For the Marginal Maze 3rd female portrait / voice
you get it from completing one of those apprentice requests as the reward.
Shes pretty awesome design / voice wise so I went and set her up as another major nuke build, though still have not found a useful double magic user coven yet. Plus its going to be hard to give up my current one due to the insane damage output Ill be losing. lol
I swap my covens quite frequently to try new ones out, but I've mostly been using these two for my casters, although there are probably better options as I know they're not particularly efficient, dp wise.

Parakeetman

I swap my covens quite frequently to try new ones out, but I've mostly been using these two for my casters, although there are probably better options as I know they're not particularly efficient, dp wise.

I have a ton of different ones, though at the moment when reading the stats and skills they have there is nothing in particular that is interesting. Or can most likely match my current damage output lol.

Same goes for the other covens as well. So am progressing further to see if I can pick up more useful ones.

They do seem to be tied to the various dungeons in the sense of drops though so progressing to get far better ones most def is the way to go. Seeing as there doesnt appear to be any reason to keep 5 of the same thing Ive been deleting some of the overly common ones also.

Im still scrounging around for more DP increasing items. Though might lean towards higher magic damage too. So far luck has only been so-so bunch of blue staffs but nothing really spectacular yet.

Got fairly lucky with some accessories so that helps. Which reminds me I should go combine a bunch of random junk as the lists are getting a bit long to scroll through

Dorarnae

have you guys unlocked the demon reaper? I have the other class but I guess I need to finish a request to unlock it?

I am not 100% sure what's left to do except some optional boss, but kinda wish there was a bit more content, like a dungeon or two more. hehe

Dorarnae

ok I got it. sigh silly me, there was a door somewhere I didn't go
(and it didn't show on map because of how the zone is...)

not only it unlocked the new class but also two new zone. so I am happy now :)

Parakeetman

Finally got a chance to play more.

With how some of the larger (purple enemy icon) types are, you would think the exp payout would be a little bit better for example
the giant onion
only gives around 3300? EXP I think. And for the effort you put into killing one due to how much HP it has not really worth it. Much faster and more efficient to go slaughter the
dirty bears
instead for 2000~ per head with the larger ones. And if you stick to the lower floors you can take on multiple at once.

Though was hilarious fried the
big onion
in one shot for 15k damage with a spell crit. Though that was after 1 hit got through on my theater star doing more damage that she had HP. Pretty bad considering we are lv 65 lol

Dorarnae

Finally got a chance to play more.

With how some of the larger (purple enemy icon) types are, you would think the exp payout would be a little bit better for example
the giant onion
only gives around 3300? EXP I think. And for the effort you put into killing one due to how much HP it has not really worth it. Much faster and more efficient to go slaughter the
dirty bears
instead for 2000~ per head with the larger ones. And if you stick to the lower floors you can take on multiple at once.

Though was hilarious fried the
big onion
in one shot for 15k damage with a spell crit. Though that was after 1 hit got through on my theater star doing more damage that she had HP. Pretty bad considering we are lv 65 lol

nice. I was doing about 3-6k with my mage, aint much but the cost is quite low so for exploring it's good. but I just tried a new coven and I did 22k and I have two of that coven, I guess I'll level more mage heh.

Dorarnae

wow the final boss is something. I did about
70-90k
I think but he's not even flashing red and one of the attack just kill my entire team -_-

pretty sure if I lower the difficulty I can beat it, but I wonder how without doing that. guess I'll have to test a few coven skill ect to see what they do.

Dorarnae

so I've been farming a lot lately, I am class changing a few characters...wish we could hold more than 12 skills hehe.also need to be lvl99 to transfer certain skill :(
I hope this will be enough to beat the remaining boss.

Parakeetman

lol seems like you got a lot of time to progress. you must have had fun trying to fully map out places by jumping down holes and shit lol always LOVE when I have to do that as its terrifying to think
how many floors one might fall, let alone the insane amount of damage you take regardless of level lol

had read that the game most def is not short on content though which was good to see.

http://game.girldoll.org/refrain-review/
*All in JP also dont suggest trying to look at it if you have not played / cleared the game as this person puts in SSes and such at times which are from late game or talks about endgame stuff in the review. But as a source very trustworthy.

will have to progress more, though will depend on the weekend schedule as have a whole fucking mess of stuff to take care of

Dorarnae

lol seems like you got a lot of time to progress. you must have had fun trying to fully map out places by jumping down holes and shit lol always LOVE when I have to do that as its terrifying to think
how many floors one might fall, let alone the insane amount of damage you take regardless of level lol

had read that the game most def is not short on content though which was good to see.

http://game.girldoll.org/refrain-review/
*All in JP also dont suggest trying to look at it if you have not played / cleared the game as this person puts in SSes and such at times which are from late game or talks about endgame stuff in the review. But as a source very trustworthy.

will have to progress more, though will depend on the weekend schedule as have a whole fucking mess of stuff to take care of

yeah I am at the end and thing is the boss just deal insane amount of damage and is very fast. I've been trying to get some fast character that can do gore attack more frequently...
apparently there's some gold slime in the game, I never encountered those, will try to find them because I am going a bit crazy with the metal one. lol.

and yeah I got some time, still not working heh. but I'll start somewhere next week, so it'll slow down.

Parakeetman

yeah I am at the end and thing is the boss just deal insane amount of damage and is very fast. I've been trying to get some fast character that can do gore attack more frequently...
apparently there's some gold slime in the game, I never encountered those, will try to find them because I am going a bit crazy with the metal one. lol.

and yeah I got some time, still not working heh. but I'll start somewhere next week, so it'll slow down.

Honestly I still have no fucking idea how "speed" in this game works since it still seems to be "random" on occasion to me with who goes first and why. Which also includes the enemies. Drives me insane on occasion. I know the stats that govern the turn speed but still there are times where it doesnt seem to matter lol. For attacks do believe part of the speed is also attached to the speed of the weapon itself. Spells seem to go on their own timer?

Dorarnae

Honestly I still have no fucking idea how "speed" in this game works since it still seems to be "random" on occasion to me with who goes first and why. Which also includes the enemies. Drives me insane on occasion. I know the stats that govern the turn speed but still there are times where it doesnt seem to matter lol. For attacks do believe part of the speed is also attached to the speed of the weapon itself. Spells seem to go on their own timer?

I don't know but the ability from the demon reaper helps quite a bit when you're 100% full.

I tried a little what I built(still only lvl 50-60 ish though), I can manage to gore hit a few parts but the last part always seem hard to get.

I came close to kill another boss once(thanks to some bad status that made it skip a turn or two) but eventually it killed my entire party one shot and healed itself for 100k ish -_-

edit: wow I know to beat them now. there was a coven in a chest that is just too good lol.

Dorarnae

finally beat it. just need to do 2-3 extra boss and finish one quest, but I think I'll take a break now with this game.

nm looks like there's post game. I thought it was new game +...will check if there's anything new..

edit: so I finally beat all the ''hidden'' boss, got their items. When you beat the final boss with all those item, you can continue to the post game.

Ephidel

Interesting to hear that there's post-game as well, quite looking forward to it but at my current rate it will take me quite a while to get there.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I want to say again that they really have nailed the sense of exploration. I love wandering around new areas wondering what else I'll find.

I've been through most of Area 5, and quite like the colour schemes the different sections go through.

North-ish.
Oom8xa0.jpg
y2RadZE.jpg
South-West-ish.
yWLFg5C.jpg
aiEMxn3.jpg
South-East-ish.
gWNRSsc.jpg
KWnnC5U.jpg
I like the perspective trick with the (wall decoration)
cages

I've probably spent entirely too long wandering around this place because now the FOEs run away from me, which makes them more annoying to kill :(

I like the creature design here though.
A
lice
has some cute soldiers.
FhPLpVp.jpg
LigalGn.jpg
Wait. No. I take it back. That's not cute at all x_x
Ah well, at least A
lice
is cu-
... Okay, maybe not :(
How about-
Erm. Well, Ara enjoyed her evening, I guess :|

More seriously though, it's fun :)
This character got a laugh out of me when I realised I'd actually already met her (or part of her)
I tried to beat her earlier but with all the misses and invalids that's not going to happen any time soon.

Even the regular monster design is pretty good. I like the Red Oni/Blue Oni Berserker Pair :)
And whatever the fuck this thing is creeps me out a bit actually.

Briefly went back to Area 1 to explore again as well. I can survive just fine down there now, although if one of the identical-but-stronger horned slimes shows up I'm screwed.
The FOEs are pretty tough but they look great.
I was pretty sure he was going to walk the floor with me but then one of my Stars somehow got a 26k gore hit with a regular attack. The reward isn't quite worth the hassle though. I tried to defeat a couple of the event bosses down there but that's clearly not going to happen yet either - I was only doing single digit damage on the g
iant
f
ish
:|

Other than that I've made myself a few more Mazes with different alignments and stat allocations to see what sort of difference it really makes.

I've unlocked the story event that leads to the (ending)
Dead End
. I backed out and decided to finish up some of the other events I had pending first, but I'm assuming I probably have to trigger that to continue?

Parakeetman

Been way too busy with stuff and have not had time to play much of anything. But finally should be able to progress more. Or more like get my characters to lv 99 lol They are sitting at lv 75 at the moment. Kinda crazy how we still can take damage from the NMs even though the icons run from us all over the place. The location is the
towers
man that place is huge. Great way to rack up mana and other junk though.

Parakeetman

Im curious to see if the "death" enemy type changes with the dungeons or if its exactly the same. On top of if it is even possible to kill it. Should go experiment with that next time and drag into the dungeon as much mana as possible to trigger it lol

Parakeetman

how's the story ?

Pretty good game gives you lots of story bits inbetween when it asks you to return topside to progress the story. Voice work is the usual high quality stuff for a main NIS title. Very good balance of exploration and story.

Ruka's JP voice actress does such a fantastic job with her character as shes just way too cute a lot of the time. Her terrible singing is hilarious. Lots of JP fans said similar comments.

Event scenes in the dungeon itself are not voiced though. But all of the topside main events are.

Dorarnae

Im curious to see if the "death" enemy type changes with the dungeons or if its exactly the same. On top of if it is even possible to kill it. Should go experiment with that next time and drag into the dungeon as much mana as possible to trigger it lol

yeah I killed it in the first dungeon. I haven't tried in other dungeon, but not really worth it to kill it.

Parakeetman

yeah I killed it in the first dungeon. I haven't tried in other dungeon, but not really worth it to kill it.

Might try that, currently sick as fuck at the moment. Painkillers are not helping. Good times. Will see how things go right now staring at the monitor isnt helping this splitting headache.

I should go try to activate the one in the current dungeon Im in to see if its different. As the only place where I ran into one was my initial fuck up in the first dungeon before knowing about the mana overflow system properly.

Dorarnae

Might try that, currently sick as fuck at the moment. Painkillers are not helping. Good times. Will see how things go right now staring at the monitor isnt helping this splitting headache.

I should go try to activate the one in the current dungeon Im in to see if its different. As the only place where I ran into one was my initial fuck up in the first dungeon before knowing about the mana overflow system properly.

hope you get better.

I managed to advance quite a bit in the post game dungeon and I think I just hit another wall, boss who can hit for 6-8k to everyone and can do that two time a turn, some of my characters can barely survive one of those attack -_-

edit: finally made it to the final boss of the post game, it start off easy but at one point the damage is just too crazy, I wonder if there's something to remove all those debuff.

Ephidel

Aye, hope you feel better soon :)

I'm still going through the game, currently in A6?A7? The
Memory Cube
. K
laus
has been "Punch Me: The Character" ever since they were introduced but damn if it isn't still the case. I hope it turns out that
Dolonia has geass-ed him and shoved him into a ravine or something. Or will get to by the end of the game
I'm on the
5th
floor where the
floor and ceiling rotate to allow you to continue
and I find that stupidly cool even though I know it's just a visual gimmick.
I really like this zone visually (though the regular enemies are kind of naff,
more flies and flowers ahoy
), but I can't get imgur to accept any of my uploads at the moment so this post is sadly screenshot-less :(

I did a quick run back through previous dungeons to see which chests I could open that I'd missed before, and now I have a bunch of new character portraits available. I kind of want to create a load of new characters to make use of them, but I honestly don't even know where to start. I did make a Reaper to experiment with but at the moment she's just soaking up xp until she's had enough of a boost to give her a fair try.
I thought about creating some characters to fill some of the specific class/gender/personality conditions some of my unused covens have so I can try them out, but I'm kind of loathed to do that when I know I could probably spend hours trying to think of names and plan them all out when really I just want to keep exploring ^^;

I also realised I now have access to the &#24375;&#36939;&#12500;&#12456;&#12525; personality, and yeesh that thing has lousy percentages. I assume there must be some uber-coven somewhere to make choosing that one worth it :|

Parakeetman

Thanks to both of you.

Today doing much better, gotta head out and pick up some new meds though.

When I get back plan to get back into the game for a bit and test out just how bad the stupid death enemy is. Do wonder if the excessive amount of mana causes them to drop decent items if you kill a bunch repeatedly.

Another thing I need to test out is for my Shinobushi's they are falling behind in damage even though I have some pretty decent equipment. The question is if 2H weapons are better for them or all of the stats bonuses that come with using 2 weapons at once is better. Which also includes the potential for double crits. Though the downside is lower damage output esp if the double attack does not proc. Right now my Knights are out damaging them by about 50% Id say and this is on enemies that do not have any sort of slash / piercing resistance too.

Im still not sure how speed works in the game as it still does appear random with how the stats vs. character turn in battle works. Reason why Im trying to figure out what the formula breakdown is, is that am working on trying to get my Gothic to become faster so they can get their attack out faster. As its a HUGE help against the
metal nutsacks
for farming exp. My crit centric one is still leveling up a bit and trying to get better equipment so they do not get one shotted. Its kinda hard to find a good hammer also. But I managed to get some from
the tower
so might hang out there and keep going at it with the FOEs inside using a high mana pool to increase the drop chances.

hope you get better.

I managed to advance quite a bit in the post game dungeon and I think I just hit another wall, boss who can hit for 6-8k to everyone and can do that two time a turn, some of my characters can barely survive one of those attack -_-

edit: finally made it to the final boss of the post game, it start off easy but at one point the damage is just too crazy, I wonder if there's something to remove all those debuff.

Btw are you using the covens formations? Since the defensive one compounded with having a taunt then defense up skill should be a large help. Though since you are saying that its doing all party attacks unfortunately taunt wont help much for that lol. Though that taunt skill is the main reason why Im having problems switching my peer fortresses coven at the moment. As right now have not found a coven that has Taunt II "&#25361;&#30330;II" on it asides from that one.

I did a quick run back through previous dungeons to see which chests I could open that I'd missed before, and now I have a bunch of new character portraits available. I kind of want to create a load of new characters to make use of them, but I honestly don't even know where to start. I did make a Reaper to experiment with but at the moment she's just soaking up xp until she's had enough of a boost to give her a fair try.
I thought about creating some characters to fill some of the specific class/gender/personality conditions some of my unused covens have so I can try them out, but I'm kind of loathed to do that when I know I could probably spend hours trying to think of names and plan them all out when really I just want to keep exploring ^^;

I also realised I now have access to the &#24375;&#36939;&#12500;&#12456;&#12525; personality, and yeesh that thing has lousy percentages. I assume there must be some uber-coven somewhere to make choosing that one worth it :|

Am quite glad that actually it seems the extra portraits are not random but in specific chests. Which is a good thing. Always try to make new characters as soon as I find one lol Still though do wish there were more portraits or at least color differences... As mentioned before its weird having same units. The voices are great for all of them though.

---

Separate note did pick up the guide book only because wanted to see WTF all of those personality books do stats wise. As we have no other way of telling in game...

Dorarnae

Another thing I need to test out is for my Shinobushi's they are falling behind in damage even though I have some pretty decent equipment. The question is if 2H weapons are better for them or all of the stats bonuses that come with using 2 weapons at once is better. Which also includes the potential for double crits. Though the downside is lower damage output esp if the double attack does not proc. Right now my Knights are out damaging them by about 50% Id say and this is on enemies that do not have any sort of slash / piercing resistance too.

Btw are you using the covens formations? Since the defensive one compounded with having a taunt then defense up skill should be a large help. Though since you are saying that its doing all party attacks unfortunately taunt wont help much for that lol. Though that taunt skill is the main reason why Im having problems switching my peer fortresses coven at the moment. As right now have not found a coven that has Taunt II "&#25361;&#30330;II" on it asides from that one.

yeah I am mostly using my shinobushi's in hope of landing a gore attack. (I have the crit rate up from demon reaper and the increased chance of crit to do gore from gothic).
sadly it doesn't happen as much as I'd want. but it does happen a bit more I think.

I haven't test much the formation things, but so far I am liking having 3 in back row and 2 front, having my 3 back row regen hp at the end of each turn.(I put my fortress on the back).

You'll eventually get better coven and some with better exp gain too.(well at least in the post game).

What I need to find now, is how to cancel all the debuff the boss is using on me or increase my fire resist..., getting hit with very effective attack=ouch lol.

Parakeetman

yeah I am mostly using my shinobushi's in hope of landing a gore attack. (I have the crit rate up from demon reaper and the increased chance of crit to do gore from gothic).
sadly it doesn't happen as much as I'd want. but it does happen a bit more I think.

I haven't test much the formation things, but so far I am liking having 3 in back row and 2 front, having my 3 back row regen hp at the end of each turn.(I put my fortress on the back).

You'll eventually get better coven and some with better exp gain too.(well at least in the post game).

What I need to find now, is how to cancel all the debuff the boss is using on me or increase my fire resist..., getting hit with very effective attack=ouch lol.

Yeah you should pay attention to the formation stuff as does seem to be fairly important to get the most out of your party. Though the hard part is trying to decide what to use even more so when you have equipment / characters specialized for things lol Im considering switching to a magic centric formation just so I can do even higher stupid damage with my main caster and the spells she uses. Though will mess up my overall party as right now we are more an offensive type of setup and the magic formation would kinda make one of the covens useless I think.

Top Bottom