• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowboy Bebop (finally) releasing in Blu-Ray form in North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
These things always confused me, how exactly do they take make these things that were never drawn for HD resolution look good in HD? Also, if this is possible... why hasn't Nickelodeon done this with Avatar the Last Airbender?
Cowboy Bebop was traditionally animated with cels and shot on film. There is a TON of available detail for an HD remaster, whereas something like Avatar was animated digitally at a fixed resolution. You can't really clean that up much without reanimating it.

Faiz

These things always confused me, how exactly do they take make these things that were never drawn for HD resolution look good in HD? Also, if this is possible... why hasn't Nickelodeon done this with Avatar the Last Airbender?

The difference is shot on film vs shot on video / created digitally. Anything shot on film can be mastered at any resolution you like because it's an analog image. Video means the resolution is determined when it's actually created.

Edit: beaten because my son was pitching a fit over his puzzle being stuck together lol.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Art books are cool. I'm really curious about on-disc content, though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
most of bebop is 35mm film but there are parts that are SD digital like the CG space gate sequences. also all of the episode "pierrot le fou" is digitally animated. don't remember ep number but it's toward the end of the series.

that's all though.

is the art book gonna be like a postage stamp
Likely be the height / length of a DVD/bluray case to fit in the art box. Something like this I'd imagine:
qiXf9TX.png

(source)

Tablo

<3 Cowboy Bebop, so many feels, that episode with Faye learning about her past with the
Betamax tape
. I actually cried ;_;
And when Ed
leaves with that song playing "Call me, Call me"
Oh man, there shouldn't be a difference in quality between this and the pre-existing JP blurays right? I'd still buy this off principle or for a friend as a gift, it's a goddam masterpiece, and the movie is amazing too.
Can't praise it enough, and to think I put off watching it for years because I thought it would be overrated as all hell, couldn't be further from the truth.

PolishQ

I guess no version of the boxset will contain the movie? Was hoping for that. I know you can buy it separately on blu but would be nice to get everything in the same box. And the soundtracks.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I guess no version of the boxset will contain the movie? Was hoping for that. I know you can buy it separately on blu but would be nice to get everything in the same box. And the soundtracks.
I'm hoping for a rerelease of the NA edition of the movie with extras and a 5.1 sound option.

FootballFan

Didn't know about this(blu-ray of Cowboy Bebop).

I only started watching Cowboy Bebop a few days ago. On Episode 5 atm. Pretty good.

Pretty sure Sony still has the rights to the movie in the U.S.

Pre-order kept for the Amazon edition - really, why wouldn't you at this point? The release is months away, there's plenty of time to cancel and it's likely the pre-order price will only drift higher.

For example, I pre-ordered the GITS 25th Anniversary blu-ray when it was first announced as it was less than $18. It's close to full price now.

Fjordson

For example, I pre-ordered the GITS 25th Anniversary blu-ray when it was first announced as it was less than $18. It's close to full price now.
Shit, was it really?? I have it pre-ordered but I missed out on that.

And yeah, I'm probably just going to keep with the Amazon order. Unless the Funimation set comes with a full soundtrack or something dope like that.

Faiz

Shit, was it really?? I have it pre-ordered but I missed out on that.

And yeah, I'm probably just going to keep with the Amazon order. Unless the Funimation set comes with a full soundtrack or something dope like that.

Yep, I got in at $18 as well.

And yeah if the Funi edition comes with a full soundtrack I'd be tempted, but there have been so many releases of the soundtrack over the years I could probably live without it if it means buying a bunch of other useless crap along with it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The full soundtrack, including alternate and extra material, is quite a few discs - is it realistic to think they'd actually include the whole thing?

noquarter

How do you not already own the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack. What have you been doing with your life.
I've been wondering this as well. It is one of the best soundtracks released. Ended up buying the discs separately, then getting the box set years ago. Was just listening to them the other day.

If they were going to add some kind of music disc, I would hope it would be Music For Freelance, it is one of the best remix CDs, and the 'broadcaster' is already speaking English, so would feel original to the set.

Faiz

The full soundtrack, including alternate and extra material, is quite a few discs - is it realistic to think they'd actually include the whole thing?

Probably not. Sounds like a clearance nightmare. JP music industry is all kinda of crazy.

reminds me I still have to buy it from amazon.uk, love this anime!

If you don't care about the packaging, you might want to wait for the complete set that comes out in 9 days. The Vol. 1 and 2 Collector's Edition sets have some encoding errors on two or three episodes that are visible for a split second. Anime Limited did promise though to send out replacement discs to owners of the CE releases, once the complete set comes out.

Erigu

most of bebop is 35mm film but there are parts that are SD digital like the CG space gate sequences. also all of the episode "pierrot le fou" is digitally animated. don't remember ep number but it's toward the end of the series.
Episode 20.

that's all though.
I seem to remember there also was episode 23?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
If you don't care about the packaging, you might want to wait for the complete set that comes out in 9 days. The Vol. 1 and 2 Collector's Edition sets have some encoding errors on two or three episodes that are visible for a split second. Anime Limited did promise though to send out replacement discs to owners of the CE releases, once the complete set comes out.

this is excellent advice man, thanks, you saved my purchase. i don't much care for booklets and giggles so it's the best deal for me

There's an official, comprehensive Cowboy Bebop music box set? Or are you guys talking about the 5 disc (4 regular, 1 mini) "Boxed Set" which is more of a greatest hits with different takes on some tracks and some unreleased stuff? I own all the CDs including that set so I'm a little confused... and hope I didn't miss a release!

Fjordson

There's an official, comprehensive Cowboy Bebop music box set? Or are you guys talking about the 5 disc (4 regular, 1 mini) "Boxed Set" which is more of a greatest hits with different takes on some tracks and some unreleased stuff? I own all the CDs including that set so I'm a little confused... and hope I didn't miss a release!
Yeah, it gets a little confusing all the different discs.

This is the one I'm seeing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PH0Y0E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, it gets a little confusing all the different discs.

This is the one I'm seeing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PH0Y0E/?tag=neogaf0e-20
There are so many bootlegs of that set it's hard to tell which Amazon listing legit.

I have a real copy (4 CDs + 1 mini CD + thick booklet, poster, etc) but the cover is different. I'm not sure of the silhouette variant was a first press bonus or is simply the cover of the bootleg.

Regardless, that set has a lot of dialogue and alternate takes of tracks. It's awesome but is only a small section of Bebop music.

If people want everything, as I did, you need a legit copy of that set PLUS:

OST1
Vitaminless
OST 2: No Disc
OST 3: Blue

Music for Freelance - this is a remix disc but still required owning in my opinion

Ask DNA - movie EP
Future Blues - movie OST
Cowgirl Ed - bonus movie disc

Tank! The! Best! - compilation with some game music

Space Bio Charge - Seatbelts / Kanno retrospective that has mostly old stuff but I think has retakes / variations. Own it, still not sure.

I believe that covers everything unique... At the very least it's what I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom