• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowboy Bebop (finally) releasing in Blu-Ray form in North America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I pre-ordered on Amazon a few weeks back. The Funimation packaging sounds cool, but the artbook is a must for me.

Too bad we won't ever get the Japanese special edition posted a few pages back. That thing is God-like.

Japanese LE remains the best, but I'm okay with Funi's version being a fraction of the cost.

A3q1Nd1.jpg

(JP LE)

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Preorder switched from premium to standard, I ain't payin' no 30 extra bucks for stupid DVDs and an artbook.

tuffy

Glad I pre-ordered on Amazon a few weeks back. The Funimation packaging sounds cool, but the artbook is a must for me.

Too bad we won't ever get the Japanese special edition posted a few pages back. That thing is God-like.
It's a great set but it's also tiny. The box's height and width aren't much bigger than your average CD case, for comparison. I like to hope the new special edition will have a bigger artbook and such.

It's a great set but it's also tiny. The box's height and width aren't much bigger than your average CD case, for comparison. I like to hope the new special edition will have a bigger artbook and such.

Ah, the picture is deceiving. I was expecting vinyl sized set. Still looks awesome.

Speaking of vinyl, I would kill for a Bebop soundtrack set on vinyl.

Goliath

Eh, sometimes I am envious of the stuff Japan gets that we don't but to be fair they PAY for it, big time. The prices for some of these Blu rays, especially limited edition ones are CRAZY HIGH.

Goliath

Hurts my heart that we won't get the Japanese le :(

You can get it on Amazon in the U.S. All for the low low price of $523. Seriously though, how does Japan price their Blu rays? I mean studio Ghibli Blu rays are like $60-80?! I really am not all that jealous that we may not get a pretty box but can watch these movies and shows for reasonable prices. Heck the U.K get's even better prices for boxed sets. I imported my Batman (Tim Burton) box set and my Universal Monsters box set from there because they are so much cheaper, even after shipping.

Fjordson

That Japanese LE is incredible, but I can't complain too much about the Amazon edition for $70. I'm sure the art books will be neat.

The Funimation edition was super disappointing to me. I was ready to cancel my Amazon pre-order thinking they would have some dope exclusive extras, but a display easel and some art cards? Eh.

Faiz

You can get it on Amazon in the U.S. All for the low low price of $523. Seriously though, how does Japan price their Blu rays? I mean studio Ghibli Blu rays are like $60-80?! I really am not all that jealous that we may not get a pretty box but can watch these movies and shows for reasonable prices. Heck the U.K get's even better prices for boxed sets. I imported my Batman (Tim Burton) box set and my Universal Monsters box set from there because they are so much cheaper, even after shipping.

I've considered doing that for all of the Aniplex of America releases, but I fear losing a source for Region Free bluray players if mine breaks and then having worthless discs. Also, not going to replace all my players, and loath to have discs that only play on one player on the house.

ampere

$40 isn't too bad.

Wish there were a digital version. I am sort of wondering if it will get added to Netflix in the future..

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
You can get it on Amazon in the U.S. All for the low low price of $523.
You can actually get it directly from Amazon.co.jp, because it's the Amazon Edition, too. I was very close to getting it once, but $330 (I think that's what it was at the time) was too much. I don't think it has English subs.

I'm not 100% sure why prices are high, but I remember there's a wiki article on CD prices in Japan. I think those are due to importing and tariffs.

Faiz

For a good explanation on the price of Japanese media, read this article by Justin Sevakis. He's worked in the anime industry for years, even making a go of his own localization and production studio, ImaginAsian TV, and is incredibly knowledgable about the business on both sides of the Pacific.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

Part one of the same article is also pretty enlightening for those interested.

geomon

Keeping my premium preorder for now but unless I see something substantial added to the overall package, I'm going to step down to the standard one. I don't need the DVD's and I certainly don't want to pay $40 extra for an art book that I could probably get separately for cheaper.

On disc extras announced!
Funimation said:
DVD Extras (160 minutes):

Memo from Bebop: The Dub Sessions Remembered - a brand new 95-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop as they give you the behind-the-scenes stories about recording this seminal series.
Session #1 Audio Commentary with Koichi Yamadera (Spike) and Unshou Ishizuka (Jet)
Session #5 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
Session #10 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
Interview with Cartoon Network Producer Sean Akins
Session #17 Audio Commentary with Director Shinichiro Watanabe and Composer Yoko Kanno
"Tank!" Full-Size Music Clip
"Tank!" Club Remix Music Clip -UK Version-
Session #24 Audio Commentary with Megumi Hayashibara (Faye) and Aoi Tada (Ed)
Original Opening and Closing Songs
Textless Opening and Closing Songs
Ein's Summer Vacation
Cowboy Bebop Session #0
U.S. Trailer

Blu-ray Extras (227 minutes):

All of the DVD extras, plus
Dinner Aboard the Bebop, a brand new 68-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop reunited for dinner, drinks, and a very special script reading!

On disc extras announced!

That is fucking amazing. Holy shit the big thing on the blu-ray with the dinner sounds so awesome. Reminds me of Browncoats Reunite for Firefly's 10th anniversary.

Also, Wendee Lee is fun to listen to. Saw her at Otakon this year during the Voice Actors After Dark panel.

Goliath

I've considered doing that for all of the Aniplex of America releases, but I fear losing a source for Region Free bluray players if mine breaks and then having worthless discs. Also, not going to replace all my players, and loath to have discs that only play on one player on the house.

I agree. All of the box sets I have ordered are region free. So my region 1 Blu ray player plays my imports just fine. WB is known for it's region free blu ray releases.

Dinner aboard the Bebop sounds awesome. When I first read that I thought it might've been animated (which would've been unbelievable...68 minutes!), but it sounds like it's the voice cast filmed during an actual dinner reunion. Love the English voice cast so this will be worth the price for sure.

I just pre-ordered this. I've never seen the series but have always wanted to. Looking forward to finally checking it out.

Is the movie also worth buying on Blu Ray?

I just pre-ordered this. I've never seen the series but have always wanted to. Looking forward to finally checking it out.

The movie's pretty much a long episode with some great fight scenes. I like it and will be picking it up on blu at the same time as the series set.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Love the cover art.

The movie is good, but the NA Blu-Ray sucks. It lacks any extras and only has stereo 2.0 sound. I'm hoping the extras and audio from the JPN Blu eventually make their way over to a rerelease of the movie.

The movie is beautifully animated.
I found the pacing to be a little underwhelming.
It's not really connected to the canon of the show in any way.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

It most closely fits between sessions 23 and 24, which is when I usually watch it.

One of the nice things about the movie is you don't actually have to have seen any of the show to understand what's going on.

The movie's pretty much a long episode with some great fight scenes. I like it and will be picking it up on blu at the same time as the series set.

The movie is good, but the NA Blu-Ray sucks. It lacks any extras and only has stereo 2.0 sound. I'm hoping the extras and audio from the JPN Blu eventually make their way over to a rerelease of the movie.

The movie is beautifully animated.
I found the pacing to be a little underwhelming.

Thanks guys!

overcast

I don't really like how all the other characters are sidelined to the shape of a gun. The Bebop looks a little odd, too.

Will that cover be on both the LE and normal editions?
This cover only popped up for the normal versions. The Amazon collectors has a similar cover atm, but it's pretty clearly a placeholder.

Askani

Still prefer the Amazon extras, but I love the record-style cover for the Funi edition.

Yeah, same. The Funimation record sleeve looks fantastic, but I'd rather have the smaller and less unwieldy box and the art books from the Amazon set. Glad I decided to keep my Amazon preorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom