• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 2 ANNOUNCED

The new stuff looks pretty cool and 4 player co-op is a definite plus if it works well.

I am a bit disappointed it appears to be pretty much the same city though, with a few cosmetic changes. Hopefully there will be some new areas too.

FFChris

Ramenman said:
I can't really see what's different with the aiming system.

There's still the bodypart selection, and the circle shrinking if you keep aiming the same.

Within the shrinking circle you can aim manually, so really good players won't wait until the circle shrinks to get a headshot. Great system, in my opinion.

People do die a little quickly though, looks like only two or three body hits can kill an agent. Hopefully it will be tweaked we're still very far from release.

Man, oh man....this made my month! I can't wait, PLEASE be a summer 2010 release! I want some of this!

Blindfutur3 said:
Didn't realise this was different to the deathmatch video. Thank you so much.

I need to start hanging outside of Ruffian's studio until they let me come in and play this.

You and me both brother. You pay for the tent and sleeping bags, I'll buy the food and drinks. Who the hell needs a job anyway?! Crackdown 2 is coming!

Rad-

Will there be team deathmatch? Something like 4 vs 4 vs 4 vs 4 could be really fun. Never been a big fan of pure deathmatch, I like playing with me mates.

FrankT

Apharmd Battler said:
Man, oh man....this made my month! I can't wait, PLEASE be a summer 2010 release! I want some of this!

You and me both brother. You pay for the tent and sleeping bags, I'll buy the food and drinks. Who the hell needs a job anyway?! Crackdown 2 is coming!

Yes, summer 2010 would be perfect. Make it happen!

soldat7

*Crackdown 2 vids*

312z4m8.gif

Ruffian Games: MP3 player on my Agent please!!!

mm04

I haven't read through all of this thread to find the answer, but in MP, will you get a fully powered and leveled up agent or will it be your single player agent with your campaign stats ?

Aaron

It's got me replaying the original, and being sharply reminded how hardass this game is on psycho difficulty. Even a maxed agent is dogmeat if he doesn't take cover.

Everything of the sequel is just what I wanted. The only thing I haven't seen that would be a nice addition is lady agents.

I hope CD2 puts just as much love into achievements as the first one, which still has the best implementation of the system I've come across. They got me to mess around with the city and its inhabitants in ways I'd have been too uncreative to come up with myself.

Harpooning some gangbangers on the side of my car and cruising the mean streets of Pacific City with a bunch of meatflags: :lol

Bowling for bad guys with the Observatory Globe: :D

Teaching criminals to fly courtesy of my homing rocket launcher: :lol

...And, of course, base jumping from a half mile up off the Agency Tower: :D

They better not hold back for CD2.

ShogunX

So after watching the videos I am now confident that the sequel has a very high chance of surpassing the original and that's no mean feat. For me Crackdown is still by far the best third person roaming game released so the fact that the sequel looks this awesome despite the studio change is mind blowing.

Hopefully the mag grenades make an appearance in multiplayer as they provide the potential for some quality comedy moments. How good would it be to mag tag a random building and then sticking an enemy in multiplayer leaving him hanging and ripe for a kill.

Plus one of the achievements needs to incorporate the mag sling shot something like slingshot a vehicle a certain distance or from one side of a river to another. Oh and how about if we can mag tag a co-op partner and pair him up with a live Gas canister making him a walking rocket of death?

So many possibilities. Cant wait.

Rad- said:
Will there be team deathmatch? Something like 4 vs 4 vs 4 vs 4 could be really fun. Never been a big fan of pure deathmatch, I like playing with me mates.
Yeah, even small deathmatches or objective games would rule. Capture the flag could be excellent.

oldergamer

Omigod I can't wait for this game. Ruffian people please add one fo the following things to the game:

1. Body checking ( might be fun to throw shoulder checks at people ( like hockey )
2. A way to block or brace yourself to take less damage ( if you're on the ground )
3. The ability to toss and catch objects. This would open up lots of crazy things if you could play catch with other agents.

Me, I still have a hard time believing this game has gone from something we pined for without any hope of it actually happening to something that IS happening. Deep down, I know MS is all about the money, but if I don't think about it too hard, I can almost convince myself that they really do love us gamers and that all our clamoring did so degree of good...

Sorry, but just the thought of CD2 gets me all gooshy inside... :D

a.wd

sparky2112 said:
Me, I still have a hard time believing this game has gone from something we pined for without any hope of it actually happening to something that IS happening. Deep down, I know MS is all about the money, but if I don't think about it too hard, I can almost convince myself that they really do love us gamers and that all our clamoring did so degree of good...

Sorry, but just the thought of CD2 gets me all gooshy inside... :D

I know man....*sniffs* i know....

syllogism

Looks like the first game except early in development. Not quite sure why everyone is blown away by the video. Of course if you enjoyed the original you'll obviously enjoy this and as such have some reason for excitement. It just seems GAF is always very easy to please.

ShogunX

syllogism said:
Looks like the first game except early in development. Not quite sure why everyone is blown away by the video. Of course if you enjoyed the original you'll obviously enjoy this and as such have some reason for excitement. It just seems GAF is always very easy to please.

Have you played the original? and I don't mean a quick 5 minutes we are talking have you played Crackdown 1 at length?

syllogism

Shogun PaiN said:
Have you played the original? and I don't mean a quick 5 minutes we are talking have you played Crackdown 1 at length?
I didn't finish the campaign but did gather most of the agility orbs which I found to be the most compelling aspect of the game. I'm just saying the video doesn't exactly deserve the hyperbole.

e: that sling shot did seem pretty novel though

Brinbe

randomlyrossy said:
I am a bit disappointed it appears to be pretty much the same city though, with a few cosmetic changes. Hopefully there will be some new areas too.
Definitely agree with this. Among my fav parts of CD1 was the exploration, just finding new things to see, jump from, etc. So yeah, I also hope there's tons of new content.

But the vids were fun to watch and I'll definitely be picking this up.

ShogunX

syllogism said:
I didn't finish the campaign but did gather most of the agility orbs which I found to be the most compelling aspect of the game. I'm just saying the video doesn't exactly deserve the hyperboles.

e: that sling shot did seem pretty novel though

The thing is nobody expected the videos to show anything significant because the game isn't due out well into next year. These videos came as something of a suprise and the fact that they are showing new gameplay and multiplayer elements all added to the old Crackdown we know and love has gotten everybody pumped.

The dev's state the game's visuals are only at 60% so the game is expected to look a little rough around the edges. Peoples biggest fear was that the whole atmosphere and look would be lost in translation due to the sequel swapping developers - These videos IMO have squashed those fears.

syllogism

sparky2112 said:
I should probably elaborate GAF is extremely easy to please when it comes to certain franchises. It doesn't really matter what the devs show, it's always mindblowing to certain fans.

syllogism said:
I should probably elaborate GAF is extremely easy to please when it comes to certain franchises. It doesn't really matter what the devs show, it's always mindblowing to certain fans.

I know what you meant, it just struck me as funny if you take that statement at face value. GAF is a lot of things, but easy ain't one of 'em. :D

GhaleonEB

Jtwo said:
Dude, they fucking delivered. HARD.
They just laid that cock out there on the table and the table broke.

They made a slingshot out of a truck.
A GIANT SLINGSHOT OUT OF A TRUCK!

Who comes up with this stuff?
I've got the most devious fucking grin right now. The citizens of Pacific City will suffer mightily under my watch. :lol

soldat7

Brinbe said:
Definitely agree with this. Among my fav parts of CD1 was the exploration, just finding new things to see, jump from, etc. So yeah, I also hope there's tons of new content.

If I'm not mistaken, the two developer presentation vids from 1up take place amidst new buildings. I'm also thinking that Ruffian hasn't completely lifted their skirt yet.

ShogunX

soldat7 said:
If I'm not mistaken, the two developer presentation vids from 1up take place amidst new buildings. I'm also thinking that Ruffian hasn't completely lifted their kilt's yet.

FIXED.

Shogun PaiN said:
The thing is nobody expected the videos to show anything significant because the game isn't due out well into next year. These videos came as something of a suprise and the fact that they are showing new gameplay and multiplayer elements all added to the old Crackdown we know and love has gotten everybody pumped.

The dev's state the game's visuals are only at 60% so the game is expected to look a little rough around the edges. Peoples biggest fear was that the whole atmosphere and look would be lost in translation due to the sequel swapping developers - These videos IMO have squashed those fears.

This. Pretty much sums up the reason for my excitement.

It really does sound like the sequel will surpass the original in this instance. Really excited to hear about there being more mission variety this time.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Nice. I still looks early in development, but I loved the new aditions. Also, the leveling up system in MP sounds interesting.

mYm|17|

damn I am going to love the 4 player co-op with my friends and thinking of doing some big explosion shit is gonna be awesome

Dabanton

Blindfutur3 said:
This. Pretty much sums up the reason for my excitement.

It really does sound like the sequel will surpass the original in this instance. Really excited to hear about there being more mission variety this time.

What also has me excited in this regard is the mention of sub missions in co-op while your working on your main mission.

Ding

Pete Rock said:
Looking great! One other thing I've always wanted to see in Crackdown 2 is some sort of MDK-style "ribbon chute" that you could use to glide from tall buildings or after jumping from the helicopter. That would be nasty! :D
That would be cool. Or perhaps you could equip something like one of those wing suits. (Except, you know, cooler looking) You wouldn't be able to glide super far, but it could enable some fun death-from-above moments.

It sounds like the mutants mostly come out at night. Mostly. That sounds like a good design. Tired of getting swarmed on rooftops? Wait until the sun comes up before attacking that objective. (I doubt that will always be an option, but it might be a good way to tweak the difficulty to suit your play style.)

It seems like that mag grenade is >that< close to being usable as an improvised grappling device or bungie.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ding said:
It seems like that mag grenade is >that< close to being usable as an improvised grappling device or bungie.
This is what I was thinking about.
I'm pretty sure it would near impossible to stick yourself with one in the air, but attaching one to the side of a building.. jumping off and just before you hit the ground somehow sticking one to yourself to one and then slingshotting back up would be so radical.

Bounce down to street level, punch a guy in the face and fly back up! :lol :lol :lol

I guess if you were super elite you could do it coop and stick your buddy as they stick to you.

Looks like it will be amazing... I wonder if we'll be able to drive two cars with mags attached to make an electric cheese wire, or if we'll be able to give friends lifts by attaching cars to choppers :D Really hope they set it up so you can adjust the timer so they never detonate.

Also it makes me wonder what else they have in store for us :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man! If there is CTF, attach a mag grenade to the flag carrier have him grab the flag and then place the grenade and slingshot him out of the base!

The fantasies are endless!

Stitch

Gold Member
i love crackdown but this looks more like a crackdown mod. also it looks like they didn't fix the wonky camera or the aiming system...

and i don't get the mutant stuff. that's really not what i expected after the ending of crackdown. this is more like crackdown vs prototype.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Those mutants were totally in Crackdown though!

Top Bottom