• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 2 ANNOUNCED

Shnookums

KillerAJD said:
Gah, I need a 360 so badly. I've always wanted to play the first Crackdown, and now that a friend recently got a 360, I'd love to play co-op with him. Is it full story co-op, or just messing around?

"Story" is probably not the right word, it's more like a framework, but yes co-op is the whole thing and friends can drop in and out of your city as you are playing. Like for example you see a friend on your list playing it and you can just drop straight into their game seemlessly and leave whenever you feel like it and let them keep going, it's so flexible and delicious.

Alx

The MP doesn't look so great, it remembers me of my early experiences with Unreal Tournament or Quake3 : run around, get killed, repeat... I would have hoped that there were more Crackdown-specific actions, like throwing stuff, laying explosive traps, using vehicles...

ShogunX

KillerAJD said:
Gah, I need a 360 so badly. I've always wanted to play the first Crackdown, and now that a friend recently got a 360, I'd love to play co-op with him. Is it full story co-op, or just messing around?

You haven't lived my friend until you take a vehicle up the lift in one of the tallest building's in Shai Gen territory and have your co-op partner hurl your off the roof performing multiple barrel rolls on the way down.

Harpoon gun enemies to the side of the vehicle for maximum effect.

Sean

Banned
Very nice stuff.

- Lighting looks quite improved
- New armor/costume looks cool
- HUD is a lot nicer looking than that ugly blue shit from the first game
- On one hand I like the idea of freaks chasing you onto the rooftops and stuff in order to make you feel more vulnerable, but that also sounds like something that could get annoying if they are too aggressive. Hopefully Ruffian finds the right balance there.
- 4 player online co-op sounds hot. I would like to see this demoed.

Mag Grenade/Gas Canisters Footage.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objec...dwn2_gmp_gascan.html;jsessionid=69m5hdavtpcdr

:lol :D

IGN Hands On

Crackdown 2 is being built from the ground up as a four player cooperative experience. That's expanded from the first game's two player co-op, but the same core idea holds true. You and your friends will be free to work together, annoy each other, or simply run off to opposite sides of the city to do your own thing. You'll probably want to be together when you tackle a mission, though. We were shown one as an example where four separate wheels needed to be turned as the first step in a mission. You can stick together and watch each other's backs, or split up a bit and get through the mission four times as quickly as you otherwise could.

From the looks of it, you may find yourself huddled together for protection more often than not. The freaks, we're told, are much stronger than any human you might come across. They come in mass quantities, too, which doesn't make your job any easier. They'll even follow you up walls and on to the rooftops. Thankfully, you have a few new weapons at your disposal. The main one on display was a UV gun that works a bit like a shotgun, only it spits out ultraviolet light that the freaks can't stand.

The visuals in Crackdown 2 are about 60% complete we're told, which should help to explain the rather bland and rough look of the most recent videos in IGN's gallery. Even if the city itself isn't sparkling just yet, it has all of the necessary components to ensure the game is fun. The draw distance is fantastic. The toy box is there, as is the Keys to the City 2 (a sequel to the cheat mode Crackdown offered). And the physics system looks like it is sure to produce many, many wacky moments.

Ruffian showed us a few of their favorites. First, we saw the Mag Grenade. Toss one on a car and it will stick. Toss another on a wall and a sort of energy bungee cord will be stretched between the two. Throw another and you can hang a car between two buildings. You can imagine the possibilities, but perhaps not what the demoer did next. With the car still attached to the Mag Grenades, he pulled it back and then flung it forward like a slingshot. It slammed into another car and exploded on impact.

The Mag Grenade also works wonders with another toy. Little gas canisters exist in the city which, if shot at the edges, will turn into makeshift missiles. Attach one to the ground and then break off the end and you'll get a missile zipping around like a fly tethered to the ground.

Or then there was a huge chimney that you could find, just waiting to be filled with explosives…

Though the base gameplay is standard in this deathmatch, a few Crackdown twists have been added to the mix. Little launch pads exist around the map to quickly get you up on a roof. Weapons can be found to change up your fighting style. There are power-ups to grab -- my favorite is the temporary invincibility, indicated by a crown floating over the player's head. Points are awarded for kills, with bonus points for the tough melee kills.

There's also a leveling system in Crackdown 2's deathmatch that is separate from that of the main game. Ruffian declined to go into details on it, but we were told that the experience orbs that spill out after each kill will help you to level up and unlock new goodies.

The deathmatch mode in Crackdown 2 is pretty fun, though a bit chaotic and frenzied. The level we got to play on didn't have any vehicles, which could add another dimension of insanity on top of what's already there. As it is, this adversarial mode definitely has its own unique feel to it, but I'm not totally sold on it just yet.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1028423p1.html

Sounds amazing. :D :D :D

I hope they aren't sacrificing anything by putting in the 16 player adversarial modes. I find most of the fun in multiplayer sandbox games to come from free roaming, and cooperative play. The multiplayer in Saints Row 2, and GTAIV bored me to tears while I was in love with co-op, and free roam respectively.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ugh gamevideos has such a shitty flash player. Why can't all flash players be like Giantbombs? That one is always great, even when still loading.

FFChris

Wow, looks amazing. Crackdown still has some of the best smoke effects I've seen in a game. Absolutely cannot wait.

Alx

The Mag Grenade also works wonders with another toy. Little gas canisters exist in the city which, if shot at the edges, will turn into makeshift missiles. Attach one to the ground and then break off the end and you'll get a missile zipping around like a fly tethered to the ground.

So I wonder what happens if you attach one gas canister (or more) to a mobile object, like a car... :D The slingshot thing is great, too.
That will be pure Crackdown, lots of toying around with the game rules to break havok. :)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell that was a lot of canisters!
It ran smooth the whole time!

I don't know much more I can take of this before I try to like hack into Ruffian and steal this shit or something. :lol

Oh my god dude! He made a giant slingshot out of a truck! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, they fucking delivered. HARD.
They just laid that cock out there on the table and the table broke.

They made a slingshot out of a truck.
A GIANT SLINGSHOT OUT OF A TRUCK!

Who comes up with this stuff?

FFChris

Deathmatch looks brilliant as well.

Have any of the previews said how the powers work in deathmatch? I imagine all agents will be similarly powered, but maybe there will be a game mode where more kills = more skills? That'd be brilliant.

Sean

Banned
Just watched the second video… the new Mag Grenade is friggen sweet - Spinning Gas Canister of Death and Giant Truck Slingshot. Holy crap.

Ruffian = awesome.

Honestly, when they first announced a co-op-centric Crackdown, I was pretty skeptical.

Now I think it might be the greatest game ever conceived by mankind.

a.wd

SeanNoonan said:
A guy we keep in the basement. We throw him fish heads from time to time.

He's special :)

Just saying it, I blame you for all the time that will be wasted in my life due to this game. which will be a lot.

And you might want to upgrade him to dogfood, he's done well!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ramenman

clashfan said:
Seems to be alot of aim assist in the video.

Well that's funny because they actually made the aiming system so there is less aim assist.
Did you play the first game ?
Edit : HOLY FUCK THE VERY LAST KILL OF THE DEATHMATCH VID OMG NEED GIF ASAP.

Sean

Banned
Can any of you Ruffian dudes say if it's possible to stick Mag Grenades to a co-op buddy and slingshot him through the air? Just like in that presentation, but with a human instead of a car..

If not please code that in, cause it'd be ridiculously cool.

Ramenman

Sean said:
Can any of you Ruffian dudes say if it's possible to stick Mag Grenades to a co-op buddy and slingshot him through the air? Just like in that presentation, but with a human instead of a car..

Considering the amount of ridiculous shit you could do with corpses in Crackdown 1, I'd bet you can do that at least with NPCs. Might be another story with player-controlled agents though.

gazliddon

Neo Member
Sean said:

Currently not implemented but we all want see that happen. Just have to be a bit careful we don't make a griefer's dream weapon :D

Sean said:

I've always wanted to make a mad bomber out of my teammate!

Pete Rock

Looking great! One other thing I've always wanted to see in Crackdown 2 is some sort of MDK-style "ribbon chute" that you could use to glide from tall buildings or after jumping from the helicopter. That would be nasty! :D

Ramenman

I can't really see what's different with the aiming system.

There's still the bodypart selection, and the circle shrinking if you keep aiming the same.

Looks like Crackdown 2 is shaping up nicely. Pacific City looks a lot nicer than I remember. Colors seem to have more pop than before, and I can't wait to start jumping around collecting those lovely Agility Orbs.

It was also such a smart move by Ruffian giving the mutants the ability to follow you onto the roofs and such. It was so easy in the original Crackdown to take out hundreds of enemies simply by hiding away on a cliff or roof.

Easily my most anticipated game of the coming years

Top Bottom