• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 2 ANNOUNCED

Stitch said:
i did, but there was only a handful of them on the shai-gen island

There's an entire lab full of them that you inflitrate, after which they are all over the island at the end of the game. I would have been shocked if there were no mutants in the sequel.

GhaleonEB

elrechazao said:
There's an entire lab full of them that you inflitrate, after which they are all over the island at the end of the game. I would have been shocked if there were no mutants in the sequel.
I was surprised they didn't play a larger role in the first game. I mean, mutants! And they're everywhere! But it was almost incidental.

BobJustBob said:
What made Crackdown fun was the lack of story and scripted missions. And the homing rocket launcher, but they hate that too.

You really need to watch some of the other videos, as most of what you are saying is way off.

PSGames

The Homing rocket launcher was amazing. What are you guys talking about? And it only had limited ammo so it's not like it made all other weapons obsolete.

GhaleonEB

forgeforsaken said:
You really need to watch some of the other videos, as most of what you are saying is way off.
Yup. And I don't see the issue with more objectives, if they are done right. "Go kill Wang" is a "scripted mission", it's just a simple one. Adding a few other objectives in the mix is fine, as long as the sandbox remains open and you can approach it multiple ways. And in the videos, they made a point of out the city will remain just as open as it was before.
PSGames said:
The Homing rocket launcher was amazing. What are you guys talking about? And it only had limited ammo so it's not like it made all other weapons obsolete.
Once I had the homing rockets and the big machine gun (Harrington?), I never ever changed weapons.

Doodlebug

Harrington-Homing combo was all I used, too. Unless I was increasing my explosives skill, that is, in which case I used the Lobber.

itxaka

Defeatist
wow @ the videos.

Ruffian respect + 9999999

They took the best open world game from this gen and it seems they are making it much better, and much more fun, one of the things that devs seems to forget lately.

Oh man, slingshot killing it's gonna be awesome.

@ruffian team: Killing civilians, it's gonna work like the first one? Meaning if your stats will go down?

Ramenman

syllogism said:
Not quite sure why everyone is blown away by the video. Of course if you enjoyed the original you'll obviously enjoy this and as such have some reason for excitement.

Congrats ! You just answered yourself.

syllogism said:
It just seems GAF is always very easy to please.

LOL WUT.

syllogism said:
I should probably elaborate GAF is extremely easy to please when it comes to certain franchises. It doesn't really matter what the devs show, it's always mindblowing to certain fans.

Some fans are less bitchy than others =)

I think that a story and better missions would be cool. It has to remain an open world and pure sandbox game but still, some scenery would be nice.

Ramenman

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. And I don't see the issue with more objectives, if they are done right. "Go kill Wang" is a "scripted mission", it's just a simple one. Adding a few other objectives in the mix is fine, as long as the sandbox remains open and you can approach it multiple ways. And in the videos, they made a point of out the city will remain just as open as it was before.

Yep, it's a matter of how much "scripted" they are.

I remember there was this mission in the original crackdown where you had to activate three switches outside a lab area to make the target come out of his building in order to kill him.

It was actually pretty cool.

You can make missions a bit more varied or a bit more "complex" without having the shitty GTAIV "cinematic scene >> go at the other end of the world by using only this car >> cinematic scene >> kill some guys >> cinematic scene >> follow this guy for this long and don't bother shooting he's invincible >> cinematic scene >> okay now you can shoot him" scheme.

itxaka said:
@ruffian team: Killing civilians, it's gonna work like the first one? Meaning if your stats will go down?

A dev says something about that in the first part of the TGS demo, you can't hear exactly what he says because the sound is a bit crap. Maybe you'll have better luck understanding than me.

And now that we know Ruffian guys are looking, I'll throw in a random comment about how we all hope CD2 will be playable from the Hard Drive.

[random comment about how we all hope CD2 will be playable from the Hard Drive]

S1kkZ

so far, i am a little disappointed with c2.

-same city: i already explored the city in c1, i spent over 50 hours there. and now the (almost) same environment again?

-freaks: do not want. if they want me to fight powerful enemies, give me some other agents to fight. enemies like the freaks, always seem like an excuse for bad a.i.
these kind of enemies are almost never fun to fight (halo, prototype, web of shadows...) and hurt the gameplay.

-same visuals: so far, it looks exactly like c1. sorry, but i expect a step forward. i mean, its 3 years later.

-from everything ive seen, it feels more like crackdown 1.1. but its 3 years later and i want and expect more.

i will buy it and i will have fun with it. but it should be more.

Ramenman

Speedymanic said:
Gamespot - Behind the Scenes Interview/Impressions

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/crackdown2/video/6230466/crackdown-2-tgs-09-interview?hd=0

Some pretty interesting stuff about what we can expect from the story, gameplay, etc.

So I actually got right the bit about the pedestrian that I mentionned in my last post. He does say that being punished when you messed around with pedestrians in Crackdown 1 was frustrating, because obviously everyone wanted to do it because it was fun, so having the game slap the player for it was a bit of a shame.

So apparently this bit is out for C2. Can't wait to drag a pedestrian attached to my car with a mag ! :lol

But only the ugly ones of course. They deserve it because they're ugly.

GhaleonEB said:
Once I had the homing rockets and the big machine gun (Harrington?), I never ever changed weapons.

Agreed

Which I was fine with because the combat was not that appealing to me and gave me a quick out. If they make the combat a bit deeper this time around, then I could see the reason for removing it.

darkwings

Banned
Jtwo said:
Dude, they fucking delivered. HARD.
They just laid that cock out there on the table and the table broke.

They made a slingshot out of a truck.
A GIANT SLINGSHOT OUT OF A TRUCK!

Who comes up with this stuff?

huh Just Cause 2 has exactly the same thing, and they showed it at E3 2009.

MMaRsu

Banned
darkwings said:
huh Just Cause 2 has exactly the same thing, and they showed it at E3 2009.

Yeah and they showed the same thing with the exploding barrel thingy tathering it to a npc. Same effect same thing.

And they showed that at E32009 as well.

bjaelke

Nirolak said:
I highlighted the important part:
Bill Thomson said:
When we go to Crackdown 3 things’ll alter again.

xbhaskarx

BloodySinner said:
The game doesn't look remotely close to good.

Crackdown isn't really loved based primarily on how it looks, but it actually looks pretty decent. This on the other hand looks downright hideous. And it's not just these screens, the mutant creatures shown earlier look terrible as well.

I have other concerns with the direction they're taking that I've already expressed, so I won't go into it again, but overall the more I see the less hyped I am.

voltron

What are you guys complaining about? Those screens look great to me . (although I am using an iPhone right now so maybe Im missing something)

Besides that anyway crackdown is about orbs & jumping around. That'd what's important.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
xbhaskarx said:
This on the other hand looks downright hideous.
Yes.

bjaelke said:
I highlighted the important part:
So, Crackdown: Two Thrones to follow Crackdown: Warrior Within?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nirolak said:

After clicking on the first screenshot I was just going to applaud the fact that they kicked out the ugly black outlines, but then opened the third screen and there they are again. Do they not show on close ups or what?

xbhaskarx

voltron said:
Besides that anyway crackdown is about orbs & jumping around. That'd what's important.

People really need to stop this. Yes we all love Crackdown and the best part was the orbs and the jumping around. You are correct that is what's important, and those things will probably return intact.
But can we raise our expectations / standards beyond that just a bit?

bjaelke

xbhaskarx said:
People really need to stop this. Yes we all love Crackdown and the best part was the orbs and the jumping around. You are correct that is what's important, and those things will probably return intact.
I think the innovative multiplayer elements (see interview) and the mutants will meet those expectations. Not sure I like the areas posted in the 3 screenshots. It seems to be horizontal rather than vertical parkour.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Nirolak said:

"We’ve had to pretty much start again with it, but there’s old stuff in there that we don’t touch purely because we do have a time restriction."

I wonder what Crackdown 2 could be with a proper budget and development cycle. I can't erase the feeling that MS is looking for a quick cash in, I have such high hopes for this title. I guess I better lower my hype.

-PXG-

If you're complaining about the visuals in Crackdown, you simply don't get it. This game is about jumping high, blowing stuff up and doing crazy shit. Nothing deep, nothing substantive. Just blowing shit up.

PSGames

xbhaskarx said:
My god some of you are missing the freakin point. Be happy this game is being made at all. They've put together what we see in less than a year and have chosen to focus on the gameplay first (and rightfully so). Stop freakin complaining. You want amazing graphics? There are dozens of games out there for you to play. Crackdown was never about the graphics.

Pete Rock

Crackdown always looked relatively worse in screenshots as well, but some of the graphical anomalies in here are certainly interesting:
cd2qn.jpg

At they very least I am appreciating the extra color, although I'm not too keen on the megaman flavored agent.

I think I'll be submitting some grafitti pieces, clearly they need some extra decals if the scrawls on those shacks are any indication. Thanks for the link :D

Don't mean to pick on it, I think it should be an amazing game and I am really looking forward to seeing the first finished product from Ruffian.

ShapeGSX

Crackdown was always meant to look like a comic book, not uber-realistic. I think it looks awesome. There is no reason for every game to try to model reality.

kylej

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
i've been playing the fuck out of AC2 this week and looking at those screens is quite painful.

Comparing a finished game to a pre-alpha game and complaining about the visuals. Good logic.

Sydle

PSGames said:
My god some of you are missing the freakin point. Be happy this game is being made at all. They've put together what we see in less than a year and have chosen to focus on the gameplay first (and rightfully so). Stop freakin complaining. You want amazing graphics? There are dozens of games out there for you to play. Crackdown was never about the graphics.

This.

Crackdown 2 is right up there with FFXIII as my most anticipated games of 2010. Hype, hype, hype!

BobJustBob said:
What made Crackdown fun was the lack of story and scripted missions. And the homing rocket launcher, but they hate that too.
Yes. Well get ready because it sounds like they're changing everything you loved about the first one.

binary

Jeff Stephen said:
Those masks definitely have to go.

I agree....why make all the protagonists faceless robots? The characters in Crackdown 1 have no personality, but the unique face adds something at least.

soldat7

binary said:
I agree....why make all the protagonists faceless robots? The characters in Crackdown 1 have no personality, but the unique face adds something at least.

There will be female characters as well (promotional art on gametrailers a while back), and I'm pretty sure the helmets will be optional. They're just not revealing the character customization just yet.

Top Bottom