• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 2 ANNOUNCED

Don't like idea of same area again. First Bioshock 2 and now this. Won't stop me from buying it though. I'll be there on day 0.

I guess that's why we will see sequel in next year. Relatively short development cycle.

xbhaskarx said:
-The city hasn't changed in architect, all the roads are the same. Some buildings have been demolished and other small things, but over all it's the same city.

NOOO!
If they do it right, it could turn out way more interesting than an entirely new city. That's a pretty big "if", though.
xbhaskarx said:
Both agility orbs and secret orbs better be back, damnit...
As someone who got every achievement in Crackdown 1, I could do without secret orbs.

I'm extremely hyped for 4 player co-op, and new agency vehicles. They better allow FULL FREEDOM to do w/e we want in co-op as the first game did with these 2 added players.

MightyHedgehog said:
One, I think it was already hinted at that there would be a massive amount of new verticality added to the city (it was assumed to be an underground half of the city) as well changes to the old cityscape. I think it'll be half 'n half so as to have familiarity of the old but with new stuff to take advantage of the new/changed gameplay elements.

Two, I don't think they're going to get rid of one of the most universally-acclaimed parts of the original Crackdown experience, the orb hunting.

Yeah seriously. There's no Earthly way there won't be Agility Orbs, not to mention like even way more of them probably.

MirageDwarf said:
Don't like idea of same area again. First Bioshock 2 and now this. Won't stop me from buying it though. I'll be there on day 0.

Yeah it's the same area, but you'll be able to explore more of it..in Bioshock 2, its the 'outer' Rapture..in Crackdown 2 (going by a hint from a dev interview around e3) it'll be 'underneath' Pacific City.

MirageDwarf said:
I guess that's why we will see sequel in next year. Relatively short development cycle.

If it comes out 1st quarter of 2010 it'll be 3 years since Crackdown (feb '07)..pretty normal dev cycle if you ask me.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
abacab driver said:
If it comes out 1st quarter of 2010 it'll be 3 years since Crackdown (feb '07)..pretty normal dev cycle if you ask me.
Not really because Crackdown 2 didn't start development until Rufian was founded. I say Fall 2010 or Q1 2011 to let it get enough polish time.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Sorry, but this is game of the year 2010. Holy shit.

Da fuck ya'll crying about a new city for. We already knew we'd have the same one, I for on welcome that. Don't forget about the underground aspect.

And plus, a new island or something can always be added as DLC.

xbhaskarx

abacab driver said:
Yeah it's the same area, but you'll be able to explore more of it..in Bioshock 2, its the 'outer' Rapture..in Crackdown 2 (going by a hint from a dev interview around e3) it'll be 'underneath' Pacific City.

Yes, but it seems like most BioShock fans are not really looking forward to the sequel for various reasons...

Of all the people out there who liked Crackdown, a game with lots of jumping and climbing, did even a single person express an interest in exploring the sewers underneath the city?
Of all the thousands of comments on the hundreds of gaming forums out there, is there a single comment from before E3 about wanting to run around in some underground tunnels in Crackdown 2?

That sort of thing isn't really fun in almost every game that has it, but it seems particularly unsuitable for Crackdown...

Spitz

Crackdown 2 is now easily on top of my most wanted list for 2010. As an orb collector junkie and coop game junkie it has to be on top of that list.

The last game of this gen so far i need a new sequel is Earth Defense Force 2017. Next week is TGS so please make it happen D3 and Sandlot but don't forget the online coop this time. :D

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Witchfinder General said:
Not sure I'm happy about those points. Give me a new location (with much, much bigger things to scale) and good old regular agility orbs.
This.

mr_nothin said:
But there's a different team. I'm not sure if they could have pulled it off as well. As long as things are varied enough it should be fine.
No it's pretty much the same team.

-All repetitiveness is completely removed. And less shitty boss battles.
-Four player Co-Op
-16 player Competitive Multiplayer. Tons of fun. Players collect special weapons, bonuses, and gadgets. Progression system like CoD4.

This = pure win..everything else is icing on the cake. :D

xbhaskarx said:
Of all the people out there who liked Crackdown, a game with lots of jumping and climbing, did even a single person express an interest in exploring the sewers underneath the city?
Of all the thousands of comments on the hundreds of gaming forums out there, is there a single comment from before E3 about wanting to run around in some underground tunnels in Crackdown 2?
That sort of thing isn't really fun in almost every game that has it, but it seems particularly unsuitable for Crackdown...

Firstly, I don't think you're in the position to sum up the yet-to-be-detailed underground aspect of Crackdown 2 "running around in some tunnels." It could be 3D Dig-Dug, or there could be pink castles underneath Pacific City for all we know.
Second, being that you have no clue how its going to play, look, etc ..thered no ground to say 'it' would be unsuitable for Crackdown.

These are the guys who made Crackdown for christ sakes..you think they are going to somehow botch adding another exploratory dimension to a style of open world play everyone loves dearly? They know what they're doing.

The "we didn't ask for that" pontification routine is completely lame..same on the Bioshock 2 front. Let the creators create and see how it works before judging it.

Same city, become better at jumping by jumping a lot instead of platform-exploring. Zombies? Underground levels?

Other additions sound neat, but the above sounds like a bummer.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I hope they add some form of flying vehicle at some point. Limited flight in some form.

Even better is make some flying fortress. They should go all crazy for 2

GhaleonEB

I still have that thrum thrum of a nearby orb stuck in my brain. GI details sound great; I like the idea of the mutants coming out at night and making things more dangerous, should give the combat a nice ebb and flow.

But really, I just want to go get some orbs.

FFChris

Is two player local co-op too much to ask?

Regardless, it all sounds pretty good so far! Won't the addition of a flying vehicle kind of destroy the accomplishment of climbing up the top of the agency tower though?

GhaleonEB

FFChris said:
Is two player local co-op too much to ask?

Regardless, it all sounds pretty good so far! Won't the addition of a flying vehicle kind of destroy the accomplishment of climbing up the top of the agency tower though?
Two thoughts. They could make it so the helicopter can't fly that high, or they could park it at the top of the tower as a reward for getting up there.

Kydd BlaZe

Cautiously optimistic about this. While 4 Player co-op & 16 Player competitive multiplayer sound very nice, i'm not too thrilled to be exploring the exact same city as before. However, I guess if the city has gone through enough visual and structural changes (i.e. a ruined/infected Pacific City) I suppose it could remain a bit fresh. I also want to know more about this 'underground' element they are adding to this game.

FFChris

GhaleonEB said:
Two thoughts. They could make it so the helicopter can't fly that high, or they could park it at the top of the tower as a reward for getting up there.

Yea, I was thinking parking it at the top of the tower would be most likely. That'd be a pretty good incentive to climb up as well.

Color me very excited for the 4 player co-op and at least a little interested in the online multiplayer. I'm not expecting it, but I'd second the notion that being able to do at least 2 player splitscreen would be pretty nice.

Ramenman

OMG HOW DID I NOT THINK OF IT IN THE GI THREAD OMG OF COURSE CRACKDOWN TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Now to actually read what it says...

Ramenman

-You'll obtain skill orbs by using abilities relevant to your character.

"relevant to your character" ? What does that mean ? Are some of the abilites not relevant to my character ? D:
-Four player Co-Op

I knew it but, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

-16 player Competitive Multiplayer.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.

-Melee attacks are much more varied a fluid.

Can't be a bad thing.

-Key to the City DLC is a go!

Haha, you bet it is. Better still be free too.

-The freaks evolve over time, making them MUCH more fearsome as the game progresses.

That probably means towards the end of the game they actually have the same moving abilities as you, which indeed would make them fearsome.

-All repetitiveness is completely removed.

What the hell does that mean ? Are they trying to say structured missions and stuff ? Because that would be repetitive.

Anyone who read the GI can explain ?

-City decays over time from the infection.

Oh crap, Prototype... I hope they don't go too far with that, the city is cool as it is, I don't mind it being a bit Apocalypse'd for the second game, but I hope they don't destroy buildings as you go along or make it look as disgusting as Prototype's city.

-A lot more weapon variety. New powerful shotgun, Rail Gun, and sticky grenades.

Just keep the harpoon gun and we'll be friends.

-More precise targeting system. Skill is rewarded.

Not sure what that means, I liked the first one's aiming system, pretty clever imo.

painey

this same city shit has to stop, not only is it a cop out but a fuck you to people who bought and played the original. Saints Row 2 was practically stale out of the box because it was the same fucking city.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
So fuckin excited for this game, the old City was sparse you could tell they were rushed, I don't see a problem with re-using the city skeleton.

Mrbob

Crackdown 2 does sound pretty good, but it is disappointing to hear the city hasn't changed much at all. Hopefully we at least get a new playable area! Oh and the back story part sounds a bit lame....

NEW INFO: Backstory

Okay, so we all know after Crackdown 1 we defeated all 3 of the gangs, and we were congratulated. "Peace at Last" it said. It couldn't have been more wrong. As the Agency took over, things went to hell. A new zombie-like virus had broken out in parts of the city, and the Agency was doing a poor job at covering it up. People found out, got sick of the Agency's bullshit, and revolted. The civilian gang called themselves the Cell, and soon after the revolted, they destroyed the agent program, almost completely crippling the Agency. But now, they've fixed it, and it's time you take the city back in a 3 way war.

A civilian gang took down the agency? And then fixed the agent program?? Really?

Dipswitch

painey said:
this same city shit has to stop, not only is it a cop out but a fuck you to people who bought and played the original. Saints Row 2 was practically stale out of the box because it was the same fucking city.

Yeah, I'm not happy about that either. One of the things I enjoyed most about the first Crackdown (Or any sandbox game for that matter) was exploring the various environments. Keeping the city mostly the same will make the second game seem repetitive, right off the bat. Given that this decision was likely made to save development time, it just seems lazy IMO.

gibration

painey said:
I'm disappointed on that too. Not sure if I am liking this game but i'll wait and see until I get more details or some gameplay footage.

Sydle

painey said:

After about 15 hours with the original I still liked exploring the city (I still get lost in it), but it was far more fun taking out the gangs. As long as they've mixed up the gangs then it's cool.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
painey said:

METROID and SUPER METROID were both set on zebes.

pr0cs

I'm perfectly fine with the same city being used as long as the city is not static (events in the game change how some parts of the city are more dangerous than the others).
Saints Row 2 was fine because the AI was so dynamic. I had a lot of nostalgia with some of the old sections.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How can they have removed all repetitiveness if they are using the same city?

Top Bottom