• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 2 ANNOUNCED

EYEL1NER

Dural said:
Uh, the ending to Crackdown said Pacific City was only the beginning.
Yeah, inorite?
But as an awesome super-agent, the protector of the city, are you going to just stand by and watch them take over the world? Probably not, you are going to stop them.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
EYEL1NER said:
Yeah, inorite?
But as an awesome super-agent, the protector of the city, are you going to just stand by and watch them take over the world? Probably not, you are going to stop them.

Yeah, so you go to other cities and kick ass against other agents.

soldat7

-Support Points are gone, Agents can now call in for ammo and supplies anytime and anywhere.

-The game looks much more detailed and grittier, but still keeps the “cartoony” look we all love so very much.

-Vehicles like Trucks or Buses have room for a mounted turret, which makes them great for getting around in Co-Op.

-More variations in weapons, meaning people have more to choose from than just the homing rocket launcher.

-Most of the civilian cars in the game are the same, but reskinned and armed with armor and weapons to survive in the new hazards of city life.

I'm OK with this.

IGN have put some more info from the GI preview.

As the teaser trailer suggested, The city that you first cleared of organized gangs has succumbed to a nasty viral outbreak, causing ordinary citizens to turn bloodthirsty. Not even the shadowy Agency could control it, and so sections of the idealistic metropolis have been abandoned to riots and revolt. For the sequel, you'll return to Pacific City, but it won't be the same place you got to know during the first go around. Familiar sites will be present, but many will be in disarray and shambles, while new buildings have sprung up amidst the chaos.

How did all of this happen? Creative Director Billy Thomson is quoted by GameInformer as saying "One of the Shai-Gen missions actually had a research lab that hid all of these freaks inside of it." That's right. Your actions caused the outbreak. The Agency was driven back to control only its hulking tower while a group called the Cell filled the power void. This underground group is described as one that exists on the fringes, piecing together rubble into safe houses while fighting back at the maniacs.

The Agency wasn't destroyed, however, and it's at this low point that you'll step in. Or rather, it is at this point that you and three friends will step in for a little four-player co-op. The game is described as being designed around this concept.

Crackdown 2 once more follows the central goal of cleansing the city, but the repetition is said to be less prevalent. Ruffian told GameInformer, "Your influence in the world has effects across the rest of the city." And your influence will be made apparent through a more varied set of missions. You'll even head underground to tackle the infected as they hide from the light. And once night hits, you can expect the entire city to be a nightmare.

The same five skills that could be leveled up in Crackdown make a return, though each offers new abilities this time. The agility skill is said to offer a dash move, while driving can unlock a special helicopter. Depending upon who you're fighting, you might wish you had specific talents. GameInformer reports that the Cell will come at you like your typical gang from Mad Max: rough around the edges and loaded with weapons. The zombie-esque freaks, meanwhile, will naturally use their numbers to the best of their ability. Thomson is quoted as saying that, "The top level freaks are almost on par with the player-controlled agent."

To deal with these new challenges, new weapons will naturally make an appearance. GameInformer describes a few of these, such as a UV Shotgun that blasts the infected with light, a better sniper rifle, and the "mag" grenade that will stick whatever it hits to another "mag." These magnetic weapons also are said to work on cars, enabling players to do wacky things with them.

GameInformer also got a try at the competitive multiplayer mode being made for Crackdown 2. 16 players will join up online to battle, using a new and more skill-based aiming mechanic. Powerups, gadgets and weapons are strewn about waiting for any intrepid player to grab them and use them against other chumps.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1023255p1.html

Ramenman

For the sequel, you'll return to Pacific City, but it won't be the same place you got to know during the first go around. Familiar sites will be present, but many will be in disarray and shambles, while new buildings have sprung up amidst the chaos.

That's what I figured from the "it's the same city" bit.
Now of course it's up to them get the right balance between old and new, but the fact that we'll go in thinking we know the place is actually a good opportunity for them to surprise us.

Wait and see I guess.

You'll even head underground to tackle the infected as they hide from the light. And once night hits, you can expect the entire city to be a nightmare.

So if the underground is the infected's lair, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it isn't just "some tunnels" or "a bunch of sewers".
Who knows, though.

The agility skill is said to offer a dash move

I sure hope this dash move lets you make some kind of "horizontal jump" that goes further than the classic jump, but not as high.
Isn't that something we see in the teaser ?

"The top level freaks are almost on par with the player-controlled agent."

What I figured too, and what most people asked from Crackdown 2's ennemies, awesome =D

a UV Shotgun that blasts the infected with light, a better sniper rifle, and the "mag" grenade that will stick whatever it hits to another "mag." These magnetic weapons also are said to work on cars, enabling players to do wacky things with them.

Yaaaaayyyyy it's CRACKDOWN =D

GameInformer also got a try at the competitive multiplayer mode being made for Crackdown 2. 16 players will join up online to battle, using a new and more skill-based aiming mechanic.

Oh so the new aiming system is only for competitive multi ? It's only normal I guess, the single player's targetting system would kind of suck in a MP deathmatch.
I do hope they keep it intact for the single player / coop campaign though.

A7MAD

Banned
The game looks much more detailed and grittier, but still keeps the "cartoony" look we all love so very much.

Win! This seems to have worked well for exclusive games such as Mass Effect 2 & Uncharted 2 (what we've seen), still 'cartoony' but more detailed and grittier indeed.

Vehicles like Trucks or Buses have room for a mounted turret, which makes them great for getting around in Co-Op.

I can just imagine the mayhem.

The city hasn't changed in architect; all the roads are the same. Some buildings have been demolished and other small things, but over all it's the same city.

This may be a deal breaker for some potential gamers but imo it worked just fine with Saints Row 2 and that game was given acclaim, so I see no need for this to be any different.

---

All in all a great sounding game and I must say (speaking only for myself here) that 2010 seems like an MS year for me, most games being played out through my 360's (exclusives and multi-plats) whilst the competition have some great games (and a larger list) I think MS with their smaller list of exclusives have a stronger more effective lineup of quality and proven IP's that sell well and offer great longevity.

4 player co-op is an automatic win for this (in 2010) and other games coming this year on the 360 imo.

Magnetic grenades sound like a blast. That and the grapple/tether in Just Cause 2 have nearly limitless applications for senseless violence. :D

Wiggum2007

Jtyettis said:
Dreamy

What they are doing here sounds way better than just any mere new city could offer.

If only it was all this PLUS a new city... I'll wait until the game comes out to judge for sure, but so much of my enjoyment of Crackdown came from exploring the city and reaching new places for the first time. I want to have that feeling of reaching the top of the agency tower for the first time again!

FrankT

Wiggum2007 said:
If only it was all this PLUS a new city... I'll wait until the game comes out to judge for sure, but so much of my enjoyment of Crackdown came from exploring the city and reaching new places for the first time. I want to have that feeling of reaching the top of the agency tower for the first time again!

Yet it does say there are new buildings that have sprung up. Possibilities are endless on that end.

I definitely can't wait for this game. I gotta get my hands on the newest GI, I'm signed up for gamestops little member thing. So has anyone else gotten their issues?

FrankT

Church RvB said:
I definitely can't wait for this game. I gotta get my hands on the newest GI, I'm signed up for gamestops little member thing. So has anyone else gotten their issues?

Still nothing here. Pretty much sad face.

Scans are out there and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

The 'zombies/infected' look awful, the city look empty & the visuals look identical to the first game (although it's hard to tell for sure from the scans).

The new armour looks AMAZE though. :D

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
soldat7 said:
Just finished the GI article. Crackdown 2 is in good hands indeed.

Can't wait to get home and read it. Mine came in yesterday, I just didn't get a chance to read it yet.

FrankT

There was nothing wrong with the visuals of the city the first go around. As for empty city well we shall see. Hopefully my copy hits today.

mutants/infected/freaks will have different levels/tiers. Fully leveled ones are going to be comparable to a fully leveled agent. 4 player coop with 4 fully leveled agents vs fully leveled freaks/infected jumping/blowing things up :O

Jtyettis said:
There was nothing wrong with the visuals of the city the first go around. As for empty city well we shall see. Hopefully my copy hits today.

A slight bump would have been great, but it appears as if they haven't really bothered. (again, that could be down to the quality of the scans)

I wasn't expected a massive bump, just similar to the bump from Saint's Row 1 to SR2 would have been acceptable.

szaromir

Banned
If we're talking about the same scans, they are really crappy quality. The game looks pretty much the same as the first one in these scans indeed, would like to see a gameplay video. Hopefully soon.

Rad-

Saw the article and visuals do look better than Crackdown 1. More "clean" looking. Not a big jump but it's there.

Ramenman

How come nobody mentions the AGILITY ORBS we can see in the screens ?

And hahalol @ any appreciation of the graphics from those "scans" if we all saw the same, since the one I saw were crappy cellphone pictures of the magazine...

And are those NPCs all infected in the screen above the "teaming up" title ?

That's quite a rush if you ask me, though it depends on their speed of course.

Zabka

It could look exactly like Crackdown 1 and I'd be happy with it, as long as they fix the "No Man's Land" pop-in. The invisible area in the distance between where cars disappeared and the simple, long-distance cars appeared was irritating.

Ramenman

Well my only really "technical" concern about Crackdown is the impossibility to run it from the hard drive.
Which shouldn't be a problem for 2, unless Ruffian is very very dumb or does something very very wrong.

S1kkZ

played crackdown 1 last week and as far as i can tell from those scans:

-much better character models
-cars seem to have a lot more detail
-better lighting effects

to me, the scans look much better then c1.
and btw: crackdown is still a great looking game.

i hope we get to see a gameplay video at tgs.

Ramenman

szaromir said:
They were already in the CG trailer, what's the big deal?

Not for me, some people just assumed they were gone according to the GI article for some reason. We all have our own interpretations of an article summary, just like some of us think the city is gonna be a straight copy-paste.

Half-full, half-empty, that kind of stuff.

Wiggum2007

High quality scans are now floating around out there for anyone who's interested. The freaks look kinda goofy but hopefully fun to fight, and the description of ambient events throughout the city is cool. Not liking that the road grid is exactly the same though, and the couple comparison pics between environments in the first game in the sequel have exactly the same buildings and architecture, just slightly different textures and lighting to make them look more run down.

I saw some really high quality scans, yeah not a big graphical bump but there have been visual improvements that are noticeable and the game looks good. The zombies do look dumb, quite dumb, in my opinion. My first thought when I heard it was the same city was that I don't want to play in the same environment as I did in a game i've already played to death, but I figure that familiarity is good as long as it doesn't feel tired or old while i'm playing it. As long as there is enough going on in the game and let's not exaggerate things here it will look different to a degree (as the scans showed) it'll be fine and won't affect how good the gameplay is, therefore it's a nonissue.

The game is probably a year away, I wouldn't worry about a super-early preview build. most people said crackdown 1 looked like shit when it was a year out too.

Game Informer said:
"One of the things we're trying to do is get a decent weapons progression," lead designer Steve Iannetta tells us. "The first game failed in that you could go across to one of the later islands, get a more powerful weapon, and basically rocket-launcher your way to success."

Fuck Crackdown 2.

I hope they paid attention to Infamous and took notes.

I'm really on board for this game. I just hope they add more dark elements without ripping out all the light hearted elements of Crackdown. I like addition but not subtraction, capeche?

bridegur

"One of the things we're trying to do is get a decent weapons progression," lead designer Steve Iannetta tells us. "The first game failed in that you could go across to one of the later islands, get a more powerful weapon, and basically rocket-launcher your way to success."

That was one of the things I liked about Crackdown. You actually felt sort of free to do what you wanted, unlike most other sandbox games.

mujun

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I hope they paid attention to Infamous and took notes.

I hope they didn't. I liked it but I don't think there is much that they could take from it that wasn't already done well enough in the first game.

soldat7

bridegur said:
That was one of the things I liked about Crackdown. You actually felt sort of free to do what you wanted, unlike most other sandbox games.

Crackdown succeeded because of the constant level progression and the feeling of continually becoming more and more powerful, not because you could fetch a rocket lawnchair early in the game if you knew where to go.

bridegur

soldat7 said:
Crackdown succeeded because of the constant level progression and the feeling of continually becoming more and more powerful, not because you could fetch a rocket lawnchair early in the game if you knew where to go.

That was part of it, but it was also nice to know that if I wanted to do something, there were no artificial restraints put in place by the developers.

Top Bottom