• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 2 ANNOUNCED

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
-The city hasn't changed in architect, all the roads are the same. Some buildings have been demolished and other small things, but over all it's the same city.
Yup, same city is quite a letdown. I already know every corner of the original city and was really hyped to explore and do shit at a new place. Here's hoping that they'll mix things up a lot with new stuff to make up for it.

couldn't care less about coop, that shit is for geeks

GIVE me a meaty single player like the first one and I'll buy two copies, one to release some masculine substance over it while I'm playing mutaf'n Crackdown 2

painey said:
this same city shit has to stop, not only is it a cop out but a fuck you to people who bought and played the original. Saints Row 2 was practically stale out of the box because it was the same fucking city.

Yeah..so stale it averaged 8 out of 10.

GTAIV mustve felt pretty stale to you as well (Liberty City).
How about Yakuza 2 (Osaka, Shinjuku)?

..People have no imagination, I swear.. :lol

Kydd BlaZe

abacab driver said:

I think you misunderstand whats going on here. The Liberty City comparison doesn't apply here because it was a different city from what we all played in GTA III; only similar in name. I haven't played any of the Yakuza series so I can't comment on that.

The G.I. article pretty much confirms that we're getting the EXACT same city from the original, with a few changes here and there, but it has the same roads/buildings from the original. So in a sense, its going to have that "been there, done that" feel to it, almost instantly.

abacab driver said:

GTA4 is a crap example, as the city in it is totally new. In Yakuza, the city is just a backdrop, not really an integral part of the game (as it is in Crackdown). The whole game is about jumping around and exploring the city, of course it's important whether you get a new one or not.

Brakara

FFChris said:
Is two player local co-op too much to ask?

For an open world game, yes. Remember that data is constantly streaming from the disc, and two people in two different parts of the city at the same time would fuck that up. And even if the streaming was somehow solved, there would be a lot less memory available for each area the players are in. The only way to solve it would be to restrict both players to be within a (very) short distance from each other, but that would kinda go against the whole open world thing.

Sydle

Flachmatuch said:
GTA4 is a crap example, as the city in it is totally new. In Yakuza, the city is just a backdrop, not really an integral part of the game (as it is in Crackdown). The whole game is about jumping around and exploring the city, of course it's important whether you get a new one or not.

The game was about reclaiming the city from gangs, with level design that allowed you to traverse the city as you wanted to. It was not just about jumping around and exploring.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
God's Beard said:
GTA Vice City and San Andreas were both set on the same planet as well.

hardy har har.

it's the same planet in the metroid games, you cover much of the same ground, but what makes it interesting is the way in which the new environment is utilized to not only invoke nostalgia but also to subvert your expectations for the way things will play out.

like Master Ninja said, this could potentially be more interesting than a new city, presuming they're smart about it.

Anyway, somehow these things don't really fill me with optimism. Same city, less orb hunting and smaller emphasis on bosses sounds silly, because the things I loved best about Crackdown were the exploration and platforming, the orb hunting and the bosses. In fact, these were the things that made the game unique (and which Prototype didn't really get at all).

Paco said:
The game was about reclaiming the city from gangs, with level design that allowed you to traverse the city as you wanted to. It was not just about jumping around and exploring.

Ok, smartass. A lot of the game was about jumping around and exploring. Talk about nitpicking.

bigGIRLSblouse said:
I am ok with the same city IF.. they contact Volition and use the Geo Mod 2.0 engine.. Please.. pretty please!

This has been my dream for a while in combination with godzilla sized bosses from time to time.

Sydle

Flachmatuch said:
Ok, smartass. A lot of the game was about jumping around and exploring. Talk about nitpicking.

Just saying, the third-person action focus, the core of the original, is most certainly returning. The secodary draw of jumping around, or scaling buildings will still be there. I suppose the exploration could be lost, but if Ruffian is smart about the way the city changes over time, then you'll have motive to explore the city over and over to find those changes.

We'll see, but in any case it's a bit early to start crying about it.

Flachmatuch said:

Technically yes GTA is not a great example (because it was re-done).
Saints Row and Yakuza are totally valid examples, and the fact that they kept the same setting didnt affect them in the slightest..because the setting is a major character..not just a 'backdrop'.

Just because Crackdown an open world game and you just so happen to be able to scale/explore Crackdowns setting in full doesn't mean the city isnt a character worth revisiting/maintaining.
You feel Pacific City is just a playground, but its a setting brilliantly designed to serve as alternative transportation for you to reclaim turf (which was the goal of Crackdown). And they plan on breathing new life into Pacific City.
Whether you 'buy that' or not, is totally subjective. Its a video game.

What I cant fathom is how people think they would keep the city "exactly" like it was in part 1..as if every 'nook and cranny' were so proud to know will remain intact.
They made it perfectly clear, the city has changed and there will definitely be more to it than just the same exact sandbox.
If pacific city stays exactly the same, you best believe there will be some major underground stuff coming.

EYEL1NER

Dipswitch said:
Yeah, I'm not happy about that either. One of the things I enjoyed most about the first Crackdown (Or any sandbox game for that matter) was exploring the various environments. Keeping the city mostly the same will make the second game seem repetitive, right off the bat. Given that this decision was likely made to save development time, it just seems lazy IMO.
Or maybe instead of saving development time, the decision was made because you are an agent for an organization that was supposed to protect the city. Why the fuck would the sequel take place in space or the Sahara Desert? Of course it would take place in the same city! Anyone who expected diferently after beating the first game obviously has zero common sense...

Lakitu

st5fu
I can't wait for this, I don't mind that it is the same city, since the original city was just so well designed it was the mission types and the repetitiveness of the combat that let it down.

EYEL1NER said:
Why the fuck would the sequel take place in space or the Sahara Desert?.

What an idiotic response. Who said anything about changing the nature of the environment? How about an Agency in a different city? I'm alright with the setting as long as the city has been properly modified to remain fresh, but there's really nothing off with wanting, or expecting, a new city.

Paco said:
Just saying, the third-person action focus, the core of the original, is most certainly returning. The secodary draw of jumping around, or scaling buildings will still be there. I suppose the exploration could be lost, but if Ruffian is smart about the way the city changes over time, then you'll have motive to explore the city over and over to find those changes.

We'll see, but in any case it's a bit early to start crying about it.

It's just that the game sounds a lot more like Prototype than Crackdown now. The third person action might have been the "core", but it surely wasn't what drew people in and made the game unique, and even if it's improved tenfold, it wouldn't really mean much. You might consider the jumping "secondary", but that's what most people loved about the game (at least that's my impression), not the combat or the vehicles or anything else. You get awesome vehicles and shooting in about a million other 360 games, I don't think I'd care about a Crackdown that was the same as those. At least there's no mention of parkour (yet) :)

LQX

I don't know about this same city business. This is a game where basically the point was to cover the whole city so many know it very well and I wonder if it will basically feel the same game to us. GTA: IV was the same city but it was after a few games in the series and so much dept was added to it that it became like a whole new city. If they can maybe re-imagine it like GTA: IV I guess it could be ok but if its the same damn thing they might as well call it an expansion pack. I guess the new team could not handle doing everything thing from the ground up.

abacab driver said:
Technically yes GTA is not a great example (because it was re-done).

Saints Row and Yakuza are totally valid examples, and the fact that they kept the same setting didnt affect them in the slightest..because the setting is a major character..not just a 'backdrop'.

It still didn't matter nearly as much as in Crackdown (and I never mentioned SR, as I didn't like it, although I know it's probably a good game).

Just because Crackdown an open world game and you just so happen to be able to scale/explore Crackdowns setting in full doesn't mean the city isnt a character worth revisiting/maintaining.
You feel Pacific City is just a playground, but its a setting brilliantly designed to serve as alternative transportation for you to reclaim turf (which was the goal of Crackdown). And they plan on breathing new life into Pacific City.
Whether you 'buy that' or not, is totally subjective. Its a video game.

You can't seriously say that the design of the town in Crackdown and Yakuza is of the same importance. In Crackdown you could jump from one rooftop to another - the city was part of the game. In Yakuza, you only *see* the city, "character" or not (and I love Yakuza even more than I do Crackdown). Never mentioned SR and SR2 (but of course there are people who felt that the lack of a new city in SR2 was not very good).

What I cant fathom is how people think they would keep the city "exactly" like it was in part 1..as if every 'nook and cranny' were so proud to know will remain intact.
They made it perfectly clear, the city has changed and there will definitely be more to it than just the same exact sandbox.
If pacific city stays exactly the same, you best believe there will be some major underground stuff coming.

I certainly hope so, and I hope it'll have as much of the awesome jumping as the first one. On the other hand, the choice of improvements in that list isn't really that encouraging imo. As far as I know, this is not the same team either, so it's a bit more difficult for me to give them the benefit of doubt. I'm kind of afraid that this'll turn into a version of Prototype :-/ Crackdown is almost the only HD game I really enjoyed this gen, so I'm probably a bit too conservative when I see it getting turned into stuff I don't like :)

Sydle

Flachmatuch said:
It's just that the game sounds a lot more like Prototype than Crackdown now. The third person action might have been the "core", but it surely wasn't what drew people in and made the game unique, and even if it's improved tenfold, it wouldn't really mean much. You might consider the jumping "secondary", but that's what most people loved about the game (at least that's my impression), not the combat or the vehicles or anything else. You get awesome vehicles and shooting in about a million other 360 games, I don't think I'd care about a Crackdown that was the same as those. At least there's no mention of parkour (yet) :)

I haven't played Prototype yet, so I can't draw the parallel.

The update didn't read like jumping around is out of the game. Also, I don't know anyone that just jumped around for the hell of it, because that sounds terribly dull. They were scaling buildings to get to something. All I'm suggesting is that Ruffian may still have reason for us to jump around and explore the city, but for different reasons than simply finding agility orbs (because the original already did that).

dork

Banned
a demo/beta for crackdown 2 should come with halo reach

:p

actually odst because i want to play crackdown now and odst is closer

Paco said:
I haven't played Prototype yet, so I can't draw the parallel.

The update didn't read like jumping around is out of the game. Also, I don't know anyone that just jumped around for the hell of it, because that sounds terribly dull. They were scaling buildings to get to something. All I'm suggesting is that Ruffian may still have reason for us to jump around and explore the city, but for different reasons than simply finding agility orbs (because the original already did that).

Yeah, it's just that it decreased my level of confidence for some reason. My problem is that not a single one of the bullet points had to do with what I love about the game, except possibly making it worse. I don't give a shit about weapons or vehicles, melee attacks, mounted turrets and gritty graphics. You can get all of this shit in other games. It's not that it's bad that they're in Crackdown, but they're really secondary. (I'm actually pretty sure that these are the secondary things in Crackdown and not the jumping, because if these were the important ones, nobody would have played the first game because the actual action part was not exactly brilliant.)

EYEL1NER

AltogetherAndrews said:
What an idiotic response. Who said anything about changing the nature of the environment? How about an Agency in a different city? I'm alright with the setting as long as the city has been properly modified to remain fresh, but there's really nothing off with wanting, or expecting, a new city.
Placing it in space or the Sahara Desert would be as idiotic as placing the story in another city. The city in Crackdown is as important as the main character itself. It is a living breathing entity. Pacific City is the focus of the first game.

End of game reveal:
"Agency Director: Who do you think supplied Los Muertos? Who do you think turned a blind eye to the Volk's activities? Who do you think was Shai-Gen's biggest supporter? Who do you think ran organized law ... And ran it into the ground? The people had to experience firsthand absolute anarchy before they would accept unconditional control. You are the portent of a new world order, Agent. Pacific City was only the beginning."

Other cities could have been a possiblity, except your goal is to prevent that future from happening, where they are a New World Order. The story continues in Pacific City.

Maybe you feel you could have written something better for Crackdown 2, but I am glad you didn't, because I don't want to play another "world in ruins, no hope for anything" game. I am going to prevent The Agency's goals from reaching fruition. I'm a bad-ass hero, the first game being an example. How did I fail and let the world get taken over?

Sydle

Flachmatuch said:
Yeah, it's just that it decreased my level of confidence for some reason. My problem is that not a single one of the bullet points had to do with what I love about the game, except possibly making it worse. I don't give a shit about weapons or vehicles, melee attacks, mounted turrets and gritty graphics. You can get all of this shit in other games. It's not that it's bad that they're in Crackdown, but they're really secondary. (I'm actually pretty sure that these are the secondary things in Crackdown and not the jumping, because if these were the important ones, nobody would have played the first game because the actual action part was not exactly brilliant.)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the platforming, but it had meaning because I was always trying to get to the next objective. After I exhausted an area of gang members and agility orbs then there was no reason for me to go back (until I reset the gang members). I had more fun stealing cars, blowing up gang members with chain explosions, fighting on roofttops to round kick someone off, collect agility orbs along the way, etc. It was all of those things that made Crackdown fun; I can't understand anyone who enjoyed just the jumping around and exploring.

IDK, I'm giving Ruffian the benefit of the doubt and expecting they'll give us a reason to enjoy the same city with new objectives. If they don't then I would consider it quite a big fuck up.

Hmm, you're right, blowing shit up was huge fun too :-D Oh well, I'll just reset the original and play it again. The platforming (and you're right, it was very much encouraged by the agility orbs) was the high point for me though, but maybe the rest of the game wasn't that bad either? Have to play it again to find out, maybe I missed something in my previous dozen or so playthroughs :-D

Sydle

Flachmatuch said:
Hmm, you're right, blowing shit up was huge fun too :-D Oh well, I'll just reset the original and play it again. The platforming (and you're right, it was very much encouraged by the agility orbs) was the high point for me though, but maybe the rest of the game wasn't that bad either? Have to play it again to find out, maybe I missed something in my previous dozen or so playthroughs :-D

Now I can understand how revisiting the same city could be a negative. I've played through it only once, so I'm not nearly as familiar as you are with the city.

Philthy

Flachmatuch said:
Anyway, somehow these things don't really fill me with optimism. Same city, less orb hunting and smaller emphasis on bosses sounds silly, because the things I loved best about Crackdown were the exploration and platforming, the orb hunting and the bosses. In fact, these were the things that made the game unique (and which Prototype didn't really get at all).

This is really how I felt about the first one as well. The bosses in the game, while mostly easy to defeat, were some of the best moments of the game. Each one was set up pretty different, and led to some interesting, if not completely awesome shoot outs. When I wasn't tracking down the next boss to kill, I was exploring the cityscape jumping building to building while grabbing as many orbs as I could.

We don't need less bosses, orbs, and city. We need more more more MORE.

Did people honestly use the vehicles other than to get to missions that were just too far away or get the achievements? I mostly just used building jumping to get everywhere in the game because it was so much more FUN.

Ramenman

Mrbob said:
A civilian gang took down the agency? And then fixed the agent program?? Really?

It's fucking CRACKDOWN, dude :D

HiResDes said:
Honestly some linear story elements coupled with more varied missions would help out a lot.

I hate you. Please be off to play something else.

@Philthy: Well upgrading your driving skill is quite fun too, especially because of how the agency cars evolve, but I never really "used" the cars for anything, not even getting to far off missions. Jumping around was always more fun.

Paco said:
Now I can understand how revisiting the same city could be a negative. I've played through it only once, so I'm not nearly as familiar as you are with the city.

I'm actually pretty crap at finding my way around places so it took me a while :) I haven't collected all orbs either because I prefer to start a new game from scratch, because I actually enjoy playing the game for itself and not the rewards, which is very rare for me with newer games.

Sydle

Philthy said:
This is really how I felt about the first one as well. The bosses in the game, while mostly easy to defeat, were some of the best moments of the game. Each one was set up pretty different, and led to some interesting, if not completely awesome shoot outs. When I wasn't tracking down the next boss to kill, I was exploring the cityscape jumping building to building while grabbing as many orbs as I could.

We don't need less bosses, orbs, and city. We need more more more MORE.

Did people honestly use the vehicles other than to get to missions that were just too far away or get the achievements? I mostly just used building jumping to get everywhere in the game because it was so much more FUN.

You didn't do any of the races, jump challenges, or car collections for the agency? You didn't ever try to take out several gang members with a drift in a sports car, or break down a gang security perimeter with a mac truck? Really?

Dural

EYEL1NER said:
Or maybe instead of saving development time, the decision was made because you are an agent for an organization that was supposed to protect the city. Why the fuck would the sequel take place in space or the Sahara Desert? Of course it would take place in the same city! Anyone who expected diferently after beating the first game obviously has zero common sense...

Uh, the ending to Crackdown said Pacific City was only the beginning.

Ramenman said:
Please don't give them ideas. PLEASE D:

I wouldn't mind some more fluid motions, though. The jump - grab - heave is a pretty limited moveset, not least in terms of visual feedback. Having your agent traverse smaller obstacles automatically by sliding across them would be neat. Chain-jumps would also be cool.

Wow, the whole "evolving city" concept and the "dynamic events" should make the city feel very alive. I don't mind it taking place in the same city after reading that. It's not like they're just re-releasing Crackdown 1 in a Crackdown 2 box.

Paco said:
You didn't do any of the races, jump challenges, or car collections for the agency? You didn't ever try to take out several gang members with a drift in a sports car, or break down a gang security perimeter with a mac truck? Really?

I know this wasn't directed at me but actually, not really. Upgraded my driving skills using the agency cars and that was all. Whenever I decide to go do a driving mission or anything like that, I get distracted by the city :-D

AltogetherAndrews said:
I wouldn't mind some more fluid motions, though. The jump - grab - heave is a pretty limited moveset, not least in terms of visual feedback. Having your agent traverse smaller obstacles automatically by sliding across them would be neat. Chain-jumps would also be cool.

As long as it makes the platforming more involved and controllable and doesn't take the skill out of it. It could be a bit faster, but no fully automatic running up walls please.

Ramenman

Oh and, about the "new team" stuff, keep in mind that a sizeable chunk of Ruffian directly comes from the dev team of the original Crackdown...

AltogetherAndrews said:

I admit being able to chain jumps would be pretty cool.

Ramenman

Flachmatuch said:
I know this wasn't directed at me but actually, not really. Upgraded my driving skills using the agency cars and that was all. Whenever I decide to go do a driving mission or anything like that, I get distracted by the city :-D

Nice to know I wasn't alone :D

I did use big trucks sometimes, but it was really only to smash them through ennemy lines and let them explode.

I also drove a bit more around the city when I bought the DLC and realized I could harpoon a dozen corpses to a car with the harpoon gun and then drive it around :D

Flachmatuch said:
As long as it makes the platforming more involved and controllable and doesn't take the skill out of it. It could be a bit faster, but no fully automatic running up walls please.

Well, you're not going to see me recommend anything from Hulk UD/Prototype any time soon. I want it to remain very much Crackdown, but I think there's room for improvements within the format.

Sydle

Flachmatuch said:

I didn't start focusing on car challenges and fun until I had collected most of the orbs. In other words, I didn't have a reason to scale the buildings any more, so I started having fun in the streets.

To each his own, I hope Ruffian can offer the variety again.

GhaleonEB

TitaniumGroceries said:
Wow, the whole "evolving city" concept and the "dynamic events" should make the city feel very alive. I don't mind it taking place in the same city after reading that. It's not like they're just re-releasing Crackdown 1 in a Crackdown 2 box.
Yeah, that is something I really want to see. There's some concept art for Crackdown 1 I remember that had the Agent standing there overlooking the destruction he's wrought, and there's cars, street lights, bodies strewn about - but also a few partially destroyed buildings. A slowly degenerating city could be very interesting. Imagine if they brought down Wang's Tower.

Majmun

-All repetitiveness is completely removed. And less shitty boss battles.

Best news so far. Crackdown's missions were so repetitive. It was the only negative thing about the game, imo.

I'm really looking forward to Crackdown 2, but I'm not interested in co-op or other online features...

I have a hard time getting interested in the co-op due to having had no luck playing the first one with people across the pond. I hadn't played a game that laggy since the ISDN days.

Rad-

-Four player Co-Op

-16 player Competitive Multiplayer. Tons of fun. Players collect special weapons, bonuses, and gadgets. Progression system like CoD4.

-All repetitiveness is completely removed. And less shitty boss battles.

Oh hell yes. :D

Top Bottom